Wuhan, China Corona Virus 2020

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Wuhan, China Corona Virus 2020

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Yup, I guess so. Earlier I mentioned that “It would have to get massive, quickly...”

We’ve all seen too many zombie movies and films with government employees in HAZMAT suits. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 am

It is important to keep in mind facts about virus deaths vs. the current media sensational commentary (let's hope the current outbreak deaths remain relatively small).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm 6515 influenza deaths in the US in 2017

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/wuhan-co ... rs-deaths/ 41 fatalities so far, all in China

https://www.cdc.gov/sars/about/fs-sars.html 774 SARS deaths worldwide
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

Mountaineer, it's not like you to let a chance to mention the Book of Revelations and pale horsemen and that slide by the wayside.

Are you all right?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am
Mountaineer, it's not like you to let a chance to mention the Book of Revelations and pale horsemen and that slide by the wayside.

Are you all right?
"

Kriegs, thanks for your concern but I thought you knew me better. :) I'm not one of those "Left Behind" series of books Christians. I just go by what Scripture says and try not to speculate about what is not said. For example, see Matthew 24 or Mark 13 (and Rev 19 - mentioned to scratch Krieg's itch ;) ). Beware, there are lots of false prophets, including the idol of self, all sponsored by SATAN* out there vying for your allegiance. No one knows when the end will come, only the Father. Best advice is to be ready at all times for the Last Day; kind of like the philosophy of the PP - be ready no matter what. The choice is yours to believe that Jesus is "THE way, THE truth, and THE life" O0 or that it's all a big scam >:D [oops, should not have alluded to impeachment theatrics in a thread about matters of eternal significance].

* https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... en-of-2020
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 am

Komal Sri-Kumar (@SriKGlobal) just addressed people talking about this in the context of being a black swan, on cnbc. He said there are always five or so black swans floating around, waiting to happen, and that if the virus didn’t exist, it would be something else. Kim Jong-eun, etc. I guess he feels that the markets were/are ready to fall.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Possible coronavirus case at Philadelphia’s Penn Charter School, as travelers from China are urged to report any symptoms
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 00127.html
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm

We had a confirmed case here in Vancouver, BC as of yesterday. SO many Chinese people made the trip here for Chinese New Year. I'm sure there's going to be a massive flare up in the coming weeks. The really scary thing is the incubation period and the contagiousness when asymptomatic.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:25 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm
We had a confirmed case here in Vancouver, BC as of yesterday. SO many Chinese people made the trip here for Chinese New Year. I'm sure there's going to be a massive flare up in the coming weeks. The really scary thing is the incubation period and the contagiousness when asymptomatic.
Are you doing anything differently?
I'd probably be more reluctant to fly this season, but I have no travel plans anyway.
I plan to eat in Chinatown next week, although I don't know if my wife will join.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am

Corona Virus effect on the market: 1 day.

I know it's too early to really say that, but I wonder if anything can hold people's attention for more than 24 hours anymore.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:05 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am
Corona Virus effect on the market: 1 day.

I know it's too early to really say that, but I wonder if anything can hold people's attention for more than 24 hours anymore.
Ha. Not much.
Just a minute ago, though, while you were posting, cnbc announced that they're discussing travel restrictions in the White House.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:41 am

This current Wuhan coronavirus may be worse than I thought. This is a very interesting discussion on the topic. If you wish to jump straight to the main topic, it begins approximately 18 minutes in. As always, I am particularly interested in what WiseOne thinks about it (if you have the time or desire to listen to the podcast, WiseOne) in addition to everyone else.

"In episode ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY Wade and Mike invite Wisconsin Lutheran College’s disease expert, Dr. James Henkel, back onto the show. This is the second time Dr. Henkel has come onto the podcast. We invite you to listen to his previous visit way back on Episode 23, entitled The Guys Get Disease (and if you haven’t listened to that episode, do yourself the favor of giving it a listen, it’s a fun one). This time the guys talk viruses and pandemics."

https://www.letthebirdfly.com/2020/01/2 ... -go-viral/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Financial news headlines over the past few days:

Stock market drops: "Markets plummet on coronavirus fears"
Stock market rises: "Markets rally on hopes that coronavirus spread will subside"

::)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 pm

I've been getting regular updates from my medical center. I'll pass on anything interesting...so far it's just kind of "this is what to do if you see a patient who might have the virus" stuff.

No time today to plow through an 18 minute video, but...all depended on whether the virus can be transmitted person to person, and how easily it transmits. Measles and the flu are super-transmitters, so they're the paragons of epidemic-prone bugs. It looked to me, based on the reported cases, that if this virus is transmitted person to person, it doesn't do so all that readily. But, the incubation period is still in question....figured we'd have to wait a week or two to know for certain.

