Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:02 am

Do they have pre-determined names for variants in alphabetical order like they do hurricanes? If so, we're up to O and there are only 10 left before they start using numbers.

You may count 11, but I read somewhere that the letter X would be ommitted because it would be the "Xi" variant and they didn' want to offend the Chinese.

That probably deserves a fact check, which I haven't done, but wouldn't that be rich if true?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 am

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:02 am
Do they have pre-determined names for variants in alphabetical order like they do hurricanes? If so, we're up to O and there are only 10 left before they start using numbers.

You may count 11, but I read somewhere that the letter X would be ommitted because it would be the "Xi" variant and they didn' want to offend the Chinese.

That probably deserves a fact check, which I haven't done, but wouldn't that be rich if true?
The variant names are letters of the Greek alphabet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letters

I understand that "Nu" was skipped because it would be confusing for English speakers. There is a "Chi" that looks like an X which maybe would be skipped for the Chinese.

I don't know what happens past Omega.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:39 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:39 pm

What tests do you get done, and which lab do you get it done by?

I ordered these, online at Quest

Hemoglobin A1c
Cholesterol Panel
COVID-19 Antibody Test
Vitamin D
Testosterone (Male)

$330 Pay on line. Drop in to a local phlebotomist for the blood draw. In and out in 10 minutes. Results by email in a day or two.

You had it done in a different state than mine (Massachusetts). When I tried to do something like this six years ago I was informed that I was not allowed to order any such tests on my own. They had to be ordered by a doctor.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 am

Mark, you might also consider a ferratin test, at least every once in a while. Hemochromatosis can sneak up on you.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 am
pp4me wrote:

I understand that "Nu" was skipped because it would be confusing for English speakers. There is a "Chi" that looks like an X which maybe would be skipped for the Chinese.

They could also call it the Xan variant, I guess.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:02 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 am
Mark, you might also consider a ferratin test, at least every once in a while. Hemochromatosis can sneak up on you.
I always get the feeling that these tests are basically about mining your blood for drugs to sell.

I've never heard of ferratin or hemochromatosis but something tells me the drugs might get very expensive.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:18 pm

Thank's Xan. Probably something to think about with the amount of red meat I eat. Of course, if I get blood drawn frequently enough, the problem would be self correcting :)

And pp4me, Xan is just talking about problems associated with excessive iron in the bloodstream. I've never looked into that, so no ideas on it from me. The cure, evidently, is just to donate blood frequently. So, no drugs involved. Personally, I'm using all of my blood and it seems like keeping it inside me makes the most sense. But what do I know?

Okay, my apologies for the detour from the Covid talk. Carry on!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:18 pm
Thank's Xan. Probably something to think about with the amount of red meat I eat. Of course, if I get blood drawn frequently enough, the problem would be self correcting :)

And pp4me, Xan is just talking about problems associated with excessive iron in the bloodstream. I've never looked into that, so no ideas on it from me. The cure, evidently, is just to donate blood frequently. So, no drugs involved. Personally, I'm using all of my blood and it seems like keeping it inside me makes the most sense. But what do I know?

Okay, so we're back to blood-letting then.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 pm

I have a good friend who is subject to this too much iron in the blood thing. It is a really big deal. If you’re prone to it, don’t underestimate it. Always good to know if you’re one of those who are.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: cholesterol tests and significance of ferritin

Post by Benko » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:47 pm

1. Higher than optimal ferritin levels (but still below hemochromatosis levels) some people believe put one at increase risk of heart disease. There was a thread discussing this here ages ago. Men don't have any way to get rid of excess iron and giving blood for most people might not be a bad idea.

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:24 pm
I think the whole cholesterol thing is a bunch of hooey and I only ever get it measured for grins.
IF you want to measure things

A. measure inflammation (which has been linked to heart disease, Alzheimers, etc). high sensitivity CRP. and

B. The kind of cholesterol test (I assume) you had certainly is (total, LDL, HDL, etc) . There are like 9 kinds of cholesterol and it is not as simple as HDL good, total/LDL bad. The kind of cholesterol test you want is called something like NMR cholesterol test which shows all the different kinds of cholesterol (including particle size, etc). For example I was retarded and ate very little animal protein and too many grains (even whole) which yielded a total cholesterol of 140 but high triglycerides and bad cholesterol patterns. I've just recently cut out the grains and am eating much more fat e.g. extra virgin olive oil, coconut, grass fed meat, etc.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:02 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:

Okay, so we're back to blood-letting then.
Yes, it works very well, for this anyway. I have a cousin-in-law who has such a bad case that she has to give blood every two weeks. It affects something like 0.5% of people of European ancestry, higher if any ancestry is (IIRC) Norse.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:05 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:

A very affordable and very useful test is a coronary calcium scan.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 pm

Hal,

I hope you are safe. It looks like three fugitives have broken loose from the government quarantine camp at Howard Springs. Rumored to be aboriginals. Stay safe. Hope you are okay.

