Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Post by l82start » Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am

i am curious mark, i thought you were traveling, if you are on the road how are you brewing/blending your coffee? what is your setup?
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 18, 2020 10:19 am

l82start wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am
i am curious mark, i thought you were traveling, if you are on the road how are you brewing/blending your coffee? what is your setup?
I carry 2 300 watt immersion heaters with me. A few self-standing high temp (400°F), food grade, silicone bags for boiling, a collapsible pour over coffee dripper and a double walled titanium mug. For blending, I use a rechargeable milk frother. It roars!

Or, if I'm in an AirBnB I just use the coffee pot or Keurig machine.
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.05.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.05.32 AM.png (442.04 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.08.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.08.08 AM.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6142 times
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.10.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.10.03 AM.png (820.93 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.13.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.13.39 AM.png (710.32 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.14.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 8.14.20 AM.png (653.37 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon May 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Back when I had to deal with frequent business trips, I did much the same thing! Except I haven't yet acquired the immersion heater, as I've only had to contend a couple of times with hotel rooms that didn't have the ability to make hot water. If you run into that, most hotels will give you an electric kettle on request.

Another key piece of travel equipment: the hot logic portable slow cooker:

https://www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Pe ... NrPXRydWU=

This thing can cook a meal from scratch in about 4-6 hours, or heat up prepared food in an hour or less. And you can use it to keep your coffee hot. I even use this at home sometimes, as it's great for sealing in heat and odors.

I also have a mini Sawyer water filter. I am spoiled on NYC water which is minimally chlorinated and very soft. In most cities, the chlorine and sometimes sulfur smells in the water makes me gag, plus you never know what shape the hotels pipes are in.

I can't tell you how happy I am to not have to deal with this for the duration. I suppose it would be different if you were traveling by choice.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:42 pm
Another key piece of travel equipment: the hot logic portable slow cooker:

https://www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Pe ... NrPXRydWU=

This thing can cook a meal from scratch in about 4-6 hours, or heat up prepared food in an hour or less. And you can use it to keep your coffee hot. I even use this at home sometimes, as it's great for sealing in heat and odors.
That looks pretty cool, WiseOne! I had briefly looked at those and didn't think they did more than warm up your sandwich. With all of the shutdowns, I'm road tripping now and this looks like it could be fun to play with. Probably won't make the cut for when I start flying again, but in the meantime... All queued up for my next Amazon Locker stop!

Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

Not quite the topic title but food related...

Life & Arts Food & Drink

How Quitting Caffeine Will Affect Your Sleep—And Your Worldview
The author of ‘Caffeine’ offers tips and truths on the abiding addiction that shanghais our shut-eye—something we need more than ever now

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-quitti ... ggTmMCHVlQ

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:19 am
l82start wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am
I carry 2 300 watt immersion heaters with me. A few self-standing high temp (400°F), food grade, silicone bags for boiling, a collapsible pour over coffee dripper and a double walled titanium mug. For blending, I use a rechargeable milk frother. It roars!

Or, if I'm in an AirBnB I just use the coffee pot or Keurig machine.
nice .. very tight setup.... and very portable...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm
Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
Could you please elaborate? Do you save egg shell for this purpose? Do you wash them or do anything to them? How much do you add?
There are a ton of variations, everything from the shell to the whole egg. It is generally accepted to be a Swedish thing. Look up Swedish Egg Coffee

For me, John Steinbeck's account in "Travels with Charley" is the definitive story.
"I went into my house and set coffee to cooking, and remembering how Roark Bradford liked it, I doubled the dosage, two heaping tablespoons for each cup and two heaping for the pot. I cracked an egg and cupped out the yolk and dropped shells and white into the pot, for I know nothing that polishes coffee and makes it shine like that.
I followed this recipe (same as Mark’s link above) and I sorta kinda forgot that “cups” means something different altogether when it comes to coffee.

9 coffee cups, 5-oz cups, is already more than this household consumes in a day. The recipe is for a small Lutheran Church. Using the measuring cup, I put in 8-oz cups of water. The result was a remarkably low-acid beverage, that was also free of any coffee flavor, and sported a beautiful light caramel color.

Next time I’ll try just 40-45 oz water, and the dry measure of 3/4 coffee. I’ll figure out the proportion by trying, like WiseOne said.

Or maybe the coffee just binded with the egg too quickly, I don’t know.

ADDED: the final mugful has a nice color and tastes ok. It was still sitting in the mixture while I was washing out the french press.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am

I tried split peas for the first time in my life recently, and they're pretty good. Usually I stick with lentils but these have the same macros so I decided to branch out.

I made them in the slow cooker, and they turned into a creamy soup.

1 pound green split peas
a small onion
can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
a few cracks of pepper
a few peppers and garlics from the garden

I let them go for 8 hours in the slow cooker, which was probably too long.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am
I tried split peas for the first time in my life recently
Wait until you try beer- you’re going to love it.
Really, why the wait? you had an aversion to them or you just didn’t know they existed?

I like a little liquid smoke in mine if there’s no ham.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Really, why the wait? you had an aversion to them or you just didn’t know they existed?

Split pea beer? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:32 pm

I would try it, once O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:43 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Pea beer sounds like something monks would make. I always thought of monks as eating bread and peas and other boring foods they grow in their monastery, but then drinking some of the heaviest beers on the planet and getting wasted.

I dunno. Mom never made them when I was a kid I guess.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:36 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
1 pound green split peas
a small onion
can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
a few cracks of pepper
I doubled the turmeric and salt, put in slightly less water, replaced the diced tomatoes with a can of Rotel, and only cooked them for 5 hours. THESE SPLIT PEAS ARE GODDAMN DELICIOUS AAGGGHHHH.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
I tried split peas for the first time in my life recently, and they're pretty good. Usually I stick with lentils but these have the same macros so I decided to branch out.

