Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 am
I'm going to fancy a shot in the dark because I feel like it.

There will be continuous comings and goings of these kinds of shutdowns that happen in waves. COVID-19 will mutate uncontrollably and the next era of the stock market will be one of stagnation like 1966 to 1981. >:D

Hey, it was going to do that anyway, even without the virus!!!

And maybe another kind of repeat... stagflation. The supply chain (all kinds) is getting creamed, when demand comes back, things will get very tight. Also, US Dollar hitting highs, it won't grow to the sky, if / when it falls things will get more costly in US Dollar terms.

But maybe not in Gold terms. I know people here don't like TIPs, but I had some muni bonds in my taxable account, well they puked, so I tax-loss harvested MUB (because the outlook for cities isn't going to get better soon), and use the money to buy TIP. The TIP coupon is so low the taxes don't bother me. And it's a sovereign. And it's longish-term (10 years).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 am
.. a shot in the dark because I feel like it.

There will be continuous comings and goings of these kinds of shutdowns that happen in waves. COVID-19 will mutate uncontrollably and the next era of the stock market will be one of stagnation like 1966 to 1981. >:D
Hey, don't get too excited. A lot of gyms are going to fold, too.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:42 am
With ramped-up testing the best way to discover who has the virus and so learn what the fatality rate really is, the news from Abbott Laboratories couldn’t be better. The Food and Drug Administration gave emergency-use approval to Abbott’s new test, the fastest available at the point of care: It can deliver a positive result in five minutes and a negative result in under 15.

This test runs on a platform about the size of a small toaster and so can become a feature of small clinics and doctors’ offices, not just hospitals. Abbott expects to deliver 50,000 of these tests a day, starting this week. The FDA has OK’d a point-of-care test from the company Cepheid, too: It can return results in 45 minutes.

Even more promising are serology tests that can find antibodies in a finger-prick of blood — proving that you had COVID-19 even without any symptoms. That will make it easier to track contacts and clear some people to stop isolating. Biomerica has developed one that can deliver results in 10 minutes at a cost of $10; it’s already shipping kits to Europe but needs emergency-use Food and Drug Administration approval for US use. (Get going, FDA.) link
Good work nerds! I'd like a few of the Biomerica ones, please.
Same here. I have some reason to believe we are seropositive and would like confirmation so we can relax our precautions.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am

Mainstream news is reporting that New York hospitals will no longer be receiving patients in cardiac arrest. Paramedics are being instructed that if a patient cannot be revived in the field, they're to be treated as a goner. Another news article, describing the overloaded conditions at New York hospitals, stated that 50% of patients presenting in the ER are illegals. You come to your own conclusions; I've come to mine.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am
Mainstream news is reporting that New York hospitals will no longer be receiving patients in cardiac arrest. Paramedics are being instructed that if a patient cannot be revived in the field, they're to be treated as a goner. Another news article, describing the overloaded conditions at New York hospitals, stated that 50% of patients presenting in the ER are illegals. You come to your own conclusions; I've come to mine.
So it's just like the flu? :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm

It'll be 1,000,000 global cases before the day is done. One million.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Verizon is giving out some premium channels for free this month (April), hooray.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm
One million.

Couldn’t resist, sorry.
Last edited by Tortoise on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 pm
One million.
drevilresized.jpg
drevilresized.jpg (13.71 KiB) Viewed 10709 times
Couldn’t resist, sorry.
;D Thank heavens it isn't a fa-fillion.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

In a press release today, Georgia's governor stated that the reason he waited so long to issue a stay-at-home order is because he "just learned" that the new coronavirus can be transmitted by people before they start showing symptoms:

https://youtu.be/5W9mZRNZwVE

Wow... just wow. Welcome to 2020, governor!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:11 pm

Our company is extending our pay protection till at least June 1st now. There's associated pledge of no layoffs till at least then. Wow. Honestly that just blows me away.
dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 am
Hey, don't get too excited. A lot of gyms are going to fold, too.
I'll just use a chunk of my intact wealth (thanks to the PP of course ^-^ ) to hire some people to build my own gym at a recession discount! O0
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Yeah my CEO also just sent out an email earlier as well pledging no layoffs for 90 days.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 pm

I think I'm going to spring for the Ironmind hip squat belt, and rig up a strong rafter to hang my rings off in my garage. I've been scooped 2 times on craigslist trying to get an EZ bar and weights, but they come up all the time.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:25 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I think I'm going to spring for the Ironmind hip squat belt, and rig up a strong rafter to hang my rings off in my garage. I've been scooped 2 times on craigslist trying to get an EZ bar and weights, but they come up all the time.
That's a great idea. My only issue with the hip squat belt is the associated weights I would need to go with it. Since I can't drive, I'm not sure how i'd get any heavy equipment home.