Update. All of the fugitives were caught. All tested negative for Covid. They were all teenagers. So... thank god.

Be safe out there.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi Mark,

So they caught the dissidents ;D Back to the re-education camp with them.
Can't imagine why they would want to leave, given how well the aboriginals were treated historically....

Just waiting for Hugo Boss to design the new police uniforms <sarc-off>

btw: Vote on detention without trial or appeal will be made in Victoria by the end of the week
and for a laugh -> https://www.rebelnews.com/scandal_who_f ... e=therebel
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:19 am

I spent a lot of 2019 in the Northern Territories. Beautiful country. Later in the year, the rest of the Eastern coast, slowly traveling down to Melbourne.

Ah... damn. What can I say?
Really. Just, damn.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:19 pm

pp4me wrote:

It’s true.
Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 am

It’s the letter after Nu in your linked list. While it is not pronounced like Chinese Xi, it would probably still be spelled X-i in English. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:19 am
I spent a lot of 2019 in the Northern Territories. Beautiful country. Later in the year, the rest of the Eastern coast, slowly traveling down to Melbourne.

Ah... damn. What can I say?
Really. Just, damn.
Something else I can't believe! An accurate Alex Jones interview.
https://www.bitchute.com/embed/27hEkG14Hs9d/

Oh by the way, the Victorian law allowing detention without charges (and no legal recourse) has been passed.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.21.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.21.07 pm.png (378.28 KiB) Viewed 8048 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 pm

In the UK it was described that secondary attack rates among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% for vaccinated vs 23% for unvaccinated). 12 of 31 infections in fully vaccinated household contacts (39%) arose from fully vaccinated epidemiologically linked index cases. Peak viral load did not differ by vaccination status or variant type [[1]]. In Germany, the rate of symptomatic COVID-19 cases among the fully vaccinated (“breakthrough infections”) is reported weekly since 21. July 2021 and was 16.9% at that time among patients of 60 years and older [[2]]. This proportion is increasing week by week and was 58.9% on 27. October 2021 (Figure 1) providing clear evidence of the increasing relevance of the fully vaccinated as a possible source of transmission. A similar situation was described for the UK. Between week 39 and 42, a total of 100.160 COVID-19 cases were reported among citizens of 60 years or older. 89.821 occurred among the fully vaccinated (89.7%), 3.395 among the unvaccinated (3.4%) [[3]].
One week before, the COVID-19 case rate per 100.000 was higher among the subgroup of the vaccinated compared to the subgroup of the unvaccinated in all age groups of 30 years or more. In Israel a nosocomial outbreak was reported involving 16 healthcare workers, 23 exposed patients and two family members. The source was a fully vaccinated COVID-19 patient. The vaccination rate was 96.2% among all exposed individuals (151 healthcare workers and 97 patients). Fourteen fully vaccinated patients became severely ill or died, the two unvaccinated patients developed mild disease [[4]].
From The Lancet.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:28 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 am

Oh by the way, the Victorian law allowing detention without charges (and no legal recourse) has been passed.
Damn.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:43 pm

I was just reading on FoxNews that after discovering one incident of Omicron only a few days ago there are now cases being reported in many states which they go on to list one by one. If you added all the cases up you could probably come up with a headline something like "Omicron variant cases increase by 1000% in just 7 days!". I didn't read about every state they listed but in the ones I did read they said that so far the symptoms were mild.

Experts warn this could get worse, of course.

Am I the only one thinking there are a significant number of people hoping the experts are right? I don't mean that it is part of some kind of grand worldwide conspiracy or even that they even consciously believe that. Just some kind of inexplicable mindset that has taken hold of people.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:31 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:08 pm
Omicron is the Y2K of Covid.
I think we need to start distinguishing between Covid and COVID, the former being the real disease and the latter being, well, those who understand what I'm saying know very well what I'm talking about.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm

It's entirely possible that Omicron is the mutation we've been waiting for. The one that takes the next step towards the bug becoming like a common cold.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm
It's entirely possible that Omicron is the mutation we've been waiting for. The one that takes the next step towards the bug becoming like a common cold.
Seems like we're hearing that Omicron is contagious enough to displace Delta and also causing less severe disease. If both of those are true then you could be exactly right.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:56 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 am
pp4me wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:31 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:08 pm
Omicron is the Y2K of Covid.
I think we need to start distinguishing between Covid and COVID, the former being the real disease and the latter being, well, those who understand what I'm saying know very well what I'm talking about.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, bc I understood exactly what you meant. Thus my response, implying that Omicron is a big nothingburger that people are freaking out about, just like Y2K was.
I don't remember Y2K being a nothingburger. I remember a lot of work going into systems in the years leading up to it in order to try to minimize the impact, and it worked. Is that a nothingburger?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:42 pm

Some good ZDoggMD

Omicron Panic, Natural Immunity, Fluvoxamine, & More (w/ Dr. Marty Makary & Dr. Vinay Prasad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcVCFLhbAs