Books?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Books?

Post by vnatale » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:13 pm

What book are you reading now? Do you recommend it?

What recent books have you read that you recommend?

I read a lot of books but tend to stay with strictly non-fiction. I thought I created the following phrase but I later discovered others had been using it: "Truth is Stranger Than Fiction." I regularly use this in a discussion with someone who reads nearly a book a day when I say, "If someone had ever written a fiction book ten years ago that described exactly how the Trump campaign / presidency has gone so far, it'd be roundly criticized as too far fetched. Too unbelievable for someone to imagine anything like it taking place."

The other reason is if something piques my interest like what happened on 9/11/1857 in Utah, I can follow it up (like I did) by reading four or five more books about it. With fiction you are generally at the mercy of the author actually writing another book in the series. For certain historical events, the numbers of books regarding it is endless.

So, here is the book I just picked up to read tonight and it seems like it will be excellent. And, seems like it would appeal to the intellect of several here: https://www.amazon.com/Factfulness-Reas ... l_huc_item.

Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Books?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm

One I just finished is Slow Apocalypse by Varley. Set in California amid earthquakes, wild fires, loss of electricity, it's a really good work of fiction, or as it's known in California, "holy fucking shit this is really happening aaaggghhh." Other good novels include the Three Body Problem trilogy by Liu Cixin. Science fiction from China, translated into English in the last several years, and Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann; an older book about a family's fortunes in 19th century German Confederation.

For non-fiction, I focused mostly on Roman history and genetics/biodiversity this year. Good books were
  • Rubicon by Holland
  • The Fall Of Rome by Lafferty
  • The End Of Empire: Attila The Hun And The Fall Of Rome by Kelly
  • The Roman Search For Wisdom by Kellogg
  • The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Duncan
And in genetics
  • The Bell Curve by Murray
  • The Male Brain by Brizendine
  • The Female Brain by Brizendine
  • The Sports Gene by Epstein
  • Before The Dawn by Wade
  • A Troublesome Inheritance by Wade
  • Shadows Of Forgotten Ancestors by Sagan & Druyan
  • Genome by Ridley
  • The Red Queen by Ridley
Boyd, by Coram, is a fascinating biography of John Boyd.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am

Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories. It's incredibly well written and thoroughly researched, and will turn a lot of your thinking on nutrition upside down.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 am

I've recently read Unfreedom of the Press by Mark Levin, which is an excellent expose of the Democrat party press (most of the lamestream media).
I'm just starting Guilty by Reason of Insanity: Why the Democrats Must Not Win by David Limbaugh (Rush's brother).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 pm

I did start reading that one when it first game out. If I remember correctly, it was a quite lengthy book and one of a long list of books that I have started and not finished.

The only things I seem to remember from it was that eating fat does not cause you to be fat and no matter how much some people try they are not going to be normal weight.

Vinny
WiseOne wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am
Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories. It's incredibly well written and thoroughly researched, and will turn a lot of your thinking on nutrition upside down.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 pm
I did start reading that one when it first game out. If I remember correctly, it was a quite lengthy book and one of a long list of books that I have started and not finished.

The only things I seem to remember from it was that eating fat does not cause you to be fat and no matter how much some people try they are not going to be normal weight.

Vinny
WiseOne wrote:
I'll let you know when I've finished it, but I gather that it's eating carbohydrates that trigger fat storage, like this: carbs -> sugar -> increased insulin -> lipoprotein lipase -> fat storage. The USDA guidelines are actually tailor-made for inducing diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease etc. Very elegantly described in the book.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

Now that I check my book reading records I see that it was over 10 years ago (August 2009) when I started reading the book! Therefore, my memory should be quite shallow on what I remember of it. Looks like I'd only made it to page 109. Thought I had read more than that.

And, USDA guidelines are, of course, what the corporations say they should be.

That is one of the few things in which I am in agreement with Bernie: That the corporations run our country. However, that belief was shaken somewhat by the election of Trump because neither those corporations or the Republican establishment wanted him elected. Maybe that was just a major outlier in their control of our country?

Vinny
WiseOne wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Vinny
WiseOne wrote:
I'll let you know when I've finished it, but I gather that it's eating carbohydrates that trigger fat storage, like this: carbs -> sugar -> increased insulin -> lipoprotein lipase -> fat storage. The USDA guidelines are actually tailor-made for inducing diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease etc. Very elegantly described in the book.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Non-fiction:

*Midnight in Chernobyl. Excellent book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/405 ... -chernobyl
*Sons and Soldiers. Very good, but I got overwhelmed by other books and shelved it 2/3 of the way through.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/326 ... d-soldiers
*Savage Continent. Great, but there are a lot of stats in it which might bore some people.
*Sapiens. Had to return the library book and now I'm working my way through the audio version. I like it.
*There was a history of Iran, but I don't recommend it.

