Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm
Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?
Not my pictures and never met him.

He once said, why did the Yankees acquire Reggie, I hit just as well as him.

And, I believe that in 1976 he did!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes it was in 1976. Oscar could hit. For some reason 23 home runs resonates.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Steroids prevents me from moving beyond Aaron. I watched the Yankees with Clemens and Giambi. Two guys who are a poor memory in the sport.

Aaron did need 2,000 more ABs and an extra 8 games per season to go after Ruth.

I did see Aaron hit back-to-back HRs at Shea Stadium, 7/8/73, against pitcher Steve Stone of the Mets.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Steroids are awesome in professional sports. Pitchers throw hard as fuck, home runs go into the neighboring county, linebackers produce as much force as an F-16. Everything is just better.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am

Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s. Refrigerator Perry of the Chicago Bears isn't worth mentioning now. I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!

Speaking of 1968, along with seeing Aaron hit 2 in 1973, I saw Mantle hit 521 tying Ted Williams on 4/26/68. Box seats, 2 rows from the Yankee dugout by the batting circle, were quite nice. Box seats then were $4 per. These 4 seats were given to us. Otherwise it was upper deck for $1.25. Bleachers were 50 cents.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 am

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am
Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s.
PREEN
I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!
Skoronski: 6'3 245
Gillingham 6'3 255
Bowman 6'3 230
Kramer 6'3 245
Gregg 6'4 250

Yea, if you used a time machine and physically transported these guys from 1968 to now, they'd be very small for offensive linemen. But if you had magicked their pregnant mom and dad forward to the year 2000, there's NO DOUBT these guys would all be 6'7 290-315 monster 20 year-olds destined for a great career in the NFL. Maybe they had genetics to be a modern tight end (6'6 ~250) if not a lineman.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

I was thinking of "launch angle" angle today. I am retired but it wasn't on the to do list. Seems if these "hitters don't get the perfect 2 strike pitch to launch it to the next county, they take it for strike three. This is baseball? No DH discussion today, lads and lasses.

Let's move on to DJ Lamemahieu, Yankee infielder. The guy is a magician with the bat. He hits it where it's pitched, drives the ball, takes advantage of defense and doesn't ponder the glories of launch angle. Came close to MVP last year. How did Colorado let him escape? I came back for Aaron Judge and stayed for DJ.
These strike outs!!! It ain't baseball. But they said that in 1920 when Ruth hit 54 HRs. BTW, I went to both of Ruth's apartment buildings in Manhattan. It's not possible to get past the doormen but I did tell one doorman he was working in a sacred space.

Oh, Pug,

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks. You did have Bobby Murcer few a couple of good years, though.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks.
WHAT a price to pay to win just ONE World Series then quickly dropping from being one of the elite teams.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Vinny,

I am amazed that with our appreciation of baseball history and Yankee history- what other sports club has a history- that we have opposing views on the broadcasting. I have turned the sound off, at times. Anyway....

Great having you around and I envy your reading ability, speed and comprehension.

Thanks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 am

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Talking baseball trades on an avatar thread! Bad decorum?

Branch Rickey, I believe, once said a trade needed 2 years to see who benefited. Rickey also said "luck is the residue of design." Something here for the software engineers?

As a Yankee fan, Jay Buhner gives me another reason to think Steinbrenner should have been forced to sell the team.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 am

bedraggled wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm
Talking baseball trades on an avatar thread! Bad decorum?

Branch Rickey, I believe, once said a trade needed 2 years to see who benefited. Rickey also said "luck is the residue of design." Something here for the software engineers?

As a Yankee fan, Jay Buhner gives me another reason to think Steinbrenner should have been forced to sell the team.
Tell me who was a better baseball owner?

When has any other team dominated baseball like the Yankees did for nearly 20 years, starting in 1994? When is the last time the Red Sox won two World Series in a row?

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 am

I initially think of Dan Topping & Del Webb. These 2 owners were referenced in a book whose title eludes me but this approximates:

Yankee Dynasty, 1949-1964: When rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for US Steel.