I've been looking at maybe getting one of those chin-up bars that hangs from your door frame.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:25 pm

I've been looking at maybe getting one of those chin-up bars that hangs from your door frame.
The kind that hangs from the top, or the single bar that expands to fit the inside of the frame?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:02 pm

You know, I'm watching the White House presser, and they were talking about face coverings. Looking at what Dr. Birx is wearing, I remembered I still have a few shemaghs that I bought in Afghanistan. If they can filter out radioactive moon dust, I'll bet they can filter out some Wuhan.
21.png
21.png (446.42 KiB) Viewed 10676 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

The kind that hangs from the top, or the single bar that expands to fit the inside of the frame?
The one that hangs from the top. The expanding ones look like a really dicey proposition. :o

Still, even the hanging ones look like they put a lot of pressure on the door molding. I'm a heavier guy at 220 pounds too... so it's a tough call. Apparently scuffs on the drywall are a pretty common side effect too.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm
Still, even the hanging ones look like they put a lot of pressure on the door molding. I'm a heavier guy at 220 pounds too... so it's a tough call. Apparently scuffs on the drywall are a pretty common side effect too.
So there's an occasion that I would use a "u", but the Canadian does not. Interesting.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:25 pm
So there's an occasion that I would use a "u", but the Canadian does not. Interesting.
Channeling my inner American! Harry Browne lives in us all. :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:35 pm

I wonder how you write shemagh in Canadian.
If it weren’t for the context I would have guessed that was an Irish word, not Pashtun or whatever.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:35 pm
I wonder how you write shemagh in Canadian.
If it weren’t for the context I would have guessed that was an Irish word, not Pashtun or whatever.
I wonder if people pronounce it wrong is because it looks like an Irish word where 'agh' is pronounced 'lee' for some stupid reason, like a shillelagh, pronounced shi-LAY-lee. Shemagh in Arabic is شماغ where that last letter is pronounced like a g if you were getting strangled a little bit.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:51 pm

lol that reminds me of how to pronounce Saoirse Ronan.

It's pronounced 'sur-sha.' It rhymes with the word 'inertia.'
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:11 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

The one that hangs from the top. The expanding ones look like a really dicey proposition. :o

i have one of the hanging ones along with a set of rings that hang from it and a weight vest (all bought separately) i have never had a problem with mine but it does leave a mark on the jam..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:11 pm
i have one of the hanging ones along with a set of rings that hang from it and a weight vest (all bought separately) i have never had a problem with mine but it does leave a mark on the jam..
Hmmmm. A vote of confidence. Good to know. Might just order one on Amazon tonight.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 pm

ansd the first thing i saw when i finished posting the above ... was this email
If you're looking for a doorway mounted pull-up bar get one which is secured with a force couple which includes a brace that rests on top of the door frame or heavy duty brackets with 3in/7cm wood screws that go all the way through the frame into the studs.

Do not get a doorway pull-up bar that is held in place by friction alone!

Ideally, anything you intend to suspend yourself from or support yourself on should be rated to hold at least 150% your body weight.

When you hang motionless from a pull-up bar, it only has to resist the downward force of gravity pulling on your body.

To pull yourself up you must produce additional force to accelerate your body upwards, resulting in increased downward force on the bar (Newton's 3rd Law).

When using proper, strict pull-up and chin-up form:

transferring your weight from your legs to your arms gradually
lifting and lowering yourself slowly (at least a 4/4 cadence)
reversing direction smoothly

...the increase in force due to acceleration is relatively small, usually only a few percent. When using SuperSlow protocol (10/10) with proper turnaround technique the increase in force may be less than one percent.

However, if you jump up to grab the bar or do fast repetitions the greater acceleration can increase the downward force the bar must resist by a proportionally greater percent of your body weight. The greater the acceleration, the worse it gets (for both the bar and your joints).

It should go without saying you should never attempt any kipping or plyometric nonsense on a doorway-mounted pull-up bar (or any bar, for that matter). These provide no general advantage for increasing muscular strength, size, or power, or for metabolic conditioning over performing your repetitions slowly, or even statically.

If you have been following my blog or reading my books you know better than to move quickly during exercise, but it's still a good idea to err on the strong side when buying any kind of exercise equipment.

Also, before using any pull-up bar, carefully test it by gradually transferring your weight to the bar and just hanging from it for a while. If there is any indication it may not support your weight, throw it out and buy yourself a new one. A new pull-up bar costs much less than a trip to the ER.

A suspension trainer can be hung from a pull-up bar to perform compound rows and other bodyweight exercises but if you use a bar that is secured with a force couple you have to be careful about positioning. The suspension trainer should be pulling either down or towards the doorway and not away from it. If you pull away from the doorway the bar may come loose.

If you can't perform regular pull-ups or chin-ups in strict form for at least about 40-45 seconds, I teach you the most effective way to scale the difficulty precisely to your current strength level in Project Kratos and the 2019 Kratos and TSC Training Update Report, available in the Bodyweight HIT eBook Bundle.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence