Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 am

l82start wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 am
chocolate milk with egg whites is an easy, tasty, budget friendly protein shake, and no weird powdered chemical flavor. Both come in a carton, just pour together and drink, no stirring required....
The last time I calculated it out, pastuerized egg whites (PEW) were NOT a budget-friendly source of protein. For instance, instead of getting chocolate milk + PEWs, you could just get a Fairlife (filtered milk) chocolate milk, which is absolutely delicious and has more protein per dollar and you don't have to mix anything.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 am

Or, obviously, whey protein mixed in milk for even more protein/$. But I think Fairlife tastes better and has a better texture.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 15, 2020 7:51 am

i haven't done a dollar to protein cost comparison, unless the egg-white and chocolate milk is ridiculously more expensive, i think how good it tastes is probably worth a bit more.. not the cheapest i will concede, but its yummy for buck ratio i think budget friendly is fair...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am
I've never understood drinking raw eggs, except in Rocky because it was cool then. And maybe they didn't know that the protein isn't absorbed as well when they're raw. What's the thought process there, Mark?
The coffee mix is about 160F after blending, so the egg proteins are denatured and pasteurized when I drink them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 am
l82start wrote:
chocolate milk with egg whites is an easy, tasty, budget friendly protein shake, and no weird powdered chemical flavor. Both come in a carton, just pour together and drink, no stirring required....
The last time I calculated it out, pastuerized egg whites (PEW) were NOT a budget-friendly source of protein. For instance, instead of getting chocolate milk + PEWs, you could just get a Fairlife (filtered milk) chocolate milk, which is absolutely delicious and has more protein per dollar and you don't have to mix anything.
I gotta think if cost is your main driver, Vinny's grains and beans (he uses canned as I do, but dry is even cheaper) has got to beat everything on a protein per dollar scale.

Of course, if you add in the cost of a Beano tablet, all bets are off. O0
Of course I buy those cans on sale for $1 a can. And, no need for Beano. The beans get well cooked!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 9:14 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am
MangoMan wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
l82start wrote:
I gotta think if cost is your main driver, Vinny's grains and beans (he uses canned as I do, but dry is even cheaper) has got to beat everything on a protein per dollar scale.

Of course I buy those cans on sale for $1 a can. And, no need for Beano. The beans get well cooked!

Vinny
Just checked. A full can contains 28g of protein. Therefore, less than 4 cents per gram of protein.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri May 15, 2020 9:28 am

One advantage of working at home is that you can slow roast large cuts of meat, divide them up into containers or ziploc bags and freeze, then use them to put together quick & easy meals. The large cuts are cheaper and easier to find now, while typical small, lean meat cuts are harder to find and pricier.

I just turned a bone-in pork butt into a large amount of exceptionally delicious pulled pork. Warning, this is not for anyone who subscribes to the low-fat philosophy. I got over that quite a while ago when I went on the keto diet, started doing some reading, and discovered long-forgotten virtues of animal fat.

It takes a while but it's simple:

step 1 - brine for 24 hours
step 2 - put on a spice dry rub, then roast in a 225 degree oven until internal temperature is 200, takes 12-16 hours depending on the size.
step 3 - let it cool then break it apart with a couple of forks.

The meat is only part of the largesse. I poured off and saved the rendered fat in the roasting pan, and I used some of it to make mayonnaise. Super mega delicious, great topping for the pork, and very easy with a stick blender and a mason jar. I also got a lot of broth that separated out and jelled - ooh, free collagen. The fat layer I took off, put back in the roasting pan and baked in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes. The result is sort of bacon-like and goes great with eggs in the morning.

Warning: your oven may decide to shut itself off after 12 hours, so be on the alert for that.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 9:47 am

l82start wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:51 am
i haven't done a dollar to protein cost comparison, unless the egg-white and chocolate milk is ridiculously more expensive, i think how good it tastes is probably worth a bit more.. not the cheapest i will concede, but its yummy for buck ratio i think budget friendly is fair...
I thought about it a bit more when I went for a stroll, and yea if you like the taste, who cares. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm at an essential business. To answer MangoMan too, I don't just factor in cost. When people say something is a "good source" of protein, then I look at the cost, how hard it is to eat enough of it, and if it carries a lot of fat or carbs with it too. This mostly applies to vegans saying that nuts are a good source of protein. Or when they talk about how spinach has higher protein/calorie than beef or whatever.
Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 am
The coffee mix is about 160F after blending, so the egg proteins are denatured and pasteurized when I drink them.
You know, I missed the part where you blended all that together. I read it as you were blending up butter, egg whites, and collagen.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:33 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am
MangoMan wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote:
l82start wrote:

Vinny
Does cooking the canned beans longer result in less gas? I have never heard that. Link?
Maybe that is not the reason.

https://nutritionovereasy.com/2015/10/s ... rom-beans/

But maybe I AM doing #4. I used to ALWAYS to #6 for the reason cited. But have recently stopped because I'm down to so few ingredients and overall have an extremely low intake of sodium.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am

I like making pinto beans in the crockpot, they mash up like refried beans. The article is absolutely right, though, if I haven't had them in a while I start poisoning my environment.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 10:02 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am
I like making pinto beans in the crockpot, they mash up like refried beans. The article is absolutely right, though, if I haven't had them in a while I start poisoning my environment.
Are there issues with cooking old, old, old beans? Like 15 year old beans that have been in a sealed jar all this time?

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am

I'm not sure, but that seems pretty old. I made some that were a couple years old that were just stored in a tupperware a few weeks ago, and they were somewhat tough to eat and potent to process.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 11:16 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 am
I always soak & rinse canned beans at least 3 times. I eat them semi-regularly, but not daily. But if I don't use Beano, bio-weapon level emissions are a guarantee.

Same with broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.
I only rinse them once with cold water for about 30 seconds. Mainly to get rid of some sodium (even though they are already low sodium).

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri May 15, 2020 1:51 pm

40 days on a tin bean diet

Thanks for the recommendation, Tubes.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Honestly guys...staying away from grocery stores? Is it really that bad?

All I can say is you have a ton of willpower, to live on rice and beans for over a month in order to not buy groceries. And no cream for coffee? Please at least tell me you have coffee?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri May 15, 2020 11:58 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 pm

All I can say is you have a ton of willpower, to live on rice and beans for over a month in order to not buy groceries. And no cream for coffee? Please at least tell me you have coffee?
Now 8 weeks and three days since I've been off my property. No outside food brought in during all that time. Not sufficiently motivated to do so. Greatly enjoying the Extreme super introvert lifestyle! Not feeling deprived in any way.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am

WiseOne wrote:

Ha. it’s pretty bad, but I agree with you, WiseOne. We all have to draw the line somewhere. Someone asked recently if we should have 5-MPH speed limits.

My wife’s going to go out anyway whether I do or not, so we take turns and go to different food vendors. It has become a real pleasure to see the city looking so clean and the air smelling so fresh. If I could just be rid of the pollen... O0

I think it would take something like an airborne face-melting ebola bug to stop me from procuring coffee and even then, I’m not sure. We’ve been ordering freeze dried. It’s not that bad, and fun to make.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am

Youtube comes through again with the topical recommendation, thanks for the spying. L82start, this dude said he mixes his egg whites with some Walden Farms chocolate stuff. Their calorie-free maple syrup is great, so I imagine this is superb.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am
Youtube comes through again with the topical recommendation, thanks for the spying. L82start, this dude said he mixes his egg whites with some Walden Farms chocolate stuff. Their calorie-free maple syrup is great, so I imagine this is superb.
it sounds pretty good, i was mixing 1/2 and 1/2 egg-white from a carton and "TruMoo After Dark Mexican Style Chocolate Milk" I haven't tried egg whites straight, but they disappear well.. i may take a swig next time i have some around, just to see...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am
WiseOne wrote:

Ha. it’s pretty bad, but I agree with you, WiseOne. We all have to draw the line somewhere. Someone asked recently if we should have 5-MPH speed limits.

