Netflix junkie

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by dualstow »

I remember being very excited about Mad Max when it came out, but I was only like 9 years old. I think there are a lot of movies that don’t have the same punch as when they were first released.
I was watching ‘Five Easy Pieces’ for the first time in the 90s at someone’s house and her elderly guest (a non-native of English) said, “…but when it was done, it was something!”. Jack Nicholson was still great, but I guess some of the stuff it pioneered was already a well trodden path by the 90s.

As for gold, I never really think about it in the context of a SHTF scenario. They shoot me in the face and take my gold. The end. Better to be on a farm.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:35 am I just finished watching Mad Max for the first time ever.

I honestly don’t get the hype. The movie was very meh to me.

I also now especially don’t get why Bogleheads always refer to the “Mad Max scenario” when discussing gold as an investment. Does anyone really think that this corresponds with reality?
I first saw Mad Max around 1983 or 84 at an on-campus “movie night” at the University of Vermont. Students were allowed to bring in food and “beverages” (the drinking age was 18 back then). There was a fair amount of hooting and hollering throughout, with calls of “GET MAD, MAX!!”. I can’t remember if I was still in high school or if it was my freshman year but I was young and I found it all to be very entertaining. It was a great experience, so when anyone mentions Mad Max I always think “what a great movie”.

As for Mad Max and gold, whether it corresponds with reality depends on what I’ve been reading lately. There are times when it seems entirely plausible the way some things are going! But then it might just mean that I need to get outside for some sun and fresh air.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:35 am
I just finished watching Mad Max for the first time ever.

I also now especially don’t get why Bogleheads always refer to the “Mad Max scenario” when discussing gold as an investment. Does anyone really think that this corresponds with reality?

I think I saw it when it came out. Also, never understood all its subsequent acclaim.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:01 am
I remember being very excited about Mad Max when it came out, but I was only like 9 years old. I think there are a lot of movies that don’t have the same punch as when they were first released.
I was watching ‘Five Easy Pieces’ for the first time in the 90s at someone’s house and her elderly guest (a non-native of English) said, “…but when it was done, it was something!”. Jack Nicholson was still great, but I guess some of the stuff it pioneered was already a well trodden path by the 90s.

As for gold, I never really think about it in the context of a SHTF scenario. They shoot me in the face and take my gold. The end. Better to be on a farm.

I saw the movie "Easy Rider" when it came out. Thought it was impactful. I think I saw it again in 1970 and wondered why I'd been so impressed the first time around.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:35 am I just finished watching Mad Max for the first time ever.

Mad Max: Fury Road > Mad Mad 2 (The Road Warrior) > Mad Max.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

I was looking forward to black mirror but didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. The last episode Demon 79 was definitely my favorite.

I think I am just too hooked on From on MGM Plus. If you like black mirror paranormal stuff then I think you will love From. The first season is on Amazon prime and season 2 is about done on MGM Plus.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:21 pm Mad Max: Fury Road > Mad Mad 2 (The Road Warrior) > Mad Max.
Oh right! What I saw as a kid was ‘The Road Warrior.’ I watched Mad Max as an adult and it was crap, or seemed that way.
whatchamacallit wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:38 pm If you like black mirror paranormal stuff then I think you will love From. The first season is on Amazon prime and season 2 is about done on MGM Plus.
From….?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

whatchamacallit wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:59 pm Yup. "From"
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/from
Oh that really is the whole title! lol I thought it was a typo.
The first season is on Amazon prime
Cool, I’m going to check it out on Prime
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm currently rewatching Titanic on Netflix.

Yes it's because of the recent news. Too soon? ???
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:46 pm

I did see it at the movies. An okay movie but certainly not near being one of the greatest of all time and one which I have never watched again.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:46 pm I'm currently rewatching Titanic on Netflix.

I did see it at the movies. An okay movie but certainly not near being one of the greatest of all time and one which I have never watched again.
I think that because it's a love story it probably appeals somewhat more to women.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:01 pm

I think that because it's a love story it probably appeals somewhat more to women.

I am not averse to love stories / romance movies. The movie's entire package ended up not being rated that highly by me. Maybe it was hurt by all the hype I'd heard about it prior to actually seeing it.