There were the 2 colonels, Ruppert and Houston. They bought the club in 1913. Because they did so well with the team, their Polo Grounds landlord kicked them out. The owners were smart enough to import Babe Ruth and Yankees' increasing attendance embarrassed the National League's New York Giants so the said 'out.' These 2 owners then built Yankee Stadium with cash. New York State taxpayers built the current Yankee Stadium and these taxpayers will be picking up the tab for several generations. Or maybe their grandchildren will.

Noteworthy? The 1923 Yankee Stadium was built with cash, as was the Woolworth Building, downtown. Now? Gotta get some financing! This could use some exploration.

The New York City subway was extended to the Bronx in 1918, making Jacob Astor's lumber yard site available. Cols. Ruppert and Houston bought there. Some suggest, as the new stadium was just across the river from the Polo Grounds, the colonels did it with spite. If so, it worked.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned but PBS is streaming Ken Burn's "History of Baseball". Nine 2 hour episodes. Excellent watching.

https://www.pbs.org/show/baseball/episodes/season/1/
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun May 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Vinny,

I overlooked your starting in 1994 stipulation. My apologies.

I give full credit to Buck Showalter and Gene Michael for what is called the Joe Torre Yankees.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Vinny,

You suggested Yankees performance since 1994.

I went and looked at Yankees play-off appearances since 1995- excellent compared to most other teams. You are right on target. The Atlanta Braves come to mind, though.

The New York Post is running some Yankees/Mets history stories of 40 years or so. The last several days the Winfield, Howie Spira situation was visited. In 1990, the fans at Yankee Stadium cheered with a standing ovation when the suspension of the owner and the possible forced sale of the club was announced.

Had Gene Michael and Buck Showalter been left to run the organization unfettered, I think the results would have dazzled. Walter O'Malley had Branch Rickey to show a juxtaposition.

Yankee fans are different. A Cleveland fan recently asked if I thought 41 Yankee pennants were enough. I said "no." Gene and Buck would have delivered the "dazzle. " Also, do I detect Yankee fans are accepting of a pennant rather than the Series win?

The attainment of the first round of the play-offs and then go home needs improvement and that seems to have changed recently. Why management brings in high-priced talent to clog the line-up for a decade and more confuses me. The word sclerotic comes to mind.

Your assessments are solid. Please point to my short-sightedness when you get the chance.

I think Buck Showalter is available and he appeared on Seinfeld!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm

Agreed that MLB and other sports organizations may have future problems with attendance, etc. I can't seem to find the excitement over the baseball season starting soon. If Aaron Judge can't stay on the field, my interest further decreases.

Anyone here play Strat-o-matic Baseball in decades gone by? It was fun. And no commercials!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:40 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Agreed that MLB and other sports organizations may have future problems with attendance, etc. I can't seem to find the excitement over the baseball season starting soon. If Aaron Judge can't stay on the field, my interest further decreases.

Anyone here play Strat-o-matic Baseball in decades gone by? It was fun. And no commercials!
Aaron Judge is read to play!

I played Strat-O-Matic from the mid-60s to the mid-70s.

When I first started playing it was with two other friends. I was proposing and making so many trades with the two of them (and, evidently, getting the better of them) that the two of them instituted a trading deadline because they could not control themselves!

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:40 pm
bedraggled wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm

Aaron Judge is read to play!

I played Strat-O-Matic from the mid-60s to the mid-70s.

When I first started playing it was with two other friends. I was proposing and making so many trades with the two of them (and, evidently, getting the better of them) that the two of them instituted a trading deadline because they could not control themselves!

Vinny
I played Strat-O-Matic baseball when I was in high school and also APBA football. It's a good thing they didn't have video games back then or I would have become an addict just like kids today. Tried out Madden Football on Xbox however and couldn't wrap my head around actually having to physically control player movements. Much easier to just roll the dice.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Did any of you guys play Baseball Mogul back in the day? I thought it was so great when I was a kid. You set the lineups and the game tells you how your team did. Only baseball could have a successful text-based computer game.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 pm
Did any of you guys play Baseball Mogul back in the day? I thought it was so great when I was a kid. You set the lineups and the game tells you how your team did. Only baseball could have a successful text-based computer game.
Never did. If it was the same game I think a friend of mine played it extensively. I always favored games wherein you were interactively involved in each at bat.

Vinny