I made them in the slow cooker, and they turned into a creamy soup.

1 pound green split peas
a small onion
can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
a few cracks of pepper

I let them go for 8 hours in the slow cooker, which was probably too long.
Hey! You made something I COULD eat and WOULD enjoy eating! I did not think it was possible based upon what else I've read of your diet.

By the way is turmeric an integral ingredient in Gulden's Spicy mustard? Yes. Just checked. It is the last ingredient. I HATE the yellow mustard. LOVE the spicy mustard.

I ran out a few weeks ago and was upset because it and peanut butter (both used together) are my only salad dressing. I did, though, remember I had turmeric powder and discovered that was a quite good substitute for the mustard.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:39 pm

This afternoon cooked food for the first time since sometime in June. Since then I've mainly been consuming what has been coming out of my garden and fruit.

The ingredients:

water
rolled oats
quinoa
blueberries
raisins
dates

microwaved it a total of 22 minutes (7 / 10 / 5)

Came out the consistency of thick pudding.

Absolutely DELICIOUS!

The way I eat it is going to be a daily meal for awhile!

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:21 pm

I grew a bunch of turnips this year. I'd never had them before, but they're the SHIT.
Chop em
Boil em
Melt some butter on em and sprinkle with salt and pepper
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Did anybody else carve jack-o-lanterns for Halloween and roast the pumpkin seeds in the oven with a little olive oil and salt?

I do that every year, and it's always delicious.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:31 pm
Did anybody else carve jack-o-lanterns for Halloween and roast the pumpkin seeds in the oven with a little olive oil and salt?

I do that every year, and it's always delicious.
I made some pumpkin pie last year from ones that I grew on my farm. Which is what I call my back yard. Anyways, I did some seeds with splenda and cinnamon, they were incredible.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:05 pm

Not that anyone needs a cole slaw recipe, but the Mark Bittman one is very good. No mayo.
Mainly cabbage and a bell pepper, mustard and a clove of garlic; scallions; lemon juice if it doesn’t hurt your stomach like it hurts mine.
Vegetable oil.
Whip out the shredding disk on that food processor.
So great.

This is the season where I stop buying lettuce, opting for the hardier vegetables.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:27 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:05 pm
Not that anyone needs a cole slaw recipe, but the Mark Bittman one is very good. No mayo.
Mainly cabbage and a bell pepper, mustard and a clove of garlic; scallions; lemon juice if it doesn’t hurt your stomach like it hurts mine.
Vegetable oil.
Whip out the shredding disk on that food processor.
So great.

This is the season where I stop buying lettuce, opting for the hardier vegetables.
Now this is a cole slaw that I could actually eat! I never have in the past because I hate mayonnaise and vinegar. Depends what kind of mustard you used, though. Hate yellow mustard but love brown mustard.

I do like apple cider vinegar. It's the other type of vinegar whose just smelling it will drive me out of the room!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Vinny, I used Coleman’s, which is a powdered yellow mustard. You mix it with an equal part water and it becomes very strong in 10 minutes.
No vinegar.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:05 pm
Me too! I eat salads so often during the summer when it's too hot to cook, then by the time winter comes along I'm sick to death of the stuff. Right now I'm having a love affair with chard and collards from my community garden plot.

With that in mind:

Garden greens a la WiseOne

Ingredients:
Big bag of washed greens, optimally from the garden or farmer's market, but grocery store ok too. Roll up and slice in ribbons, then cut across if smaller pieces are desired
Piece of smoked ham hock, pork neck bones, or whatever you can find at your grocery.
Chunk of duck fat, or reserved bacon fat
Splash of apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients into pot.
Slow cook for 4 hours (chard) or 8-10 hours (collards)
OR
Simmer on stovetop for 30 minutes (chard) or 1.5 - 2 hours (collards)
OR
Pressure cook 15 minutes (chard) or 30 minutes (collards), then let the pressure bleed off gradually

For chard, drain to get rid of the liquid (there's too much to cook down). For collards, bring to simmer and cook until liquid evaporates. Pick bits of meat off the pork bones and mix into the greens, then discard bone. Taste and correct seasonings.

Leftovers freeze very well. I put them into quart size ziploc freezer bags and press flat, then freeze.

This plus sausages or pulled pork make a wonderful dinner. Not sure if I've posted my pulled pork recipe with no sugar added, but it's super easy: buy a pork shoulder (preferably bone-in), make a spice rub of your choice, rub it on the pork, put it in the oven on a roasting pan with fat side up, and cook it at 200 degrees (or lowest oven setting) all day, to internal temperature of 180-190. I actually start this the night before so it's done by early afternoon. Take out of the oven, pour the fat into jars for future use, and let cool. Shred with 2 forks.

Freeze extra in ziploc bags. Serve with more spice rub & melted butter, flavored mayonnaise, or other sauce of choice. I guess if you're not into the keto/low carb/high fat thing you can smother it in bbq sauce instead. Just understand that those sauces are about half sugar. Honestly, they're the equivalent of pounding down a big gulp from 7/11.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:22 pm

WiseOne, you had me at duck fat. O0

Chard and collards, eh?
My favorite vegetable this season is daikon, aka the white winter radish.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:28 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:05 pm
I went into the local Korean market to buy some kimchi, which is usually made with Napa cabbage. They also had an option made with daikon radish which I had never seen before. I might try it next time, although I do love the Napa variety.
There’s a brand of kimchi sold in a glass jar called Mother-in-law’s O0 that usually uses Napa, but once i saw it with daikon. Once. It was fantastic. I wish they would offer it again.

Pork-daikon stew is very nice in winter.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Sounds yummy, dualstow. Post a recipe???