Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Privacy terms - Google Drive vs OneDrive

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:13 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Lesson: never let anyone else "manage" your domain for you. Register it yourself.
Isn't this true of most things in life? No one else is as invested as you are, as is likely to mess it up.

I keep a personal domain for email, and use KolabNow as a host. One day I'll just set up my own mail server, but KolabNow is at least privacy-minded and runs opensource software. I then use gmail or yahoo accounts for the stuff that's likely to spam me (online retailers, message forums -- sorry Xan :), etc)

It's a shame PGP isn't easier to set up everywhere, and get folks to install your keys.
When I want to buy something but I have no idea where to even start, I always go here: https://www.consumersearch.com/. And, many times I go with their top rated product or service.

Back in 2007 when I had no idea to use as a host, I went there and I went with who they recommended and have been with them since: https://www.easycgi.com/.

Seems like consumerserach, however, no longer allows you to do a search for a host. Fortunately for me they did have one in 2007 when I was in need.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 am
Dude, seriously, wtf?

1. Open a gmail or hotmail or yahoo mail account. You will never need to change it unless you want to.

2. unsubscribe from all of the commercial crap you aren't going to read anyway.
I have a hotmail account from a long time ago, which gets very little use, mostly as a backup when my web hosting company is messing up.
Other than that, I won't use any of those services. I know the NSA has all of my email but I don't feel like giving it to anyone else that I don't have to.
Oh, and my original personal domain was stolen from me, so I had to get another one.
Lesson: never let anyone else "manage" your domain for you. Register it yourself.
I believe that I am registering my own domain but maybe I'm not and someone else is "managing" it instead. If so, something I definitely would want to avoid. How do I determine what is my status regarding this?

Vinny
Do you pay for the domain registration? What web hosting service are you using?
This is the web hoster: https://www.easycgi.com/.

And, I think I paid something like $60 or so to keep my domain registration for the next five years? I'd have to open up Quicken to determine the exact amount and to who I paid it to. I also have another domain that I've never used that I pay 1&1 about $15 a year to have.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm

400-500 emails per day? I'm regularly at Inbox Zero on all three of my personal email accounts (G, Y, and H).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm
400-500 emails per day? I'm regularly at Inbox Zero on all three of my personal email accounts (G, Y, and H).
Are you saying you generally receive none at all three accounts? Or, you swiftly deal with whatever comes in to each?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:22 am
I have near-zero inbox in my gmail account with NO filtering except a few auto-deletes of spam. I have unsubcribed from newsletters and such that I don't have time or desire to read. Everything else stays in my inbox until I address it, which means read and then delete, archive, or take necessary action. Very few ever last in my inbox more than a few days. But then, I am the opposite of a hoarder. I insists on a neat & organized home and work space, and any minor crap that I probably don't need but decide to keep around anyway is hidden in the attic or spare room closet.
I am the paradoxical hoarder. I actually went to a class for it in 2005. And, the woman who came to my house to do a before inspection said she'd never seen anything like it. Most hoarders are completely unorganized with things just thrown into piles. I have huge collections of many things. And, being off-the-charts organized, all I own is either in numerical, chronological, or alphabetical order. In the pre-computer days I'd leave my office each day with absolutely nothing on my office desk so the next day I started each day fresh and just put on it only what I was working on it at the time. And, in the way I do my work I'm extremely structured and organized.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am
MangoMan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:22 am
I have near-zero inbox in my gmail account with NO filtering except a few auto-deletes of spam. I have unsubcribed from newsletters and such that I don't have time or desire to read. Everything else stays in my inbox until I address it, which means read and then delete, archive, or take necessary action. Very few ever last in my inbox more than a few days. But then, I am the opposite of a hoarder. I insists on a neat & organized home and work space, and any minor crap that I probably don't need but decide to keep around anyway is hidden in the attic or spare room closet.
I am the paradoxical hoarder. I actually went to a class for it in 2005. And, the woman who came to my house to do a before inspection said she'd never seen anything like it. Most hoarders are completely unorganized with things just thrown into piles. I have huge collections of many things. And, being off-the-charts organized, all I own is either in numerical, chronological, or alphabetical order. In the pre-computer days I'd leave my office each day with absolutely nothing on my office desk so the next day I started each day fresh and just put on it only what I was working on it at the time. And, in the way I do my work I'm extremely structured and organized.

Vinny
Can I assume, then, that you are not married? Very few spouses would put up with that.
Correct assumption. However, in my late mid-20s, I lived in a hour for four years that was near a college. It was a small house, no more than 1,000 square feet. It came with 3 bedrooms. The landlord when I moved in was 27 when I moved into that house. And, he and his girl friend also lived there. As part of someone's rent he had two more bedrooms built in the basement. Therefore, there were generally five (sometimes six, and, for a short period of time - eight) people living in that house (with only ONE bathroom!).

Over that four year span I lived with 33 different people. About 1/4 were female. And, since I was much younger with little money I had yet to acquire anywhere to 1/100 of what I now own. As a result there were no one among those 33 other people who was more organized and cleaner than myself. After three years of trying to clean up and organize for all those other people the last year there I just threw in the towel and said I'd only worry about the state of my own bedroom.

I grew up in a house where nothing was out of place, nothing from my bedroom or my area of the basement was even anywhere else in the house, and there was one tiny unorganized location in the entire house - one single "junk" drawer.

I have so much because whenever I have a specific interest I collect.

Vinny
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Few emails, and I handle them once, quickly, decisively.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:11 pm
Is the forum spammy? I notice that we've been blocked by AT&T again. I'm considering some other options for managing the outgoing mail.
No, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. Was just acknowledging the implication in my statement.