vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale »

Dualstow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toilet roll has become the new Lamborghini, everybody wants them

https://www.independent.co.uk/independe ... 1585709171
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 pm Dualstow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toilet roll has become the new Lamborghini, everybody wants them

https://www.independent.co.uk/independe ... 1585709171
😂 You know, when I used them as an example in Tortoise’s shortage thread — say Tortoise shortage 5 times real fast — I wasn’t trying to be snarky, or even funny. I was just trying to say that I understand how the textbook definition of supply & demand goes, but that it doesn’t fly when so many people are out of work.

In any case, the fact that it’s a headline is pretty damn funny! 😂 Thank you for finding this.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:20 pm Boris Johnson says that China has perhaps dozens of times more cases than claimed. I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually the case. Given the tenuous relationship between the Chinese government and the truth.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ina-2020-3
Note to Boris Johnson: Take a number.

WIth what's been going on in Spain, Italy and NYC, I am having a really hard time buying China's reported case & mortality counts. I was wondering if the virus mutated into a much more aggressive/contagious form, but it's more likely massive underreporting. Thanks a lot for the heads-up, guys. Way to be good global citizens.

(Dualstow - are you clairvoyant or what? Nice choice of analogy.)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:12 am
I think most of us know all this already but...just for anyone who might be driving themselves into a panic because journalists can't do math and are inclined to sensationalize everything, here's a counterpoint that might be helpful. Also, if you want to do something constructive, put yourself on a low carb, sugar free diet, take vitamins especially D3, get enough sleep etc. (I ran across an interesting article measuring ability of white blood cells to kill pathogens after eating various forms of sugar or refined carbohydrates...it's cut in half for about 5 hours.)
WiseOne, what's the effective difference between Vitamin D and D3 on the body?
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Evangelical Preachers Endanger Congregations By Defying Common Sense and Holding Services

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/node/89725
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

vnatale wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 pm Toilet roll has become the new Lamborghini, everybody wants them
I feel triggered.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Just listened to the latest episode of NPR’s The Indicator podcast. They interviewed an ER doc in NYC. She said the vast majority (“98%”) of the patients coming into her ER the past couple of days have had Covid-19.

Even patients who come in for completely different reasons often have it. She said someone will get an X-ray for a broken bone, and it will show stuff in their lungs that turns out to be Covid-19.

Wild stuff. I don’t know how reliable of a source she is, but if she’s telling the truth... wow.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 pm Just listened to the latest episode of NPR’s The Indicator podcast. They interviewed an ER doc in NYC. She said the vast majority (“98%”) of the patients coming into her ER the past couple of days have had Covid-19.

Even patients who come in for completely different reasons often have it. She said someone will get an X-ray for a broken bone, and it will show stuff in their lungs that turns out to be Covid-19.

Wild stuff. I don’t know how reliable of a source she is, but if she’s telling the truth... wow.
Where would you think emergency room doctors fit on the scale of most trusted / least trusted professions? I think high.

But let me see if I can find anything.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccar ... cd70147e94

https://news.gallup.com/poll/245597/nur ... thics.aspx

Medical doctors, second highest to nurses.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Japan Counting on Obedient Citizens to Lock Themselves Down

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-business
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

DISPATCHES FROM A PANDEMIC
‘Would you risk your life for a jar of marmalade?’ My 5-point guide to surviving one hour in the grocery store
By Quentin Fottrell
Published: Apr 1, 2020 12:45 am ET
‘If we’re going to get coronavirus, a supermarket is where we’re gonna get it’

https://www.marketwatch.com/discover?ur ... amp_social
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Russian Hospital Chief Who Met Putin Last Week Has Coronavirus

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... oronavirus
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.19 KiB) Viewed 7103 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.fastcompany.com/90483596/wh ... ontent=rss

What our country can do now to support small businesses
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

vnatale wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 am https://www.fastcompany.com/90483596/wh ... ontent=rss

What our country can do now to support small businesses
Yup.

Support independent bookstores.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

now another one passed ..my co-worker for 40 years ... corona
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

mathjak107 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:22 am now another one passed ..my co-worker for 40 years ... corona
Holy shit. It's really hitting home now. Sorry to hear, mathjak.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

A particularly relevant Harry Browne quote for this year's disaster du jour.
The Permanent Portfolio will be safe enough to walk away from and forget about completely only if it allows for more than just the problems and hazards that are obvious today. It will have to allow for all of the unforeseeable events of the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years.
You can say that about the PP. You can say that about maybe a few other portfolio allocations. But there's an alarmingly large number of investors out there that haven't heeded this advice. We're seeing the ugly results lately.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

mathjak107 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:22 am now another one passed ..my co-worker for 40 years ... corona

Sorry to hear that. My condolences. :'(
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Hal wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:25 pm Funny how other policies are implemented during the virus.....

https://www.facebook.com/adamseconomics ... 0291107633
Who could have predicted that?
Everyone.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:20 pm Boris Johnson says that China has perhaps dozens of times more cases than claimed. I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually the case. Given the tenuous relationship between the Chinese government and the truth.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ina-2020-3
Note to Boris Johnson: Take a number.

