Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm

I was at a three day music festival this past weekend.

I only put on my mask twice...both times when entering. The second time I forgot to bring one and the Mask Nazi not only ordered me to put on a mask but to hold on to the one issued to me as they did not have an unlimited supply of them.

We were supposed to wear masks if we were near other people.

Just one of my pictures for you to judge how much compliance there was regarding that...again this is all occurring in an area of extreme LIBERAL western Massachusetts.

Today I wore a mask when:

1) Making payment for my softball team
2) Buying pizza
3) Picking up 7 gerbils at a pet shelter

Do not like wearing a mask and only do so when there is no choice. Never do it when I'm just asked to do so.

Vinny

240820560_10226576195176640_9069429507495470849_n.jpg
240820560_10226576195176640_9069429507495470849_n.jpg (223.39 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:51 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm
Picking up 7 gerbils at a pet shelter
I'm going to ask.......

Why 7, and what pet "shelter" has gerbils?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:07 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:51 pm

vnatale wrote:

Picking up 7 gerbils at a pet shelter

I'm going to ask.......

Why 7, and what pet "shelter" has gerbils?

7 is because that is all they had available I would have taken more.

I acquired 12 in June 2018. They all lived under the same conditions. I only had 4 left prior to today. They are extremely difficult to find anywhere. Prior to finding these the closest ones to me were a pair 64 miles away.

Finally...it seems that most rodents do not last past 3 years...therefore the remaining four could die at any time.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 pm

Do Republicans Actually Want the Pandemic to End?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/opin ... d=tw-share

The effect of all of this for the country is a pandemic that won’t die. The effect of it for the Republican Party is a substantial part of its base that won’t take the vaccines. According to data collected by the Kaiser Family Foundation, Republicans lag behind most of the rest of the country in vaccine uptake; 54 percent said they had received at least one dose at the time of the survey, compared with 67 percent of all adults. And the effect of this for Biden is a sharp drop in his approval rating; a Reuters poll conducted mid-month found the president down 21 points among all Americans for his handling of the pandemic.

What amounts to a Republican effort to prolong the pandemic shows no sign of abating. It may even get worse, as powerful conservative media personalities spread vaccine skepticism and embrace dubious miracle cures like ivermectin, a drug typically used to treat parasitic worms in livestock, not viruses in humans.

If Biden does not want the kind of backlash that his Democratic predecessor faced, he needs to act aggressively to push the United States off its vaccination plateau. Republicans might be setting him up to break his promise to stop Covid, but the president should understand that he’s not actually at their mercy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:01 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:58 am

Well, to make a long story short, Delia was thrilled at the surprise, but my best efforts were not fooling her. She coyly smirked and said, “nice hamster, Tommy”

GREAT story! Thanks!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 am

vnatale wrote:

3) Picking up 7 gerbils at a pet shelter
This is a very Vinny post. Vinnissimo.
I was going to make a coronavirus joke, but now that the lab leak theory dominates I think it would fall flat.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 am

Just received this in an email.

Vinny

"We have received a significant number of requests to continue publishing the COVID-19 tracker. With the Delta variant on everyone's mind as cases rise again, we are hearing more about school closings, mask mandates, potential shutdowns, vaccine mandates, vaccine effectiveness, the list goes on and on. In this week's edition we focus heavily on data from Israel because they are one of the only countries worldwide that consistently breaks down data by vaccine status, and with a lack of publicly available data on the subject from the CDC, we think their numbers offer unique insight at a time of uncertainty. The vaccines have clearly led to a lower overall level of deaths during this recent wave of Delta cases, and that represents considerable progress. However, they are not 99% effective at preventing infection or hospitalization, especially for those in high-risk categories. There are still many questions out there, and it's important to follow the data closely."
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (115.04 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (62.09 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:17 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 pm

The effect of all of this for the country is a pandemic that won’t die. The effect of it for the Republican Party is a substantial part of its base that won’t take the vaccines. According to data collected by the Kaiser Family Foundation, Republicans lag behind most of the rest of the country in vaccine uptake; 54 percent said they had received at least one dose at the time of the survey, compared with 67 percent of all adults. And the effect of this for Biden is a sharp drop in his approval rating; a Reuters poll conducted mid-month found the president down 21 points among all Americans for his handling of the pandemic.

