Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm
New campaign ad from Trump. Ouch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1304117520429912064
Just watched it.

However how does it counter the fact that everything depicted IS Trumps' America? Therefore, by what logic does it change for the better?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:34 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Just watched it.

However how does it counter the fact that everything depicted IS Trumps' America? Therefore, by what logic does it change for the better?

Vinny
Bingo. What happens Nov 4th if Trump is re=elected? What gets better? What is he doing now to make it better? I see nothing at all from Trump that is trying to lower the temperature of this and he IS the CURRENT president. All he is serving to do is inflame things.

All he does is blame those democratic mayors and governors, which will STILL be there on Nov 4th.

There is no current leadership on this from the administration. Only blame. Please elaborate if there is anything positive. I am not seeing it.

It is like a trailer for a dystopian movie, I'll give it that!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:34 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Just watched it.

Vinny
Bingo. What happens Nov 4th if Trump is re=elected? What gets better? What is he doing now to make it better? I see nothing at all from Trump that is trying to lower the temperature of this and he IS the CURRENT president. All he is serving to do is inflame things.

All he does is blame those democratic mayors and governors, which will STILL be there on Nov 4th.

There is no current leadership on this from the administration. Only blame. Please elaborate if there is anything positive. I am not seeing it.
Operation Legend. Deputizing Oregon State Police to quell rioting that, yes, leftist mayors, governors, and DAs refused to do, and apparently were actively aiding (The Oregon Speaker of the House's legislative director was arrested this week for rioting in Portland). Offering federal help to, for instance, Chicago to get their rioting under control. Meanwhile Biden's campaign provided money to bail out rioters.

Trump is providing the better leadership here.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Left-leaning folks often complain that Trump doesn't do enough to try to unify the nation and reduce divisiveness.

But last week, Trump's administration issued a directive to all federal agencies requiring them to remove "critical race theory" (i.e., racist anti-white theory) from their training.

Critical race theory is one of the ideological roots of BLM and is incredibly divisive. Trump's attack on it is therefore a direct effort to reduce divisiveness within our nation.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Trump deplanes Air Force One in Michigan to CCR's Fortunate Son. What a douche. Daddy's little draft dodging fortunate son...
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:04 pm

doodle wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:28 pm
Trump deplanes Air Force One in Michigan to CCR's Fortunate Son. What a douche. Daddy's little draft dodging fortunate son...
It caught the attention of the songwriter, John Fogerty, who said Friday that he found it confounding that Trump -- of all people -- would play the song at his events.

“It’s a song I could have written now, and so I find it confusing, I would say, that the president has chosen to use my song for his political rallies when in fact, it seems like he is probably the fortunate son,” Fogerty said in a video posted on Instagram.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 pm

doodle wrote:
I've made several comments here regarding how out of sync the lyrics are with rock songs chosen to be played at Trump's rallies. They just don't fit the tenor of the campaign. Whoever is choosing the songs is just totally inept at choosing songs that align with the themes of the campaign.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 pm
doodle wrote:
I've made several comments here regarding how out of sync the lyrics are with rock songs chosen to be played at Trump's rallies. They just don't fit the tenor of the campaign. Whoever is choosing the songs is just totally inept at choosing songs that align with the themes of the campaign.

Vinny
You aren't the target audience, Vinny. The measure of whether it was a good choice or not is how well it works at his rallies. By that measure, they are outstanding. You and I don't have to understand it. But somebody on his team is really good at this. Measured by results.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:25 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:23 pm
doodle wrote:

Vinny
You aren't the target audience, Vinny. The measure of whether it was a good choice or not is how well it works at his rallies. By that measure, they are outstanding. You and I don't have to understand it. But somebody on his team is really good at this. Measured by results.
I don't know if I agree. Music has been a major part of my life for nearly 60 years now so I think I pay a lot more attention to all things music - both the music and its lyrics - than does the average person. And, it's possible the person hired to play music at the rallies was someone hired due to political favor and not out of competence. Meaning that I could do a much better job at choosing the music for Trump rallies. There are so many various aspects that lead to the results that I don't buy that the choice of music gets credit for the good results. It's highly likely that better results could be achieved by a better choice of music.

