Do You Carry a Multitool?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do You Carry a Multitool?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am

l82start, your signature line is doctrine; how should I process it? ;)
I've learned that to ignore the truth does not change the truth.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am
THINK ABOUT IT... ;D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

l82start wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 am
THINK ABOUT IT... ;D
Your presupposition is that I can think. Sounds like more doctrine ... oops, did I just think? ;D ;D ;D
I've learned that to ignore the truth does not change the truth.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:30 pm
I do keep a Gerber multitool in my car; I find a Spyderco Delica 4, more convenient and useful for pocket carry (after removing the pocket clip). Medium Tex recommended it to me several years ago.
Wow, US$78. Beautiful knife, though.

grocer - wholesale dealer, one who buys and sells in gross.
merchant selling individual items of food is 16th cent. in Middle English this was a spicer.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:26 pm

You guys are hilarious.

I have no idea what the ladybug is, as I actually pilfered that pic off Google. (I'm a pirate... arr!) I do have the exact same swiss army knife though.

People at work are endlessly fascinated by it when I use it to open up a cardboard box or cut open a package.

I just love the quality and precision of these swiss army knives. I like the functionality and designs of some other brands too, but the insane quality of the swiss is what keeps me coming back.
e + 1 = 0
The Knuckleheads forum is my new name for the Bogleheads forum.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a Leatherman that I got at Fort Benning back in 2006. I had it on me every day in the military, but now I mostly use it for opening cans & boxes, and I use the screwdriver to assemble furniture and stuff every once in a while when I lived in an apartment and thus didn't have any other tools.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:12 pm

The Swiss Army Knives are really cool. I got my first as a kid from my Dad and replaced it as a young adult. Lost that replacement 15 years ago, and then I learned that it’s technically illegal to carry a knife on the street where I live. Even a small one. ( I still carry a tiny one once in a while on short trips to stick it to the Man. shh! )

Because of someone on this forum — what was his name? Coffee? — I got into Morakniv knives from Sweden. I love the serrated “Rope” model for cutting cardboard. Far more satisfying than a utility razor blade, although I still use those to score heavy cardboard before doing the real cut. They’re inexpensive, perform well, and have comfortable grips.

merchant selling individual items of food is 16th cent. in Middle English this was a spicer.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 pm

I carry a Spyderco Delica Clipit clipped onto my right pocket. If I'm in the mood for more weight, a Benchmade automatic knife (switchblades legal in TX).

I can always get to my data... it's in Google Drive.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:50 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 am
I used to carry one of those mini swiss army knives on my keychain. Super useful, but unfortunately I've lost all but one of them to the TSA because I keep forgetting to take it off before traveling. So the last one sits in a drawer.

I'm a big fan of keeping tools handy though! Thanks to how insane the world of packaging is, I find that a good set of pliers and a box cutter are essential kitchen tools. I also keep my father's old full-size swiss army knife in my office desk drawer - carefully out of sight of the "housewives of Orange County" types in my dept because I'm sure they wouldn't approve. Use it all the time.
Somewhere here in town is a store where they sell stuff confiscated at airports, I think statewide. My dad went there and picked up literally bagfuls of basic Swiss Army knives for dirt cheap. When I lose one (to the TSA or otherwise) I just get another out of the bag. Feels kind of dirty being the ones to ultimately profit off of people who have their knives confiscated by the government. Still, a great deal on pocket knives.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:12 pm

TSA are the ones profiting.

Ocho, I hope you back up that data. Or make use of Google Takeout.

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 pm

I've been debating for the past week about upgrading from my current SwissChamp to something even beefier. It was my debating about it that got me starting this thread, now that I think about it. This is the S54 Tool Chest. It's a real hefty hunk of tool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Swiss- ... 744&sr=8-1

It's got the adjustable pliers, wrench, compass, and locking blade. However it's thicker, heavier, and doesn't have the pen.

At least it's better than debating whether I have too much or too little in stocks. ::)
e + 1 = 0
The Knuckleheads forum is my new name for the Bogleheads forum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:01 am

That’s huge! Maybe you just need a tool belt. O0