Re: Netflix junkie

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm
The sex scene was in the sewers or a bunker in Stalingrad. Apparently there was a group of young female snipers in Stalingrad with a cool name. The Untouchables or something like that. If normal soldiers were caught with them in flagrante delicto, the soldier would be shot.

Really good movie anyway.
vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:56 pm
The battles scenes at the beginning are . . . realistic.
What are you basing this on?
That for a "war" movie the scenes seemed super realistic and not at all antiseptic.

I did later read that the Russians were not as aggressive as shown in the opening scenes in machine gunning their own solders who had been retreating after having been sent to be their slaughter against the well entrenched German army.

Vinny
I think Kriegs is pointing out that you don't actually know what "realistic" means in a battle. By "realistic" you mean "gory". Which might well be true!
I had thought that was what he had meant in using the word. However, looking at the definition of the word, I believe I did use it properly: "representing familiar things in a way that is accurate or true to life."

I have read a fair amount of military books that describe battles in much detail. The scenes in the movie seemed to conform to those descriptions, particularly the ones I've read describing the D-Day assaults by the Allies and what they were met with by the entrenched and fortified Germans.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:09 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm
That for a "war" movie the scenes seemed super realistic and not at all antiseptic.
Gotcha
I did later read that the Russians were not as aggressive as shown in the opening scenes in machine gunning their own solders who had been retreating after having been sent to be their slaughter against the well entrenched German army.
Where did you read that? Dan Carlin talked about Order 227 (Not One Step Backward) quite a bit in Ghosts. If you're interested in the Ostfront at all you should definitely check it out, it's phenomenal. Jocko also talked about it in Jocko 109 Stalingrad: Memories Of Hell, if memory serves.
Xan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:34 pm
I think Kriegs is pointing out that you don't actually know what "realistic" means in a battle. By "realistic" you mean "gory". Which might well be true!
Well, I wasn't thinking like that, but that might be the case as well.
I did save as a bookmark one on the Ghosts you'd prior referred to and again here.

Here is what I'd found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_at_the_Gates

The film also overdramatizes the role of blocking detachments in the Red Army. Although there was Order No. 227 (Russian: Директива Ставки ВГК №227) that became the rallying cry of "Not a step back!" (Russian: Ни шагу назад!, romanized: Ni shagu nazad!), machine gunners were not placed behind regular troops with orders to kill anyone who retreated. They were used only for penal troops. Detachments were used regularly to prevent withdrawal or desertion by regular troops. As per Order No. 227, each detachment would have between three and five barrier squads per 200 personnel.[25] In the first three months, blocking detachments shot 1,000 penal troops and sent 24,993 to penal battalions. By October 1942, the idea of regular blocking detachments was quietly dropped; by October 1944, the units were officially disbanded.[26][27][28] During the Battle of Stalingrad, the 62nd Army had the most arrests, and executions: 203 in all of which 49 were executed after battle, while 139 were sent to penal companies and battalions.[29][30][31]
[32]

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm
Enemy at the Gates is one of my favourite movies of all time.

The sex scene is just kind of awkward though. Why does Rachel Weisz have such a look of fear in her eyes?
Because they were bumping up a man on each side of them? There were tons of other men in the room in close proximity to them. There was the man who was up and walked by them and who was standing fairly close on.

And, then the information that Kriegsspiel gave us that if had been caught they would be executed! Or, at least he would be.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:15 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 am
It's almost like she was pretending to be in Stalingrad in 1942.
😂
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Finally watched Bird Box. Excellent film, and a great use of psychological horror instead of actual monsters/demons/ghosts etc.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Have you guys watched The Queen's Gambit?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm
No. But is it a movie or TV Series? I prefer the former just because the latter requires a huge time commitment. Therefore I'm always open for Netflix movie recommendations.

Anyone follow the Amanda Knox case starting in 2007? I finished my fourth book on it the other night (and ordered two more) and have seen one or two videos regarding it. Currently am in the middle of watching the excellent Netflix documentary regarding it. Will complete watching it tonight.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm

No. But is it a movie or TV Series? I prefer the former just because the latter requires a huge time commitment. Therefore I'm always open for Netflix movie recommendations.
It's a mini-series. It's only about 7 episodes long, so I think of it as an extended movie in bite-sized chunks.

It's quite good. It follows the story of a young girl who is a chess prodigy named Elizabeth Harmon. Harmon's journey is an obvious fictional analog to Bobby Fischer. And her final nemesis, Vasily Borgov, is a transparent caricature of Fischer's real life nemesis Boris Spassky. Still, I think of the parallels as more homage than plagiarism.

Fun little detail some chess enthusiasts may notice: Harmon almost exclusively plays e4 openings until her final game against Borgov where she plays the Queen's Gambit (the series namesake). That may remind you of another certain world champion in a certain game 6 against a certain Russian grandmaster. ;D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:02 pm

I have The Mist on Netflix playing in the background now while working.