I was a college music dj for two years and I'd be thinking all week of songs from my personal record collection to put together to be a show, rather than just a collection of random songs.

If I WERE the person to choose songs to be played at a political rally I'd be obsessing over my choice of songs every waking moment!

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I think you've made Mark's point, Vinny. The guy who knows everything about music and pays attention to lyrics and actually cares about all that is not at all the target audience. It's just meant to create a mood. Nobody is even listening to the words.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 pm
I think you've made Mark's point, Vinny. The guy who knows everything about music and pays attention to lyrics and actually cares about all that is not at all the target audience. It's just meant to create a mood. Nobody is even listening to the words.
For certain I am NOT its target audience.

But can ANYONE explain to me what mood is created each time the Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is played?

I cannot believe that the audience are oblivious to the lyrics. If they like the song, many of them are themselves singing along to the songs.

I can think of much better songs for Trump people to be singing along with at Trump rallies then many of the (to me) perplexing ones I hear being played.

They are perplexing not because of their appeal or lack of appeal to me but what I perceive to be of most appeal to a Trump rally goer.

If my audience is a bunch of black 20 year old males I'm not going to be playing heavy 70s rock music for them. I'm going to be playing what I think is going to most appeal to them even though I don't like it at all.

Vinny
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:53 pm

When they play I’m A Loser, we’ll know they’ve screwed up.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:53 pm
When they play I’m A Loser, we’ll know they’ve screwed up.
Good one!

That song was on Beatles '65. First Beatles album I ever owned!

Vinny
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 am

Xan wrote:
Sadly correct... the target audience is a bunch of trumptards. It is pretty evident that clarity or consistency of message isn't that important to them. The irony though of Trump playing this song after dodging the draft on account of his 'bone spurs'. Total schmuck.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:54 am

...orrr maybe his inner circle is just trolling him and getting a chuckle at the absurdity of the whole spectacle..

Poor folks are born, made the wave the flag

Ooh, that red, white, and blue

But they should all just treat me like a king

I ain't no loser like you, naw

Spare meee

Spare meee

I'm a millionaire's son, yeah

Spurred feeet

Spurred feeet

Ain't no way I could run
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 am

Simonjester wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm
Xan wrote:
For certain I am NOT its target audience.

But can ANYONE explain to me what mood is created each time the Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" is played?

I cannot believe that the audience are oblivious to the lyrics. If they like the song, many of them are themselves singing along to the songs.

I can think of much better songs for Trump people to be singing along with at Trump rallies then many of the (to me) perplexing ones I hear being played.

They are perplexing not because of their appeal or lack of appeal to me but what I perceive to be of most appeal to a Trump rally goer.

If my audience is a bunch of black 20 year old males I'm not going to be playing heavy 70s rock music for them. I'm going to be playing what I think is going to most appeal to them even though I don't like it at all.

Vinny
Sure, I can explain that. Trump has repeatedly said, "You don't have to like me, but you do have to vote for me", which is right in line with the song lyrics.
if i didn't know better i would think trump was picking the songs himself to troll the left.... cant always get what you want.. fortunate son.... >:D
Occam's razor would suggest idiocy over strategy.

It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat. Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious. Trump is a douchebag elitist sociopath with delusions of grandeur.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:02 am

Maybe Trump just likes the damn song..
It is great tune.

Why does there have to be a subliminal message or meaning to a great song that Trump's team play..
Maybe next time some Bob Seger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoaAb5MnKtY
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 am

Subliminal message? Lol. Hardly.

Fogerty said he wrote “Fortunate Son” in 1969 at the height of the Vietnam War after he’d been drafted himself and done his own stint in the military. Fogerty noted that during the draft, however, people of privilege frequently used their position and influence to avoid military service....(Trump).

“I found that very upsetting that such a thing could occur and that’s why I wrote ‘Fortunate Son,’” Fogerty said.

Might as well play NWA F#*! the Police at a Blue Lives Matter Rally....it has a catchy hook after all.

I always wondered how autocrats remained in power...I guess I understand now.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am
doodle wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:01 am
Occam's razor would suggest idiocy over strategy.
It would, but I assure you, nothing he does has no reason. He is very calculating.
Lol. Yes, self proclaimed genius....that recent Axios interview really highlighted his cunning and intelligence.

