Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:34 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am
Well, three out of the three times I tried to switch on NPR today and yesterday, they were focusing on how in the U.S., African-Americans represent a disproportionately large % of the deaths from coronavirus. Not a surprise, because of diabetes stats, etc. But the way they talk about it, I feel like they want me to believe I'm racist and responsible for these deaths.
Now you're getting it ;D
I used to be a racist but I gave it up after almost crashing the car. ;D
I've learned that to ignore the truth does not change the truth.
Emojis are visual acryonyms. :)
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am
dualstow wrote:
Well, three out of the three times I tried to switch on NPR today and yesterday, they were focusing on how in the U.S., African-Americans represent a disproportionately large % of the deaths from coronavirus. Not a surprise, because of diabetes stats, etc. But the way they talk about it, I feel like they want me to believe I'm racist and responsible for these deaths.
I think it's safe to say that you are way further to the right than am I. I never listen to NPR. Does not appeal to me. What is its appeal to you? The only time I ever put on the NPR radio station is when they are broadcasting a live hearing.

Vinny
NPR used to have some good non-political cultural stuff, but in say the last 10 years it's become pretty much intolerable with its literal preaching of propaganda. I find it funny that many people who would never set foot in a church because they don't want to be preached to will not just tolerate, but gorge themselves on, the preaching that they are getting from NPR and other media these days. No longer can we go the media just to learn the news of the day. Now if we go to them, we are told how we are supposed to think.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:58 am

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am
dualstow wrote:
I think it's safe to say that you are way further to the right than am I. I never listen to NPR. Does not appeal to me. What is its appeal to you? The only time I ever put on the NPR radio station is when they are broadcasting a live hearing.

Vinny
NPR used to have some good non-political cultural stuff, but in say the last 10 years it's become pretty much intolerable with its literal preaching of propaganda. I find it funny that many people who would never set foot in a church because they don't want to be preached to will not just tolerate, but gorge themselves on, the preaching that they are getting from NPR and other media these days. No longer can we go the media just to learn the news of the day. Now if we go to them, we are told how we are supposed to think.
Another reason why it has never appealed to me is because it is them who decides what news I get to hear and only what they broadcast.

Unlike getting the news from a newspaper from which you read the articles of interest and don't the ones that hold no interest. It'd be like the newspaper forcing you to read only the articles they present and in the order in which they present them.

Of course with the advent of the internet we have so many other avenues of news that listening to NPR seems quite anachronistic.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:14 am
Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm really not understanding this position. If you take the entire CoVid critical care population and subtract out the people who are going to die regardless of whether they receive the best hospital care money can buy--then subtract out the very elderly and the comorbid population who were already train wrecks waiting to happen (an overwhelming percentage of whom are vulnerable because of longstanding lifestyle choices), you end up with a very tiny slice of the population. And we're shutting down the world economy for this, causing large swaths of the population to lose their jobs (many of them permanently) and destroying the small businesses people have built over a lifetime of hard work?
This is pretty much how I see it too. IMO people are thinking about this as a problem to solve, and not as a predicament (a problem without a solution). Tyler Cowen has said that America is a country that prioritizes its old people over the young, which seems like a valid heuristic to understanding why we're doing what we're doing.
Or maybe just a Buying Opportunity for Some Banking System.
Debt Peonage anyone.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Happier news: Tyler Perry paid for the groceries during senior hours at 44 Kroger grocery stores in and around Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/andrewrsorkin/statu ... 50914?s=20
Sony’s first AI image sensor will make cameras everywhere smarter -- the verge dot com
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm

Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
sophie wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 am
Maddy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:40 am
Epidemiologist: Flattening the curve makes no sense; CV-19 could be "exterminated" if lockdowns were lifted, the vulnerable protected, and the virus allowed to create herd immunity.

https://www.wnd.com/2020/04/epidemiolog ... ns-lifted/
That theory breaks down when you realize that hospitals would quickly get overwhelmed if you did that. Eventually that is what will have to happen, but the rate at which it happens has to be kept under control.

Unless you want to do something like ration ventilators/ICU beds based on age or other universally applied measure, which will surely create a lot of civil unrest and anger.
I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm really not understanding this position. If you take the entire CoVid critical care population and subtract out the people who are going to die regardless of whether they receive the best hospital care money can buy--then subtract out the very elderly and the comorbid population who were already train wrecks waiting to happen (an overwhelming percentage of whom are vulnerable because of longstanding lifestyle choices), you end up with a very tiny slice of the population. And we're shutting down the world economy for this, causing large swaths of the population to lose their jobs (and the health insurance that goes along with them), destroying small business, decimating retirement accounts, devaluing peoples' life savings, risking collapse of the currency, and destroying what's left of the tax base that's needed to support all this heroicism?

Counterargument, please.
The only logical counterargument I can think of is that if even 1% of the population ends up in the hospital system it will be overrun so that people will die who would have otherwise survived.

Other than that, the arguments are emotional, not logical. That is a problem mostly because politics is largely emotional, and that in turn is because most people aren't very good at being logical in emotionally-laden situations.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Herd immunity: I’ll be curious to see how Sweden’s attempt plays out.
Sony’s first AI image sensor will make cameras everywhere smarter -- the verge dot com
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm
The only logical counterargument I can think of is that if even 1% of the population ends up in the hospital system it will be overrun so that people will die who would have otherwise survived.
Are the lives of a very small minority worth more than the livelihoods of the majority?

Are we properly accounting for the lives that may be destroyed or lost as a result of an economic recession or depression caused by an extended lockdown?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Here is a thoughtful podcast on the subject of the shutdown. The host is very libertarian, but regardless I think they had a fair discussion.

https://tomwoods.com/ep-1627-lockdowns- ... -approach/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Keep pet cats indoors to limit spread of coronavirus, vets urge

https://nypost.com/2020/04/08/vets-say- ... SocialFlow
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member