Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pmward » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:49 pm
pmward wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:19 pm
In a related note, I had already thought that seeing all these companies shutting down entire office buildings and making people work from home indefinitely might be a turning point where some companies see that they don't need as much big expensive office space and start thinking about ramping up remote work positions so they can close some buildings and save money.
Over the past four years, I’ve worked at two companies where my bosses and many of my teammates have worked in different geographic locations and time zones than mine, and we all often work from home.

I’ve personally found it to be a bad idea. It’s less efficient than having the whole team in the same building together. There’s really no substitute for face-to-face interactions in a team environment.

And for building rapport with colleagues and bosses, you really need frequent physical face time with nonverbal cues. It’s how human cultures evolved, so it’s in our DNA.
Haha, yeah on my team, even with only like a dozen people, that's not even possible as we have members that are spread out in 4 different locations across the country, haha. I have worked with people every day for years that I've never once met in person. Slack and Zoom help immensely.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm

An interesting tidbit: Cloroquine, the old standby drug for treating malaria, is being used with success in the treatment of CoVID-19. Which has led to speculation that plain old quinine water might be of some use. https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/commen ... available/ Any gin and tonic fans here?

On another topic, I was just washing vegetables for dinner and wonder what others here do to sanitize fresh produce. My routine during the last few weeks has been to spray with full-strength vinegar, rinse, spray with hydrogen peroxide, rinse again, dab dry, then transfer to a new plastic bag. Any opinions on whether this is sufficient? Overkill?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Coronavirus in N.Y.: 2,733 People Are Under Quarantines in City
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/nyre ... e=Homepage
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm
An interesting tidbit: Cloroquine, the old standby drug for treating malaria, is being used with success in the treatment of CoVID-19. Which has led to speculation that plain old quinine water might be of some use. https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/commen ... available/ Any gin and tonic fans here?

On another topic, I was just washing vegetables for dinner and wonder what others here do to sanitize fresh produce. My routine during the last few weeks has been to spray with full-strength vinegar, rinse, spray with hydrogen peroxide, rinse again, dab dry, then transfer to a new plastic bag. Any opinions on whether this is sufficient? Overkill?
I like gin without the tonic, especially the cocktail known as an aviation. I do like to make tonic water glow, as can be seen in its wiki page. That page also says there’s not much quinine in it these days.

produce: In the early nineties, I used to use the diluted bleach soak solution while overseas. It’s been a long time since I found food-grade bleach. The term even sounds funny now.
I have learned to thoroughly wash something if I’m going to keep the skin on and pierce it, e.g. purple potatoes.
Used to buy special produce wash, but I got lazy.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 am

Maddy wrote:
Holy cow! A quick rinse in the sink is all I've ever done. Or if it's "pre-washed" like a bag of spinach, then it goes straight into the meal.

Am I lucky to be alive?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:18 am

LOL!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:05 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 am
Maddy wrote:
Holy cow! A quick rinse in the sink is all I've ever done. Or if it's "pre-washed" like a bag of spinach, then it goes straight into the meal.

Am I lucky to be alive?
Image 3-6-20 at 11.02 AM.jpeg
Image 3-6-20 at 11.02 AM.jpeg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 24833 times
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

45,000 deaths already this year in the United States from the annual flu?

I was totally unaware of that. How aware or unaware were you of the magnitude of that stat?

I was aware that in the 60s it seems like that many people a year were getting killed in car accidents but now it's in the 30,000 range (even though far more people and far more miles driven).

During the entire VietNam War about 50,000?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

I was totally unaware of that. How aware or unaware were you of the magnitude of that stat?

I was aware that in the 60s it seems like that many people a year were getting killed in car accidents but now it's in the 30,000 range (even though far more people and far more miles driven).

Vinny
CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which are periodically revised, to make estimates.

Fatal complications from the flu can include pneumonia, stroke and heart attack.

Take that statement with whatever amount of salt you care to.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

Vinny
CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which are periodically revised, to make estimates.

Fatal complications from the flu can include pneumonia, stroke and heart attack.

Take that statement with whatever amount of salt you care to.
Per what you just wrote, this is what I am seeing there...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu.

How far back would we have to go to get to a cumulative 20,000 deaths in our country from plane crashes?

Yet a plane crash gets far more attention. And, which are people more afraid of? Dying in a plane crash or dying from the flu?

I'm still yet to get the first flu shot of my life.

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 am

Still seems to me like flu is something that pushes people who are teetering over the edge, and not much more than that. Am I wrong?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 am
Why?
Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 am
Still seems to me like flu is something that pushes people who are teetering over the edge, and not much more than that. Am I wrong?
I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but a few years ago the newspaper had a photo of a young, muscular guy who died of the flu to show that, see, you don't have to be old or enfeebled to die of the flu.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am
vnatale wrote:
Why?
My doctor advised it during my annual 2018 checkup, I said yes, expected to be flagged on my checkout to get it but was not. So did not get one then.

Did not come up in my 2019 checkup.

A few nights ago when I was at Stop & Shop I saw a sign that said flu shots still available, no appointment necessary. I had a slight pause in my mind but not in my walk on my way out.

