YouTube Junkie

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A3maCgQX9rg

This sums up my mixed feelings about abortion.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:15 pm

Jack Jones wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:10 am
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A3maCgQX9rg

This sums up my mixed feelings about abortion.
SPOILER: I clicked to see if it was Bill Burr, because I share the same feelings as him as expressed (sincerely, I think) at the end of his Red Rocks act. And it is Bill Burr!
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by joypog » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:29 pm

WhistlinDiesel decides to follow the example of Top Gear and beat the daylights out of a Toyota Hilux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl1FNX08HFc
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
User avatar
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by joypog » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:35 am

Just watched Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (the original anime version) on Tubi. It's really good, well worth the hour and a half.

For context, the setting is in an alternate history post-WW2 Japan - where they sided with the USA but lost to the Germans. There's a whole big world around this film - which I know nothing about - so I can attest this film stands on its own.

https://tubitv.com/video/460471
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
User avatar
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by joypog » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:34 am

We've been watching quite a bit of Stephen Malinowski's "Music Animations" on youtube.

It's great for groking the structure of fugues, and have been getting us to listen/watch various other classical pieces over dinner.

The boy had a grand old time marching around to Sousa
last night.

On his website are some of pages listing his initial recommendations, youtube highlights, and how-to.

This is an example of what the web would offer when the internet was an optimistic place (he doesn't even monetize his youtube videos!).
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
User avatar
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by joypog » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:37 pm

https://youtu.be/LsGZ_2RuJ2A

An amazing short.

Before you find out this was all done by one guy.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4020
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:37 pm

And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
User avatar
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by joypog » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:37 pm

3 years ago, Tod's workshop did a great arrows vs breastplate video. Now they've done the top half altogether. Just brilliant, both of the main videos as well as the ancillary ones. ALL worth watching.

https://youtu.be/ds-Ev5msyzo
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everybody
https://youtu.be/IG3kTib73iA
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:32 am

Something Smithy could try with his dog :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VX1V_96wyk
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am

Doesn’t this just pop

https://youtu.be/DULtC-_dDu4
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am

Doesn’t this just pop

https://youtu.be/DULtC-_dDu4


For certain!

Thanks!

By the way, just after that song ended YouTube went into a live video of Samantha Fish playing the classic "War Pigs". Certainly a classic when the song is still actively being played when it is now over 51 years old!

Recommend you also watch her video. Saw her perform live last year. Had never prior heard of her but she fell into the category of me being completely pleasantly surprised. She plays the guitar quite well and is an excellent overall entertainer. I hope I get to experience her live again.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am
Doesn’t this just pop

https://youtu.be/DULtC-_dDu4
For certain!


That guy is the master, Vinny (Bill McClintock). His mashups are artful. Rob Zombie’s Dragula mixed with the Trammps’ Disco Inferno: perfect. Too many to mention. Many a Sabbath mix.

I’ll check out Samantha Fish, thanks.
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:40 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am

Doesn’t this just pop

https://youtu.be/DULtC-_dDu4


For certain!


That guy is the master, Vinny (Bill McClintock). His mashups are artful. Rob Zombie’s Dragula mixed with the Trammps’ Disco Inferno: perfect. Too many to mention. Many a Sabbath mix.

I’ll check out Samantha Fish, thanks.


That Samantha Fish song then led into a live show, which I've had on since (alongside with C-Span's Washington Journal, of course).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm

Great version of this song!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fUv_hoMXU

Within You Without You Easy Star All-Stars
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Hal » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 am

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:42 pm

another great week, another great ride

https://youtu.be/m3_aGlMk9a8
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:24 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:42 pm

another great week, another great ride

https://youtu.be/m3_aGlMk9a8


Sounds good. Is there some history behind this? I no context for the title of the video.

I pause a Talking Heads marathon to listen to it.

However, upon conclusion of that video did you also get Samantha Fish? I have never understood on what basis YouTube decides to play the next video after the one you choose ended.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 am

is there some history behind this?
Since 2020, Kurstin and Grohl have covered eight songs per year for this project, and released one per night to digital streaming platforms for each night of Hanukkah.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanukkah_Sessions
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:38 pm

As long as I’m in a Randy Newman kind of mood, I dedicate this to Silent Majority, I_shrugged, and Stuper

https://youtu.be/R5mAuPg1ZZw
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4020
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 am
is there some history behind this?
Since 2020, Kurstin and Grohl have covered eight songs per year for this project, and released one per night to digital streaming platforms for each night of Hanukkah.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanukkah_Sessions
These are great.

I felt like they could have done more with Blitzkrieg Bop... Hey oy, let's goy! Briss peen chop!
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by Hal » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:13 am

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:02 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:01 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 am
is there some history behind this?
Since 2020, Kurstin and Grohl have covered eight songs per year for this project, and released one per night to digital streaming platforms for each night of Hanukkah.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanukkah_Sessions
These are great.

I felt like they could have done more with Blitzkrieg Bop... Hey oy, let's goy! Briss peen chop!
😂
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by glennds » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:23 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm
Great version of this song!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fUv_hoMXU

Within You Without You Easy Star All-Stars
Vinny, look up the whole album. Easy All Stars did a complete reggae version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, beginning to end. They also did one for Dark Side of the Moon. Both are really good.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13338
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: YouTube Junkie

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:59 am

glennds wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:23 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 pm
Great version of this song!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fUv_hoMXU

Within You Without You Easy Star All-Stars
Vinny, look up the whole album. Easy All Stars did a complete reggae version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, beginning to end. They also did one for Dark Side of the Moon. Both are really good.
Hah! I love it
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Iran's looking bright lately. Especially at night
Gold pulls back to 1900
Post Reply