Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pp4me » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 pm
Deadliest virus in history?
Who the heck said that??? COVID doesn't rank anywhere near the top either in mortality rate, or in total number of deaths. Is that even something to debate?
It was in the post above mine by Vinny.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:17 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm
WiseOne wrote:
pp4me wrote:
Who the heck said that??? COVID doesn't rank anywhere near the top either in mortality rate, or in total number of deaths. Is that even something to debate?
Oh. I gave up reading those posts a long time ago. No point. As you can see.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:35 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:17 pm
pp4me wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm
WiseOne wrote:
pp4me wrote:
Oh. I gave up reading those posts a long time ago. No point. As you can see.
Good point but lately there would hardly be any posts if it wasn't for the 2 COVID threads.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 pm

pp4me wrote:

I don't think they had those kinds of cloth masks during the smallpox (300 mil) and Spanish Flu (50 mil) epidemics.

Nor is the fatality rate, somewhere around 1% for COVID, even close to being comparable to other viruses like HIV and Ebola.
1% lololol. The mortality rate in the US for everyone breathing is already 1% annually. Since covid only seems like a real risk to elderly, or sick or obese people, maybe it's actually reducing mortality rates. I don't think anyone ever solved the covid math challenge.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 am

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admin-not- ... 34354.html

About a year ago I posed the question as to what the end game of this was going to be. Given the fact that this virus will not just disappear, are alternating lockdowns and masking going to be the game plan forever? If not then what is the plan? I received no good response to that question last year other than vaccines.

Well now we have a vaccine. Everyone can get it if they choose and over 50% of people have gotten it nationwide. Dallas is averaging 2 Covid deaths per day. That is 2. So do we have to get to 0 for this to go away? Or will it all be about "cases" and every time cases uptick then its back to restrictions? What is the end game now that the vaccine is available? Getting everyone vaccinated shouldn't mean anything since they have said masks are necessary because vaccinated people can transmit the virus. Biden yesterday claimed the focus was all about saving lives and not the economy or anything else. So a year later I have to ask everyone's opinion, how will this ever end if we carry on with the current strategies and measurements?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 am

It seems to me that most people are planning to get on with life. BUT, I suspect they will grudingly go along with more mandates if that happens. But also, as time goes on the trend will be towards more people saying let's get on with it.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm

Does anyone here follow libertarian and anti-lockdown anti-mask Tom Woods? It sure sounds like he got Covid 3 weeks ago and is not admitting it. Only saying pneumonia and having a tough recovery. If he has Covid and won't admit it, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:39 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm
Does anyone here follow libertarian and anti-lockdown anti-mask Tom Woods? It sure sounds like he got Covid 3 weeks ago and is not admitting it. Only saying pneumonia and having a tough recovery. If he has Covid and won't admit it, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.
Do you have a source for that information? I googled "Tom Woods pneumonia" just now but didn't see any meaningful results. Did he just mention it verbally on one of his podcast episodes?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:49 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:39 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm
Do you have a source for that information? I googled "Tom Woods pneumonia" just now but didn't see any meaningful results. Did he just mention it verbally on one of his podcast episodes?
I'm on his email list. Here is the browser version of today's email.

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/wishingform ... f224a7b5b6
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:49 pm
I'm on his email list. Here is the browser version of today's email.

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/wishingform ... f224a7b5b6
Okay, that's interesting. A three-week bout of pneumonia is not your typical seasonal cold/flu type of illness, so given all of his Covid-related writings and podcasts, it does seem a bit suspicious that he makes no mention of whether his pneumonia is related to Covid.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:18 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 am
https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admin-not- ... 34354.html

About a year ago I posed the question as to what the end game of this was going to be. Given the fact that this virus will not just disappear, are alternating lockdowns and masking going to be the game plan forever? If not then what is the plan? I received no good response to that question last year other than vaccines.

Well now we have a vaccine. Everyone can get it if they choose and over 50% of people have gotten it nationwide. Dallas is averaging 2 Covid deaths per day. That is 2. So do we have to get to 0 for this to go away? Or will it all be about "cases" and every time cases uptick then its back to restrictions? What is the end game now that the vaccine is available? Getting everyone vaccinated shouldn't mean anything since they have said masks are necessary because vaccinated people can transmit the virus. Biden yesterday claimed the focus was all about saving lives and not the economy or anything else. So a year later I have to ask everyone's opinion, how will this ever end if we carry on with the current strategies and measurements?
As the fear mongering is used to implement the 21st century version of the Bolshevik revolution, it only ends when the Covidian wall is torn down.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:12 pm

6016C758-BA93-4461-80F6-4287842B8E6B.jpeg
6016C758-BA93-4461-80F6-4287842B8E6B.jpeg (122.67 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:46 am

Where are the cries of "never again!"???
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 pm

99% of doctors have been vaccinated. Less than half of doctors have been vaccinated. I think I read articles making those claims on the same day.