It's much better than the movie version.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Just started it last night. Turned it off and went to sleep before the end of the first episode because I couldn't bear to see what was going to happen when she didn't get her green pill before the high school match. I intend to revisit it tonight however.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:01 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm
Just started it last night. Turned it off and went to sleep before the end of the first episode because I couldn't bear to see what was going to happen when she didn't get her green pill before the high school match. I intend to revisit it tonight however.
The story accelerates and (to me) seemed to get better as it went on.

It's just too bad that chess girls in real life don't look like that. ::)

And yes, I'm referring to the grown up Elizabeth Harmon, not the kid one. :o
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:01 pm
pp4me wrote:

Just added to my list. But have also just recently added some movies to my list so will be a decision which I will watch first. The movies or the series.

Given your personal situation may also enjoy the movie Holidate.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:01 pm
pp4me wrote:

Smith1776!!!

Many, many thanks for the fine recommendation!

Around 11:15 PMI went to Netflix, thinking I'd watch one those recent movies I added which I really wanted to watch. Plus, just as I got there they put another one in front of me that I added. I thought for certain that I'd be watching one of them. Then, at the last split-second, just as I was going to choose one of those movies, I, instead, chose Queen's Gambit!

Wow! A+!

Kept me up a lot later than I'd intended to be.

Could not stop after the first episode. Nor after the second! Finally forced myself to stop after the third! 2:00 AM

As her mother stated in one of the episodes....."Who knew a chess match could be so exciting."

Speaking of her mother, just from the beginning part when she brought Beth to her new home and what she was saying to Beth shortly after they got there I could see that she was a solid person.

The series a unique. Never seen anything like it. Extremely well done on so many levels.

However, I don't understand the tranquilizers effect at all. I was offered one once (they were called "downers"). I asked what it would do to me. The person acted out what it would do. It seemed appealing so I accepted it. But when the intense tiredness came over me I did not like it at all. It was torturous having to be awake when all I wanted to do was sleep (hence my confusion with how it affected here--actually the opposite of my experience). That not good experience for me was why it was my one and only time.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 am
Smith1776!!!

Around 11:15 PMI went to Netflix, thinking I'd watch one those recent movies I added which I really wanted to watch. Plus, just as I got there they put another one in front of me that I added. I thought for certain that I'd be watching one of them. Then, at the last split-second, just as I was going to choose one of those movies, I, instead, chose Queen's Gambit!

Wow! A+!

Could not stop after the first episode. Nor after the second! Finally forced myself to stop after the third! 2:00 AM

As her mother stated in one of the episodes....."Who knew a chess match could be so exciting."

Speaking of her mother, just from the beginning part when she brought Beth to her new home and what she was saying to Beth shortly after they got there I could see that she was a solid person.

The series a unique. Never seen anything like it. Extremely well done on so many levels.

However, I don't understand the tranquilizers effect at all. I was offered one once (they were called "downers"). I asked what it would do to me. The person acted out what it would do. It seemed appealing so I accepted it. But when the intense tiredness came over me I did not like it at all. It was torturous having to be awake when all I wanted to do was sleep (hence my confusion with how it affected here--actually the opposite of my experience). That not good experience for me was why it was my one and only time.

Vinny
Yaaaay! Do you like chess, Vinny? I play just about every day. If you enjoy the game we can play using the chess.com app.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 pm
vnatale wrote:
Smith1776!!!

Wow! A+!

Vinny
Yaaaay! Do you like chess, Vinny? I play just about every day. If you enjoy the game we can play using the chess.com app.
I meant to add that I'll definitely be watching the last four episodes tonight.

I do play. However, I'm not that good at all at it. I could never see that many moves ahead.

I was in my high school chess club. Don't remember that much about it or how often I went. The only thing I do remember is this one kid, who was not at my intellectual level, being able play without looking at the board and keeping all the board is in head as plays were being made.

I've been playing for over 50 years but years and years and years can go by with me not playing at all. Some day, though, we can play. After I sufficiently motivate myself to play some with someone at my level.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:25 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 pm
vnatale wrote:
Smith1776!!!

Wow! A+!

Vinny
2 things.

1) I did not finish watching the series Friday night. Did not want to stay up that late since I needed to get certain things down Saturday morning while it was still morning. Therefore, saved episode 7 for last night. Totally spectacular ending! The entire series was excellent. Everyone who worked on it in any way deserves much praise. Unbelievable that a series with a heavy emphasis on chess could be so fast paced and heart pounding in many parts of it. Question for series watchers. Since they require so much more time investment than watching a movie which then also leads to you "knowing" the characters a lot more....do you ever suffer a letdown that that is it? No more?

2) Your request above did send me to chess.com. I contacted a friend to see if she wanted to play last night. We'd each last played about two years ago when we played one another. Then I think I won every game. Last night she won all three! However, we were never able to finish any game as every time I ran out of time. Is there a way to play games greater than 10 minutes for each player? Clearly that was not enough for the way she and I play. When we had played two years ago it did not feel like our games were taking forever. If I continue to use the web site I'll ask you more questions in private.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm

vnatale wrote:
Vinny
Two theories of why the tranquilizers work...

