Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Great news! Take care of yourself, mathjak.

P.S.

Governor Cuomo, 3/30/2020, afternoon:
There is no politics. There is no red and blue. There's red, white and blue. Get over it.
👍
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:31 pm
a three drug cocktail they have been using that has been fairly effective ...
And they do mean cocktail (visualizing a nice vodka tonic) Seriously, Mathjak, I'll be hoping and praying for the best.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:32 pm

The debate about masks seems so ridiculous. . . I frequently come into contact with rodent droppings in the barn and chicken coop. When cleaning, I ALWAYS wear a mask, which has been recommended since the dawn of time for protection against hantavirus. I see absolutely no reason why the same strategy would not apply here.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:57 pm

For the past couple of weeks, one of my local radio stations that normally plays pop/rock music has been playing Christmas music -- yes, Christmas music -- for a couple of hours a day (around lunch and dinner time, I think). Presumably to help comfort people.

The first time I heard it two weeks ago, I was driving somewhere to pick up dinner and already felt like I had stepped into an alternate reality due to the empty streets and parking lots. When I switched the channel and landed on that Christmas music, it just cemented the weirdness.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:28 pm

A top government official in France has admitted that draconian lockdown measures being imposed on the rest of the population shouldn’t be implemented in the country’s migrant-heavy ghettos in order to prevent riots. link
LOL. So diverse.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:50 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
My ex was released yesterday ..she said if they catch it early on there is a three drug cocktail they have been using that has been fairly effective .....she couldn’t breath and talk when she went in on Friday .they gave it to her for a day ....she is home recuperating but feels so much better ......
Do you know what the three drugs are? That could be useful information.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:30 pm

No. ... she has not been communicating much since she got home so at this point I have no idea .... I will try googling it
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm

It looks like a cocktail of hiv and flu drops from what I read....
Last edited by mathjak107 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
My ex was released yesterday ..she said if they catch it early on there is a three drug cocktail they have been using that has been fairly effective .....she couldn’t breath and talk when she went in on Friday .they gave it to her for a day ....she is home recuperating but feels so much better ......
Is the three drug cocktail the malaria drug, Zpac, plus zinc?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm

This article was written by William McGurn, but I swear it was composed by our own Benko.

Harvard’s China Virus
Some of the same people who fret so loudly about how we refer to Covid-19 are utterly indifferent to this other racial discrimination affecting Chinese-Americans.

Start with the mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio. After Mr. Trump tweeted out a reference to “the China virus” earlier this month, Mr. de Blasio clapped back. Asian-Americans, the mayor thundered, “don’t need you fueling more bigotry.”

If someone fuels bigotry by calling a virus a name accurately derived from its geographic origins, what about a mayor who works overtime to reduce the number of Asian-Americans in his city’s most competitive public high schools, not because they haven’t earned their entry but because they aren’t the right race.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvards-c ... 1585585597

I agree. DiBlasio is the worst. He also encouraged New Yorkers to go out and see a movie at the beginning of this outbreak.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Have you guys taken the self-isolation/quarantine opportunity to watch National Treasure yet this year?

Better get it done before June 17th (HB's birthday), or you get auto-banned from the forum.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am

How the AMOUNT of the coronavirus you get infected with could decide whether you suffer mild or severe symptoms

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mailonline
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 am

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/taleb ... 13998.html

Taleb on Coronavirus and the markets:
“The worst thing you can do with insurance is try to time it,” Taleb, a distinguished professor of risk engineering at New York University, said in an interview Monday on Bloomberg Television. “If you don’t have tail insurance, you don’t have a portfolio. Your portfolio is going to blow up.”
;D
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 am

“The worst thing you can do with insurance is try to time it,” Taleb, a distinguished professor of risk engineering at New York University, said in an interview Monday on Bloomberg Television. “If you don’t have tail insurance, you don’t have a portfolio. Your portfolio is going to blow up.”
;D
Yes, that seems correct.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 am

;D
Video for article
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... able-video

