Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:24 am

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:57 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:54 am
Is it a reasonable assumption that if a child is less susceptible to Covid because their immune system is optimal, then they would be less susceptible to side effects or reactions to the vaccine for the same reason?
That seems reasonable to me or at least logical
Mark L. left one factor out of his analysis. I will call it Mama Bear factor.
Do not underestimate the protective instincts of a Mom. If there is one in your house and the trusted family pediatrician recommends the vaccine, and Mom believes it will make her child even a tiny bit safer, good luck with all the statistical cost/benefit arguments in the world.
Not all Moms will take this position, but the one in my house has made hers clear.
Some family men have to make their own cost/benefit calculation and consider quality of life.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:28 pm

No offense, but there are other options here. Like grow a pair and lead with strength like men should. Or better yet, don't get married. YMMV
Shall I get your martini, pipe and slippers darling? ;)
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:32 pm

MangoMan wrote:
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:24 am

Mark L. left one factor out of his analysis. I will call it Mama Bear factor.
Do not underestimate the protective instincts of a Mom. If there is one in your house and the trusted family pediatrician recommends the vaccine, and Mom believes it will make her child even a tiny bit safer, good luck with all the statistical cost/benefit arguments in the world.
Not all Moms will take this position, but the one in my house has made hers clear.
Some family men have to make their own cost/benefit calculation and consider quality of life.
No offense, but there are other options here. Like grow a pair and lead with strength like men should. Or better yet, don't get married. YMMV
Thank you for that. Both constructive and enlightened. A two-fer.

No offense, but your attitude bears an echo to the attitude of a bunch of bearded guys celebrating the reclamation of their country right now. Leading with strength like men should.

Believe it or not, there's an alternate universe where mutual respect can be a form of strength, but do whatever works for you, macho man.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:46 am

On a lighter note...

Australia makes it onto the Alex Jones show ::)
https://www.sgtreport.com/2021/08/austr ... the-world/

No Gay Frogs down here :-X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVrntKgdN0
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:15 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:32 pm
MangoMan wrote:

No offense, but your attitude bears an echo to the attitude of a bunch of bearded guys celebrating the reclamation of their country right now. Leading with strength like men should.

Believe it or not, there's an alternate universe where mutual respect can be a form of strength, but do whatever works for you, macho man.
I guess we just have a different perspective. I am hardly what you would call macho. For goodness sake, I'm a dentist not a lumberjack. I treat all women with dignity and respect, but I never let them tell me what I can and can't do. Women like a leader with strong male characteristics, in spite of what toxic feminists and soyboys tell you. If more families had strong male role models it would go a long way toward a more healthy society. Again, no offense was intended.

Fixed your avatar for you
pug-lg.png
pug-lg.png (29.02 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
jswinner

Post by jswinner » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:23 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:54 am
Is it a reasonable assumption that if a child is less susceptible to Covid because their immune system is optimal, then they would be less susceptible to side effects or reactions to the vaccine for the same reason?
How could that NOT be the case?
Optimal? No, just young. But there are theories why this might be so such as:

"One theory is that because children have young immune systems, and they do not develop the very aggressive immune response known as a cytokine "storm that adults form when they get the virus. It is that intense reaction to the virus that helps perpetuate damage in the lungs and other organ systems, often irreversibly harming adult patients. https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/c ... -affected/

And this: "The study reveals children’s lungs don’t make a lot of a certain protein called ACE2. This protein, which appears in much higher amounts in adult lungs, is exploited by the SARS-CoV-2 virus to infect cells. Less ACE2 means less cells with viruses inside. Children also have more T-cells in their lungs — the cells that fight viruses. These cells come with proteins called IL-10, which makes sure inflammation doesn’t get out of control and damage other cells". https://www.uth.edu/news/story.htm?id=b ... 11c0344614

But there are implications even in cases of minimal or no symptoms: https://www.chop.edu/news/chop-research ... sars-cov-2
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:43 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:15 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:32 pm
MangoMan wrote:

I guess we just have a different perspective. I am hardly what you would call macho. For goodness sake, I'm a dentist not a lumberjack. I treat all women with dignity and respect, but I never let them tell me what I can and can't do. Women like a leader with strong male characteristics, in spite of what toxic feminists and soyboys tell you. If more families had strong male role models it would go a long way toward a more healthy society. Again, no offense was intended.