Studies show conclusively that masks don't work. Studies show conclusively that masks work.

Fauci says masks don't work. Fauci says masks work and everyone should be wearing them.

You don't need to wear a mask if you are fully vaccinated. You need to wear a mask even if you are fully vaccinated.

Vaccinated people aren't being hospitalized and dying. Vaccinated people are being hospitalized and dying at an alarming rate.

Vaccinated countries/states are doing fine. Vaccinated countries/states are being hit hard by the Delta variant and the vaccines may even be causing it.

The vaccine is effective against the Delta variant. The vaccine isn't effective against the Delta variant.

Cases are "surging". Cases are way lower than they were in January.

The list goes on and on.

On Tucker last night he talked about a local news report, I think it was in Oklahoma, that said a local hospital was being overrun by new cases of Covid and most of those admitted were unvaccinated children. So somebody called the hospital and they said they had no idea what they were talking about.

I would go back and finish college at age 72 for help figuring all of this out but I doubt that it would help.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 pm

Yo! Yo! Yo!!!

Common ground has been found (at least for me.)

With this issue it doesn’t bother me too much that the narrative/guidance has changed. This is known as learning and Covid-19 was/is new. However, I completely agree the communications by government (and many others) has been heinously bad. This should be a textbook case study in many disciplines for years to come.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:22 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 pm
Yo! Yo! Yo!!!

Common ground has been found (at least for me.)

With this issue it doesn’t bother me too much that the narrative/guidance has changed. This is known as learning and Covid-19 was/is new. However, I completely agree the communications by government (and many others) has been heinously bad. This should be a textbook case study in many disciplines for years to come.
We are all creatures floundering in the dark. Our "leaders" can't admit it because that's why we elect them and/or pay them big salaries.

I think a little humility would go a long way nowadays. Seems to be a rare quality.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:55 pm

About a week ago after running some errands I came home and told my wife "well I think masking is over around here." I estimated about 99% of the people I saw in the various places I went were maskless. In fact it was strange to actually see a person wearing a mask.

On Wed the CDC recommended to wear masks again. The next day I noticed 4 or 5 people wearing masks in the same place that had none the day before. But today while going to many places (Old Navy, restaurant, grocery store etc) none of which had any mask required signs, I would estimate about 30% of people were wearing masks..and a lot of them were young kids.

So for whatever this very limited sociological observation is worth, apparently about 30% of people in my area will follow whatever the CDC directs and they will do it very quickly.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 pm
99% of doctors have been vaccinated. Less than half of doctors have been vaccinated. I think I read articles making those claims on the same day.

Studies show conclusively that masks don't work. Studies show conclusively that masks work.

Fauci says masks don't work. Fauci says masks work and everyone should be wearing them.

You don't need to wear a mask if you are fully vaccinated. You need to wear a mask even if you are fully vaccinated.

Vaccinated people aren't being hospitalized and dying. Vaccinated people are being hospitalized and dying at an alarming rate.

Vaccinated countries/states are doing fine. Vaccinated countries/states are being hit hard by the Delta variant and the vaccines may even be causing it.

The vaccine is effective against the Delta variant. The vaccine isn't effective against the Delta variant.

Cases are "surging". Cases are way lower than they were in January.

The list goes on and on.

On Tucker last night he talked about a local news report, I think it was in Oklahoma, that said a local hospital was being overrun by new cases of Covid and most of those admitted were unvaccinated children. So somebody called the hospital and they said they had no idea what they were talking about.

I would go back and finish college at age 72 for help figuring all of this out but I doubt that it would help.
It is psychological warfare.

For ex...there is no new evidence that masks are effective against virus.

However...they r very effective at creating/maintaining a sense of panic.

Here's yet another example of how the public is being played/mocked.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2021/07/cdc-mocks-npcs.html
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:09 am

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:55 pm

About a week ago after running some errands I came home and told my wife "well I think masking is over around here." I estimated about 99% of the people I saw in the various places I went were maskless. In fact it was strange to actually see a person wearing a mask.

On Wed the CDC recommended to wear masks again. The next day I noticed 4 or 5 people wearing masks in the same place that had none the day before. But today while going to many places (Old Navy, restaurant, grocery store etc) none of which had any mask required signs, I would estimate about 30% of people were wearing masks..and a lot of them were young kids.

