Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
However, our bodies / selves are one of the few things in which we have a high degree of control over. And, I can testify that a healthy body enables one to do a lot of other things that unhealthy people are unable to do.

VInny

Good stewardship of God’s gift. :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X
Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.
I just started yesterday and I'm already on season 2. Send help! This is depression behaviour without the depression. :o

I used to have real depression. You know what was a friggin' miracle cure? Vitamin D. Changed my life.

On another note, I totally salute you and the work you're doing as a medical professional. You people are real heroes. Thanks, WiseOne!
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
Do you live near any playgrounds or parks? They often have bars that can be used for chin-ups and dips, which are both great upper-body exercises that can build some muscle. Not like heavy barbells, but at least it's something.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm
barrett wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Are you in Vancouver proper or somewhere else in the Lower Mainland? I used to work out that way a lot.

And no home workouts now that the gym is closed?
I'm about a 30 minute drive outside of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley area! Are you in the area too?

And yeah, I've put together a home workout plan, but there's no way any home workout can compare to real gym time, as I'm sure you're aware.

Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
I live in CT now but have spent a ton of time out your way. And I know most of the towns in the Fraser Valley.

I asked about home workouts because I am trying to keep fit while also staying away from a lot of people.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
Do you live near any playgrounds or parks? They often have bars that can be used for chin-ups and dips, which are both great upper-body exercises that can build some muscle. Not like heavy barbells, but at least it's something.
Get a dip belt and hang stuff on it for added resistance. I have had the Ironmind one for years now. You can also get their hip belt for belt squats (and also for everything the dip belt can do). I've never tried it but I have had it in mind since I hurt my back a while ago.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X
Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.
I'm not sure "re-deployed" should really be in quotes.
I'm afraid it will be like a MASH unit.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

barrett wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm I live in CT now but have spent a ton of time out your way. And I know most of the towns in the Fraser Valley.

I asked about home workouts because I am trying to keep fit while also staying away from a lot of people.

Yeah I've been trying to piece together something for myself along those lines. I posted this earlier.

Proposed Coronavirus home workout (no running or jumping due to knee issues.):

- 4 x 25 sit ups
- 4 x 25 ab roller reps
- 4 x 25 push ups
- 3 minute plank
- 2 x 30 second two point planks
- 100 squats
- 2 x 90 second side plank
- 30 reps leg raises
- 30 reps boxer crunches
- 2 x 30 bicycle crunches
- 4 x 25 tricep dips on a bench
- 2 x 25 lunges
- Chin ups/pull ups if I can find a bar

What I have so far. May add/modify as this whole thing progresses.
DITM
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm
Get a dip belt and hang stuff on it for added resistance. I have had the Ironmind one for years now. You can also get their hip belt for belt squats (and also for everything the dip belt can do). I've never tried it but I have had it in mind since I hurt my back a while ago.
It might be a good idea to go out and grab some basic equipment. Maybe what you've mentioned along with an ab roller and a new skipping rope. All I've really got at home is a yoga mat.
DITM
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

The 1957 pandemic struck in the golden age of antibiotics, but even then just 25% of the fatalities had viral pneumonia only; 75% of the deaths came from complications, generally bacterial pneumonia. Since then bacterial resistance has become a major problem in medicine. Today the mortality rate for a bacterial pneumonia following influenza is still roughly 7%, and in some parts of the US, 35% of pneumococcal infections are resistant to the antibiotic of choice. When staphylococcus aureus, a bacterium that has become particularly troubling in hospitals because of its resistance to antibiotics, is the secondary invader, the death rate -today- rises to as high as 42%. That is higher than the general death rate from bacterial pneumonias in 1918.
Barry, The Great Influenza
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Silly boys at the Bogleheads quaking over credit risk in TBM funds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

If they just held the PP they wouldn't have to waste all that time and energy.
DITM
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:50 pm Silly boys at the Bogleheads quaking over credit risk in TBM funds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

If they just held the PP they wouldn't have to waste all that time and energy.
But the PP is crazy. It has gold in it, and you can't eat gold!

Do they eat T-bills? I don't think that is even possible...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
However, our bodies / selves are one of the few things in which we have a high degree of control over. And, I can testify that a healthy body enables one to do a lot of other things that unhealthy people are unable to do.

VInny

Good stewardship of God’s gift. :)
100% agree!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Potential stock market closure? Now we're talking like WWI.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/16/ ... close-too/

Remember James Rickards' general idea about Ice-9? How you can't freeze or shut down one part of the markets without freezing everything?

The idea is that as soon as you freeze or backstop, say, money markets, the "pressure" in the system moves somewhere else. This next area might be bank accounts. Sooner or later it becomes the whole system.

There might be credibility to the whole thing...