I guess the answer in all cases is willing but not sufficient motivation unless it fits in with my life at the moment the opportunity to get it arises.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:31 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 am
dualstow wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Why?
My doctor advised it during my annual 2018 checkup, I said yes, expected to be flagged on my checkout to get it but was not. So did not get one then.

Did not come up in my 2019 checkup.

A few nights ago when I was at Stop & Shop I saw a sign that said flu shots still available, no appointment necessary. I had a slight pause in my mind but not in my walk on my way out.

I guess the answer in all cases is willing but not sufficient motivation unless it fits in with my life at the moment the opportunity to get it arises.

Vinny
And, thinking about it further, I'm oftentimes a binary person in my behaviors either all or none. No sometimes. Since I've not yet had that flu shot the switch is currently off with a lot of inertia keeping off. Once I do finally get that first one the switch will now be on so inertia and the binary personality will make getting one the norm.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:33 am

P.S. from an exhumed 2011 TIPS thread, but more appropriate here:
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:21 am
moda0306 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am
TripleB,

Being from MN, you absolutely increase your chances of "activating" the cold virus by being out in the cold for too long.

This seems to go counter to my 9th grade biology teacher telling us (55 years ago) that experiments were conducted with "people soaking wet, stark naked, in front of fans" and they did not catch colds or get sick at any greater frequency. Have subsequent experiments refuted this?

Vinny
I always thought that was a poor experiment because they probably used germ-free water. New information has come to light, although it has nothing to do with my own silly ideas:

New studies show that a cold virus can survive longer in a cold dry nose. The nose is very good at killing bugs, but performs suboptimally in cold conditions.
Btw, no medical advice here, but if you use nasal saline there are articles out there advising us to avoid a particular ingredient. Do your own due diligence on that, of course.
Ah, you're waiting until it's too late. I see.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 am

dualstow wrote:
I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but a few years ago the newspaper had a photo of a young, muscular guy who died of the flu to show that, see, you don't have to be old or enfeebled to die of the flu.
Well, it sure ain't killing 20,000 young muscular guys every year.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:33 am
P.S. from an exhumed 2011 TIPS thread, but more appropriate here:
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:21 am
moda0306 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am
TripleB,

Being from MN, you absolutely increase your chances of "activating" the cold virus by being out in the cold for too long.

This seems to go counter to my 9th grade biology teacher telling us (55 years ago) that experiments were conducted with "people soaking wet, stark naked, in front of fans" and they did not catch colds or get sick at any greater frequency. Have subsequent experiments refuted this?

Vinny
I always thought that was a poor experiment because they probably used germ-free water. New information has come to light, although it has nothing to do with my own silly ideas:

New studies show that a cold virus can survive longer in a cold dry nose. The nose is very good at killing bugs, but performs suboptimally in cold conditions.
Btw, no medical advice here, but if you use nasal saline there are articles out there advising us to avoid a particular ingredient. Do your own due diligence on that, of course.
Ah, you're waiting until it's too late. I see.
No. If in 2018 when I agreed to get it if when I was being checked out they'd told me to now go there to get your flu shot I I would have had that first ever flu shot and it would now be a part of my binary life, to be done every year for the rest of my life.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 am
dualstow wrote:
No, but this reminds of the house sign that reads:
THIS HOUSE GUARDED BY SHOTGUN 3 NIGHTS A WEEK. YOU GUESS WHICH 3.

Obvious differences, of course. Odds. The fact that the flu is contagious.
It just seems like such a simple thing to get a flu shot. I don't know why more people don't do it, but especially at Vinny's age.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm
Xan wrote:
dualstow wrote:

It just seems like such a simple thing to get a flu shot. I don't know why more people don't do it, but especially at Vinny's age.
My other background is though I turn 69 in April in my life I've yet to have a sick day or sick hour at work due to illness. I do take them for things like eye doctor appointments and dentist visits (both organizational policy and Massachusetts sick pay law). I do get sick, though, but either it's on the weekends or not enough to keep me from working. But getting colds or being sick is not a high frequency event for me.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm
Xan wrote:
dualstow wrote:

My other background is though I turn 69 in April in my life I've yet to have a sick day or sick hour at work due to illness. I do take them for things like eye doctor appointments and dentist visits (both organizational policy and Massachusetts sick pay law). I do get sick, though, but either it's on the weekends or not enough to keep me from working. But getting colds or being sick is not a high frequency event for me.

Vinny
He reports, I conclude ..... Typhoid Vinny. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 pm
Getting sick on the weekends - very efficient. O0
I know it's just folk wisdom, but the Chinese say that people who never get sick get very sick when they finally fall ill.
Well, crappy folk wisdom aside, I'm sure you're taking good care of yourself.

LOL at "Typhoid Vinny" O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Does anyone go to a public gym? What is attendance like - the same, with people being better about wiping things down? Or more sparse?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Either that, or maybe Vinny is that guy who comes in while visibly sick, and everyone else is trying to stay away from him and privately wishing he wasn't so devoted to his work.

My university med center's response so far is verging on the comical. There was a departmental meeting announced as mandatory for today, except that because of the new travel/meeting policy, no one can come. It was immediately preceded by a scheduled lecture with a larger audience than the mandatory meeting. Someone please figure that one out.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Ha! Sounds like pmward's comment about the cafeteria.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:04 pm