At least this criminal is polite

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

At least this criminal is polite

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 am

"Career Criminal Thanks New York Democrats for Law Freeing Him After 139th Arrest"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ak-policy/

Not enough for you, WiseOne?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: At least this criminal is polite

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 am

LOL, the sober tone of the reporter and his quotes look like they're straight out of the Bee/Onion:
He’s up to 139 arrests — and he says he can’t be stopped.

Serial subway crook Charles Barry walked out of Manhattan Criminal Court early Saturday after his arraignment in his most recent arrest on Thursday afternoon.

He knew that except for having to spend about 36 hours in police custody, there were no immediate consequences to his alleged crimes, which include charges he snatched cash from people trying to use MetroCard machines.

“I’m famous! I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cracker! You can’t stop me!” Barry yelled to a Daily News reporter late Thursday night as police led him out of NYPD Transit District 1 headquarters in the Columbus Circle station.

“Bail reform, it’s lit!” Barry said. “It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me. You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!” link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:02 am

And I sincerely hope someone does.

It won't be long before more criminals like this guy realize they have free reign to do whatever they want, and the city's crime rate keeps increasing. 20% increase in January alone...and the pace may well pick up.

My neighborhood is still reasonably safe, but if that starts to change and if the city is really too liberal for serious grassroots opposition to form, then it may indeed be time to start planning an exit. On the plus side....a lot of people here are angry about this law. A LOT. I am hopeful that there are a lot of people out there who aren't willing to self-destruct in the name of liberal opinion.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:02 am
And I sincerely hope someone does.

It won't be long before more criminals like this guy realize they have free reign to do whatever they want, and the city's crime rate keeps increasing. 20% increase in January alone...and the pace may well pick up.

My neighborhood is still reasonably safe, but if that starts to change and if the city is really too liberal for serious grassroots opposition to form, then it may indeed be time to start planning an exit. On the plus side....a lot of people here are angry about this law. A LOT. I am hopeful that there are a lot of people out there who aren't willing to self-destruct in the name of liberal opinion.
If you wait until you are sure that it's hopeless, you won't be the first one to panic.
And you know the rule about that: "Don't panic... but if you do panic, panic first."
Otherwise the price for which you can sell your apartment is going to be a lot lower.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am

Good news - there are several challengers to AOC in the Democratic primary. All of whom are moderate/centrist Democrats who believe they represent the district much better than she does. Between the bail law and AOC's key role in driving away Amazon, her district is just about fed up. Also, she's done a lousy job of representing them, because she's spending much more time going after the national limelight. She doesn't even have an office in the district (just a shared desk) and has held no town meetings or anything of the sort.

Tech - you'll be glad to hear I just ordered a keychain pepper gel spray. It's often windy in my neighborhood so regular spray would probably not be such a good idea. Of course, I had to get it sent to a friend in another state because even though they're legal to carry in NY, you're not allowed to order them online. Naturally.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 am

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am
Good news - there are several challengers to AOC in the Democratic primary. All of whom are moderate/centrist Democrats who believe they represent the district much better than she does. Between the bail law and AOC's key role in driving away Amazon, her district is just about fed up. Also, she's done a lousy job of representing them, because she's spending much more time going after the national limelight. She doesn't even have an office in the district (just a shared desk) and has held no town meetings or anything of the sort.

Tech - you'll be glad to hear I just ordered a keychain pepper gel spray. It's often windy in my neighborhood so regular spray would probably not be such a good idea. Of course, I had to get it sent to a friend in another state because even though they're legal to carry in NY, you're not allowed to order them online. Naturally.
Getting rid of AOC, while an improvement in Congress, wouldn't make the NYS legislature reverse their insane "bail reform".
As for pepper gel spray, that also sounds like an improvement.
However, with a significant amount of luck, the Supremes may throw out NYC gun laws so you would be able to defend yourself properly. That would also put a dent in the joie de vivre of criminals like this guy.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:35 am

WiseOne, have you also considered carrying a flashlight? I've heard it can get dark in NYC, and they have not yet been outlawed. Something like this:

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Huh! How long would that disable an attacker? A couple minutes may not be enough time...calling 911 and having someone show up is at least 15 minutes. Could be at least 5-10 minutes to get completely out of the attacker's sight. Pepper spray would give me at least half an hour.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:30 pm

If you get them in the face it might put them down, but it mostly just hurts like fuck and would make someone let go of you better than tiny woman fists would >:D

I take it you were thinking of something to have at your house? I was thinking of something to have in your hand when you're walking down the street.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:44 pm

In hand when walking down the street. Thus the keychain, and the concern about using the thing in a strong wind situation.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:30 pm

Well, as I've always maintained, it never hurts to have various assorted weaponry on your person.
Simonjester wrote: Image para cord with a steel ball inside, a mini mace for you key chain..
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Good editorial on the bail issue in the WSJ
You know New York has a problem when even Mayor Bill de Blasio admits it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-no-bai ... 5#cxrecs_s
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 am

I installed the an app called "Citizen" on my iPhone - it's free, and shows you crime/police activity in your area, in real time. You can also allow it to send a notification of nearby new events.

