The day we've dreaded (PortfolioVisualizer)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

The day we've dreaded

Post by ochotona »

You know, I might just let it go. It was and is highly instructuctive, but I just don't know if I need the tools every days at this point. After all, backtesting does not predict the future. I can always sign up from time to time to use the tools.

-------------------------------------

Dear Portfolio Visualizer User,

It has been over five years since we launched Portfolio Visualizer. Over this period, we have continuously focused on enhancing our platform functionality and usability based on user feedback. In 2020 we hope to launch several new features and we also plan to extend our market data coverage.

To better support our development efforts and data licensing requirements we plan to introduce optional paid subscription plans on our web-based platform later this month. We will provide some of the extended functionality currently available to registered users under the new subscription plans, while continuing to offer free access to most of our tools and features. As part of this transition we will automatically migrate your existing account to a trial plan with all functionality enabled when the new subscription plans become available. If you do not wish to sign up for a paid plan at the end of the trial, you can continue to use the basic set of features offered under the free tier without signing in. We expect to publish the available subscription plans and pricing information within a week.

We hope you continue to find our service valuable and will support us as we develop our platform further. Your feedback and suggestions for new features and improvements you would like to see on our platform are always welcome. You can contact us directly from our contact page or simply by replying to this email.

Sincerely,
The Portfolio Visualizer Team
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The day we've dreaded

Post by D1984 »

ochotona wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:56 pm You know, I might just let it go. It was and is highly instructuctive, but I just don't know if I need the tools every days at this point. After all, backtesting does not predict the future. I can always sign up from time to time to use the tools.

-------------------------------------

Dear Portfolio Visualizer User,

It has been over five years since we launched Portfolio Visualizer. Over this period, we have continuously focused on enhancing our platform functionality and usability based on user feedback. In 2020 we hope to launch several new features and we also plan to extend our market data coverage.

To better support our development efforts and data licensing requirements we plan to introduce optional paid subscription plans on our web-based platform later this month. We will provide some of the extended functionality currently available to registered users under the new subscription plans, while continuing to offer free access to most of our tools and features. As part of this transition we will automatically migrate your existing account to a trial plan with all functionality enabled when the new subscription plans become available. If you do not wish to sign up for a paid plan at the end of the trial, you can continue to use the basic set of features offered under the free tier without signing in. We expect to publish the available subscription plans and pricing information within a week.

We hope you continue to find our service valuable and will support us as we develop our platform further. Your feedback and suggestions for new features and improvements you would like to see on our platform are always welcome. You can contact us directly from our contact page or simply by replying to this email.

Sincerely,
The Portfolio Visualizer Team
A couple of things:

One, whether or not I pay for it will depend on the monthly charge. If it's reasonable I suspect many people will pay it; if not, then they will simply unsubscribe and PV won't be making the money they thought they would and will come to realize that half a loaf (plenty of continued memberships from people who might only be willing to pay $9 or $10 or $12 a month) is better than no loaf at all (most people leaving after the trial period because they don't think it's worth $30 or $40 or $50 a month). How much does ETFReplay charge per month?

Two, if they offer a free trial period to everyone even after the subscription plans come out then they will likely see a lot of people signing up (using a different email address and if a credit card is needed for the free trial to be billed after the trial is over, using a different credit card each time as well) and then canceling right before the free trial is over. I have done this myself countless times back when I used to subscribe to various services from StreetAuthority; they let you cancel before 90 days was up and get a full non-questions-asked refund so I'd wait 88 or 89 days and then cancel and then rinse and repeat. I never understood why anybody ever actually PAID for anything from them when all one had to do was keep canceling and asking for a refund to get it all for free.

Three, if the paid subscription service does include backtesting back before 1985 and does include actual daily index data that can be concatenated to mutual funds as well as daily hypothetical leveraged ETF data (for instance, right now if you want a simulated 3X daily NASDAQ back to, say, 1985 you have to do it yourself by using --and multiplying by 3X with the appropriate LIBOR or Treasury + a certain margin daily annualized rate--the QQQ proxy from GTR1 for most of 1985, then 3X the NDX100 from Yahoo--with dividends added--for October 1985 to mid-1994, then 3X RYOCX from mid-1994 to late-1997, the 1.5X UOPIX from Dec 1997 to mid-2006, then 1.5X QLD from mid-2006 to Feb 2010, then TQQQ from Feb 2010 to the present....and then put it all into a CSV file, upload it, and update it eevery month as the month ends. This is kind of a pain in the butt and they need to make things like this smooth and automatic if they plan on charging for access. Same goes for other indexes; they should have a simulated S&P 500 Index fund at least back to the early 1900s and LTTs back to at least the 1950s) then it may be worth paying for...at least until one gets the data one needs and can then unsubscribe until you have a new data set that needs testing.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

They've officially posted information on pricing. Thoughts?

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/pricing

(As I stealthily take notes on popular paid features that I can offer for free. >:D )
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tyler wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm They've officially posted information on pricing. Thoughts?

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/pricing

(As I stealthily take notes on popular paid features that I can offer for free. >:D )
My first thoughts when I started reading the original post above was that the reference was to your web site and all you offer! For all of us, luckily, that post is still to occur sometime in the future.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Meh.

Portfolio Charts is better anyway. :)
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

This topic might get more traffic if it had Portfolio Visualizer in the subject title.

You know, once a girl broke up with me by fax. It began, “This is the letter you’ve been dreading.” Horrible way to break up with a guy, but it was a title that made sense.

Here, it makes no sense, because it could mean anything. It could mean synthetic gold has become available and is cheaper than beer.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:35 am This topic might get more traffic if it had Portfolio Visualizer in the subject title.

You know, once a girl broke up with me by fax. It began, “This is the letter you’ve been dreading.” Horrible way to break up with a guy, but it was a title that made sense.

Here, it makes no sense, because it could mean anything. It could mean synthetic gold has become available and is cheaper than beer.
I've amended the thread title.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The day we've dreaded (PortfolioVisualizer)

Post by dualstow »

Many thanks 🙏
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.