Fiction:

*Children of Men: very, very different from the film. Good use of language, but I think I prefer the film just the same.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm
Shadows Of Forgotten Ancestors by Sagan & Druyan
My favorite non-fiction book of all time.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:29 pm

According to library records the last book I checked out was "The Mandibles". I think it might have been recommended by somebody on this forum.

I don't remember reading more than a few pages, however, and I can say the same of the prior three that I checked out.

I just keep them on the lampstand in the living room in case there is nothing good to watch on television.

I think the last one I actually read or at least skimmed all the way through was "Why Buddhism is true". As I recall, the author made a good case based on modern psychology completely ignoring the religious/spiritual aspects.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Did you read it a while ago? If you thought it was good, you should try out some of the recent books that include the newer research!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:58 pm

I read it in 1996.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Non-fiction:

*Midnight in Chernobyl. Excellent book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/405 ... -chernobyl
*Sons and Soldiers. Very good, but I got overwhelmed by other books and shelved it 2/3 of the way through.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/326 ... d-soldiers
*Savage Continent. Great, but there are a lot of stats in it which might bore some people.
*Sapiens. Had to return the library book and now I'm working my way through the audio version. I like it.
*There was a history of Iran, but I don't recommend it.

Many thanks for the list. Put three of them on my Amazon List and bought a used copy of Sons and Soldiers. We seem to have similar tastes.

I started reading Homo Deus by the Sapiens authors (I own the book). But had to put it aside as I started taking out tons of books from libraries which I, of course, have to return. But Homo Deus was excellent and will finish it at some point.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Had never heard of it...even though it was a "National Bestseller". However, with a recommendation like you just made (and just commenting earlier that our tastes seemed to be similar) I also just purchased that one.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Cool, hope you like the other ones.

ADDED: Krieggspiel had a very good list of Iraq/Afghanistan books in one of these threads. We both really liked ‘Generation Kill.’
Last edited by dualstow on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 pm
dualstow wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Did you read it a while ago? If you thought it was good, you should try out some of the recent books that include the newer research!
You are referring to the other ones on your list under "genetics"? Or, some others that you have not listed?

Vinny
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Cherry Nico Walker
Above the Line Urban Meyer
Catch and Kill Ronan Farrow
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:12 pm

AdamA wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm
Cherry Nico Walker
Above the Line Urban Meyer
Catch and Kill Ronan Farrow
Just bought Above the Line and added Catch and Kill to my list.

Thanks

Vinny
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm

The Daily Stoic
Mind of an Outlaw
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 pm
Cool, hope you like the other ones.

ADDED: Krieggspiel had a very good list of Iraq/Afghanistan books in one of these threads. We both really liked ‘Generation Kill.’
Thanks for the "Generation Kill" recommendation! Just ordered it.

I'm not going to think twice when I get a book recommendation and I can buy it used (delivered) for about $5 (or not much more).

VInny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 am
I've recently read Unfreedom of the Press by Mark Levin, which is an excellent expose of the Democrat party press (most of the lamestream media).
I'm just starting Guilty by Reason of Insanity: Why the Democrats Must Not Win by David Limbaugh (Rush's brother).
I've added both to my Amazon list and did not buy them since neither has come down to my preferred cheap price for a used book. But if I do see them in the new section at a library I will read them.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:45 pm

escafandro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm
The Daily Stoic
Mind of an Outlaw
Thanks. Added both to my Amazon list.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
dualstow wrote:

You are referring to the other ones on your list under "genetics"? Or, some others that you have not listed?

Vinny
Yup, all those ones I listed were from this year. Here are a few more that were good and in the same vein. Some of them don't deal with genetics, per say, as much as "selection."

The 10,000 Year Explosion by Cochran
Survival of the Prettiest by Etcoff
Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes by Pincott
Parasite Rex by Zimmer
Sapiens by Harari
DNA USA by Sykes

10,000 Year Explosion, Survival Of The Prettiest, and Parasite Rex in particular were excellent.

I have also read quite a bit of Peter Frost's and Greg Cochran's blogs that deal with genetics/selection.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:

Vinny
Yup, all those ones I listed were from this year. Here are a few more that were good and in the same vein. Some of them don't deal with genetics, per say, as much as "selection."

The 10,000 Year Explosion by Cochran
Survival of the Prettiest by Etcoff
Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes by Pincott
Parasite Rex by Zimmer
Sapiens by Harari
DNA USA by Sykes

10,000 Year Explosion, Survival Of The Prettiest, and Parasite Rex in particular were excellent.

I have also read quite a bit of Peter Frost's and Greg Cochran's blogs that deal with genetics/selection.
Thank you! Just bought all of them except for Sapiens (which I'd already put on my Amazon list from a previous recommendation in this forum for it).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 pm

I bought Parasite Rex when it was $2 for kindle and haven’t read it. I dare not look at the kindle $2 book backlog. :o