Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Signatures

Post by pugchief » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:30 am

I've not used Mac or Veracrypt, but when Truecypt became compromised, I started using Diskcryptor on my Windows machines with good success. No containers though. diskcryptor.net
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 am

dualstow wrote:I've often thought Tim Pool's way of speaking sounds like Chris Wallace, and they're both from Chicago. Is that one kind of Chicago accent?
There is no such thing as a 'Chicago accent'. The issue is that everyone from roughly this area has a thick accent and thinks the rest of the country sounds funny. O0 ;D
accent.jpg
accent.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 844 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:36 am

pugchief wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 am
dualstow wrote:I've often thought Tim Pool's way of speaking sounds like Chris Wallace, and they're both from Chicago. Is that one kind of Chicago accent?
There is no such thing as a 'Chicago accent'. The issue is that everyone from roughly this area has a thick accent and thinks the rest of the country sounds funny. O0 ;D

Code: Select all

accent.jpg
:D For the Chicago accent, I usually think of people who sound like this guy:
https://youtu.be/IQpj2iJSIsY?t=6
Lenovo To Sell OEM Ubuntu PCs To the Public (Tom's Hardware)
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:36 am
pugchief wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 am

Code: Select all

accent.jpg
:D For the Chicago accent, I usually think of people who sound like this guy:
https://youtu.be/IQpj2iJSIsY?t=6
LOL Scientific research backing my claims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fepgtXjFo7Q
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 am
I went from Snow Leopard and Mavericks to Sierra and High Sierra and have been resisting going further, perhaps until I have new hardware. However, I want to back up an iPad mini before replacing it, and I just read that Catalina OS lets you use Finder to back up instead of iTunes.

I hate iTunes so much that I am willing to give up Veracrypt O0 and just create DMG files if I have to. There's also the chance that I'll still be able to use Veracrypt and create new containers. I just won't be able to access old ones, so I'll have to copy encrypted files to plaintext.

Do you like Catalina aside from the broken 3rd party apps, or is that like asking Mrs Lincoln how the play was? O0
I've had no issues with the current release of Catalina. A couple of minor ones on the initial release. I have no 32bit apps though. Catalina has a few improvements vs. High Sierra or Mojave but nothing earth shattering in my opinion. I think most of the changes are undercover such as improved security. Backing up iPhones to my MacBook Pro using Finder works flawlessly and easily, as did backing up to iTunes with earlier MacOS releases. I also back up my iPhones to iCloud. I think iCloud is pretty secure so I don't worry about using encryption apps beyond what MacOS does to secure the info. I tend to update MacOS promptly with every release to keep up with the security updates - worth it in my case to deal with the usually very minor bugs.
Its OK if some people don’t like you, not everyone has good taste.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am
Backing up iPhones to my MacBook Pro using Finder works flawlessly and easily, as did backing up to iTunes with earlier MacOS releases. I also back up my iPhones to iCloud. I think iCloud is pretty secure so I don't worry about using encryption apps beyond what MacOS does to secure the info.
Thank you, Sir. I primarily use veracrypt to keep an offline password list and some journal (diary) files.
I copied some passwords to a USB drive last year and lost the drive on an Amtrak train or a cab, so they're out there. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:59 am

pugchief wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 am
LOL Scientific research backing my claims:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fepgtXjFo7Q
I love the top comment from OwnageCubed.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

dualstow wrote:

Do you like Catalina aside from the broken 3rd party apps, or is that like asking Mrs Lincoln how the play was? O0
Heh, I've personally found Catalina to be no practical improvement over its predecessor. I'm sure there are features and improvements, but I honestly couldn't tell you what they were without looking them up.

The big three things I've noticed have all been degradations for my particular setup:

1) Catalina crashes every time I put my computer to sleep with an external monitor attached.
2) It breaks 32-bit apps, in particular my games
3) It's slower than its predecessor. It takes fewer open apps and windows to bog down the system. Catalina appears to be a bigger RAM hog. (And not in the "we're just pre-caching your apps" way, but the bogging down way.)

On the bright side, it appears Microsoft has really stepped up their game. And we all know windows machines are cheaper generally, which is great. Their OS has reliability that appears to be more or less on par with MacOS now, and they're embracing Linux!

I'll probably make a switch for my next machine. These prices are nuts!
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Well, you’ve given me something to ponder here. I’m no rush to go back to Windows (left after XP, which I liked), but I think I should stick with the very capable High Sierra OS for now. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Maybe I’ll just back up using iTunes as Mountaineer did and continue to enjoy Veracrypt.

Thanks, guys.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm
dualstow wrote:

Heh, I've personally found Catalina to be no practical improvement over its predecessor. I'm sure there are features and improvements, but I honestly couldn't tell you what they were without looking them up.

The big three things I've noticed have all been degradations for my particular setup:

1) Catalina crashes every time I put my computer to sleep with an external monitor attached.
2) It breaks 32-bit apps, in particular my games
3) It's slower than its predecessor. It takes fewer open apps and windows to bog down the system. Catalina appears to be a bigger RAM hog. (And not in the "we're just pre-caching your apps" way, but the bogging down way.)

On the bright side, it appears Microsoft has really stepped up their game. And we all know windows machines are cheaper generally, which is great. Their OS has reliability that appears to be more or less on par with MacOS now, and they're embracing Linux!

I'll probably make a switch for my next machine. These prices are nuts!
I doubt I would ever buy a Mac.

As for other OSs, I am developing my ThreeMisses C++ library for both Linux and Windows, because those two OSs have over 90% of the server market. I work primarily in Windows, mostly due to Visual Studio, which is far superior to any IDE on Linux.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:51 am

ThreeMisses?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Well, you’ve given me something to ponder here. I’m no rush to go back to Windows (left after XP, which I liked), but I think I should stick with the very capable High Sierra OS for now. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Maybe I’ll just back up using iTunes as Mountaineer did and continue to enjoy Veracrypt.

Thanks, guys.
I also liked XP, Windows 7 even more, and Windows 10 is the best. I currently use computers that, between them, run all three operating systems.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."