So for whatever this very limited sociological observation is worth, apparently about 30% of people in my area will follow whatever the CDC directs and they will do it very quickly.

I was out yesterday for a few music events. At the place where I bought some food, both women working there were wearing masks. May have seen 1% at the first music event people wearing masks. At the second event 0%. Reporting from extremely liberal Western Massachusetts.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 am

Dr. Fauci warns latest COVID-19 wave is ‘going to get worse’

https://nypost.com/2021/08/01/dr-anthon ... s%20Alerts

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Sunday warned that the country’s latest COVID-19 surge is “going to get worse” — but insisted he doesn’t expect the climbing case numbers to trigger any new lockdown orders.

“From the standpoint of illness, hospitalization, suffering and death, the unvaccinated are much more vulnerable because the vaccinated are protected from severe illness, for the most part,” he said. “And getting us back to normal, the unvaccinated, by not being vaccinated, are allowing the propagation and the spread of the outbreak which ultimately impacts everybody.”
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Remember when herd immunity was going to happen at 65% vaccination + recovered cases?

Illinois has 12.5 million people.
The state says 56% of people 12+ are fully vaccinated, with
72% having had at least one shot.

There have been 1.4 million "total cases", or 11% of the total population. Maybe more like oh, 15% of the adult population.

Obviously there is some, maybe a lot of, overlap between the vaccinated and the cases. But the state is for sure into what had been thought to be herd immunity territory. Anyway we don't hear about herd immunity any more. So who knows. "Cases" and test positivity are rising.

Further stats that may be of interest.
"Confirmed" deaths: 23,440
"probable" deaths: 2,476
TOTAL ~26K
So, percent of total population thought to have been killed by it: 0.2%
Probably a bit lower than that since it is commonly accepted that everyone was mis-attributing the causes of death. But even at the full number, that's lower than most people believe. I think.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm
Remember when herd immunity was going to happen at 65% vaccination + recovered cases?

Illinois has 12.5 million people.
The state says 56% of people 12+ are fully vaccinated, with
72% having had at least one shot.

There have been 1.4 million "total cases", or 11% of the total population. Maybe more like oh, 15% of the adult population.

Obviously there is some, maybe a lot of, overlap between the vaccinated and the cases. But the state is for sure into what had been thought to be herd immunity territory. Anyway we don't hear about herd immunity any more. So who knows. "Cases" and test positivity are rising.

Further stats that may be of interest.
"Confirmed" deaths: 23,440
"probable" deaths: 2,476
TOTAL ~26K
So, percent of total population thought to have been killed by it: 0.2%
Probably a bit lower than that since it is commonly accepted that everyone was mis-attributing the causes of death. But even at the full number, that's lower than most people believe. I think.
Since stats are not really on their side anymore, if you take that argument to the Covidians it is a guarantee you will get back something along the lines of “obviously you have not been affected by this. I have known X number of people who died/are struggling with it. If you did you would know that numbers are just numbers until they aren’t.”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:23 am

Yesterday I went to a park about 4 miles from my house. It has two softball fields, basketball court, field house, skate park, kids things to play on, picnic area, water thing, other things.

I've been playing softball on the two softball fields since 1982.

Yesterday they had three bands plays for free. The bands were part local, part semi-national. In the 40 years I have been going to this park (mainly for softball) I have NEVER seen even a tiny fraction of the amount of people that were all over the park yesterday.

Here are two of the picture I took of the crowd from my point of view (right in front of the stage). I don't think you see anyone wearing a mask in these two pictures? Again this is EXTREMELY liberal Western Massachusetts.

226303958_10226397658513335_1422400627021641583_n.jpg
226303958_10226397658513335_1422400627021641583_n.jpg (583.85 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
222551055_10226397649313105_8145584752060988221_n.jpg
222551055_10226397649313105_8145584752060988221_n.jpg (577.35 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am

I have seen some more masks return (never really left), and last night, Walmart had a sign on the door saying they now recommend masks whether vaccinated or not.

Whatever. You want to wear one, go ahead. You want to force me to wear one in your store to get in, fine, it's not going to kill me.

However, I see no appetite this time around from anyone at any government level (mainly democratic in IL) to even think about using the word lockdown. You just can't. You can't tell people we went through all this shit, got vaccinated, but, hell, we are going to close down again. Not happening.

Not this second round, no way. Covid is here to stay. Schools will open, masks might be there in places, but life will go on. Covid, and all its infinite variants, is a well known enough quantity now.