Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am
Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.
As a reader I ALWAYS want subtitles for ALL movies. They actually put a lot of the screen of what is said that you'd never actually hear (even while wearing headphones). I'm now severely disappointed whenever a movie does NOT provide subtitles.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 pm

The 100 Best Movies on Netflix Right Now

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-mo ... t-now.html

The 100 Best Movies on Amazon Prime Right Now

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-mo ... _source=tw
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:20 pm

I am about to give a shot at The Man in the High Castle. I've heard that it's good, though very dark.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:16 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:20 pm
I am about to give a shot at The Man in the High Castle. I've heard that it's good, though very dark.
I watched both seasons. Liked the concept but was overall disappointed in it.

Grade: B-

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:38 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:24 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm
Peaky Blinders is quite good. Someone sent me this really well done spoof of Tommy telling all his guys to self-isolate.
😂 He wiped his eyes! Really good though. 😂
Finally started watching Peaky Blinders, and now I'm hooked. Just finished season 3. Love the soundtrack and the slow-mo badass shots. Also really like the creative anachronistic concept of using a modern rock soundtrack in a series that takes place in the 1920s.

When my favorite actor Tom Hardy appeared in season 2 as the boss of the Jewish gang, I knew I'd made the right choice watching this series. 8)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Finally started watching Peaky Blinders, and now I'm hooked. Just finished season 3. Love the soundtrack and the slow-mo badass shots. Also really like the creative anachronistic concept of using a modern rock soundtrack in a series that takes place in the 1920s.

When my favorite actor Tom Hardy appeared in season 2 as the boss of the Jewish gang, I knew I'd made the right choice watching this series. 8)
Both Bane and Scarecrow are in Peaky Blinders? I gotta watch it now.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 am

Watched Operation Red Sea last night.

Tremendous, impressive movie!

I've seen tons and tons and tons of movies in my life. This one is one of the BEST EVER that I have seen.

It'd fit into the War / Military genre. Struck me the same way Black Hawk Down struck me the first time I saw that movie.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:55 pm

The streaming giant had upended show business long before the pandemic hit. But with a highly unusual management style, its billionaire founder has now positioned his entertainment juggernaut to prosper like few companies in the world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmiel ... 15399b15df

“And to me, that was an immediate lesson,” Sarandos now says. “With all that decision-making power comes responsibility. . . . Reed models that over and over again, and he lets you own the win and he makes you own the loss.”

By Silicon Valley standards, Pure Software had made a successful exit. But it left Hastings with lingering dissatisfaction. In the early days, it had innovated. As it matured, like pretty much every company, it developed policies to safeguard against mistakes, rather than taking smart risks. Pure ended up promoting people “who were great at coloring within the lines,” Hastings says, while the creative mavericks got frustrated and went to work elsewhere.

Hastings acknowledges Disney’s extraordinary feat of logging 50 million subscribers in its first five months, a milestone it took Netflix seven years to reach. Meanwhile, he’s focused on Netflix crossing its next significant milepost: 200 million subscribers and beyond. That means more investment in local content around the world—including as much as $400 million by the end of the year in India. And it means continuing to evaluate his talent so he can continue to empower them to make decisions.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.96 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm

There’s an Australian show called The Letdown about new parents that’s pretty great so far.
I think it’s from 2016.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Saul Goodman has more hair in Better Call Saul than he did in Breaking Bad. This despite Better Call Saul being the newer show. He also has fewer wrinkles.

They really young-ed him up!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:47 pm

American Murder is unique.....and hard to watch...

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:56 pm

Enemy at the Gates is an exceptional movie. Cannot believe it's a 19 year old movie and never knew about it until Monday night.

The battles scenes at the beginning are both realistic and intense.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:56 pm
Enemy at the Gates is an exceptional movie. Cannot believe it's a 19 year old movie and never knew about it until Monday night.

Vinny
That is still the only movie I’ve ever seen with a Holocaust/concentration camp sex scene.
Ed Harris was awesome.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:49 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
That is still the only movie I’ve ever seen with a Holocaust/concentration camp sex scene.
Ed Harris was awesome.
That was NOT a Holocaust / concentration camp. It was where all the Russian snipers were.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:49 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am
Ed Harris was awesome.
That was NOT a Holocaust / concentration camp. It was where all the Russian snipers were.
Could be. My memory is a bit hazy on it as I saw it soon after the release.
But, it may as well have been a camp, regarding the visuals.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

The sex scene was in the sewers or a bunker in Stalingrad. Apparently there was a group of young female snipers in Stalingrad with a cool name. The Untouchables or something like that. If normal soldiers were caught with them in flagrante delicto, the soldier would be shot.

