Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am

That looks like the kind of fake news propagated by Smith.
I’m totally kidding, Smithers. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am

Maddy I thought you were single too!

I can understand why you are concerned about civil unrest, but...what's the connection to the census?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:05 pm
How a Ship’s Coronavirus Outbreak Became a Moral Crisis for the Military

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/p ... ticleShare

"In a profanity-laced reprimand, the acting Navy secretary criticized sailors aboard the Theodore Roosevelt for cheering their fired captain, who had requested more assistance to fight the infection."

"When his 15-minute speech was over, signing off with a tepid “Go Navy,” Mr. Modly had effectively drawn an invisible line between him and the more than 4,800 crew members of the Roosevelt, one crew member said. This sailor added that many of the crew thought Mr. Modly had called them stupid for putting so much faith in their commanding officer. After Mr. Modly’s speech, junior sailors approached the crew member, he said, looking to leave the service after their first enlistment.

Mr. Modly did not tour the ship, and practically no one, especially those in the lower ranks, even saw him. He was gone in less than 30 minutes."
Vinny, the NYT site had about 5:26 of whatever the total length was. I listened to it. The worst profanity in it was "crap," and I agreed with everything the guy said. If the NYT wanted to push the "profanity" laced angle, they should have clipped in whatever part that was, because what I heard sounded like a pretty damn good speech.

I would at this point have to give a big thumbs down to the NYT using that headline
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:28 am

I’m not positive but I think Maddy’s saying she is single and the boots on the front porch are a bad guy deterrent, as is the marine husband persona.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:36 am

It sounds like a violation of protocol by the captain, for sending a letter outside the usual channels. I'd get in trouble if I did that too, and I'm at a university not in the military! And, the usual let's-find-a-way-to-blame-it-on-Trump is getting so tiresome. But, I don't get why they didn't just rebuke the captain and arrange some kind of hearing AFTER this is all over....taking him off the ship now is pure idiocy. He'll just bring the virus with him and infect whoever he comes in contact with. Has the Navy forgotten the meaning of the word "quarantine"?

I don't get why no one understands that this is a cruise ship situation, and the Navy should know the drill by now. Everyone on board is going to get exposed and likely has already, and the goal now is to avoid spreading it off the ship. The captain should have isolated the sick and kept the rest on lockdown as much as possible. The one major difference: unlike the case with cruise ships, this is a young and healthy population, and very few (if any) will get seriously ill.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am

I can understand why you are concerned about civil unrest, but...what's the connection to the census?
Now you guys have me feeling really bad. It was all in jest.

Answering census questions about the number of people living in your home, as well as their ages and genders, strikes me as downright dangerous for a woman living alone in the woods. Absolutely nothing is confidential these days. I go to great lengths to make sure that nobody--save very close, trusted friends--knows my situation. Hence the combat boots and the 223 casings.

Of course, in a few years I'll be old enough to be known as that crazy old lady with a rocking chair and shotgun, so at that point I may adopt a different strategy!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm
I didn’t figure it out until you said,later, don’t worry about me til I start talking to him. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
vnatale wrote:

"In a profanity-laced reprimand, the acting Navy secretary criticized sailors aboard the Theodore Roosevelt for cheering their fired captain, who had requested more assistance to fight the infection."

"When his 15-minute speech was over, signing off with a tepid “Go Navy,” Mr. Modly had effectively drawn an invisible line between him and the more than 4,800 crew members of the Roosevelt, one crew member said. This sailor added that many of the crew thought Mr. Modly had called them stupid for putting so much faith in their commanding officer. After Mr. Modly’s speech, junior sailors approached the crew member, he said, looking to leave the service after their first enlistment.

Mr. Modly did not tour the ship, and practically no one, especially those in the lower ranks, even saw him. He was gone in less than 30 minutes."
Vinny, the NYT site had about 5:26 of whatever the total length was. I listened to it. The worst profanity in it was "crap," and I agreed with everything the guy said. If the NYT wanted to push the "profanity" laced angle, they should have clipped in whatever part that was, because what I heard sounded like a pretty damn good speech.

I would at this point have to give a big thumbs down to the NYT using that headline
Then that was a clean part. Had the f word. Ass, which might not qualify for some as organic I suppose laced does mean small amount, so profanity laced might be technically accurate, but seems not really needed in the headline.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... omas-modly

And shifts the blame to China (part of the problem, yes).
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 am
It is (arguably) better that SJW types have switched from being improper grammar-Nazis, "OMG, did you hear that guy call Fern a 'she' when Fern prefers 'they' since they is non-gender identified?! I'm gonna call him a white nationalist on Twitter!"

to being public health-Nazis with their social distancing obsession, "OMG did you see how close they were standing?! They could kill somebody! I'm gonna take a picture and put it on Twitter!"
"If you've observed recurring violations of the Safer At Home order, please continue to let us know at [website]. You know the old expression about snitches... Well, in this case, snitches get rewards. We want to thank you for turning folks in and making sure we are all safe."
- LA mayor

I retract my statement.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Dieter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Then that was a clean part. Had the f word. Ass, which might not qualify for some as organic I suppose laced does mean small amount, so profanity laced might be technically accurate, but seems not really needed in the headline.
Sailors swearing? Oh my.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:49 pm
Dieter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Sailors swearing? Oh my.
Agree. I was responding to the statement that there wasn't any.

[And it was the acting Navy Secretary, as well as a sailor, to do the cussing. Former sailor. Talking to sailors. Don't really care that he cussed.]
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Can't tell ones spouse what to do..