I was fairly young when I saw Gone The Wind with my family (and still remember my sister sobbing where they showed the scene of all the wounded soldiers). I did many decades later see that movie again. If you've seen it would you also not characterize it as a love story?

I'd rate that movie much higher than The Titantic.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:07 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:46 pm I'm currently rewatching Titanic on Netflix.

I am not averse to love stories / romance movies. The movie's entire package ended up not being rated that highly by me. Maybe it was hurt by all the hype I'd heard about it prior to actually seeing it.

I was fairly young when I saw Gone The Wind with my family (and still remember my sister sobbing where they showed the scene of all the wounded soldiers). I did many decades later see that movie again. If you've seen it would you also not characterize it as a love story?

That’s a fair assessment. I can never settle on a favourite movie but I definitely have a top 3 (in no particular order):

1) The Big Short
2) Terminator 2
3) Joker
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:20 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:07 pm

That’s a fair assessment. I can never settle on a favourite movie but I definitely have a top 3 (in no particular order):

1) The Big Short
2) Terminator 2
3) Joker

I could not name a top three right now. For a long, long, long time I used to say the movie "Z" which came out in 1970 and which I saw twice two days in a row when it came out was my all-time favorite.

From your list. I definitely saw Terminator 2 when it came out in the theaters. Always been an Arnold fan so definitely liked that one (after having also seen the first).

Cannot remember if I have or have not seen "The Big Short" or "Joker".

Now looking at what were both about. I did see Joker. All I can remember now is that it held my interest.

Don't think I've seen The Big Short but based upon you and what I saw about it now I am now going to watch it.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

I can read a book without reading it, watch a movie without watching it. I can ride my bike with no handlebars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA

1)Aliens
2)Big Lebowski
Not sure # 3. Pulp fiction, Raising Arizona, Margin Call, There will be blood, Predator
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:41 pm
I could not name a top three right now. For a long, long, long time I used to say the movie "Z" which came out in 1970 and which I saw twice two days in a row when it came out was my all-time favorite.

From your list. I definitely saw Terminator 2 when it came out in the theaters. Always been an Arnold fan so definitely liked that one (after having also seen the first).

Now looking at what were both about. I did see Joker. All I can remember now is that it held my interest.

Don't think I've seen The Big Short but based upon you and what I saw about it now I am now going to watch it.
WHAT???

You MUST watch The Big Short! I think you'll really enjoy it. Should be required viewing for all forum members lol!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:06 pm I can read a book without reading it, watch a movie without watching it. I can ride my bike with no handlebars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA

1)Aliens
2)Big Lebowski
Not sure # 3. Pulp fiction, Raising Arizona, Margin Call, There will be blood, Predator
Aliens was the peak of the entire Alien series to this day. It's been downhill since.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:46 am
vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:41 pm

WHAT???

You MUST watch The Big Short! I think you'll really enjoy it. Should be required viewing for all forum members lol!

I did watch it last night. It was well done. Extremely entertaining.

But its flaw was being based upon a Michael Lewis book.

I have come to the conclusion that he is an excellent writer. However he is one of those writers who comes up with a story that he wants to tell and then only uses the facts which support that story.

I'd recently read somewhere that the cause of the 2008 / 2009 financial crisis was NOT what the movie purported it to be.

Also, thought it was thoroughly intellectually dishonest when at the end the movie was feeding us all the subsequent facts. One was that $5 trillion of wealth had just disappeared. The movie did come out in 2015 and if honest it would have pointed out that in just a short year after the March 2009 stock market bottom .... it had all come back and then some.

The movie felt like the same message you get from politicians. Instead of truly educating .... let's come up with a story, use selective facts (sometimes loose "facts") and appeal not to the intellect but to the emotions, which then causes faulty decisions.

Again. A highly entertaining movie but not to be taken as portraying reality. Somewhat similar to the gullible thinking Oliver Stone's JFK represented actual, true history.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:56 am

I have come to the conclusion that he is an excellent writer. However he is one of those writers who comes up with a story that he wants to tell and then only uses the facts which support that story.

I'd recently read somewhere that the cause of the 2008 / 2009 financial crisis was NOT what the movie purported it to be.

Also, thought it was thoroughly intellectually dishonest when at the end the movie was feeding us all the subsequent facts. One was that $5 trillion of wealth had just disappeared. The movie did come out in 2015 and if honest it would have pointed out that in just a short year after the March 2009 stock market bottom .... it had all come back and then some.