I'm not gonna say James Rickards "called it." There's no way he could have seen the Coronavirus from like 2 years ago. (There's the whole stopped clocked thing, yeah.) He did say the whole system would collapse upon the next crash. We'll see if he's right.
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:04 pm Potential stock market closure? Now we're talking like WWI.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/16/ ... close-too/

Remember James Rickards' general idea about Ice-9? How you can't freeze or shut down one part of the markets without freezing everything?

The idea is that as soon as you freeze or backstop, say, money markets, the "pressure" in the system moves somewhere else. This next area might be bank accounts. Sooner or later it becomes the whole system.

There might be credibility to the whole thing...

I'm not gonna say James Rickards "called it." There's no way he could have seen the Coronavirus from like 2 years ago. (There's the whole stopped clocked thing, yeah.) He did say the whole system would collapse upon the next crash. We'll see if he's right.
United States NOT on the list!

https://www.businessinsider.com/history ... aks-2014-3

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Vinny
Interesting. Pretty confident it did shut down. I find it curious it's not on the list.

https://archive.org/stream/independen79 ... 4/mode/1up
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Vinny
Interesting. Pretty confident it did shut down. I find it curious it's not on the list.

I thought it had shut down the week of 9/11? And, for some time during World War II? But could not find either.

Vinny
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Vinny

I thought it had shut down the week of 9/11? And, for some time during World War II? But could not find either.

Vinny
The US stock market did shut down for the remainder of the week after 9/11 and reopened on the following Monday...where it promptly lost 7%

It also did shut down for a brief while during the first month/s of WWI but never did so during WWII. There were constant rumors in early 1942 that it was going to close, volume was even lower in many stocks than at the bottom of the Depression, the dividend yield on the predecessor to the S&P 500 went up to over 9% (since the underlying economy was doing fine but stock prices kept falling until the victory at Midway), and a seat on the New York Stock Exchange sold for a mere $17,000 compared to a peak price of $625,000 in 1929....but the market never did actually close.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

D1984 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Vinny

Vinny
The US stock market did shut down for the remainder of the week after 9/11 and reopened on the following Monday...where it promptly lost 7%

It also did shut down for a brief while during the first month/s of WWI but never did so during WWII. There were constant rumors in early 1942 that it was going to close, volume was even lower in many stocks than at the bottom of the Depression, the dividend yield on the predecessor to the S&P 500 went up to over 9% (since the underlying economy was doing fine but stock prices kept falling until the victory at Midway), and a seat on the New York Stock Exchange sold for a mere $17,000 compared to a peak price of $625,000 in 1929....but the market never did actually close.
I'm now reading in the book that the market closed in the 1870s for nine days to sort out after the disaster caused by all the railroad speculation.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

No matter how you slice it, we are living through some serious history right now, guys.
200319005151-05-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg
200319005151-05-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
200319004254-02-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg
200319004254-02-us-coronavirus-new-york-exlarge-169.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/03/18 ... 0219081731

Treasury Proposes to Guarantee Money Market Funds in Stimulus

Money market mutual funds, which have trillions in assets, could be essential if conditions worsen.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

from another thread
stuper1 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 pm Not to be alarmist, but if you haven't been out shopping for several days, you may be in for a surprise at how things are. I definitely wouldn't want to get very low on supplies right now. The stores I've been in generally have food available, but not always what you are looking for. We have a pretty full pantry at this point, and I intend to be out shopping more within a week so that we keep stocked up.

Again I'm not trying to scare you. It's just that it sounds like maybe you've been cooped up for several days and may not realize that things have gotten a bit weird at the stores. I imagine that if the virus case count were to rise much, that it could get even weirder.
Definitely no food shortage, but people are still stocking up on certain things. We weren't able to get bread, but found hot dog rolls.
A friend of mine braved Trader Joe's yesterday and said that they were fully stocked.
Supposedly morning is a good time to go, because that's after they've disinfected everything. Could also be a very crowded time, of course.
T.P. takes up a lot of space, which is the main reason stores can't stock it fast enough to satisfy serious hoarders.
🍍
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.
Michael McKean as Chuck
Michael McKean as Chuck
chuckfoil.png (185.98 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
🍍
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.

chuckfoil.png
BWAHAHAHA
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

And yes, in a liquidity squeeze, they widen the hole of one bottle neck... and soon find out where the next smallest hole is. I do not think they will shut the markets down though. I think what Trump said, cutting back trading hours, is more likely. Closing the markets altogether is the ultimate squeeze to liquidity... as liquidity doesn't exist if you cannot trade.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm Libertarian666 has written something about leaving mail outside for a day. I heard my mailperson coughing so I picked up our mail with a paper towel and then scrubbed. I should use tongs like Chuck does with electronics in Better Call Saul.

chuckfoil.png
Actually at this point I'm doing the following:
1. Not checking mail every day. (Fortunately I have that "informed delivery" service from the USPS so I can tell if there's anything significant coming.)
2. Throwing all junk mail into a trash bag while wearing gloves.
3. Setting all bill paying to paperless.