There has now been a confirmed case of human to human transmission, but this tells me two things. First, yes it can be transmitted to people in close contact (husband of a person who carried the disease back from China). But second, it is looking like it takes more than casual contact for transmission to occur. The person who returned from China was sitting on a plane with other passengers for hours, using the restroom, touching common areas like overhead bins, and then walking through airports etc. None of that has (so far) caused any new cases in the U.S.

So, we are not looking at a 1918-like pandemic, where all it took was walking down a street near a person incubating the virus to get you sick. Still don't know enough to judge severity other than that, though.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Financial news headlines over the past few days:

Stock market drops: "Markets plummet on coronavirus fears"
Stock market rises: "Markets rally on hopes that coronavirus spread will subside"

::)
O0
I prefer Markets shrug off coronavirus worries.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Does anyone have any good, credible information about the origin of this virus? I haven't had time to delve into this much at all, but I have seen a number of reports to the effect that (1) this is a mutated version of a virus that has been under study for some time, (2) that the Wuhan province where this virus first took hold is the home of two P4 laboratories dedicated to the study of biological weapons, (3) that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation owns the patent on a recombinant form of the virus and has been actively involved in research aimed at producing a related vaccine, and (4) that only a few months before this viral outbreak, a number of entities here in the U.S. were involved in staging a simulated pandemic in which this coronavirus was the responsible pathogen.

If this virus has, in fact, been under study, it would seem to be a simple thing to determine whether the form that is moving throughout China is a mutated variant. If it is, it should be simple enough to determine as a matter of statistical probability whether the specific alterations to the viral genome are random or engineered. Finally, it should be easy enough to determine whether the genetic sequence of this virus matches the one on which there is a patent. Strangely, I've seen no answers to these questions.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 pm

Horseshoe bats?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Regardless of the natural or engineered nature of this virus, am I the only one thinking that this would be a really good time for the powers-that-be to let some air out of the market? Not sure whether I want to try to frontrun a downturn by going all-cash for a while, but it's hard to ignore the fact that, this being an election year and all, a big fat scapegoat will be a hard thing for the puppet masters to pass up. I'll probably just sit tight, as the lessons learned in 2008 were painful ones and I'm sorely lacking in talent when it comes to this kind of thing.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm

Any genetics wonks out there that could help translate? WiseOne?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1 ... -bioweapon

This is just one excerpt out of a rather lengthy thread full of genetics-speak:

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
22. The authors dunked this final conclusion: “This uncanny similarity of novel inserts in the 2019- nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag is unlikely to be fortuitous”. Wow, they sure just went straight there!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 am

Everything in the world has its conspiracy theorists.

Viruses: Secretly created, accidentally or deliberately released, companies with vaccines already ready for the virus, etc is near the top of the list of conspiracies, book and movie plots, etc.

Maybe deliberate, maybe accidental, maybe just because of terribly unsanitary conditions.

Why does everything always start in China? Why not India, with nearly just as many people?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:33 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:57 am
Why does everything always start in China? Why not India, with nearly just as many people?
Sometimes it does.

Indonesia was also mentioned on the radio early this morning. As I remember, farmers cleared forest by slash and burn to plant mango trees. The smoke irritated bats, and the uprooted bats were attracted to the trees. The bats carried a virus and excreted it below, where it contaminated the farmers’ pigs. From there, it could spread to humans. I don’t know if this particular virus did. They didn’t name it.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 am

Everything in the world has its conspiracy theorists.
No need to talk about conspiracies. DNA recombinant technologies have been a fact of life since at least the mid-70s. That particular era comes to mind because it places me in my first or second year of college at a large university where highly-credentialed professors still lectured to auditoriums full of undergraduates. One particular day stands out for me. I was taking a survey-level biology course from a research professor who was all over the topic of DNA recombinance. He expressed quite emphatically his view that it was all but inevitable that at some point this technology would get out of control inasmuch as the techniques were so simple as to allow it to be done in a garage. I remember his exact words: "The cat's out of the bag." Scared the wits out of me as an 18- or 19-year-old. That was over 40 years ago.

Remember all that money that got pumped into "cancer research" during the '80s? They never did find a cure for cancer, but they got a whole boatload of advances in DNA recombinance while trying. DNA recombinance is now the focus of some of the most promising clinical research, it's the source of a renewed controversy over "designer babies" and eugenics, and major military funding is being directed toward laboratory-engineered bioweapons. Point is, this is anything but the stuff of science fiction.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:43 am

Except that not a lot of that was probably happening in Wuhan.

Sometimes these things happen. It's a virus that mutated just enough to jump from animals to people. That's how HIV got started - and again, the jungles of East Africa in the 1960s/1970s were not exactly a hotbed of DNA recombinant research.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:22 am

WiseOne, all this is way above my pay grade, but wouldn't it be a simple thing to determine, as a matter of statistical probability, whether the gene sequence is the result of random mutations or whether it is engineered? I'm not advancing any particular theory, but I am wondering why we don't have a definitive answer to this question.