Fixed your avatar for you

pug-lg.png
:D :D :D
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Nicely done pug and glennd…that was a hilarious exchange.

It’s only appropriate in this thread that my LOL fired up a coughing spurt…but it was worth it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:59 pm

I believe earlier in the thread there was a discussion about how Florida had gone past previous peaks, and there was talk about how the data was misrepresented as 7 day totals more recently vs. single day totals prior, or something like that, and discounted. This graph below is 7 day averages for the entire time period.

For sure, something seems worse with delta? Otherwise what?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/us/f ... eaths.html

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:59 pm
And a much higher number of Floridians in the ICU for Covid than at any point in the last year according to Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/hospit ... nd/florida
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:57 pm

barrett wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:40 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:59 pm
And a much higher number of Floridians in the ICU for Covid than at any point in the last year according to Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/hospit ... nd/florida
This is another discussion that I took at face value a while back and agreed with without any research -- that hospitals purposely try to run at 80/90+% capacity for bottom line reasons. Not I have to ask, is that true? Most large states in these JH charts seem to run 50-70% when not flooded with Covid. Hell, Alabama is currently showing at 100% capacity!

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:39 am

So I guess in 14 months nothing has really changed. My local sports radio is advertising pretty much every event as being in a "Covid-safe environment" and most of the hosts still haven't been to a movie theater or restaurant in over a year.

I asked this a year ago but didn't really receive a response other than vaccines will be ready. So I will ask again: what is the end game of all of this? Masks, distancing, staying at home...all of it seems to be in an effort to not contract the virus. So are these people prepared to do this forever? Do they really believe they are never, ever going to be exposed to this virus in the next 50 years of their life? Or are these people that believe it will go away if we hide from it long enough?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:39 am
So I guess in 14 months nothing has really changed. My local sports radio is advertising pretty much every event as being in a "Covid-safe environment" and most of the hosts still haven't been to a movie theater or restaurant in over a year.

I asked this a year ago but didn't really receive a response other than vaccines will be ready. So I will ask again: what is the end game of all of this? Masks, distancing, staying at home...all of it seems to be in an effort to not contract the virus. So are these people prepared to do this forever? Do they really believe they are never, ever going to be exposed to this virus in the next 50 years of their life? Or are these people that believe it will go away if we hide from it long enough?
This is a sinusoid that will dampen over time. You see the current peak is near previous peaks where the entire economy was basically shut down. We now have the vaccine, and we are nowhere near the talk and actions that were happening last year with shutdowns and such.

Yes, there will likely be people scared of this forever.

But we are already seeing a much more muted response to the latest peak than previous.

For example, the one game a year we go to at Notre Dame is full capacity.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am

I watched a bit of the US Open tennis tournament last night and was thinking similar thoughts. This event always happens the first couple of weeks of September. Last year the tournament was played in completely empty venues IIRC. This year, despite positive tests (nationally) being up by a factor of four compared to a year ago, and daily Covid deaths being marginally higher, there are lots of folks in the stands even for these early matches. It was announced back in June that fans would be at 100% capacity and that's what I am expecting to see later in the tournament.

Not an expert on this but it seems a turning point for sports may have been during the NBA playoffs when arenas went from a couple of thousand fans to being totally packed within days. And I noted at the time that I wasn't seeing any stories about those games being "super-spreader events".

Some folks will always get totally dug in on a position and never change, but most people seem to be able to adapt the way they think.

My two cents.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am

barrett wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am
I watched a bit of the US Open tennis tournament last night and was thinking similar thoughts. This event always happens the first couple of weeks of September. Last year the tournament was played in completely empty venues IIRC. This year, despite positive tests (nationally) being up by a factor of four compared to a year ago, and daily Covid deaths being marginally higher, there are lots of folks in the stands even for these early matches. It was announced back in June that fans would be at 100% capacity and that's what I am expecting to see later in the tournament.

Not an expert on this but it seems a turning point for sports may have been during the NBA playoffs when arenas went from a couple of thousand fans to being totally packed within days. And I noted at the time that I wasn't seeing any stories about those games being "super-spreader events".