The movie felt like the same message you get from politicians. Instead of truly educating .... let's come up with a story, use selective facts (sometimes loose "facts") and appeal not to the intellect but to the emotions, which then causes faulty decisions.

Again. A highly entertaining movie but not to be taken as portraying reality. Somewhat similar to the gullible thinking Oliver Stone's JFK represented actual, true history.
Oh wow! I did not expect a somewhat scathing review of the movie. I do agree it was extremely entertaining though. Did you catch the cameo of the real Michael Burry in the Scion Capital offices? It's the part of the movie when Lawrence and his lackey come to the Scion office to say "We have no confidence in your ability to predict macreconomic trends." ::)

One detail of the movie I was disappointed about was Michael's bookshelf. This is the peak of nerdom, but when we are first introduced to him we see all of the books in his office that are the obvious intellectual influences on his thinking. The one book that should be there without question is The Intelligent Investor... and it isn't there!!!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:51 am
vnatale wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:56 am

Oh wow! I did not expect a somewhat scathing review of the movie. I do agree it was extremely entertaining though. Did you catch the cameo of the real Michael Burry in the Scion Capital offices? It's the part of the movie when Lawrence and his lackey come to the Scion office to say "We have no confidence in your ability to predict macreconomic trends." ::)

One detail of the movie I was disappointed about was Michael's bookshelf. This is the peak of nerdom, but when we are first introduced to him we see all of the books in his office that are the obvious intellectual influences on his thinking. The one book that should be there without question is The Intelligent Investor... and it isn't there!!!

I saw it all. It was so entertaining that I did not blink once while watching it. Therefore I did see that cameo but I did not know until now that that was the real Michael Burry.

I was trying to read book titles any time they showed any books but the movie was full of fleeting images but did not have much success in catchign those titles.

I did like the music that Burry listened to in his office. It was the real Burry who reached over to the movie Burry's keyboard to stop the music that had been playing.

Now question to you. Do you remember when the character played by Brad Pitt exhorted the two young guys that they needed to grow their own food and to use urine in the garden??!!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

hhahahaha! O0

I didn’t really love The Big Short, but Christian Bale was absolutely brilliant in it. He even found a way to imitate Burry’s lazy eye.
I saw an interview of Michael Lewis in which Lewis said Bale had captured something but he (Lewis) couldn’t quite put his finger on it, so he asked Bale. Bale said that Burry breathes in the wrong places when talking. !!!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:51 am

Contrarians Are Usually Wrong
Posted July 2, 2023 by Ben Carlson

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2023/0 ... lly-wrong/

I have a hot take that’s been pre-heating in the oven for a while that goes like this:

The Big Short by Michael Lewis has lost investors more money than the last 3 bear markets combined.

Allow me to explain.

We’ve all read (or watched the movie) about the band of misfits who made a contrarian bet against the housing market and made a fortune.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people took the wrong lessons from Lewis’s book.

Few people saw the Great Financial Crisis coming. The book made it seem so obvious in hindsight that a bunch of investors decided they could do the same thing if they were only given another chance.

I too can be the next John Paulson or Steve Eisman!

Everyone wanted to find the next Big Short and become an unexpected financial hero.

The problem with finding once-in-a-lifetime trades is they only come around like once…in a lifetime.

John Paulson made billions shorting the subprime mortgage market. You know what happened to Paulson after making the greatest trade ever?

Not much really.

People were throwing money at the guy, there was a gold-denominated hedge fund right as gold was peaking and eventually, he decided to run all the billions he made and close up shop.

Lightning didn’t strike twice.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Didnt watch full movie but IIRC Goldman et al were portrayed as chumps, for dramatic effect like all movies. Many knew about the bubble, problem is timing and willingness to bet big on it. Goldman kept the billions in salary they made selling junk. Wall Street always gets bailed out. The "geniuses," if determined to label someone that, are the ones doing the math/real work to shave pennies off every transaction and front-running like Citadel & Renaissance.

More good films: Godfather, 2001, Office Space and Extract (latter about employment from boss' perspective, naturally no one wanted to see it) LOTR, No country for old men, Legend ('85. best villain ever?)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'll stick with my value ETF as my way of feeling like the savvy guy at the poker table... ::)
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all