Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trump Wins - post-game discussion

Post by TennPaGa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:25 am

From PredictIt. I guess the free market isn't perfect after all, huh? ;)

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:53 am

This letter is from a friend's cousin; he lived through WWII in Poland. Thought it was worth posting:

I think it was Göbbels, who created the premise that people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one and if you repeat it often enough people will eventually believe it. That is not necessarily true. I remember that we seldom believed Nazi propaganda and my father listened to BBC for the truth about the war. We kids had to make noise while he tried to tune in the station and I remember that the broadcast started with Big Ben striking the hour. I was thrilled years later, when I was in London, to hear Big Ben in person. The Communists lied to the point that whatever they said was interpreted as the opposite being true. Jokes were circulating about Russians, who believed in what they were told. When they put a man in space, most people, who were exposed to their propaganda before, didn’t believe them and it took years before it was accepted.

When Obama got on TV and told us of the wonderful economic recovery under his administration, plus the jobs he created and unemployment being way down, while his health care plan insured millions of new people at a lower cost, people started to doubt. He told us that we are winning the war against the terrorists at the same time that ISIS was created and we were experiencing Muslim attacks all over the place, which were called “workplace violence” or some other term, as long as it would distance it from Muslim terrorists. The media, press and TV, went along with it and was full of cheerleaders for Obama, but the more they assured us of their successes, the more the people started to doubt.

Hillary raised around $1.3 billion for her campaign (over $20 for each vote she received) and much of it was channeled into advertising and trying to convince people that she did nothing wrong in Benghazi, with her e-mails and at the Clinton Foundation. I think that this had the same effect as lies by Obama, Nazis and Communists. The more we saw the ads and denials, the more people were convinced that they were lying and the opposite is true. This was manifested during the election, where even traditional Democrat districts voted for Trump.

We now have a crisis among young people. At Yale, exams are postponed because the students can’t cope with Hillary’s loss. In other places they get counseling on how to deal with such crisis and I saw a high school in California, which just gave the student a day off to lick their wounds. We see pictures of young people crying and we have protest marches, but those may be an excuse to just loot and destroy property, while the dummies carry signs and burn the flag.

Counseling for major or minor disappointments is an outgrowth of our cuddling the kids, not wanting to hurt their feeling, the ban on spanking and other PC stuff. Everyone gets a trophy now, even the last place team. Maybe someone should give Hillary a participation trophy so that they can all go away satisfied.
Rev 22:6-21
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:27 am

This graph tells an interesting story. There wasn't an outpouring of votes for Trump, just a lack of votes for a very bad Democrat candidate.

clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am

Desert wrote:This graph tells an interesting story. There wasn't an outpouring of votes for Trump, just a lack of votes for a very bad Democrat candidate.

I think it more speaks to Obama's ability to get out the vote. He was a great campaigner, and nearly impossible to beat based on demographics.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 am

"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:17 am

I started writing a blog post this morning about how to be calm during this tumultuous time, beginning with a seciton about how people on both sides are lashing out with violence. Then I realized this was just an assumption, and I should seek out some evidence to back it up.

I very quickly found a lot of local news stories and video evidence of Republicans and Trump supporters being physically attacked for their views:
California high school girl attacked for supporting Trump
11-year-old boy attacked and put in crutches for voting Trump in mock school election
Elderly Trump voter attacked in the street
Anti-Trump rioters in Portland, OR deface buildings, smash shopfronts and cars, set fire to trees
Mob attacks Black female homeless Trump supporter

There were many more. These were just some highlights; it really was a near-endless stream of documented, verifiable, in-progress leftist violence against the right.

After a while, I got a bit nervous. I wasn't really finding much video evidence of rightist violence. I started looking really really hard. I only found two:
Brawl between Blacks, Mexicans and Trump supporters
Brawl between teenage Mexicans and a Trump supporter

It's not even clear who started these fights, and the Trump supporters appear to be badly outmatched.

I only found one remotely verifiable incident of right-on-left violence:
Gay man attacked by Trump supporters hours after win

Now, there are lots of unconfirmed stories. Principally stories of Muslim women attacked and black people intimidated by white supremacists. But all of it is completely anecdotal and unverifiable. There's a whole category of tweets by supposed victims of right-wing violence--none of it verifiable in the least. There's been a lot of photo and video evidence of racist graffiti, but no evidence of who scrawled it. I'm sure some of this stuff is legit, but it sure is curious that there's no evidence for any of it, and no local news stories to confirm anything. I'm not saying this is necessarily some kind of psy-ops campaign, but if I was going to run one, that's how I would do it. It's especially striking when compared to the copious amounts of video evidence of leftists engaging in bad behavior that you can see with your own eyes. Just do a YouTube search for "Trump supporters attacked" and you can see it for yourself. Do the same for "Hillary supporters attacked" You find nothing but videos about Hillary supporters attacking others! Trump supporters, homeless people, children--everyone.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lowe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 am

Trump’s Immigration ‘To Do’ List Takes Shape
Get ready for a “very significant change of course” during the transition from President Barack Obama to President Donald Trump, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said.

Also on that menu is mandatory E-Verify for all employers. The electronic employment verification system checks employees’ information against government databases to ensure they are authorized to work in the U.S. It’s currently optional for most employers.

Mandatory E-Verify “would require congressional action,” and so the transition team is drafting bills that Trump can work with his allies in Congress to introduce, Kobach said.
My emphasis added.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Epic!

President Trump: How & Why...

https://youtu.be/GLG9g7BcjKs
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Lowe wrote:Trump’s Immigration ‘To Do’ List Takes Shape
Get ready for a “very significant change of course” during the transition from President Barack Obama to President Donald Trump, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said.

Also on that menu is mandatory E-Verify for all employers. The electronic employment verification system checks employees’ information against government databases to ensure they are authorized to work in the U.S. It’s currently optional for most employers.

Mandatory E-Verify “would require congressional action,” and so the transition team is drafting bills that Trump can work with his allies in Congress to introduce, Kobach said.
My emphasis added.
That's a great idea, and should have been done a long time ago. Shutting off demand by requiring verification of legality makes infinitely more sense than building a wall.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Scary stuff, PS, scary stuff.

The comments under that whites vs Mexicans brawl assert that this video is years old, however, and is gang-related.
Dow down 600+ points. Gold- well, see AdamSmith’s post in the gold scream rm
one of the cnbc guys I dislike just said you can track silver to the President’s tweets
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:16 pm

On the news, I did see middle schoolers chanting "build the wall" at their Hispanic classmates, as well as students in a different school shouting white power. No violence in either case, but pretty disappointing.
Dow down 600+ points. Gold- well, see AdamSmith’s post in the gold scream rm
one of the cnbc guys I dislike just said you can track silver to the President’s tweets
TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by TennPaGa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Yeah, that is some awful stuff, PS. I had seen (via Scott Adams) that "Elderly Trump voter attacked in streets" video. Don't really want to watch any others. FWIW, listened to Democracy Now on the drive home, and they discussed some pro-Trump people doing bad stuff (don't remember if any of it was actual physical violence though... in any case, anti-Trump violence was not mentioned). My point is not that one group is worse than the other (though one might be... the anti-Trump people seem to be more emboldened to be violent for now... thankfully, there is not alot of it in the overall scheme of things).

I suppose I wish that both Obama and Trump would take time out to say: "Hey. HEY. HEY. YOU. CUT THAT SHIT OUT. THIS IS NOT HOW WE ROLL."