It's super helpful to me. My immediate neighborhood shows clear, while nearby "hot spots" are riddled with reported activity. My walk to work takes me through an area with a medium level of activity, which is why I carry that pepper spray.

FWIW, it looks like the 20% NYC crime increase in January was followed by a much smaller increase (22% compared to a year ago) in February, so at least things aren't continuing to get worse. Hopefully it's just bad enough that the Democrats in Albany won't be able to continue ignoring the issue - especially in an election year. Or maybe I should hope that they will, so they'll end up getting voted out of office. We are in dire need of a Republican governor and legislature just now.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:36 am

I have that app, WiseOne, and it is evil. >:D I would like to delete it but it has a hold on me like the Ring had a hold on Bilbo.
I am too weak to destroy it.

Seriously, the one benefit I got from it was to change a walking route to avoid a massive fire.
• Since the info is pulled from 911 calls and not uploaded by app users, there is a minimum of fake reports. However, this also means that it is too late to warn you if some guy is wielding a knife in a nearby alley.
• You might want to avoid the comments section. Not helpful and very racist. However, you might enjoy all the “F DiBlasio and his policies” posts. I can’t imagine you won’t see a few of those.
• Even if the calls aren’t fake, there are a lot of warnings that later turn out to be unfounded. It’s a kind of passive fear mongering. A few weeks with this app, and you’re going to feel like crime is happening all around you. Well, it kind of is, but the reports amplify everything. You’ll see. It might be better not to know, imo.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:22 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 am

LOL, the sober tone of the reporter and his quotes look like they're straight out of the Bee/Onion:

He’s up to 139 arrests — and he says he can’t be stopped.

Serial subway crook Charles Barry walked out of Manhattan Criminal Court early Saturday after his arraignment in his most recent arrest on Thursday afternoon.

He knew that except for having to spend about 36 hours in police custody, there were no immediate consequences to his alleged crimes, which include charges he snatched cash from people trying to use MetroCard machines.

“I’m famous! I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cracker! You can’t stop me!” Barry yelled to a Daily News reporter late Thursday night as police led him out of NYPD Transit District 1 headquarters in the Columbus Circle station.

“Bail reform, it’s lit!” Barry said. “It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me. You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!” link

If one was a Republican running in NYC, you could use video clips of this as a campaign ad.

There was that famed Mayor of New York City 2020 fall election? But I'm assuming no one DID use the above in a campaign ad?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:28 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am

Rereading this reminded me that I did want to also own one of these.

Went to Amazon to buy this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pepper ... _item?th=1

But then I saw: '"This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."

I had been told by someone that you can also buy these at sporting goods stores.

I just now headed here to see if they carried them.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/

They do. But I was surprised that they seem to have the ability to ship one to me Why are they allowed to do so and Amazon is not?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:36 am

I have that app, WiseOne, and it is evil. >:D I would like to delete it but it has a hold on me like the Ring had a hold on Bilbo.
I am too weak to destroy it.

Seriously, the one benefit I got from it was to change a walking route to avoid a massive fire.
• Since the info is pulled from 911 calls and not uploaded by app users, there is a minimum of fake reports. However, this also means that it is too late to warn you if some guy is wielding a knife in a nearby alley.
• You might want to avoid the comments section. Not helpful and very racist. However, you might enjoy all the “F DiBlasio and his policies” posts. I can’t imagine you won’t see a few of those.
• Even if the calls aren’t fake, there are a lot of warnings that later turn out to be unfounded. It’s a kind of passive fear mongering. A few weeks with this app, and you’re going to feel like crime is happening all around you. Well, it kind of is, but the reports amplify everything. You’ll see. It might be better not to know, imo.

Just installed the app on my phone. Seems to be nothing going on in my neighborhood which should not be surprising given the low density of people in my area:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (405.14 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Why do I keep falling for these thread resurrections.
Vinny, you owe each of us a fiver O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Why do I keep falling for these thread resurrections.
Vinny, you owe each of us a fiver O0

I had subscribed to it as a reminder for me when I finally got back to it to:

1) Buy pepper spray
2) Install the app