Why?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PRPFX Should Replace Swiss Franc with Japanese Yen

Post by MediumTex »

The Japanese yen provides the deflation protection that PRPFX lacks in its light treasury exposure.

PRPFX has plenty of inflation protection without the Swiss francs.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Why such confidence in the Yen?
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

In 'Best Laid Plans', I think Harry specifically said "It should not be Japanese yen" (nor one other currency) when he talked about previously incorporating the Swiss franc into the mix. But, it sounds like you're saying the yen would not even be serving the purpose that francs serve, right?

Harry took out the franc because gold does the job  of inflation protection better on its own.
Would treasuries (adding more treasurys to PRPFX) do a better job of protecting against deflation than adding the franc?
If not, do you think DIY'ers should be buying FXF for their portfolios? Edit: whoops, I mean FXY.
Last edited by dualstow on Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I don't think foreign currencies have any role in the PP at all.

I think what PRPFX does with the Swiss franc outlived its usefulness long ago.

If, however, you have to have a foreign currency in the PP, the yen has ironically been the one that would have provided the most safety in recent years.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
stone
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stone »

I don't think it is so ironic that the Yen has been the best protector amoungst currencies. The awfulness of the Japanese stock market and immense level of Japanese savings has meant that the Japanese have massive exposure to stocks etc outside Japan. In every panic that money gets repatriated to Japan and so the Yen value spikes. Also the Yen value is despite it being actively managed down in value by the Japanese central bank against an export driven currency strengthening impetus. By contrast the current Swiss Franc value seems a fragile figment of investor sentiment. I agree that gold has the great advantage that it is a global alternative to currency. Warren Buffet (I think) used Brazilian Real bonds as foreign currency exposure from just after the four fold devaluation of the Real against the USD in the late 90's (the devaluation then reversed with >10% interest being paid whilst it did so). I guess that was a one off oppertunity that has been and gone and most people presumed would have been a disaster at the time.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Mulla Nasrudin
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MediumTex wrote: I don't think foreign currencies have any role in the PP at all.

I think what PRPFX does with the Swiss franc outlived its usefulness long ago.

If, however, you have to have a foreign currency in the PP, the yen has ironically been the one that would have provided the most safety in recent years.
In a true PP gold is your "foreign" currency. Once upon a time the Swiss Franc was synonymous with gold. If my memory has not failed Switzerland was the last country to decouple its currency from gold. But I agree, it has lost it's status as a real reserve currency. I am not sure if I agree with the Yen having a spot in PRPFX but I can't think of any reason why the CHF is still in it.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.