Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Failure of the ebook model

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:26 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:36 pm
A decade ago, everyone thought that ebooks were the future of publishing. But currently 80% of the market is still print. An interesting analysis of why ebook pricing never panned out as planned, resulting in ebooks never taking off as anticipated.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/23/ ... apple-ipad

I love my Kindle but am still pissed that there is no way to share or resell purchased titles, nor can you buy cheap 'used' books. Because of that, pricing should be waaaay lower than print. But it isn't.
Highly informative article. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have multiple Kindles, iPads, and every other tablet imaginable and do use them to read ebooks. However, I do tons of paper books because they are so incredibly cheap buying them used on Amazon.

And, I agree with you regarding the sharing / selling restrictions Amazon places on their Kindle ebooks.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:48 pm

I have read previous articles on the inflated prices, ugh.

It’s funny how I read online articles all the time, every day, but usually put my kindle books on the backburner when I have something in print. I often pick up kindle titles for under US$3, but read them? I’ve got a nice library cover in my lap.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:38 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:48 pm
I have read previous articles on the inflated prices, ugh.

It’s funny how I read online articles all the time, every day, but usually put my kindle books on the backburner when I have something in print. I often pick up kindle titles for under US$3, but read them? I’ve got a nice library cover in my lap.
Depending upon the circumstances, I'll read books as a paper book, on an iPad, a phone, an ITouch, a Kindle, on this computer screen. Just depends.

This year I bought the Kindle Paper White on a whim, just because it was on sale. As I was buying it I asked myself what did I need yet another e-reading device for? When it arrived I was quite disappointed with it because of its size. I generally like to read ebooks on something similar in size to a real book, like an iPad.

But then one night I took it with me to a restaurant and I fell in love with it. I could eat with my right hand and hold and turns pages on the Kindle in my left hand, meaning no break in the reading action! And, then I realized it could fit in my back pocket. So I started taking it with me to hear live music. And, pulled it out to read during breaks in the music or if the music being played was not engaging me.

Does anyone know if there is ANY phone available that provides a screen as big as the Kindle Paper White? If so, I'd buy it. That phone would then really have all that I'd want in a phone. Right now phones just do not provide enough information for me. That Kindle and an iPad mini are currently the smallest screens that I'll deal with on a regular basis.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:34 am

Does anyone know if there is ANY phone available that provides a screen as big as the Kindle Paper White?
How about an ipad mini with cellular?
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:48 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:45 am
What size Kindle did you buy, Vinny? Mine won't fit in a pocket. 7" screen plus another 1/2" of border
Kindle paperwhite

6 5/8" long and, most importantly, 4 1/2" wide.

Back pocket of my Levis seems to 5 1/2" wide.

Actual reading screen size is 4 13/16" X 3 9/16"

As I hold it now it seems way too small. But it's perfect for the times I use it. Just about entirely when I am NOT home.

Vinny
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:37 am

As the article points out, e-books have not destroyed the paper publishing industry.

However, I would point out that some e-books are better designed than others. I have a kindle app for my i-phone and one of the few titles I keep there is the e-version of craigr and Medium Tex's Permanent Portfolio book. They must have had a good editor to guide them, because I find the information is broken into readable segments; the notes and charts pop out well; and the mix of text, graphics, and cartoons is really good.I find myself reading it over and over again and using it as a basic reference for each of the four assets. I am pretty cheap, but I would definitely spring for a 10th anniversary updated version 2.0.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:57 am

Limitations notwithstanding, I’ve gone mostly ebooks now for a couple of reasons. Don’t want to buy another bookshelf/take up space with physical books. I travel fairly frequently for pleasure or work and it’s nice to not have to lug around a heavy book(s) and I can take multiple books in my iPad! Physical books don’t travel well either...ripped/folded pages, broken spines, smashed book edges etc. If I were a fluff paperback reader I probably wouldn’t care but I tend to more substantive material that is usually in hardback.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:01 pm

I balked at using a Kindle a few years ago. But it's all I read on now. The ability to carry so many books in one thing, and with month+ battery life, and (lately...) the ability to increase font size...!
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:01 pm
I balked at using a Kindle a few years ago. But it's all I read on now. The ability to carry so many books in one thing, and with month+ battery life, and (lately...) the ability to increase font size...!
Same here -- was steadfastly a physical book person. Then started using my SO's old kindle, and have since gotten addicted. Still like buying (used) physical books, but read a ton on Kindle.

I do still like having a physical library!