What amounts to a Republican effort to prolong the pandemic shows no sign of abating. It may even get worse, as powerful conservative media personalities spread vaccine skepticism and embrace dubious miracle cures like ivermectin, a drug typically used to treat parasitic worms in livestock, not viruses in humans.

If Biden does not want the kind of backlash that his Democratic predecessor faced, he needs to act aggressively to push the United States off its vaccination plateau. Republicans might be setting him up to break his promise to stop Covid, but the president should understand that he’s not actually at their mercy.
Don't have a NYT subscription so am just reading the part posted above. Yes, I can probably read a few articles without paying but what I see here hardly passes for decent journalism. This falls into the category of evil plots which don't hold much water if one is out in the real world talking to a broad cross section of people. Sure, many Republicans want Biden out of the White House ASAP but that is nothing new. I believe for the most part people are just doing what they feel is right when it comes to the vaccine. The biggest "hesitancy" I come across here in CT is from young people, many of whom seem to have more or less similar stances to Mark Leavy... that is that they trust their immune systems to handle the fight against this virus.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:35 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:17 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 pm

Don't have a NYT subscription so am just reading the part posted above. Yes, I can probably read a few articles without paying but what I see here hardly passes for decent journalism. This falls into the category of evil plots which don't hold much water if one is out in the real world talking to a broad cross section of people. Sure, many Republicans want Biden out of the White House ASAP but that is nothing new. I believe for the most part people are just doing what they feel is right when it comes to the vaccine. The biggest "hesitancy" I come across here in CT is from young people, many of whom seem to have more or less similar stances to Mark Leavy... that is that they trust their immune systems to handle the fight against this virus.
It is an interesting dichotomy isn't it? You would tend to target Democrats as being the constituency that are the most concerned about eating "whole" foods without chemicals and more likely to lean on natural or holistic foods and medicines. But in this instance they are trusting artificial immunity instead of natural immunity.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:41 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:35 pm

It is an interesting dichotomy isn't it? You would tend to target Democrats as being the constituency that are the most concerned about eating "whole" foods without chemicals and more likely to lean on natural or holistic foods and medicines. But in this instance they are trusting artificial immunity instead of natural immunity.

Though I am not a Democrat what you describe above does describe me. And, I find no inconsistency in that. When I got my first tick bite I gladly accepted and took my antibiotic prescription.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:27 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:17 am

1. Those were the concluding three paragraphs.
2. The author:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (10.82 KiB) Viewed 5550 times

Are Opinion Columnists also considered journalists?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:50 am

How Covid data gaps allowed Delta to proliferate

Eighteen months into the pandemic, Louisiana and more than 20 other states are still trying to fill key gaps in data while fighting the most aggressive version yet of the virus.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/0 ... ant-508530

By August, Louisiana had recorded 14,000 breakthrough infections. But the CDC, with its narrower tracking, counted only 8,000 hospitalized breakthrough cases nationwide.

The agency is still reviewing data from the subset of states participating in its study looking at all breakthrough infections, not just those that have been hospitalized. The results could help states better understand whether they need to change their policies on issues like masks and social distancing to safeguard their residents in the coming months.

In the meantime, Sokol said her team is doing their best to find new ways to improve its data collection efforts with children back in schools, more offices reopening, and the possibility than new and dangerous variants will emerge.

While the CDC has begun to dole out millions of dollars to help states better their staffing and data collection, health officials in Louisiana and elsewhere say the improvements require more money and will take years to implement.

For now, Louisiana’s health officials are dedicated to keeping residents of the state informed about any important changes in how the coronavirus is behaving. But they and other states are limited by deep flaws in the country’s public health infrastructure that make it hard or even impossible to collect accurate and reliable Covid-19 data.

