Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Astrophysicist hospitalized for getting four magnets stuck in his nose while making a coronavirus device

An Australian astrophysicist put himself in the hospital last week after he got four magnets stuck up his nose while trying to invent a device to stop people from touching their faces during this pandemic.
. . .
COVID-19 has been commonly spread by close personal contact, such as shaking hands followed by touching your face, or by touching an object or surface that contains the virus, and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands. So Dr. Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at a Melbourne university, told the Guardian that he came up with the bright idea to create something to stop face touching during “a bit of boredom in isolation.”
. . .
He explained that he put a magnet inside each of his nostrils, and then attached a magnet on the outside of each nostril — but once he removed the outer magnets, the two magnets inside his nose stuck together, and refused to come out.

So then he tried to use his remaining magnets to extract them, and ended up with all four in his nose.

“At this point I ran out of magnets,” he said. link

Sure... "Daniel."

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Coming to empty theaters near you....Nasal Attraction.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Tortoise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm We may be wearing Mask as new Normal if this goes on much longer.
Things certainly seem to be moving quickly in that direction:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ics-2020-3
The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
Doesn't that top circled group include China, where for sure they wear masks?
Yes they did were masks.
I am thinking that the virus was active for at least a month before the Public in China knew what was happening.
The Communist kept people in the dark, They seem to have even punished Doctors who were sounding the Alarm.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

shekels wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 am
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Tortoise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm We may be wearing Mask as new Normal if this goes on much longer.
Things certainly seem to be moving quickly in that direction:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ics-2020-3
The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
Doesn't that top circled group include China, where for sure they wear masks?
Yes they did were masks.
I am thinking that the virus was active for at least a month before the Public in China knew what was happening.
The Communist kept people in the dark, They seem to have even punished Doctors who were sounding the Alarm.
From what I have been following
The flattening of the curve does not stop the virus.
The lock down will delay when people get exposed and or sick.
When the lock downs are removed and people go back to work, then the 2nd wave could hit.
Now it may not be a big as the 1st but if anyone has it they can expose it to the 2nd wave.
This lock down is helping the Medical System from being even more overwhelmed.
So wear a mask or don't but sooner or later I think most ALL people will be exposed.
As for me and my family, I would rather it be later when Medical facilities are more caught up.
I would like to see a Antibody test for all very soon if possible, so we can get this figured out.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

shekels wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am From what I have been following
The flattening of the curve does not stop the virus.
The lock down will delay when people get exposed and or sick.
When the lock downs are removed and people go back to work, then the 2nd wave could hit.
Now it may not be a big as the 1st but if anyone has it they can expose it to the 2nd wave.
This lock down is helping the Medical System from being even more overwhelmed.
So wear a mask or don't but sooner or later I think we will ALL be exposed.
As for me and mt family, I would rather it be later when Medical facilities are more caught up.
I would like to see a Antibody test for all very soon if possible, so we can get this figured out.
So it's kind of like smart phones. The hip people in NY and the West Coast get them first, and the rest of us wait until they patch the bug before we get it. It hardly ever pays to be an early adopter.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Coronavirus update: 883,225 cases, 44,156 deaths, Americans urged to brace for two painful weeks

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coron ... bullytweet
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

What does it mean to be furloughed?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/success/ ... %3A57%3A01
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:52 am Isn't that a mixed bag? It means that people are positive for the virus but exhibiting no symptoms, which is good. Of course, if you don't know you have it, you are more likely to spread it, which is bad.

The death rate is waaay lower if the denominator of that equation is grossly under-calculated.
Agreed, it's a mixed bag. I was just surprised that virtually all patients coming into certain ERs in NYC have coronavirus whether they know it or not. Yes, the denominator of the equation is probably grossly underestimated and yes, the true death rate is probably much lower than currently estimated.

Interestingly, Iceland recently tested thousands of its citizens whether they showed Covid-19 symptoms or not, and of the ones who tested positive, half of them showed absolutely no symptoms. Those people would never even be tested for the virus here in the U.S.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:03 am I believe exactly nothing coming out of China.
Some groups in America are little better. Facebook just took down a Project Veritas video report about coronavirus, possibly because a CNN reporter called them and asked them about it.

