Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 pm
ansd the first thing i saw when i finished posting the above ... was this email
ha!
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm
Shemagh in Arabic is شماغ where that last letter is pronounced like a g if you were getting strangled a little bit.
Ah, a guttural sound, probably.
I don’t want no hachen on my bread.
—Eddie Murphy
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

No, خ is the guttural one (make a K shape with your mouth, then say an H).

غ is closer to the sound most people make when they do the 'o' in Arnold Schwarzennegar's "get down!"
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:11 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:25 pm

I've been looking at maybe getting one of those chin-up bars that hangs from your door frame.
The kind that hangs from the top, or the single bar that expands to fit the inside of the frame?
The one that hangs from the top. The expanding ones look like a really dicey proposition. :o

Still, even the hanging ones look like they put a lot of pressure on the door molding. I'm a heavier guy at 220 pounds too... so it's a tough call. Apparently scuffs on the drywall are a pretty common side effect too.
i have one of the hanging ones along with a set of rings that hang from it and a weight vest (all bought separately) i have never had a problem with mine but it does leave a mark on the jam..
I have to ask those who have such a thing how many of them can you do?!!

I have one in the doorway outside this bedroom. I've always been an extremely low upper body strength person.

Pull ups are the ones that your palms are facing outward and chin-ups are the (easier) one where your palms face you?

Just prior to writing this I walked over to mine. The former is completely out of the question for me as I never can do any of those. Last time I tried I could not even get off the ground for even one of the latter. I surprised myself by easily doing one (!). But arms got completely exhausted from just that one.

My three time a week free weight barbells exercises are: squat, bench press, military press, dead lift, arm curls. Also do 100 (moderately difficult) push ups (over 10 minutes). Yet none of that seems to develop any upper body strength to allow me to do more than one (!) chinup!!??

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Well, yea, none of that would help you do chinups... Try doing negatives until you can do one, then build up from there. Do some rows with that barbell you have, too.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:39 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 pm
ansd the first thing i saw when i finished posting the above ... was this email
If you're looking for a doorway mounted pull-up bar get one which is secured with a force couple which includes a brace that rests on top of the door frame or heavy duty brackets with 3in/7cm wood screws that go all the way through the frame into the studs.

Do not get a doorway pull-up bar that is held in place by friction alone!

Ideally, anything you intend to suspend yourself from or support yourself on should be rated to hold at least 150% your body weight.

When you hang motionless from a pull-up bar, it only has to resist the downward force of gravity pulling on your body.

To pull yourself up you must produce additional force to accelerate your body upwards, resulting in increased downward force on the bar (Newton's 3rd Law).

When using proper, strict pull-up and chin-up form:

transferring your weight from your legs to your arms gradually
lifting and lowering yourself slowly (at least a 4/4 cadence)
reversing direction smoothly

...the increase in force due to acceleration is relatively small, usually only a few percent. When using SuperSlow protocol (10/10) with proper turnaround technique the increase in force may be less than one percent.

However, if you jump up to grab the bar or do fast repetitions the greater acceleration can increase the downward force the bar must resist by a proportionally greater percent of your body weight. The greater the acceleration, the worse it gets (for both the bar and your joints).

It should go without saying you should never attempt any kipping or plyometric nonsense on a doorway-mounted pull-up bar (or any bar, for that matter). These provide no general advantage for increasing muscular strength, size, or power, or for metabolic conditioning over performing your repetitions slowly, or even statically.

If you have been following my blog or reading my books you know better than to move quickly during exercise, but it's still a good idea to err on the strong side when buying any kind of exercise equipment.

Also, before using any pull-up bar, carefully test it by gradually transferring your weight to the bar and just hanging from it for a while. If there is any indication it may not support your weight, throw it out and buy yourself a new one. A new pull-up bar costs much less than a trip to the ER.

A suspension trainer can be hung from a pull-up bar to perform compound rows and other bodyweight exercises but if you use a bar that is secured with a force couple you have to be careful about positioning. The suspension trainer should be pulling either down or towards the doorway and not away from it. If you pull away from the doorway the bar may come loose.

If you can't perform regular pull-ups or chin-ups in strict form for at least about 40-45 seconds, I teach you the most effective way to scale the difficulty precisely to your current strength level in Project Kratos and the 2019 Kratos and TSC Training Update Report, available in the Bodyweight HIT eBook Bundle.
I just read the above twice (even though the print was super tiny as you presented it. Much easier to read while I'm now quoting it.