“We know how important it is to have the right information and be able to do that as quickly as possible,” Mendoza said. “But there's always going to be a trade-off between how rapidly we can report and the accuracy of the information that we report.”
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:43 pm

I don't think this pandemic is ever actually going to end. Viruses mutate. That's what they do. New strains will proliferate faster than new iPhone versions every year. And of course, the ones that actually propagate are the hardy ones that resist the effects of inoculation. I think we're likely looking at annual shots like for the flu.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:43 pm
I don't think this pandemic is ever actually going to end. Viruses mutate. That's what they do. New strains will proliferate faster than new iPhone versions every year. And of course, the ones that actually propagate are the hardy ones that resist the effects of inoculation. I think we're likely looking at annual shots like for the flu.
That kind of IS the pandemic ending. Did you know that Woodstock took place during an influenza pandemic? That particular flu is still with us: it's just one of many strains that circulate around. The transition to endemic is the end of the pandemic.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:54 pm

Already here in Vancouver I was seeing fewer and fewer people wearing masks. I would go to the gym and i'd be in the minority of people still wearing one.

And then you know what happened? The government issued another mandate that masks must be worn in indoor public spaces. ::)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:13 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

!!!!!!

Such wit!!! Those like myself, who have none, can still appreciate those who have it in abundance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:13 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
!!!!!!

Such wit!!! Those like myself, who have none, can still appreciate those who have it in abundance.
Hahahaha vinny you are too kind!! O0
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:47 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
That kind of IS the pandemic ending. Did you know that Woodstock took place during an influenza pandemic? That particular flu is still with us: it's just one of many strains that circulate around. The transition to endemic is the end of the pandemic.
The virus is already endemic, and in truth it hasn't been a pandemic since spring of 2020 - it's been a "casedemic" since then. So that's not the question. The question is, when do we decide to treat it like we do all the other risks of being a living human?

I'm rather surprised you mentioned the Hong Kong flu, Xan. That is a shining example of a society that got through a nasty virus without trashing the economy, education, society etc - it's the antithesis of the COVID response, in fact. Because people had a more mature outlook then and had much less expectation that the government will wrap everyone in a protective bubble so that nothing bad will ever happen.

Until the US comes to the same realization, the COVID response will never end. It has nothing to do with the actual virus, which is really only minimally disruptive at this point. The whole thing about full ICUs....it's just as laughable now as it was last year. You all DO know that hospitals are designed for full ICUs, right? Because spare capacity detracts from the bottom line. And that the main issue is not lack of space, it's lack of staffing because of ongoing lockdowns, enhanced unemployment, fear-mongering etc. If you can't staff a bed, the bed cannot be used even if it's physically present.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am

Glorious…

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 72737?s=21

College football is back!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:51 am

I was at the 11 hour outdoor music festival in "Live Free of Die" New Hampshire yesterday.

There was some mask wearing. More than I would have thought in New Hampshire compared to what I saw at the three day festival in Massachusetts last weekend.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (49.39 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Watched the Florida-ND game last night, and listening to the announcers and portions of other news shows related to Covid...it sure seems that for the most part people have thrown in the towel on gathering rules and regulations. No masks, packed football stadiums across America, and this time, more like an oh well, we gotta figure out how to live with it attitude.

The most places have been able to push without much pushback is to wear them indoors and in schools. We literally get 1-3x a day Covid 19 positive case notifications from the high school (~2000 kids). But the text is "This letter is to inform you that an individual at Buffalo Grove High School has tested positive for COVID-19. The individual was last in the building on 9-2-21. Individuals who are fully vaccinated and remain asymptomatic are not required to quarantine. "

I can live with that for now.

When you see curves like this (Kentucky), that would have brought the hammer down 9 months ago, but now, barely a whimper, do you all who think the man is still using this as control really is?

I understand there are outlier situations like for Jalalong, but I am in blue IL with little concern.

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:54 pm

I saw this chart in an article that is now behind a paywall so I won't bother with the link. The point of the article is that there is no pattern to be recognized between blue states/red states, strict lockdown states, anti-lockdown states or any other measurement when it comes to fighting COVID. Politicians and many news people (is there a difference) will obviously tell us a different story because that's just what they do.

D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:56 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:54 pm
I saw this chart in an article that is now behind a paywall so I won't bother with the link. The point of the article is that there is no pattern to be recognized between blue states/red states, strict lockdown states, anti-lockdown states or any other measurement when it comes to fighting COVID. Politicians and many news people (is there a difference) will obviously tell us a different story because that's just what they do.

That chart is already somewhat out of date.