WIth what's been going on in Spain, Italy and NYC, I am having a really hard time buying China's reported case & mortality counts. I was wondering if the virus mutated into a much more aggressive/contagious form, but it's more likely massive underreporting. Thanks a lot for the heads-up, guys. Way to be good global citizens.

(Dualstow - are you clairvoyant or what? Nice choice of analogy.)
I believe exactly nothing coming out of China.
We had better get the supply chains for pharmaceutical manufacturing and any other critical items (electronics) out of their hands.
In fact, I'd go farther and say that we should make sure we have critical manufacturing capabilities in the US, with secondary sources in utterly reliable allies (also spelled "Israel").

Absolute free trade is fine in an anarchic world. We don't live in an anarchic world.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Astrophysicist hospitalized for getting four magnets stuck in his nose while making a coronavirus device

An Australian astrophysicist put himself in the hospital last week after he got four magnets stuck up his nose while trying to invent a device to stop people from touching their faces during this pandemic.
. . .
COVID-19 has been commonly spread by close personal contact, such as shaking hands followed by touching your face, or by touching an object or surface that contains the virus, and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands. So Dr. Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at a Melbourne university, told the Guardian that he came up with the bright idea to create something to stop face touching during “a bit of boredom in isolation.”
. . .
He explained that he put a magnet inside each of his nostrils, and then attached a magnet on the outside of each nostril — but once he removed the outer magnets, the two magnets inside his nose stuck together, and refused to come out.

So then he tried to use his remaining magnets to extract them, and ended up with all four in his nose.

“At this point I ran out of magnets,” he said. link

Sure... "Daniel."

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Coming to empty theaters near you....Nasal Attraction.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Tortoise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm We may be wearing Mask as new Normal if this goes on much longer.
Things certainly seem to be moving quickly in that direction:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ics-2020-3
The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
Doesn't that top circled group include China, where for sure they wear masks?
Yes they did were masks.
I am thinking that the virus was active for at least a month before the Public in China knew what was happening.
The Communist kept people in the dark, They seem to have even punished Doctors who were sounding the Alarm.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

shekels wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 am
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Tortoise wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pm
shekels wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 pm We may be wearing Mask as new Normal if this goes on much longer.
Things certainly seem to be moving quickly in that direction:

The CDC is said to be considering asking people to cover their face in public — but would reserve masks for medical workers
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ics-2020-3
The CDC must have been stuck in traffic.
What would they say if there were enough masks to go around ?
Doesn't that top circled group include China, where for sure they wear masks?
Yes they did were masks.
I am thinking that the virus was active for at least a month before the Public in China knew what was happening.
The Communist kept people in the dark, They seem to have even punished Doctors who were sounding the Alarm.
From what I have been following
The flattening of the curve does not stop the virus.
The lock down will delay when people get exposed and or sick.
When the lock downs are removed and people go back to work, then the 2nd wave could hit.
Now it may not be a big as the 1st but if anyone has it they can expose it to the 2nd wave.
This lock down is helping the Medical System from being even more overwhelmed.
So wear a mask or don't but sooner or later I think most ALL people will be exposed.
As for me and my family, I would rather it be later when Medical facilities are more caught up.
I would like to see a Antibody test for all very soon if possible, so we can get this figured out.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

shekels wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am From what I have been following
The flattening of the curve does not stop the virus.
The lock down will delay when people get exposed and or sick.
When the lock downs are removed and people go back to work, then the 2nd wave could hit.
Now it may not be a big as the 1st but if anyone has it they can expose it to the 2nd wave.
This lock down is helping the Medical System from being even more overwhelmed.
So wear a mask or don't but sooner or later I think we will ALL be exposed.
As for me and mt family, I would rather it be later when Medical facilities are more caught up.
I would like to see a Antibody test for all very soon if possible, so we can get this figured out.
So it's kind of like smart phones. The hip people in NY and the West Coast get them first, and the rest of us wait until they patch the bug before we get it. It hardly ever pays to be an early adopter.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Coronavirus update: 883,225 cases, 44,156 deaths, Americans urged to brace for two painful weeks

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coron ... bullytweet