1.) Her brain goes into overdrive and overheats and the tranquillizers help cool it again. Probably similar to the way Ritalin works on ADHD.

2.) They once told me my granddaughter had an IQ of 70 which would qualify her as being mentally retarded but as I observed her through the years her real problem is that her brain just seems to freeze up when she has to take a test of any kind. I noticed this with some of my own kids too. When I was teaching one of my daughters the multiplication tables she would do fine until we went past 7 x 7. After that you could see the panic set in on her face and I don't think to this day she could tell you the answer to 7 x 8. No amount of reasoning with her that those bigger numbers are no different than the smaller ones ever helped. Maybe one of those green pills would have.

Almost done with the series and yes, it is excellent. Best thing I've seen in a long time.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm
vnatale wrote:
Vinny

1.) Her brain goes into overdrive and overheats and the tranquillizers help cool it again. Probably similar to the way Ritalin works on ADHD.

2.) They once told me my granddaughter had an IQ of 70 which would qualify her as being mentally retarded but as I observed her through the years her real problem is that her brain just seems to freeze up when she has to take a test of any kind. I noticed this with some of my own kids too. When I was teaching one of my daughters the multiplication tables she would do fine until we went past 7 x 7. After that you could see the panic set in on her face and I don't think to this day she could tell you the answer to 7 x 8. No amount of reasoning with her that those bigger numbers are no different than the smaller ones ever helped. Maybe one of those green pills would have.

Almost done with the series and yes, it is excellent. Best thing I've seen in a long time.
In the last episode she explains why she always took those pills or drank. I will not say anymore about it to let you see it yourself. But let me if after you hear what she said if you change either of your theories.

Smith1776 WAY undersold this series! Anyone think there is any way possible to have a second season of them?

I see it was based upon a book from the 1970s, which now no doubt to this series, is expensive, even its updated version. If it was based upon the book then maybe that last episode was the end of the book, therefore, no possibilities for another season. Unless the series writers want to base it all on whatever they want to do with no backing book.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm
pp4me wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Vinny

In the last episode she explains why she always took those pills or drank. I will not say anymore about it to let you see it yourself. But let me if after you hear what she said if you change either of your theories.

Smith1776 WAY undersold this series! Anyone think there is any way possible to have a second season of them?

I see it was based upon a book from the 1970s, which now no doubt to this series, is expensive, even its updated version. If it was based upon the book then maybe that last episode was the end of the book, therefore, no possibilities for another season. Unless the series writers want to base it all on whatever they want to do with no backing book.

Vinny
Finished last night. Her explanation for the pills and drinking were about what I expected. Something I noticed when I was programming from home was that I probably got most of my best and fastest work done at the end of the day when I popped open a beer or two and continued to work. That seemed to get me into a flow whereas before I was thinking too much. You just have to know when to quit before you start making mistakes.

I was under the impression that this was a true story until I found out this morning that it was a work of fiction. Probably good that I didn't know because I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 am

pp4me wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm
pp4me wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Vinny

Vinny
Finished last night. Her explanation for the pills and drinking were about what I expected. Something I noticed when I was programming from home was that I probably got most of my best and fastest work done at the end of the day when I popped open a beer or two and continued to work. That seemed to get me into a flow whereas before I was thinking too much. You just have to know when to quit before you start making mistakes.

I was under the impression that this was a true story until I found out this morning that it was a work of fiction. Probably good that I didn't know because I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
Hearing her explanation did it cause you to change either of your theories.

I knew it was a work of fiction--I think Smith1776 had told us that? I thought, though, that the premier Russian person might have been a real person. But discovered he was not.

Watching it though rekindled my interest big-time in chess. For the first time ever in my nearly 60 years of playing I watched part of a chess video last night. Hopefully, will want the whole thing later today.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:43 am

"Many people, and I think I am one of them, are more productive when they've had a little to drink. I find if I drink two or three brandies, I'm far better able to write"
- David Ogilvy
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:45 am

By the way, smithers, have you read Chess Bitch? It's not bad.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:45 am
By the way, smithers, have you read Chess Bitch? It's not bad.

Thanks for this....

Would love to read it. However, still far too expensive on Amazon for a 7 year old book.

Just did a search of all the libraries in 2/3's of the state and none have either a paper or an e-book version of it.

I'll have to wait for when the price finally gets reduced on Amazon for the used versions.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Vinny, at my library, I just tell them I want a book and they go find it or buy it for me. I'd assume Mass would do the same thing?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:36 pm
Vinny, at my library, I just tell them I want a book and they go find it or buy it for me. I'd assume Mass would do the same thing?
+1

Many libraries even have an online form that lets you submit a request for them to purchase a book they don't have, in which case no phone call is needed.