Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 am

^-^

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 am

A girl can't be too careful out here, Pug and Kriegs. It's when I start talking to him that you need to worry.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 am

Just heard another great quote to memorize that I just heard on C-Span from the Police Chief of Buffalo.

"The virus does not move on its own. It takes people to move the virus!"

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 am

Right, it's so simple and common-sense, it makes all those people saying "the virus doesn't obey borders" sound like real dumbasses.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 am
Right, it's so simple and common-sense, it makes all those people saying "the virus doesn't obey borders" sound like real dumbasses.
And, it qualifies as being one of those highly sought "sound bites", it can fit on a bumper sticker. In other words, it can be understood by the majority of Americans!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:09 am

How about it takes a virus to raze a village
???
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:11 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:09 am
How about it takes a virus to raze a village
???
Like it! But it's more descriptive than proscriptive...

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 am

Stocks rebounding? I'm thinking this is a dead cat bounce of some kind, but it's hard to know for sure.

The market seems to be pricing in a best case scenario in terms of the overall economic fallout of this pandemic.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Some good news

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:13 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
Connie Willis, the Doomsday Book.
I am about 25% through the book. Great book so far. Some parallels are pretty spot on. And thankfully we live now vs. the 1300s!

Considering it was written in 1992 and set in 2054, the only major item that feels strange is the lack of mobile phones. Everyone was still hampered by having to use a landline in the book.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

From the NY press conference today, the purple line is where the actual numbers are. Cuomo is talking it down.

There are definitely times I think people don't want to hear positive news...

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:25 am

Japan's Abe to declare state of emergency.
https://youtu.be/0rG2rz2HMdc
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am
There are definitely times I think people don't want to hear positive news...
Rational people working themselves into a frenzy over worst-case scenarios while not just ignoring but attacking any positive news (see the bile being spewed over real-world hydroxychloroquine results) has been one of the most interesting phenomenons I've witnessed in the past few weeks. Psychiatrists could write entire volumes on what's going on right now.

Take care of yourselves. Not only physically but also mentally.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:10 pm

More potential good news:

US scientists link BCG vaccination with fewer coronavirus cases

Long story short, countries that still regularly vaccinate for tuberculosis seem to have much lower death rates than those that do not. They're testing that theory now, and if it holds up to scrutiny the TB vaccine could be widely distributed relatively quickly since it has been around forever.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 am
My view of the census: It'll be a cold day in Hell before I volunteer information about my household's demographics given the very real possibility of civil unrest.
Are census data for specific addresses public record? I.e., anyone can search census data to find out how many people live at a specific address, and what their gender and race is?

Or are the data accessible only by census officials, but the concern is that it could potentially be leaked to the public?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Maddy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 am
My view of the census: It'll be a cold day in Hell before I volunteer information about my household's demographics given the very real possibility of civil unrest.
Are census data for specific addresses public record? I.e., anyone can search census data to find out how many people live at a specific address, and what their gender and race is?

Or are the data accessible only by census officials, but the concern is that it could potentially be leaked to the public?

Census data and forms are eventually made public, but not for a very long time. They only recently made all the info collected in 1940 available. I browsed some of it looking for ancestors. It was fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:42 pm

Same here. I found the street my mother grew up on and reported the details to her. It was fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Coronavirus Hits Meat Plants as Some Workers Get Sick, Others Stay Home
Beef, chicken and pork operations are affected in several states, though overall U.S. meat supply has been high

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronaviru ... 1586196511

Put the raw beef tataki on hold for now, then. (obligatory emoji to annoy Xan 🍖)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:19 pm
Coronavirus Hits Meat Plants as Some Workers Get Sick, Others Stay Home
Beef, chicken and pork operations are affected in several states, though overall U.S. meat supply has been high

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronaviru ... 1586196511

Put the raw beef tataki on hold for now, then. (obligatory emoji to annoy Xan 🍖)
“We’ve got plenty of animal protein in the U.S., more than we can consume,” said Mr. Steiner.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED MOTHERFUCKER
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Just returned from my daily walk, and in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood I saw a police parking enforcement golf cart. You know, the kind that drives all day through neighborhoods and issues citations for literally every parking violation, no matter how minor.

Glad to see an "essential business" still able to collect revenue during this crisis!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm
Just returned from my daily walk, and in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood I saw a police parking enforcement golf cart. You know, the kind that drives all day through neighborhoods and issues citations for literally every parking violation, no matter how minor.

Glad to see an "essential business" still able to collect revenue during this crisis!
Never have seen one of those.

When the Police Chief of Buffalo was being interviewed on C-Span this morning he said crime was way down. And, one of the reasons was because the police have stopped initiating. Not stopping drivers for traffic violations so no longer undercovering the secondary crimes that get uncovered during a traffic stop.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Tortoise wrote:
I think they're far more common in densely populated urban and suburban neighborhoods -- where the revenue generated exceeds the parking enforcer's hourly wage and thereby makes it a profitable activity for the city.

I recall you said you live in a sparsely populated rural area, so I wouldn't expect to see one in your neck of the woods.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:46 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Tortoise wrote:
I think they're far more common in densely populated urban and suburban neighborhoods -- where the revenue generated exceeds the parking enforcer's hourly wage and thereby makes it a profitable activity for the city.

I recall you said you live in a sparsely populated rural area, so I wouldn't expect to see one in your neck of the woods.
We do have parking meters in the city where I work. And, they do have someone walking around handing out tickets. I once wrote a letter to my local newspaper describing what I'd witnessed. I was walking back to my car early one morning and saw a ticket being handed out to the only other car that was parked on the street. I asked what kind of image that gave the city do show no common sense in giving out a ticket under those circumstances. It got published.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Tracking Public Opinion on the Coronavirus

https://morningconsult.com/form/trackin ... kifQ%3D%3D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:05 pm

How a Ship’s Coronavirus Outbreak Became a Moral Crisis for the Military

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/p ... ticleShare

"In a profanity-laced reprimand, the acting Navy secretary criticized sailors aboard the Theodore Roosevelt for cheering their fired captain, who had requested more assistance to fight the infection."

"When his 15-minute speech was over, signing off with a tepid “Go Navy,” Mr. Modly had effectively drawn an invisible line between him and the more than 4,800 crew members of the Roosevelt, one crew member said. This sailor added that many of the crew thought Mr. Modly had called them stupid for putting so much faith in their commanding officer. After Mr. Modly’s speech, junior sailors approached the crew member, he said, looking to leave the service after their first enlistment.

Mr. Modly did not tour the ship, and practically no one, especially those in the lower ranks, even saw him. He was gone in less than 30 minutes."