Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Hah, our office had a Vinny. Rheumy eyes and other leaks, blowing her nose and hacking up gunk. I saw her going through the food table as well. Nearly the entire office was sick a week or two later. This was a couple months ago, I wonder if it was the Wuhan or just regular disease. It put me down for 5 days or so, with some lingering sickness for a bit after that.
dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 pm
Does anyone go to a public gym? What is attendance like - the same, with people being better about wiping things down? Or more sparse?
The same amount where I am. The gym keeps hand sanitizer and bleach+rags around all year, though.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:30 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:34 pm
Hah, our office had a Vinny. Rheumy eyes and other leaks, blowing her nose and hacking up gunk. I saw her going through the food table as well. Nearly the entire office was sick a week or two later. This was a couple months ago, I wonder if it was the Wuhan or just regular disease. It put me down for 5 days or so, with some lingering sickness for a bit after that.
dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 pm
Does anyone go to a public gym? What is attendance like - the same, with people being better about wiping things down? Or more sparse?
The same amount where I am. The gym keeps hand sanitizer and bleach+rags around all year, though.
I have my own office. I'm an extreme introvert, generally staying in my office to do my work and rarely going into the kitchen area. And, it is quite rare when I am actually sick.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:31 pm

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... 5-85679969

The 2020 South by Southwest festival has been canceled, city officials in Austin, Texas, announced Friday.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Our office in San Francisco just got told to work from home indefinitely as well beginning next week. We also just had our first community spread here in AZ, so I'm sure my office is not far behind.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:41 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:54 pm
Either that, or maybe Vinny is that guy who comes in while visibly sick, and everyone else is trying to stay away from him and privately wishing he wasn't so devoted to his work.
The more this conversation goes on the more that comes back to mind regarding my life and [not] being sick.

From the last four months of 7th grade through 12 grade I missed zero school other than one period due to a doctor's visit ultimately caused by a stress fracture in my foot from running track. And, through 5 1/2 years of college never missed a day. The last sickness I remember during the pre-college years was in 7th grade which, of course, occurred during a few days in the middle of school February vacation.

I have a theory of my relative un-sickness, which you as a medical person can probably confirm or disabuse.

Due to family circumstances, from the ages of 6 months to three and one-half year old I did not live at home with my family but, instead, lived in a "home" with many other boys. I don't know how it's handled now but then (early 50s) I was placed in this "home" with many other boys of all ages, which was run by Catholic nuns. I have zero memory of any of it.

However, my theory is that as opposed to the "helicopter" parents who protect their children from all germs. I was in a germ laden environment, living in close quarters to so many other boys. Therefore, some form of inoculation took place. Isn't this somewhat the process by which vaccinations work? And, as I'm writing this keep in mind that I'm an accountant facile with all things numbers and $$$$ but with almost zero biological / medical knowledge so I may be way off base.

And, does my theory fit with me developing many, many allergies at the age of 4 3/4's years old? Those were so serious that I required frequent anti-histamine shots through about third grade. However once I went through puberty all my allergies (dogs, cats, roses, some others) all went completely away, except for hay fever, which also completely went away some time in my early 20s.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Interesting! Although one can develop allergies at any age, you’ve probably seen those studies that suggest Swiss children have more allergies because their parents were a bit too fastidious.Those who grew up on a farm have fewer allergies.
But then I got your final paragraph with the 4 3/4 years. Oops. ???

Maybe you just have an excellent immune system.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:55 pm
My granddaughter had a peanut allergy at age 6 months. Per pediatrician advice, my son and his wife exposed her to increasing doses of peanut butter over a period of time. By the time she was a year old, the allergy was gone.
I constantly exposed myself to dogs and cats while allergic to them. Always had the same reaction. Would sneeze five times. It was puberty that rescued me so that I could later, as an adult, actually have them as pets. I lived a pet-free childhood.

Vinny
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 pm
I lived a pet-free childhood.
I too had allergies to dogs and cats, but we always had them when I was a kid. I just got "allergy shots" for a period of time. No clue if that's something still done, nor how it works (possibly increasing dosages to build immunity?)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:26 pm

drumminj wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 pm
I lived a pet-free childhood.
I too had allergies to dogs and cats, but we always had them when I was a kid. I just got "allergy shots" for a period of time. No clue if that's something still done, nor how it works (possibly increasing dosages to build immunity?)
It looks like the anti-histamine injections are still current.

https://www.medicinenet.com/antihistami ... astfeeding

I was not on any other drugs nor do I recall any kind of side effects from getting them (with great frequency). Even with those injections, if a dog or cat had been in the house I would have been constantly sneezing. One time my sister bought my mother roses for Mother's Day and because of my allergic reaction to them they had to be moved to the basement.

Vinny
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:04 pm

I am allergic to both dogs and cats, yet I've lived with both my entire life with no regrets. Good old Zyrtec. I'm actually looking at getting a pup in the fall. My last dog passed away a couple years ago and it's definitely beyond time to get a new hiking buddy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:51 pm

pmward wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:04 pm
I am allergic to both dogs and cats, yet I've lived with both my entire life with no regrets. Good old Zyrtec. I'm actually looking at getting a pup in the fall. My last dog passed away a couple years ago and it's definitely beyond time to get a new hiking buddy.
When I was in my late 20s I went for a few days to work in Vermont at a food coop. They had a cat there. I was sneezing while I was working in the office. We went out to eat and I stopped sneezing. Came back to the office and started sneezing again. I said to myself, "Oh, no! Has my cat allergy come back??!!"

As soon as I arrived home I picked up my cat and held him. No sneezing! I later asked a doctor acquaintance if I could still be allergic to a particular strain of cat (that Vermont cat was unusual) and he told me Yes. That was the only time I have ever encountered a cat that caused an allergic reaction in me after I no longer had the allergy after puberty.

Vinny
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 am

Yeah, the type of cat and dog do matter. There are some that trigger my sinus allergies and some that don't. The one thing I do have to watch out for though is at least rinsing my hands off after I pet a dog or cat, as if I forget and accidentally rub my eye after my eye will get super red and irritated.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 am

pmward wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:01 am
Yeah, the type of cat and dog do matter. There are some that trigger my sinus allergies and some that don't. The one thing I do have to watch out for though is at least rinsing my hands off after I pet a dog or cat, as if I forget and accidentally rub my eye after my eye will get super red and irritated.
My only reaction was the five sneezes. And, then the whole episode was over.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am

I was always severely allergic to cats, but I inadvertently desensitized by repeatedly visiting a friend who had cats. Took about 2 years, just like an allergy shot schedule except free! There's something about sporadic exposure (rather than continuous) that seems to work well.

Vinny, you could consider Siberian cats. They are uniquely low-allergen, and it has nothing to do with amount of fur: it's that they lack the gene for cat dander. I have two, and not only am I perfectly fine with them, but so are family and friends with cat allergies. My sister, who has ended up in ERs with asthma attacks due to cats, can sleep over with not so much as a sniffle. Plus, Siberians are awesome cats! Fun, super friendy and outgoing. One of mine has gotten pretty good at balloon volleyball. He also happily tortures willing visitors into petting him for as long as he wants...over an hour usually.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:20 am

WiseOne, didn't you used to post about some kind of alternative treatment?

On topic: I peeked at some panic shoppers fighting over toilet paper. Not pretty.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:35 am

I went to Costco this past Wednesday morning and was expecting chaos. I was surprised, only a half-dozen shoppers waiting for the doors to open. Shelves stocked with typical amounts of toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, water etc. No fights in the aisles, shoppers and clerks were courteous. Checkout was a breeze. I guess chaos depends on where you live, and what day/time you go to the store.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:45 am

Yeah, it hasn't really hit here, either. Some empty shelves (rubbing alcohol) but no fighting.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:13 pm

I went early this morning to do my shopping before the crowds. I actually stocked up on food. I usually just purchase food fresh that I'm going to eat the next week. But this week I actually filled my freezer and pantry up. I'm single and live alone, so if I do catch it and cannot leave the house for 2 weeks it would be nice to know I had all the food and supplies I needed. And if it blows over I will just eat the food down after. They were definitely full staff there this morning, stocking the living crap out of the shelves.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Dalio's thoughts on the corona virus https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-thoug ... ray-dalio/
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Business as usual at the grocery stores here today. I didn't see any empty shelves. These stories remind me of the long gas lines and shortages after Sandy. It turns out there was no actual gas shortage, but because everyone panicked and decided to fill up on gas immediately after, stations started running out and long lines formed.