Mine is one of those where you twist something at one or both ends (it's been so long since I installed it (25 years ago?) until it's fitting tightly.

This morning I weighed 151.6 so probably not going to be an issue (worrying about the bar holding) for someone of my size.

I just stand there, reach up to grab the bar, let my body then fall as low as I can be, bend my legs so that they are totally off the ground, and then pull.

I just went over there to see what I actually did so I could write the previous sentence. And, shocked myself by being able to easily do yet another one (!) but then, again, had nothing left in the arms to move an inch.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

غ is closer to the sound most people make when they do the 'o' in Arnold Schwarzennegar's "get down!"
Huh. I wonder what in the world that is. Velar fricative something-or-other? Anyway, neat. You speak Arabic?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Huh. I wonder what in the world that is. Velar fricative something-or-other? Anyway, neat.
LOL bro, are you talking about space travel?
You speak Arabic?
I did 2 years of Arabic in college, it seemed smart at the time.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 pm
l82start wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

I've been looking at maybe getting one of those chin-up bars that hangs from your door frame.
The kind that hangs from the top, or the single bar that expands to fit the inside of the frame?
The one that hangs from the top. The expanding ones look like a really dicey proposition. :o

Still, even the hanging ones look like they put a lot of pressure on the door molding. I'm a heavier guy at 220 pounds too... so it's a tough call. Apparently scuffs on the drywall are a pretty common side effect too.
i have one of the hanging ones along with a set of rings that hang from it and a weight vest (all bought separately) i have never had a problem with mine but it does leave a mark on the jam..

I have one in the doorway outside this bedroom. I've always been an extremely low upper body strength person.

Pull ups are the ones that your palms are facing outward and chin-ups are the (easier) one where your palms face you?

Just prior to writing this I walked over to mine. The former is completely out of the question for me as I never can do any of those. Last time I tried I could not even get off the ground for even one of the latter. I surprised myself by easily doing one (!). But arms got completely exhausted from just that one.

My three time a week free weight barbells exercises are: squat, bench press, military press, dead lift, arm curls. Also do 100 (moderately difficult) push ups (over 10 minutes). Yet none of that seems to develop any upper body strength to allow me to do more than one (!) chinup!!??

Vinny
i am doing HIT (slow cadence 7x7) so only a few, and it depends on where in the upper body line up i place them. I do pull-ups, row, and push ups all at the 7 seconds up 7 seconds down cadence, and I go till momentary muscle failure, i also do squat and heal lifts, this work out takes about 15 min total and going to momentary muscle failure works you out hard enough that one or two work outs per week is enough... 3.5 to 7 days is actually needed for true recovery and allowing the body to build.. the email i posted is from drew bey, i follow his project kratos body-weight HIT program, he is well worth checking out.. also for the deep divers the scientific medical rational for this type of workout is explained by Dr Doug McGuffe in this book https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Res ... 0071597174
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 pm
l82start wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

Vinny
i am doing HIT (slow cadence 7x7) so only a few, and it depends on where in the upper body line up i place them. I do pull-ups, row, and push ups all at the 7 seconds up 7 seconds down cadence, and I go till momentary muscle failure, i also do squat and heal lifts, this work out takes about 15 min total and going to momentary muscle failure works you out hard enough that one or two work outs per week is enough... 3.5 to 7 days is actually needed for true recovery and allowing the body to build.. the email i posted is from drew bey, i follow his project kratos body-weight HIT program, he is well worth checking out.. also for the deep divers the scientific medical rational for this type of workout is explained by Dr Doug McGuffe in this book https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Res ... 0071597174
Thanks for the quick, thorough response!

I just went here: https://baye.com/ and gave it a quick glance up and down. Will spend more time at it, hopefully soon.

For my free weight barbell program this is the only program I have been following for the past nine years: https://startingstrength.com/about/mark-rippetoe

I've just been maintaining my "Starting Strength" for all those nine years, which at my age is probably an achievement in itself since the potential muscle mass in my age range goes down every year (as does everyone else's past the age of 25? But for my age rate at a faster rate.).