My wife’s going to go out anyway whether I do or not, so we take turns and go to different food vendors. It has become a real pleasure to see the city looking so clean and the air smelling so fresh. If I could just be rid of the pollen... O0

I think it would take something like an airborne face-melting ebola bug to stop me from procuring coffee and even then, I’m not sure. We’ve been ordering freeze dried. It’s not that bad, and fun to make.
I'm with you on the coffee! I use a simple drip cone...tastier coffee than any machine I've tried and a lot simpler to negotiate first thing in the morning. I also get ground coffee because I hate the sound of grinders and I'm too lazy to do that anyway. Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.

As far as the risk of going to the grocery store...I might rethink if it's significantly worse than stuff I've done previously, like going on a multiday backpacking trip in the Sierras and getting caught on a mountaintop during a thunderstorm. There's also the issue of supporting local businesses because you want them to still exist after the lockdown ends.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 17, 2020 12:53 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm
Do you guys feel like you are not getting enough protein
Sometimes, yea.
WiseOne wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am
I'm with you on the coffee! I use a simple drip cone...tastier coffee than any machine I've tried and a lot simpler to negotiate first thing in the morning. I also get ground coffee because I hate the sound of grinders and I'm too lazy to do that anyway. Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
I've just been drinking instant coffee lately, because I'm a psychopath.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun May 17, 2020 1:25 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm
Do you guys feel like you are not getting enough protein thru normal diet? Unless you are a competitive weightlifter, there is more than enough protein in a semi-healthy American diet.
i was experimenting with adding extra around workouts..

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

(WiseOne) There's also the issue of supporting local businesses because you want them to still exist after the lockdown ends.
Absolutely. I like going to the farmers markets because it’s open air — no crowded aisles to navigate — and well organized, but also because I want these vendors to stick around after the pandemic.
—-
I’d never heard of the eggshell thing either. Fascinating.

I usually grind and brew myself, but as long as we have all this freeze-dried stuff in the house I’m being lazy.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
Could you please elaborate? Do you save egg shell for this purpose? Do you wash them or do anything to them? How much do you add?
There are a ton of variations, everything from the shell to the whole egg. It is generally accepted to be a Swedish thing. Look up Swedish Egg Coffee

For me, John Steinbeck's account in "Travels with Charley" is the definitive story.
"I went into my house and set coffee to cooking, and remembering how Roark Bradford liked it, I doubled the dosage, two heaping tablespoons for each cup and two heaping for the pot. I cracked an egg and cupped out the yolk and dropped shells and white into the pot, for I know nothing that polishes coffee and makes it shine like that.

The air was still very cold, and a cold night was coming, so that the brew, rising from cold water to a rolling boil, gave the good smell that competes successfully with other good smells.

My guest was satisfied, and he warmed his hands against the plastic cup. “By your license, you’re a stranger here,” he said. “How do you come to know about coffee?”

'I learned on Bourbon Street from giants in the earth,' I said. 'But they would have asked the bean of darker roast, and they would have liked a little chicory for bite.'"
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
Could you please elaborate? Do you save egg shell for this purpose? Do you wash them or do anything to them? How much do you add?

I was introduced to a product called Buisman's Royal Aroma coffee additive years ago. It is basically some kind of burnt sugar ground into a powder that you add a 1/4 tsp to the grounds in your Mr Coffee that reduces acidity and bitterness. It works well, but is hard to find and is somewhat expensive. If I could get the same result with egg shells I would be thrilled.
It's an awesome trick. Yes, it does exactly what that additive does.

I save eggshells in a bowl, and when I've collected enough of them I put them in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or so to get rid of any nasties. Let cool, then put the shells into a plastic baggie and crush them up by squeezing or with a rolling pin. Put a generous pinch into your coffee grounds...you'll figure out how much after a few trial runs. The eggshells also do wonders for houseplants, or you can put them in your garden.