Familiar?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Familiar?

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm Google it, Vinny, and you will see.
1. I refer to it as an internet search as don't believe "Google" = "internet" search. I was an earlier adopter of doing internet searches via Google but in 2013 I came across a web site that let you do an internet search giving you side-by-side results from both Google and Bing. After seeing the results I've been using Bing almost exclusively for my internet searches.

2. Such "Bing" search let to the quote being exact, word for word. My only conclusion is that he definitely was not rejoicing. But he otherwise gave us zero idea what else he was feeling.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Fair enough. Google is a monstrous organization that has trod all over its old “Don’t be evil” slogan (great stock though). However, it is a verb. It’s in the dictionary. So, I will continue to use it — I’m also not going to call you by your pronouns — and feel free to interpret it as Bing it, Duckduckgo search it, or whatever you please.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 pm Fair enough. Google is a monstrous organization that has trod all over its old “Don’t be evil” slogan (great stock though). However, it is a verb. It’s in the dictionary. So, I will continue to use it — I’m also not going to call you by your pronouns — and feel free to interpret it as Bing it, Duckduckgo search it, or whatever you please.
And, I won't call your by your pronouns!

I think the only time I do use Google is when I'm doing a search on books as I don't think that Bing has that feature.

I do, though, have a GoogleFi cell phone and use GoogleFi for my cell phone service.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Me, too. Great service so far.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 pm Me, too. Great service so far.
The major attraction for me was that the phones can make calls on WiFi. A year or two earlier I'd finally succumbed to get cell phone service. I think it was Ting. But for the rural area I live the only place I could get service was in my driveway. That was not going to work.

At my building where my office is at, I'm constantly seeing people to into the vestibule or outside use their cell phones. The one day I did use my cell phone it worked perfectly in my office (presumably off WiFi).

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Grant was magnanimous at a personal level, but he had no love for the ideals of slavery or the people who favored them by the time the civil war ended. The war changed him and Lincoln, it made them LESS tolerant of slavery. The latter part of the quote was my intent for posting. Bad is bad and the stars and bars and nazi swastika represent bad.

Side note, he’s faring pretty well amongst more modern historians. All history is revisionist, but the modern consensus is that a lot of his bad rap was a deliberate reading/interpretation of history in order to rewrite the root cause of the civil war and depict reconstruction in a bad light.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Kbg wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 am Grant was magnanimous at a personal level, but he had no love for the ideals of slavery or the people who favored them by the time the civil war ended. The war changed him and Lincoln, it made them LESS tolerant of slavery. The latter part of the quote was my intent for posting. Bad is bad and the stars and bars and nazi swastika represent bad.

Side note, he’s faring pretty well amongst more modern historians. All history is revisionist, but the modern consensus is that a lot of his bad rap was a deliberate reading/interpretation of history in order to rewrite the root cause of the civil war and depict reconstruction in a bad light.
Comparing the Confederate flag to the Nazi swastika is not really fair, IMO.

By the way, the Stars & Bars is a Confederate flag, but probably isn't the one you mean. This is the Stars & Bars:
It's often the selection of people who have to fly a Confederate flag but don't want people to know about it. It's common in "six flags over Texas" displays, for example. The Confederacy's first inclination was to use the Stars & Stripes, and make the federals choose a new flag, because they were the ones performing a revolution. But the Stars & Bars were adopted instead. That proved too similar on the battlefield, so a battle flag was designed (typically now known as "the Confederate flag"). That design was featured in the other two national flags, but was never itself the flag of the government: only of the soldiers serving in defense of their homes.

Regardless, the Confederate flag has flown everywhere that local people have gotten together to attempt to throw off know-everything, do-everything government. For example, at the fall of the Berlin Wall.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kbg wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 am Grant was magnanimous at a personal level, but he had no love for the ideals of slavery or the people who favored them by the time the civil war ended. The war changed him and Lincoln, it made them LESS tolerant of slavery. The latter part of the quote was my intent for posting. Bad is bad and the stars and bars and nazi swastika represent bad.

I've relayed the following elsewhere, a while ago but....when I was in third grade I read a book on the American presidents. And, from reading that book I decided my three favorites were Jefferson, Lincoln, and Grant. (Which then made me self-declare myself to now be a Republican).

In January 2017 I read this excellent book: https://smile.amazon.com/Grant-Jean-Edw ... l_huc_item Grant

It definitely portrays Grant as being one of our greatest presidents and having tremendous personal character values which he lived out in his life. It was amazing how much he achieved given the many, many low points in his life.

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Xan,

I find your posts and board personality to be nothing but pleasant and enjoyable. So let’s put this in the category of I respectfully but strongly disagree and leave it at that.

With a nod toward you being correct on the flag history. I did take consolation in knowing apparently I’m not the first. :-)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

I’m in the process of reading Chernow’s book on Grant. It’s very good. He definitely wins the title of comeback kid.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Kbg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:47 pm Xan,

I find your posts and board personality to be nothing but pleasant and enjoyable. So let’s put this in the category of I respectfully but strongly disagree and leave it at that.

With a nod toward you being correct on the flag history. I did take consolation in knowing apparently I’m not the first. :-)
Fair enough! And the flag thing is a very common mistake.