He also says "This is the strongest statistical association I've seen w/ respect to the virus. Wear a mask, mandate others to wear masks, & remember that @WHO is criminally incompetent. To repeat:@WHO is criminally incompetent. PS-Don't get into elevators, buses, etc. unless your mask in N95 "
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am

shekels wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

He also says "This is the strongest statistical association I've seen w/ respect to the virus. Wear a mask, mandate others to wear masks, & remember that @WHO is criminally incompetent. To repeat:@WHO is criminally incompetent. PS-Don't get into elevators, buses, etc. unless your mask in N95 "
One of the things that I appreciate about Taleb is that he explains his reasoning. He's not saying "wear a mask because it works". He says "wear a mask because it is asymmetric". Meaning that there could be a high likelihood that wearing a mask is a small net negative (it doesn't do anything and it is annoying) versus a small chance that it is hugely positive (It wards off the apocalypse)
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am
shekels wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am

One of the things that I appreciate about Taleb is that he explains his reasoning. He's not saying "wear a mask because it works". He says "wear a mask because it is asymmetric". Meaning that there could be a high likelihood that wearing a mask is a small net negative (it doesn't do anything and it is annoying) versus a small chance that it is hugely positive (It wards off the apocalypse)
I agree that wearing a mask does not have many negatives.
Except looking different than other store shoppers.
We may be wearing Mask as new Normal if this goes on much longer.
Attachments
EUb6QZUWsAMqpo9.jpg small.jpeg
EUb6QZUWsAMqpo9.jpg small.jpeg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 11427 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm

shekels wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm
Things certainly seem to be moving quickly in that direction:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ics-2020-3
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm

shekels wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote:

The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
Doesn't that top circled group include China, where for sure they wear masks?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:43 pm

I believe that our Massachusetts governor has announced that all non-essential businesses are to be remained closed through May 4th.

Therefore after just getting that news I was quite surprised when shortly after I went outside to cross my street to get the mail that I had to wait as a total of about eight cars were going by in either direction. There was also someone going by on a bicycle.

I've just officially passed the two week mark of not being in the presence of any other human being or buying any food.

I'm seeing that my not-normal lifestyle has left me well-positioned for much of the aspects of today's life living under this virus.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm

Even taking such common-sense precautions as washing hands is often an unaffordable luxury to the half of the population. . . Even seemingly costless social distancing is hard to implement. Our lifestyle is deeply communal, with extended families traditionally sharing the burdens and bounties of life together, eating meals from the same plate.
A virus that ignores borders cannot be tackled successfully like this.
Momentary victory by a rich country in controlling the virus at a national level, coupled with travel bans and border closures, may give a semblance of accomplishment. But we all know this is a stopgap.
It's funny, he seems to be making the opposite argument.
all of Africa’s development partners must ensure that their development aid budgets remain ringfenced and are not diverted to domestic priorities. link
Ahhh.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking that all foreign aid should be diverted to domestic priorities right now.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 pm

bleep bloop, I'm a bot. kriegs seems to be quoting from this page:
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of -
quiet, you
If Covid-19 is not beaten in Africa it will return to haunt us all | Free to read      
Only a global victory can end this pandemic, not a temporary rich countries’ win 
https://www.ft.com/content/c12a09c8-6db ... bea055720b
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:32 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 pm
bleep bloop, I'm a bot. kriegs seems to be quoting from this page:
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of -
quiet, you
If Covid-19 is not beaten in Africa it will return to haunt us all | Free to read      
Only a global victory can end this pandemic, not a temporary rich countries’ win 
https://www.ft.com/content/c12a09c8-6db ... bea055720b
How about if we require quarantine for travelers from countries that host pandemic illnesses? That should help.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm
Even taking such common-sense precautions as washing hands is often an unaffordable luxury to the half of the population. . . Even seemingly costless social distancing is hard to implement. Our lifestyle is deeply communal, with extended families traditionally sharing the burdens and bounties of life together, eating meals from the same plate.
A virus that ignores borders cannot be tackled successfully like this.
Momentary victory by a rich country in controlling the virus at a national level, coupled with travel bans and border closures, may give a semblance of accomplishment. But we all know this is a stopgap.
It's funny, he seems to be making the opposite argument.
all of Africa’s development partners must ensure that their development aid budgets remain ringfenced and are not diverted to domestic priorities. link
Ahhh.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking that all foreign aid should be diverted to domestic priorities right now.
Foreign aid to "developing" countries is money down a rathole. All it does is make the rats bigger.