Mississippi has passed NY in total deaths per 100K population and likely will pass NJ in a few weeks or less.

Louisiana is already increasing its distance ahead of Mass and is nipping at NY's heels in total deaths per 100K; it may well pass it soon.

Also, the states that got hit early (NY and NJ and several others) recorded most of their deaths (so far) in 2020 during the time frame late February '20 to early summer '20. There was no vaccine then for them (or anyone else). In contrast, in states like Alabama, Arizona, Mississippi, Louisiana,and Arkansas have had more than half their deaths AFTER mid-Dec 2020 (i.e. when the vaccines first started being distributed); SD is roughly half and half split over these periods in terms of deaths as is Michigan. Having people in your state die of COVID when there is no vaccine (i.e. no way to prevent it) is sad and tragic; having people in your state die when there is a vaccine (which is free and easy to get) is not only tragic but kind of pathetic....it'd be like if Pearl Harbor got bombed again in December 1942 and December 1943 because we had chosen to do nothing to stop Japan after the first time they attacked us.

PS - Georgia is shown in red on the chart you posted; it was traditionally a red (i.e. Republican leaning) state but went for Biden and now has two Dem Senators (if I had to guess why it is red I would assume that the color is used as a party identifier of a state's governor and/or legislature and not its vote at the Federal level). There really should be "purple" on your chart for states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona, and Wisconsin id they were going by 2020 POTUS votes and Senate votes.

For a county-level trend since delta started being the big problem; see Image . This breaks it down more granularly than by state (esp since some states as above are more purple than pure blue or red); it gives county vote percentage for Trump vs COVID deaths per 100K population since 7-1-21. Keep in mind that the vast majority of deaths in any state or county by this point would've been prevented had people gotten one of the easily available vaccines.

I live in Georgia and actually both my Representative in the US House (Ferguson) and governor (Kemp) have strongly encouraged people to get vaccinated (i.e. they are Republicans but they aren't MTG types) and have even done PSAs online to this effect. We just have a hardcore rump minority (and yes, in all fairness it is a minority of them....a bare majority--or pretty close by now--of Republicans.....at least in Georgia; I can't speak for the other sates as I haven't seen polling for them......have either already been vaccinated, have one shot and are waiting for the second, or plan to be vaccinated starting soon) of R voters in this state and others (mostly in the South, Southwest, and Midwest) who refuse to get vaccinated no matter what and thus seem bound and determined to suffer the consequences of getting COVID rather than take the vaccine.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Watched the Florida-ND game last night, and listening to the announcers and portions of other news shows related to Covid...it sure seems that for the most part people have thrown in the towel on gathering rules and regulations. No masks, packed football stadiums across America, and this time, more like an oh well, we gotta figure out how to live with it attitude.
This is a positive (heh) development, IMO. Even for non-sports people.
The most places have been able to push without much pushback is to wear them indoors and in schools. We literally get 1-3x a day Covid 19 positive case notifications from the high school (~2000 kids). But the text is "This letter is to inform you that an individual at Buffalo Grove High School has tested positive for COVID-19. The individual was last in the building on 9-2-21. Individuals who are fully vaccinated and remain asymptomatic are not required to quarantine. "

I can live with that for now.
I can live with all that school stuff too. It's so easy when it doesn't affect you ;D ;D ;D ;D My workplace has a mask mandate as well, but we just... disregard it unless certain people are around. And quarantining from work is just a work-from-home hall pass, which is cool. That said, it's hilarious hearing people still invoke COVID as much as they can in order to work from home, or get a free pass to be a fucking bitch at work.
When you see curves like this (Kentucky), that would have brought the hammer down 9 months ago, but now, barely a whimper, do you all who think the man is still using this as control really is?
A while ago, IIRC Vinny posted some story or opinion about how many current-day humans would have been Nazis if they had lived in those special decades in Germany. I think we're seeing a non-hypothetical situation playing out right now that demonstrates that a lot of people have sleeper Nazi-like authoritarian tendencies, I think Australia is a clear example. American politicians seem to be trying to leverage the rona into every piece of politics they can, with the most egregious example being the CDC declaring that landlords can't evict people. Then, even after it's unconstitutionality was determined, they tried to do it again.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.