Really good movie anyway.
vnatale wrote:
The battles scenes at the beginning are . . . realistic.
What are you basing this on?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Ah, yes, it was in Ghosts Of The Ostfront, part 3:
Some Russian female soldiers looked like professional wrestlers. These Sniper Girls were like pinup girls, 18, 19, 20 years old, and very pretty. And the battalion saw them coming and thought 'Ohh, heyyy. Some girls in the unit!' and the first thing the commander said was, 'these women were the Untouchables' he called them. 'And if any one of you touches these women, you're going to be off to a penal battalion. So they were the Untouchables. But they earned the respect of this male unit, who started calling them the "Sniper Girls" when they saw what they could do.
Some more:
The Germans didn't like facing women in combat, and they faced a lot of them on the Russian front. There was another unit that the Germans wrote about that they called die Nachthexen; the Night Witches. This was a unit of bomber pilots, all women, and they flew the old-style World War One biplane. These planes were very quiet anyway... And the tactic that the Nightwitches used was to come over the German trenches at night, and then fly wayyy up high, before they cut their engines (turned them off) and let them glide down noiselessly over the Germany trenches and release the bombs when they got real low. And this would FREAK the Germans out. Because they wouldn't hear anything coming, and then all of a sudden the bombs are dropping. And these were the Nachthexen.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm
The sex scene was in the sewers or a bunker in Stalingrad. Apparently there was a group of young female snipers in Stalingrad with a cool name. The Untouchables or something like that. If normal soldiers were caught with them in flagrante delicto, the soldier would be shot.

vnatale wrote:
That for a "war" movie the scenes seemed super realistic and not at all antiseptic.

I did later read that the Russians were not as aggressive as shown in the opening scenes in machine gunning their own solders who had been retreating after having been sent to be their slaughter against the well entrenched German army.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

vnatale wrote:
That for a "war" movie the scenes seemed super realistic and not at all antiseptic.

I did later read that the Russians were not as aggressive as shown in the opening scenes in machine gunning their own solders who had been retreating after having been sent to be their slaughter against the well entrenched German army.

Vinny
I think Kriegs is pointing out that you don't actually know what "realistic" means in a battle. By "realistic" you mean "gory". Which might well be true!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Gotcha
Where did you read that? Dan Carlin talked about Order 227 (Not One Step Backward) quite a bit in Ghosts. If you're interested in the Ostfront at all you should definitely check it out, it's phenomenal. Jocko also talked about it in Jocko 109 Stalingrad: Memories Of Hell, if memory serves.
Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm
I think Kriegs is pointing out that you don't actually know what "realistic" means in a battle. By "realistic" you mean "gory". Which might well be true!
Well, I wasn't thinking like that, but that might be the case as well.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Ah, yes, it was in Ghosts Of The Ostfront, part 3:
Some Russian female soldiers looked like professional wrestlers. These Sniper Girls were like pinup girls, 18, 19, 20 years old, and very pretty. And the battalion saw them coming and thought 'Ohh, heyyy. Some girls in the unit!' and the first thing the commander said was, 'these women were the Untouchables' he called them. 'And if any one of you touches these women, you're going to be off to a penal battalion. So they were the Untouchables. But they earned the respect of this male unit, who started calling them the "Sniper Girls" when they saw what they could do.
Some more:
The Germans didn't like facing women in combat, and they faced a lot of them on the Russian front. There was another unit that the Germans wrote about that they called die Nachthexen; the Night Witches. This was a unit of bomber pilots, all women, and they flew the old-style World War One biplane. These planes were very quiet anyway... And the tactic that the Nightwitches used was to come over the German trenches at night, and then fly wayyy up high, before they cut their engines (turned them off) and let them glide down noiselessly over the Germany trenches and release the bombs when they got real low. And this would FREAK the Germans out. Because they wouldn't hear anything coming, and then all of a sudden the bombs are dropping. And these were the Nachthexen.
Awesome.
Fun off-topic fact: Dr Ruth (before your time, Kriegs?) was a sniper once upon a time. That’s just crazy.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:18 pm

I think I watched a Dr. Ruth show when I was a young kid, but she talked about it in such a non-hot way that I couldn't get into it. Another fun fact: the first girl I screwed in college was an IDF chick O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm

O0 I have to agree Dr Ruth didn’t make it sexy, but she was- is- a fun character.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Enemy at the Gates is one of my favourite movies of all time.

The sex scene is just kind of awkward though. Why does Rachel Weisz have such a look of fear in her eyes?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 am

It's almost like she was pretending to be in Stalingrad in 1942.