Some folks will always get totally dug in on a position and never change, but most people seem to be able to adapt the way they think.

My two cents.
It is a weird disconnect to me because I am seeing videos and photos of sporting events and music festivals with thousands of people, mostly unmasked. However, in my local town most movie theaters are still playing to an audience of 5-10 people per showing. Public pools which are usually packed are virtually empty. Local restaurants which are usually packed are completely empty inside with only takeout and delivery gathering any customers. The local schools have gone back to as close to lockdown as they can with cancellation of all indoor events, all virtual meetings, no parents allowed in the school for any reason etc. I saw a customer at the grocery store last night who had a tube of Lysol wipes and was wiping down every single item she touched from top to bottom before putting it into her cart. I thought that after a year and a half people would know that Covid does not spread by touching surfaces or items that have the virus on it. I guess all of that leads me to believe that the progress made over the last 17 months has been pretty minimal.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:15 am

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am

It is a weird disconnect to me because I am seeing videos and photos of sporting events and music festivals with thousands of people, mostly unmasked. However, in my local town most movie theaters are still playing to an audience of 5-10 people per showing. Public pools which are usually packed are virtually empty. Local restaurants which are usually packed are completely empty inside with only takeout and delivery gathering any customers. The local schools have gone back to as close to lockdown as they can with cancellation of all indoor events, all virtual meetings, no parents allowed in the school for any reason etc. I saw a customer at the grocery store last night who had a tube of Lysol wipes and was wiping down every single item she touched from top to bottom before putting it into her cart. I thought that after a year and a half people would know that Covid does not spread by touching surfaces or items that have the virus on it. I guess all of that leads me to believe that the progress made over the last 17 months has been pretty minimal.
Strange.

Packed first marching band show at the high school. Open House for parents at school, packed. Restaurants packed. Beach Boys concert, packed. All in Illinois....

I sort of understand the movie theaters -- I cannot remember a show in the last 10 years that we've gone to that has had more than a handful of people. I think Netflix and the like started destroying them years ago and Covid was a near final nail.

I don't understand your schools, nor the Lysol lady!

Up until this latest indoor mask mandate that started yesterday, other than 25-75% of people being masked indoors (depending on the store) I would say we were basically back to normal. Even now, with masks again, I would say things are pretty normal.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:50 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:15 am
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am

Strange.

Packed first marching band show at the high school. Open House for parents at school, packed. Restaurants packed. Beach Boys concert, packed. All in Illinois....

I sort of understand the movie theaters -- I cannot remember a show in the last 10 years that we've gone to that has had more than a handful of people. I think Netflix and the like started destroying them years ago and Covid was a near final nail.

I don't understand your schools, nor the Lysol lady!

Up until this latest indoor mask mandate that started yesterday, other than 25-75% of people being masked indoors (depending on the store) I would say we were basically back to normal. Even now, with masks again, I would say things are pretty normal.
Oh yeah I forgot my veterinarian is once again back to nobody allowed inside. They come out to your car and get your dog or cat and take them in and they tell you via phone how it went. They had finally opened up in June, months after everything else had been opened. And then they closed back down a few weeks ago.

I would say the weekend before the CDC announced the new mask guidelines in early Aug things were almost completely back to normal here. Once that happened and the Covid news cycle started again it went on a slippery slope back to what we had in 2020 sans school closures and lockdowns.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:49 pm

jalanlong, would you mind sharing what part of the country you are in? Small town? A tendency toward one political persuasion or the other?

I am in central CT. I traveled a lot in the Northeast with my wife this summer and masking/social distancing behavior seemed to vary quite a lot from place to place. Up thread you were talking about radio hosts who hadn't been to live events since the pandemic started. I have to believe that folks who have staked out opinions publicly, have a harder time changing them than people who are trying to just work this stuff out more or less in private.

And for sure our own lenses color some of what we see. For example, two years ago Lysol Lady may have already been the local germaphobe.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:01 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:48 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:39 am

I thought somebody already posted this here, but maybe it was from another source. Anyway, it answers your question.

goalposts (1).png
IMG_2224.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG (36.18 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm

barrett wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:49 pm
jalanlong, would you mind sharing what part of the country you are in? Small town? A tendency toward one political persuasion or the other?