CNN: A mayor ordered police to crack down on social gatherings. They found his wife at a bar.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/us/illin ... index.html
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 pm

"Aren't you concerned your wife was out at a party?"
"Of course not, turns out my wife's boyfriend was there keeping an eye on her."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Dieter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:36 pm
Can't tell ones spouse what to do..

CNN: A mayor ordered police to crack down on social gatherings. They found his wife at a bar.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/us/illin ... index.html
The mayor:
“I instructed the Police Chief to treat her as he would any citizen violating the 'Stay At Home' order and to ensure that she received no special treatment," Walker's statement read.
The article says they reached out to the wife for further comments.
Probably profanity-laced. Enough to make a sailor blush. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Looks like he and some other people thought it was a big deal: https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... lt-captain

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly Resigns

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm
WiseOne wrote:

Answering census questions about the number of people living in your home, as well as their ages and genders, strikes me as downright dangerous for a woman living alone in the woods. Absolutely nothing is confidential these days. I go to great lengths to make sure that nobody--save very close, trusted friends--knows my situation. Hence the combat boots and the 223 casings.

Of course, in a few years I'll be old enough to be known as that crazy old lady with a rocking chair and shotgun, so at that point I may adopt a different strategy!
I cannot believe that Mr. Literal / Mr. Non-Figurative knew that right away while others did not!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am

Epidemiologist: Flattening the curve makes no sense; CV-19 could be "exterminated" if lockdowns were lifted, the vulnerable protected, and the virus allowed to create herd immunity.

https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/epidemiolog ... ns-lifted/
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:00 am

What I think we are all finding is that you can find whatever theory or explanation or conspiracy you want related to this virus.

For example, just talked with a guy this morning who reported that some news sites are saying the CV death count numbers are overstated, that any co-morbidity with CV is listed as CV.

But I was also immediate able to find a NYT article saying that CV is being undercounted.

Everyone is an expert on this virus it seems. Criticizing or praising the government response.

I've taken a couple days off from non-stop reading and listening to news and it has been refreshing.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am
Epidemiologist: Flattening the curve makes no sense; CV-19 could be "exterminated" if lockdowns were lifted, the vulnerable protected, and the virus allowed to create herd immunity.

That theory breaks down when you realize that hospitals would quickly get overwhelmed if you did that. Eventually that is what will have to happen, but the rate at which it happens has to be kept under control.

Unless you want to do something like ration ventilators/ICU beds based on age or other universally applied measure, which will surely create a lot of civil unrest and anger.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:00 am
What I think we are all finding is that you can find whatever theory or explanation or conspiracy you want related to this virus.

For example, just talked with a guy this morning who reported that some news sites are saying the CV death count numbers are overstated, that any co-morbidity with CV is listed as CV.

But I was also immediate able to find a NYT article saying that CV is being undercounted.

Everyone is an expert on this virus it seems. Criticizing or praising the government response.

I've taken a couple days off from non-stop reading and listening to news and it has been refreshing.
The NYT article was purely speculative on that thought.
The opposite view is that since pneumonia deaths are way down, many of them are being attributed to CV.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 am
Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am

That theory breaks down when you realize that hospitals would quickly get overwhelmed if you did that. Eventually that is what will have to happen, but the rate at which it happens has to be kept under control.

Unless you want to do something like ration ventilators/ICU beds based on age or other universally applied measure, which will surely create a lot of civil unrest and anger.
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm really not understanding this position. If you take the entire CoVid critical care population and subtract out the people who are going to die regardless of whether they receive the best hospital care money can buy--then subtract out the very elderly and the comorbid population who were already train wrecks waiting to happen (an overwhelming percentage of whom are vulnerable because of longstanding lifestyle choices), you end up with a very tiny slice of the population. And we're shutting down the world economy for this, causing large swaths of the population to lose their jobs (and the health insurance that goes along with them), destroying small business, decimating retirement accounts, devaluing peoples' life savings, risking collapse of the currency, and destroying what's left of the tax base that's needed to support all this heroicism?

Counterargument, please.
Last edited by Maddy on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:14 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm really not understanding this position. If you take the entire CoVid critical care population and subtract out the people who are going to die regardless of whether they receive the best hospital care money can buy--then subtract out the very elderly and the comorbid population who were already train wrecks waiting to happen (an overwhelming percentage of whom are vulnerable because of longstanding lifestyle choices), you end up with a very tiny slice of the population. And we're shutting down the world economy for this, causing large swaths of the population to lose their jobs (many of them permanently) and destroying the small businesses people have built over a lifetime of hard work?
This is pretty much how I see it too. IMO people are thinking about this as a problem to solve, and not as a predicament (a problem without a solution). Tyler Cowen has said that America is a country that prioritizes its old people over the young, which seems like a valid heuristic to understanding why we're doing what we're doing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am

Well, three out of the three times I tried to switch on NPR today and yesterday, they were focusing on how in the U.S., African-Americans represent a disproportionately large % of the deaths from coronavirus. Not a surprise, because of diabetes stats, etc. But the way they talk about it, I feel like they want me to believe I'm racist and responsible for these deaths.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am
Well, three out of the three times I tried to switch on NPR today and yesterday, they were focusing on how in the U.S., African-Americans represent a disproportionately large % of the deaths from coronavirus. Not a surprise, because of diabetes stats, etc. But the way they talk about it, I feel like they want me to believe I'm racist and responsible for these deaths.
I think it's safe to say that you are way further to the right than am I. I never listen to NPR. Does not appeal to me. What is its appeal to you? The only time I ever put on the NPR radio station is when they are broadcasting a live hearing.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am
Now you're getting it ;D