It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat.
Because the Left is so unappealing, and he is the AntiLeft.

Yep, exactly...and this is how autocrats come into power. Look at every autocratic regime...it's always divide and conquer. As Sinclair Lewis said ....When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross

Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious.
And Schiff, and Nadler, and Aunt Maxine, and Newsom, and Whitmer, and Wheeler, and Kate Brown, and Inslee, and Pritzker and Lightfoot and......
That's the logic that put the United States in bed with Bin Laden.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:28 am

My vote for Biden is not one of support. It honestly is a lesser of two evils. I hope he's a one term president....probably won't even live through the first term..I hope the radical left comes to their senses...a lot of insufferable fools on that side of political spectrum. They need to be combatted with logic...not trolling. Trump isn't the Messiah though...come to save us...just like Franco in Spain wasn't the right answer to Republicans. Trump is an elitist. He's a con man. He's a sociopath. Hes a textbook narcissist and he doesn't give two shits about our constitution or rule of law. I'll take a half wit with dementia over that any day
Last edited by doodle on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am

doodle wrote:
It's so ironic that on a board that leans libertarian/ anarchist there are so many people here who love to lick the boots of this autocrat. Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious. Trump is a douchebag elitist sociopath with delusions of grandeur.
Trump is the closest thing to an antiwar candidate and president I've seen in my lifetime and that is the prime directive for libertarians so I don't see any inconsistency there. Bush, McCain, and Romney were all neocon warmongers who turned my stomach and I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them. Didn't vote for Dems either because they were all just as bad, if not worse. Pat Buchanan used to call Republicans the "war party" but I think that label applied to both parties. Neocons obviously realize this because they are switching to the Dems.

Harry Browne and Ron Paul were both strongly antiwar. I actually joined the Republican party for a while so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary but canceled my membership shortly thereafter. Harry Browne's antiwar writings were some of the best I've read and I read them long before any of his financial books. I would have voted for Harry when he ran for president but I don't even remember him being on the ballot, or wasn't aware of he was and what he stood for at the time.

Is Trump a libertarian? Of course not. Is he everything you accuse him of? Maybe.

As the song says you can't always get what you want but you can get what you need.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:36 am

pp4me wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am
doodle wrote:
Trump is the closest thing to an antiwar candidate and president I've seen in my lifetime and that is the prime directive for libertarians so I don't see any inconsistency there. Bush, McCain, and Romney were all neocon warmongers who turned my stomach and I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them. Didn't vote for Dems either because they were all just as bad, if not worse. Pat Buchanan used to call Republicans the "war party" but I think that label applied to both parties. Neocons obviously realize this because they are switching to the Dems.

Harry Browne and Ron Paul were both strongly antiwar. I actually joined the Republican party for a while so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary but canceled my membership shortly thereafter. Harry Browne's antiwar writings were some of the best I've read and I read them long before any of his financial books. I would have voted for Harry when he ran for president but I don't even remember him being on the ballot, or wasn't aware of he was and what he stood for at the time.

Is Trump a libertarian? Of course not. Is he everything you accuse him of? Maybe.

As the song says you can't always get what you want but you can get what you need.
Fair enough. If war is your primary issue then I can understand logic. There are many issues that I agree with Trump on...I have said this on multiple occasions. One question, why then the pandering towards military and pride touting expanding our already bloated military budget?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:35 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am
Yes, Pelosi and Schumer are obnoxious.
And Schiff, and Nadler, and Aunt Maxine, and Newsom, and Whitmer, and Wheeler, and Kate Brown, and Inslee, and Pritzker and Lightfoot and......
That latter comment better be about Lori and not Gordon.
Or we're taking this fight onto the Carefree Highway..... at Sundown
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:36 am
pp4me wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:31 am
doodle wrote:

Fair enough. If war is your primary issue then I can understand logic. There are many issues that I agree with Trump on...I have said this on multiple occasions. One question, why then the pandering towards military and pride touting expanding our already bloated military budget?
I think he holds the belief that a strong military is a deterrent to war. People have believed that since the attack on Pearl Harbor. Personally, I would rather see a military big enough to deter any enemies that want to attack us but not big enough to take on the role of the world's policeman. But like I said, you can't always get what you want.