Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Smith1776 wrote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody.

(As Vinny pointed out in the multitool thread, there is scant evidence that Bill Gates made that comment about RAM).

It’s funny- I googled it when I saw it earlier and suddenly remembered having heard it a long time ago. However, before I searched, I didn’t put it together, even with your Bill Gates profile pic. In fact, I thought the quote was about $640,000 being enough. I was like, who said that? US $ or Canadian? O0
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Signatures

Post by pugchief » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:50 pm

dualstow wrote:You know you’re into the pp when you see expiration dates at the grocery store and think, I have some bonds coming due then.
You know you spend too much time on this forum when you see GB and think it's referring to Golden Butterfly rather that Great Britain. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:16 pm

O0
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am

I don't think I've ever heard the quote in Smithers' signature. I do know that the president of IBM predicted that the world would only ever have use for a handful of supercomputers.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 am
I don't think I've ever heard the quote in Smithers' signature. I do know that the president of IBM predicted that the world would only ever have use for a handful of supercomputers.
A bunch of GREAT ones in the Scott Adams's Loserthink book!

STRAIGHT-LINE PREDICTIONS
Economists spend a lot of time trying to predict what will happen to people’s money if one or more variables in the world are tweaked. If you try to predict the future by assuming no variables ever change, you get predictions that look like these:

“The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty—a fad.”

—The president of Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer not to invest in Ford Motor Co., 19032

“The world potential market for copying machines is 5,000 at most.”

—IBM, to the eventual founders of Xerox, saying the photocopier had no market large enough to justify production, 19593

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”

—Ken Olsen, president, chairman, and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 19774

“Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau.”

—Irving Fisher, professor of economics, Yale University, 19295

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”

—Decca Records, rejecting the Beatles, 19626

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm

A thread started about my signature!

I have reached the height of fame! ;D

Another one of my favourites quotes:

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
PP + VP + Bank Cash + Physical Bullion
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
The true measurement of a person's worth isn't what they say they believe in, but what they do in defense of those beliefs. If you're not acting on your beliefs, then they probably aren't real. - Edward Snowden
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:21 pm

:)
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm
A thread started about my signature!
If things go off-topic, I sometimes I have a compulsion to start a thread for the off-topic part.
Hmm, I might have to start a thread for pithy quotes. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:31 am

In the gold-shine thread,
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 am
the bad guys know most are not going to be armed
i shoot back
I assume you're referring to my sig.

You own a gun, mathjak?
A friend of mine has an NYC permit but he lives in Nevada now, where he actually spends time shooting (targets).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:15 pm

My work is never done.
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Speaking of Canada vs. U.S -- we're definitely not shooting back here in the north. Concealed every day carry is illegal here.

I do have that swiss army knife, but we all know about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Dualstow's signatures are some of the best things on the forum. Although this one is about bad news...

just had to comment that at least the Hasidic Jews of Crown heights can take comfort in the fact that they appear to rate higher in the eyes of our dear mayor than female college students at Barnard. At least there is some effort to catch the perpetrators in the Crown Heights incidents. Except of course that they'll all be immediately released under the new bail law :-)
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:37 am

sophie wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm
Dualstow's signatures are some of the best things on the forum. Although this one is about bad news...

just had to comment that at least the Hasidic Jews of Crown heights can take comfort in the fact that they appear to rate higher in the eyes of our dear mayor than female college students at Barnard. At least there is some effort to catch the perpetrators in the Crown Heights incidents. Except of course that they'll all be immediately released under the new bail law :-)
As if on cue.....
https://nypost.com/2019/12/28/suspects- ... s-on-jews/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 am

As long as Hasids are going to dress conspicuously (i.e. forever), I think they had better get some armed bodyguards dressed the same way. Can’t depend on the gov’t to protect them.