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 am

Good morning yinz, Pittsburgh has saved mankind:
“These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” said co-senior author Dr. Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine. “We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”
link
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 am

Coronavirus Costs Trump Businesses $1 Million per Day; Net Worth Falls $1 Billion

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2020/ ... 1-billion/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:03 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 am
Good morning yinz
O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am

U.S. exported millions in masks and ventilators ahead of the coronavirus crisis

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/inv ... 109747002/
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 am

Vinny, when you post a link to source that requires a subscription, it would be helpful if you would excerpt the relevant information.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 am
Vinny, when you post a link to source that requires a subscription, it would be helpful if you would excerpt the relevant information.
Which specific one required that? And, many of them have dropped their paywalls for any articles related to this virus.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am

Why a Coronavirus Test Result Takes Two Weeks or More

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-a-coro ... 1585915201

I cannot read the above as it looks like the Wall Street Journal has kept up their paywall for everything, including virus related articles.

How many here ARE able to read the article via having a subscription? Just curious as to how many here maintain a Wall Street Journal subscription.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:56 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:03 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 am
Good morning yinz
O0
Yep. Learned a new "word" today.
Now you know how to speak "Kreigs". 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:10 am

Now THIS is serious....especially for Kriegspiel!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business ... index.html
Production of Corona beer is being temporarily suspended in Mexico because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Grupo Modelo, the company that makes the beer, posted the announcement on Twitter, stating that it's halting production and marketing of its beer because the Mexican government has shuttered non-essential businesses.
Emphasis mine.

Thank heavens liquor has been considered "essential" here in the U.S. What the heck is Mexico thinking? Here come more illegal immigrants and I wouldn't blame them!
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 am

The data from New York is showing that only 1.8 percent of CV-19 deaths did NOT involve a serious co-morbidity. https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/commen ... york_city/

And for this the entire world economy has been shut down?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:29 am

So what if the hospitals are overwhelmed? So what if there aren't enough ventilators for the small, overwhelmingly co-morbid population who needs them, when we know that as many as 98 percent of those who end up on vents are going to die anyway?

Why do the powers-that-be continue to pretend that medical resources are not already being rationed--and in favor of a co-morbid population who is not only unlikely to survive but whose vulnerabilities were quite often the result of lifestyle choices?

The hospitals have already closed their doors (at least in this region) to anything other than respiratory cases, and in New York even cardiac arrest patients are being denied entry unless they can be rescussitated in the field. Even where facilities remain open, how many people are going to be deterred from seeking treatment for non-CoVid-related conditions when virtually every facility has been turned into a hotbed of contagion? Who's howling about all the non-CoVid emergencies (or emergencies in the making) who can't find so much as a doctor's office with the doors open? Is anybody keeping mortality statistics on that? I didn't think so.

I'll bet you dollar to donuts that this C*******F**** will spawn a new generation of medical ethicists who will bloviate on the public dime for the next ten years about how "in hindsight" we should have approached the issue of health care rationing in a more forthright and intentional way.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 am
This is the part that always angers me, not just in the CV world. Why don't people who smoke or are morbidly obese pay more for health insurance?
Do they not? Every time I've applied for health insurance, the insurance company wants to know about all kinds of things like that. Life insurance too.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:21 am

MangoMan wrote:
This is the part that always angers me, not just in the CV world. Why don't people who smoke or are morbidly obese pay more for health insurance?
My employer self-insures and provides a discount on insurance and a financial incentive for avoiding several risk factors which include tobacco use and obesity.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:25 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:22 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:21 am
MangoMan wrote:
My employer self-insures and provides a discount on insurance and a financial incentive for avoiding several risk factors which include tobacco use and obesity.
Is that the exception or the rule with big corporations?
I don't know except that we are not on the cutting edge of anything ever, so they must have gotten the idea from somewhere.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:39 am

MangoMan wrote:
In addition to the other replies: smokers at least pay heavy excise taxes.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:46 am

To all of you, what would you have had the government do? Seriously, give me something here that wouldn't have caused hysteria and panic regardless.

Tell those with higher risk to stay at home, the rest go about their lives? Hell, 40% of the country is obese! How many have diabetes?

There are so many back seat drivers on this issue, like Denninger, who can spout how shit should have been done from the glory of his house, but how do you do that governing 350 million people?

So, let me hear your plan, how you would have navigated the last 4 weeks and the coming 4 weeks. And not be crucified by one or another part of the country.