Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:36 pm
Vinny, at my library, I just tell them I want a book and they go find it or buy it for me. I'd assume Mass would do the same thing?
I'd never thought of that because whenever I walk into one of the libraries I go to I generally walk out with 10 to 20 books just from browsing for about 20 minutes or less. I'm generally not after anything in particular.

I will, though, inquire of a library what their policy is for what you described.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 am

If you're looking for something new to binge watch (and aren't we all nowadays), "Stateless" on Netflix is very good.

Also, if you're in the mood for a disaster movie which is also a real tear-jerker "The Impossible" is also good. It's about about a family's experience during the 2004 tsunami that hit Thailand. They were British in the movie but I read afterward that they were Spanish. Still it was a mostly true story. Also helps you understand why people buy travel insurance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:22 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 am
If you're looking for something new to binge watch (and aren't we all nowadays), "Stateless" on Netflix is very good.

Also, if you're in the mood for a disaster movie which is also a real tear-jerker "The Impossible" is also good. It's about about a family's experience during the 2004 tsunami that hit Thailand. They were British in the movie but I read afterward that they were Spanish. Still it was a mostly true story. Also helps you understand why people buy travel insurance.
Netflix brought "The Impossible" to my attention last night and I added it to my list then.

Based on your recommendation just added "Stateless".

Starting watching "Black '47" last night and will finish tonight. Quite intense. Even more I'd assume for someone with Irish heritage.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Just binge watched the girl chess series. Definitely very good.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:33 pm
Just binge watched the girl chess series. Definitely very good.
Watching it inspired me to go back to playing chess. Also, for the first time in my nearly 55 year old "playing" career read something about playing chess. I think I actually learned something from what I studied! I still don't think I am ready to take her on!

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Just destroyed 10 year old Beth with the Caro-Kann. 8)
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:31 pm

How Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit Ceiling Chess Games Are A Lot More Complex Than You Might Think

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/ ... ight-think
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 pm

The Leah Cremini Scientology exposé is creeping me out.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81229101?s=i&trkid=0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Just beat the 15 year old, 1880 Beth after a utilizing a large amount of alcohol. I doubt alcohol is a PED in chess tournaments, I think their bots are broken ;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Have you guys seen the movie Ava?

On my Netflix homepage it says it's number 1 in Canada. Which is surprising because while it's not bad, it's not exceptionally good either. The reviews seem to reflect that. And why is it suddenly number 1 when it was released 6 months ago?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:42 pm

The mail in ballots were just counted. ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:11 pm

When I went to Netflix last night.....Designated Survivor popped up.

I loved Kiefer Sunderland in "24" so why not. I'd never prior watched 24 or Designated Survivor when they were on TV.

I think it was about five years ago when I first watched the movie based on 24. That led me to watching the series. The first two nights I was up until 3:30 AM watching many episodes at each sitting. I watched all the seasons (8?) over a few months.

Last night I set my all-time viewing record of watching anything.

At 11:30 PM I started with the Pilot episode. I kept watching and watching and watching until I finally stopped at 8:30 AM this morning. 9 straight hours of watching! I don't think I blinked once during all that watching.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that Maggie Q is a main character in this series. She, of course, was the main character Nikita in the series - Nikita - which I loved and watched in its entirety last year.

How many others here saw Designated Survivor? How did you grade it?

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:13 pm

I thought the first season was excellent. It’s like a parallel universe to 24.

After the first season the show peters off. The whole premise of a designated survivor just doesn’t have staying power. It would have made a better movie than tv show.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:36 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:13 pm
I thought the first season was excellent. It’s like a parallel universe to 24.

After the first season the show peters off. The whole premise of a designated survivor just doesn’t have staying power. It would have made a better movie than tv show.
Yep. I also thought the acting was forced (i.e., not believable).
Though obviously I found it compelling viewing....I kept telling myself....that is not realistic.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Dark is good. I'm about halfway through the episodes.

It gets confusing because it's one of those shows that keeps jumping back and forth in time. Add to that the fact that you have people really traveling back and forth in time and it gets hard to keep track of who is who and when.

Still very entertaining. I think season 4 is supposed to come out sometime soon.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm

It gets confusing because it's one of those shows that keeps jumping back and forth in time. Add to that the fact that you have people really traveling back and forth in time and it gets hard to keep track of who is who and when.

Still very entertaining. I think season 4 is supposed to come out sometime soon.
I watched some of Dark when it came to Netflix. My wife bailed after one or two episodes but I watched the first season.
A German buddy wanted me to watch it so he could talk with someone about it. O0 But, that’s as far as I got.

Always in the original German with English subtitles.
You?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm

I watched some of Dark when it came to Netflix. My wife bailed after one or two episodes but I watched the first season.
A German buddy wanted me to watch it so he could talk with someone about it. O0 But, that’s as far as I got.

Always in the original German with English subtitles.
You?
I'm actually listening to it in English. The dub over isn't great but it's not too distracting. I think maybe it's hard to dub over German into English.

The songs are also in English if you turn it on.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm

‘The Ripper’ is pretty interesting. It’s not about Jack, but about similar murders in Yorkshire 1975.
I love the Leeds accent.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Rectify

I'm only on the 4th episode in season 1. If the idea of an 18 year old boy spending the next 20 years of his life in solitary confinement for raping and killing a 16 year old girl, living in a small cell on death row while contemplating his execution on six occasions before a stay of execution and some prison guards allowing him to be subjected to punishments to fit the crime appeals to you then you might like this.

DNA evidence came to light and he was released but the prosecutors aren't done with his living hell yet. Why would they?

In his prison cell he apparently discovered meditation to learn how to survive in that situation. When asked by his sister what he thought about all that time he said it was "the time between the seconds".

Upon being released everyone thinks he will be overjoyed to re-connect with the real world and he really is but it's not that simple.

Like I said, I'm only on episode 4 so maybe it will disappoint in the long run but right now it is a very fascinating story.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Rectify
Like I said, I'm only on episode 4 so maybe it will disappoint in the long run but right now it is a very fascinating story.
Your mileage may vary, but my wife and I watched all of it years ago and loved it.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:59 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:32 pm
Rectify
Your mileage may vary, but my wife and I watched all of it years ago and loved it.
I'm midway into season 2. The slow character development reminds you more of reading a book than watching TV or a movie but I'm really hooked even though there is a lot of darkness in the story (and if you can recall season 2 you know what I mean).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Yes, it is the epitome of a show as slow-cooked meal. I kept waiting for her to tell me it was too slow, but she savored it. I wish there were more shows like Rectify.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:10 pm

This relates to Hulu, not Netflix, but I’ll post here anyways.

Has anyone here watched the fourth season of Rick and Morty? The episodes written by Jeff Loveness are outstanding, especially “The Vat of Acid Episode”, which won an Emmy award.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm
Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
You’re a Canadian and you can handle it, but it looked coooold to me.
Shot in California, by the way, that cabin stuff.
I remember trying Ensure when that first episode with the Extractor came out, so the product placement did work on me. O0
R.I.P. Robert Forster