Later in the video, he talks about how Media Matters, the group Vinny linked to in the other thread, is lying about when Greg Gutfield, on FOX news, started talking about coronavirus. "Media Matters is lying. They lie all the time. You know my favorite thing about Media Matters was? I had a video where I had a quote from the Star Tribune, a newspaper, an established newspaper in Minnesota. I read that quote, and they claimed I lied about what that quote was. And they even showed the image of what the quote was!" IIRC he's said that Media Matters also attributes quotes that he reads on his videos to him, instead of his source.

Anyways, it's all retarded, time to go play some videogames.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

The magnet story made me laugh. Hard.
:)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

rzy45ywzsnp41.jpg
rzy45ywzsnp41.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

ochotona wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm 'MURICA #1 !!! In the next day or so we will surpass China for infections!
<snip>
China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says

China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials.

The officials asked not to be identified because the report is secret, and they declined to detail its contents. But the thrust, they said, is that China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete. Two of the officials said the report concludes that China’s numbers are fake.link
Fucking people don't understand the meaning of "Secret."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:32 pm
ochotona wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm 'MURICA #1 !!! In the next day or so we will surpass China for infections!
<snip>
China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says

China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials.

The officials asked not to be identified because the report is secret, and they declined to detail its contents. But the thrust, they said, is that China’s public reporting on cases and deaths is intentionally incomplete. Two of the officials said the report concludes that China’s numbers are fake.link

Well that explains why we raced ahead. Fake goalpost. VP Pence says we're Italy. We're 5.5x bigger than Italy by population, so we're going to have a million cases, 100k-200k dead. Not hard math. I'm having lots of trouble sleeping or working (I'm working from home).
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Massive increases in federal aid are on the table here in Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4877371

These numbers aren't massive from the eyes of an American, but for Canada these are big numbers relative to the size of our country and economy.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

There is a free demo of Resident Evil 3 for the PS4 currently in the Playstation Store. A zombie game will be a great way to spend tonight's after work break given our pandemic circumstances.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.2 KiB) Viewed 10482 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

How Covid-19 could redefine labor in America

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/busi ... urce=twCNN
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

‘We’re on a suicide mission’: Jacobi Hospital nurse charges lack of coronavirus protective gear endangers health care workers’ lives

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus ... story.html
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Covid-19 Changed How the World Does Science, Together

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/worl ... timesworld
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

What made Blaine County Idaho’s coronavirus hot spot? Wealthy visitors and recreation

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/cor ... 48211.html
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm going to fancy a shot in the dark because I feel like it.

There will be continuous comings and goings of these kinds of shutdowns that happen in waves. COVID-19 will mutate uncontrollably and the next era of the stock market will be one of stagnation like 1966 to 1981. >:D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

This was a good find, Vinny. Have stickied that one. One thing that doesn't make sense to me though is how the mortality rates are being calculated. It seems to me that the only numbers that count for now are the number of people that have died and the number of people who have recovered within each state/country, etc. Then, after we start doing widespread antibody testing, those mortality rates can be adjusted way downward (one would hope).

On another note, could you please make your avatar smaller so that your posts don't take up so much space? Thanks.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just wanted to zoom out and make a 10,000 ft view post about how the PP is doing through this crisis versus 60/40.
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.22.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.22.28 AM.png (418.15 KiB) Viewed 10534 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

With ramped-up testing the best way to discover who has the virus and so learn what the fatality rate really is, the news from Abbott Laboratories couldn’t be better. The Food and Drug Administration gave emergency-use approval to Abbott’s new test, the fastest available at the point of care: It can deliver a positive result in five minutes and a negative result in under 15.

This test runs on a platform about the size of a small toaster and so can become a feature of small clinics and doctors’ offices, not just hospitals. Abbott expects to deliver 50,000 of these tests a day, starting this week. The FDA has OK’d a point-of-care test from the company Cepheid, too: It can return results in 45 minutes.

Even more promising are serology tests that can find antibodies in a finger-prick of blood — proving that you had COVID-19 even without any symptoms. That will make it easier to track contacts and clear some people to stop isolating. Biomerica has developed one that can deliver results in 10 minutes at a cost of $10; it’s already shipping kits to Europe but needs emergency-use Food and Drug Administration approval for US use. (Get going, FDA.) link
Good work nerds! I'd like a few of the Biomerica ones, please.