Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10760
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I carry bear spray. Had to buy some for Yellowstone, but I refresh it every year in the city. No idea whether or not it’s legal.
I know I’m not allowed to carry knives.
Sure hope I don’t run into any bears.

Previous page;
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:16 pm
I sometimes carry around a little bottle of pepper spray (euphemistically marketed as "dog spray") with me when I go out and about. Say, when I know I'm going to be in downtown Vancouver late at night.

Effective up to 12 feet and non-lethal! It's probably the sweet spot for me in terms of what I'm comfortable with for self-defence.
I'm not certain, but I think that is illegal in Canada.
Bought from Canadian Tire, and clearly marketed for every day carry... only against potential dog attacks of course! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X


https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabr ... p.html#srp

EDIT: I must say, between this and the B.S. driving stuff I've been going through, I'm really starting to not like Canada.

EDIT EDIT: The global gold price not being denominated in our dollars doesn't help either. >:(
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by sophie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 pm

I only hope bear spray works better on people than it does on bears! If you come face to face with a grizzly, you could have a loaded AK-47 in your hand and it wouldn't do you any good.

Gotta look into that. NYC allows you to carry sprays, you just can't buy pepper spray either in the city or by online order. My personal plan to date has been to go straight for a particularly vulnerable part of the male anatomy.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6721
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by technovelist » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 am
pugchief wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:56 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 am
As long as Hasids are going to dress conspicuously (i.e. forever), I think they had better get some armed bodyguards dressed the same way. Can’t depend on the gov’t to protect them.
You'll notice that in the TX church shooting, the attacker was killed by members with concealed carry, and limited the damage to only 2 dead. Would have been a lot more dead if that was NY.
I think dualstow was talking about hiring security guards, who can carry concealed weapons. They are already getting help from the Guardian Angels. So thankful they are still around - and now getting more active!

As far as guns...the Angels can't carry them and not sure how effective they'd be in a shooting situation. Note though that the violent attacks so far have involved fists & knives, not guns. It might be that (as the studies on this suggest) there is a positive net effect of tight gun restrictions. For every Texas church saved by armed congregants, there are probably at least as many other people who DIDN'T get shot by the guns that their attackers were not able to get hold of. I get the Second Amendment and all, it's just that I don't know if the self-defense argument really holds up.
The research is clear: by far the best way to defend yourself is with a gun.
This is especially true for women, who are almost all weaker than even an average-strength man.
And criminals can always get guns, so the best estimate is that there are exactly zero people whose lives have been saved by "tight gun restrictions", whereas there are millions of defensive uses of guns every year in the US.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6721
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by technovelist » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

sophie wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 pm
I only hope bear spray works better on people than it does on bears! If you come face to face with a grizzly, you could have a loaded AK-47 in your hand and it wouldn't do you any good.

Gotta look into that. NYC allows you to carry sprays, you just can't buy pepper spray either in the city or by online order. My personal plan to date has been to go straight for a particularly vulnerable part of the male anatomy.
After doing a bit of research, you're right that an AK-47 isn't the best choice for that situation. A .44 magnum should do the job though, and it's a lot more portable.

As for your personal plan, guns are a lot more effective: https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ ... earch-show
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by sophie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for posting that, tech! Very well written survey of the literature...I keep forgetting that actual facts are generally not well translated into news articles or sound bites.

A gun for self-defense simply isn't an option in NYC, although moving out is probably what I'd do if it got to the point where a gun became a necessity. However, self-defense classes might be a good idea...looking into those.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm

There are Taekwondo and Judo gyms right down the street from my house. This discussion has me thinking that I should get back into it. The practical skills learned aside, it's also great fun!

Sophie, reading your comment about a particularly vulnerable area made me wince and cross my legs. ;D :o

If I ever meet you in person I'm wearing a cup.
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10760
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Don't leave out Cobra Kai. O0
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6721
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by technovelist » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:45 pm

sophie wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am
Thanks for posting that, tech! Very well written survey of the literature...I keep forgetting that actual facts are generally not well translated into news articles or sound bites.

A gun for self-defense simply isn't an option in NYC, although moving out is probably what I'd do if it got to the point where a gun became a necessity. However, self-defense classes might be a good idea...looking into those.
I suspect that a lot of people ignore such unconstitutional laws. And it’s even possible that the Supreme Court will actually figure out what infringed means in the current gun control case they are hearing this term.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by sophie » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm
There are Taekwondo and Judo gyms right down the street from my house. This discussion has me thinking that I should get back into it. The practical skills learned aside, it's also great fun!

Sophie, reading your comment about a particularly vulnerable area made me wince and cross my legs. ;D :o

If I ever meet you in person I'm wearing a cup.
You'd be safer yet if you didn't try to mug me :-)

But, you could certainly use that technique yourself if you were ever in a bad situation, right?? Except that it's theory and I have no idea how I'd manage it in practice.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Signatures

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm
There are Taekwondo and Judo gyms right down the street from my house. This discussion has me thinking that I should get back into it. The practical skills learned aside, it's also great fun!

Sophie, reading your comment about a particularly vulnerable area made me wince and cross my legs. ;D :o

If I ever meet you in person I'm wearing a cup.
You'd be safer yet if you didn't try to mug me :-)

But, you could certainly use that technique yourself if you were ever in a bad situation, right?? Except that it's theory and I have no idea how I'd manage it in practice.
But your gold bullion looked so shiny!! ;D

Yeah, as a kid I read Bruce Lee’s The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and it had some awfully painful looking drawings of attacks to the groin.

:o :o :o
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10760
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:55 am

Tyler wrote
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
I watched some of National Treasure — or the sequel actually — being filmed in Philly as we ran into the scene walking back from Chinatown. Fun! I think Sean Bean was the only real actor there. Everyone else was a stunt double.

It’s funny that you wrote treasure manager. I sometimes consider printing up a business card that reads TREASURE STEWARD.
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10760
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Signatures

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:15 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 pm
Is anyone successfully using Veracrypt in MacOS Catalina?
Never used Veracrypt, but I am not impressed how Catalina broke a crap ton of my third party apps.

My fault really -- I should have read reviews on how Catalina's 64-bit nature would break many 32-bit games in particular.
Hmm. Good to know, although I barely have any third party apps on my Mac. I have learned that they get broken so I don't always upgrade, and since I don't play videogames it's easy to keep apps to a minimum. Telegram is all I need.

I went from Snow Leopard and Mavericks to Sierra and High Sierra and have been resisting going further, perhaps until I have new hardware. However, I want to back up an iPad mini before replacing it, and I just read that Catalina OS lets you use Finder to back up instead of iTunes.

I hate iTunes so much that I am willing to give up Veracrypt O0 and just create DMG files if I have to. There's also the chance that I'll still be able to use Veracrypt and create new containers. I just won't be able to access old ones, so I'll have to copy encrypted files to plaintext.

Do you like Catalina aside from the broken 3rd party apps, or is that like asking Mrs Lincoln how the play was? O0
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
Post Reply