Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by l82start » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:46 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:40 am
l82start wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 am
Does anyone on this forum raise chickens?
dualstow so why the question about chickens?
I asked you first. O0
Nah, I’m just asking because it seems to be becoming a trend. I’ve got a school friend who’s been raising them for years, but the number of friends who is raising them is suddenly increasing.
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:12 am
...
We do have a relatively close neighbor in a large new home that has a chicken pen in his yard with a dozen or two birds. You can hear the roosters crow early in the morning. Perhaps they are for eggs, perhaps for meat, perhaps to teach his children some history or how to take care of animals, perhaps for the alarm clock.
👍
my sister raises chickens, for eggs/pets, she is living a rural farm style life, so its not exactly trendy..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 am

Cool!
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Signatures

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:38 pm

I just noticed this addition to your sig, Smith. Good one!
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:38 pm
I just noticed this addition to your sig, Smith. Good one!
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
I aim to please! O0
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 am

Hal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:23 am
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Love the sig, Hal! ;D
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am

Tortoise, there are days when I feel galaktos intolerant O0
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Signatures

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
Tortoise, there are days when I feel galaktos intolerant O0
Ah, the infamous gas giant...
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm

😂
traveling...
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:28 pm
While Bogleheads focus on parroting Buffett’s comments about gold — I’m not trashing them — they should be paying attention to how gold moves relative to the dollar.
What really gets me is when no one on that forums sees the obvious logical fallacy in Buffett's argument.

Buffett presents a binary choice between all the productive farmland and something like 7 Exxon Mobils versus a block of gold. He then makes the obvious choice of saying the productive assets are the clear choice.

Well, duh.

But in the real world investors don't have a binary choice between stocks and gold. There's an infinite gradation between 100/0 and 0/100. Buffett committed the logical sin of the black-or-white fallacy -- a well known flaw that even a first year philosophy major should have been able to detect.

I honestly expected a stronger argument from someone as smart as him.
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:28 pm
While Bogleheads focus on parroting Buffett’s comments about gold — I’m not trashing them — they should be paying attention to how gold moves relative to the dollar.
What really gets me is when no one on that forums sees the obvious logical fallacy in Buffett's argument.

Buffett presents a binary choice between all the productive farmland and something like 7 Exxon Mobils versus a block of gold. He then makes the obvious choice of saying the productive assets are the clear choice.

Well, duh.

But in the real world investors don't have a binary choice between stocks and gold. There's an infinite gradation between 100/0 and 0/100. Buffett committed the logical sin of the black-or-white fallacy -- a well known flaw that even a first year philosophy major should have been able to detect.

I honestly expected a stronger argument from someone as smart as him.
Yes, that is an elementary logical fallacy: no one chooses between all the gold in the world and all the diamonds in the world either. There's this thing called "marginal utility".

But he doesn't need good arguments when people treat him as a guru.
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Signatures

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm

dualstow - congrats on the kombucha!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm
dualstow - congrats on the kombucha!
Thanks! The plain is delicious and I’ve got a few bottles in the cupboard attaining various flavors.
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Signatures

Post by Tortoise » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:08 pm

my house smells like star anise
Funny you should mention that, @dualstow. Just last week I bought some star anise for the first time ever to go in some mulled wine I was making.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:08 pm
my house smells like star anise
Funny you should mention that, @dualstow. Just last week I bought some star anise for the first time ever to go in some mulled wine I was making.
It’s my favorite spice. A few pieces in a slow cooker with ribs (and cinnamon and few other ingredients) ⇢ magic.
I also put it in vodka with caraway seed and fennel.
traveling...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2587
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Signatures

Post by Tortoise » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 pm
[Star anise is] my favorite spice. A few pieces in a slow cooker with ribs (and cinnamon and few other ingredients) ⇢ magic.
I also put it in vodka with caraway seed and fennel.
Cool, I'll be sure to try that. A few years ago I experimented with making different kinds of infused liquors (cherry whiskey, vanilla/ginger vodka, etc.).
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:06 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 pm
Where's Jack Ma?
Where is he indeed??? China just keeps getting more and more scary. Real life 1984 over there. Disinformation, people disappearing, a zeitgeist of conformity.

Or are we just getting misinformed by our media and China is the real promiseland?? Now that would be very 1984.

China has that law that says you can be punished for insulting the CCP no matter what country you reside in. If you travel there afterwards you could be detained. I will test that.... for science.

The Chinese Communist Party is a bunch of no good wankers.

Okay, going to China. BRB.
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm

Dualstow, if I don't make it back you can have all my gold. It's buried under the shed.
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4423
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Signatures

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Dualstow, if I don't make it back you can have all my gold. It's buried under the shed.
As long as it isn’t under Vinny’s compost pile! 🤣🤣🤣
What you revere you resemble, either for ruin or for restoration. G. K. Beale
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:37 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Dualstow, if I don't make it back you can have all my gold. It's buried under the shed.
As long as it isn’t under Vinny’s compost pile! 🤣🤣🤣
That's the perfect spot! No one would dare go in there!
"This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the "hidden" confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process." - Alan Greenspan, 1966
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Dualstow, if I don't make it back you can have all my gold. It's buried under the shed.
I’ve been. Paradise it ain’t. O0 Good food, though.
traveling...
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3469
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:12 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Dualstow, if I don't make it back you can have all my gold. It's buried under the shed.
I’ve been. Paradise it ain’t. O0 Good food, though.
Are we talking about China or under the shed?
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11782
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:10 am

O0
traveling...
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Signatures

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm

dualstow, I can't figure out what the emoji/icon is in your signature. Do tell.
User avatar
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by tomfoolery » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:00 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm
dualstow, I can't figure out what the emoji/icon is in your signature. Do tell.
That’s a geisha fan.
💉💉💉 **Biden 2024**
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Signatures

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Doh! Of course. That ties together the remaining life mysteries that I hadn't yet solved. Thanks, Tom.
Post Reply