I am in central CT. I traveled a lot in the Northeast with my wife this summer and masking/social distancing behavior seemed to vary quite a lot from place to place. Up thread you were talking about radio hosts who hadn't been to live events since the pandemic started. I have to believe that folks who have staked out opinions publicly, have a harder time changing them than people who are trying to just work this stuff out more or less in private.

And for sure our own lenses color some of what we see. For example, two years ago Lysol Lady may have already been the local germaphobe.
I am in North Dallas in a town which historically has been pretty conservative but has changed quite a bit in recent years due to an influx of Californians amongst other things. So I would say politically it is 50/50 at best right now.

You are correct, I knew germaphobes before Covid. I can't say as I ever saw people wiping down everything they touched though. I went to a "health" food store the other day. I quote "health" because the people inside did not look at that healthy to me. Anyway, the cashier had a bottle of green disinfectant spray and paper towels next to her (she was wearing gloves as well). After every single customer walked away she would tell the next one in line to wait while she sprayed the green stuff and wiped down the entire area...conveyor belt, credit card swiper, everything. Who knows how many paper towels she went thru in an entire shift.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:35 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:48 pm

I thought somebody already posted this here, but maybe it was from another source. Anyway, it answers your question.

goalposts (1).png
Tortoise posted it a few pages back.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:49 pm

I’ll comment on the poster, things evolve/change. Inherently we all know that. Let’s take flatten the curve and 70% vaccination. During the first there was no vaccine, now there is. Yes, the goal post was moved and should’ve been moved.

When does it end? We don’t know. The virus is going to do what it is going to do.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:10 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:28 pm
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm
Who knows how many paper towels she went thru in an entire shift.
Liberals' brains are going to explode a year from now when they realize pushing all the masks has made them the earth's largest single pollutant.
I was listening to a Libertarian podcast today and they brought up an interesting point I hadn't thought of: That traditionally liberals think of conservatives as being very narrow and square in their thinking. For example, if a person uses illegal drugs or comes across the border illegally, the conservative says "throw them in jail because they broke the law" without any nuanced thinking about the circumstances that led to the act etc.

However, on Covid, liberals have lost that sense of nuance and have become as rigid on that subject as they claim that conservatives have always been. Those subset of citizens, the types that shop at Whole Foods to buy organic food and consider themselves very well-rounded holistic thinkers have turned into "just wear a mask" with no thought that this thing not only covers up your two main breathing orifices but is also your main mode of expression to the outside world as well as a large part of people's self-identity. Shouldn't the more artsy type of liberal also understand that a restaurant or bar is more than just a place to chug beer and wings, but is very important sociologically as a meeting place for people to gather and share time and experiences like humans have always done over the dinner table for eons? But they have brought none of that to the table. In their arguments for constant distancing/masks/shutdowns they have driven off of the high road to which they have always held claim.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:56 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:09 pm
I am in North Dallas in a town which historically has been pretty conservative but has changed quite a bit in recent years due to an influx of Californians amongst other things. So I would say politically it is 50/50 at best right now.
For what it's worth, I live in a blue city in the bluest state (CA) in the US, and although about half of customers -- and nearly all employees -- still wear masks in stores, the habit of obsessively spraying and wiping down surfaces in between customers went away earlier this year. And most people, even the masked ones, seem not to care about distancing anymore. Progress of a sort, I guess.
jalanlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:10 pm
[...] [a mask] not only covers up your two main breathing orifices but is also your main mode of expression to the outside world as well as a large part of people's self-identity.
Yeah, I'm disappointed that mask-wearing seems to have become a possibly permanent standard for nearly all staff in the stores and restaurants in my area.

Remember "service with a smile"? Well, you can't see smiles when people are masked. And it makes a difference.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 pm

"Nuance" I think is the active word in your post.

I consider myself a liberal on a ton of social issues. But I've always thought things have been too heavy handed with lockdowns, masks, etc.

So painting liberals or conservatives as having specific mindsets and positions on Covid in general I think is not correct. I put myself out there as a perfect example. First guy to rip my mask off at Costco back a few months ago when we could.