I keep expecting to find shortages of stuff from China on Amazon, but it's not happening - yet. I've been wondering if I should buy a new window air conditioner - not because I need it, but just in case something breaks over the summer and I don't get caught short. My window A/C's have to fit some unusual requirements (narrow windows) and the only ones that fit are made in China. I can survive without a lot of things, but I definitely draw the line at A/C!
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Well down in Australia the toilet paper has sold out, even in a tiny country town I visited yesterday.
Still plenty of beer though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1a1jkGY5c
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am
I was always severely allergic to cats, but I inadvertently desensitized by repeatedly visiting a friend who had cats. Took about 2 years, just like an allergy shot schedule except free! There's something about sporadic exposure (rather than continuous) that seems to work well.

Vinny, you could consider Siberian cats. They are uniquely low-allergen, and it has nothing to do with amount of fur: it's that they lack the gene for cat dander. I have two, and not only am I perfectly fine with them, but so are family and friends with cat allergies. My sister, who has ended up in ERs with asthma attacks due to cats, can sleep over with not so much as a sniffle. Plus, Siberians are awesome cats! Fun, super friendy and outgoing. One of mine has gotten pretty good at balloon volleyball. He also happily tortures willing visitors into petting him for as long as he wants...over an hour usually.
I have not been allergic to any cats after I went through puberty (over 55 years ago). It just that one cat in 1978 that provoked the allergic reaction in me. Did that cat have a particular type of cat dander that was highly uncommon. And, also, post puberty no reoccurrences of similar allergic reactions to dogs, which had been the norm pre-puberty.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (96.86 KiB) Viewed 17429 times
And, was it the Labradoodle dog that was developed / bred for people that have dog allergies?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:59 pm

This virus is the first time I've ever paid attention to such a thing. And, through here and what I'm getting via other media, I'm getting quite a bit of exposure to information regarding it.

Being human, it made me concerned if I should still do today what I usually do this time of year -- go see six western Massachusetts finals high school basketball games, three girls games and three boys game.

Though the place where the game are played is not that big the unique thing about it is that most people only come to one game. Therefore for the 10 1/2 hours that I'm there, I'd be being exposed to six different crowds, increasing the risk.

I decided to do it. Not once did I sneeze or cough nor did I hear anyone else around me do so. I was sitting in my usual seat - exactly mid-court, about four rows up. For many of the games I had no one in front of me, behind me, or on either side of me.

I don't think there was lower attendance today out of concern for the virus. I think it was because no schools / teams from my county or the adjacent county (where the games were) played today. I think some of their fans had to travel 1 1/2 hours each way. The place IS packed when much more local teams are in one of the games.

I'd heard that at some basketball games in the country players were no longer shaking hands but touching elbows. But, today, I did not notice any avoidance of touching.

I went to the bathroom twice and each time I tried my best not to touch anything that anyone else could have touched. I am on alert for bathrooms in a public place such as that!

And, that public place was where Dr. J - Julius Erving -- had played in making his fame as a college player!

Vinny
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:38 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:47 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am

I have not been allergic to any cats after I went through puberty (over 55 years ago). It just that one cat in 1978 that provoked the allergic reaction in me. Did that cat have a particular type of cat dander that was highly uncommon. And, also, post puberty no reoccurrences of similar allergic reactions to dogs, which had been the norm pre-puberty.

Capture.JPG

And, was it the Labradoodle dog that was developed / bred for people that have dog allergies?

Vinny
Speaking of cats, this seemed appropriate.
Attachments
How to look after cat.jpg
How to look after cat.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 17309 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:11 am

O0 ahaaha! Nice, Hal. Just when I was getting the itch to suggest a separate thread for cat allergies, you brought everything together!

Australia: https://mobile.twitter.com/_West_Sydney ... 2714514432