Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:46 pm
ATTN: Kriegsspiel:
Till Lindemann is in an ICU. He’s got coronavirus.
That's fake news.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/ramms ... oronavirus
I’m glad to hear it.
That is good to hear, but it's true that we're all going to die at some point.
Seems like all know who this "Till Lindermann" is? A few minutes ago reading it in this forum is the first I've ever encountered the name.

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Seems like all know who this "Till Lindermann" is? A few minutes ago reading it in this forum is the first I've ever encountered the name.
I didn't know the name. Had to look it up. But I'm definitely familiar with his band (Rammstein), so once I saw that he's their lead singer it immediately clicked.
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm
As I was listening the second time around and each phrase and sentence, I kept saying to myself, you have limited time, you could have cut that out and you could have cut that out also. You are loudly proclaiming to me that you have no concept of time management. And, that. of course, triggers in me that she is probably also terrible at money management.
Absolutely. If she can't even prioritize what she wants to say, how can she prioritize her state's needs, issues, and finances?

Fail.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm
I didn't know the name. Had to look it up. But I'm definitely familiar with his band (Rammstein), so once I saw that he's their lead singer it immediately clicked.
vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm
As I was listening the second time around and each phrase and sentence, I kept saying to myself, you have limited time, you could have cut that out and you could have cut that out also. You are loudly proclaiming to me that you have no concept of time management. And, that. of course, triggers in me that she is probably also terrible at money management.
Absolutely. If she can't even prioritize what she wants to say, how can she prioritize her state's needs, issues, and finances?

Fail.
Never had prior seen that band's name either!

For all Bernie's followers I try to tell those supporters that being president is a real job, getting things done. It's not just running around giving speeches whenever one is moved to do so. I guess the Bernie crowd must have voted her in.

I watch C-Span a lot but generally DO NOT watch when the actual sessions of the House or the Senate. Way too boring and stilted.

I chose to watch today because if felt like I was watching history in the making.

The last time I really remember watching a session was all the debates / speeches in the runup to the Iraq War of 2003.

But I don't remember ever seeing a performance like hers today!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 pm

I was once again reminded of this quote from John Boehner
We’ve got some of the smartest people in America who serve in the Congress, and we’ve got some of the dumbest. We have some of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet, and some that are Nazis. Congress is nothing more than a slice of America.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 pm

How many of you have read Tetlock's "Superforecasting"?

Here they are on the virus:

https://goodjudgment.io/covid/dashboard/

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 pm
How many of you have read Tetlock's "Superforecasting"?

Here they are on the virus:

https://goodjudgment.io/covid/dashboard/

Vinny
I read it a few years ago. IIRC they are usually pretty accurate.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am

Mystery In Wuhan: Recovered Coronavirus Patients Test Negative ... Then Positive
March 27, 20209:28 AM ET
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... n-positive
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:18 am

A peasant custom from a couple hundred years ago is the secret to defeating the Wuhan.
Economists and bureaucrats who ventured out into the countryside after the [French] Revolution were horrified to find that the work force disappeared between fall and spring. The fields were deserted from Flanders to Provence. Villages and even small towns were silent, with barely a column of smoke to reveal a human presence. As soon as the weather turned cold, people all over France shut themselves away and practiced the forgotten art of doing nothing at all for months on end.
In the mountains, the tradition of seasonal sloth was ancient and pervasive. “Seven months of winter, five months of hell,” they said in the Alps. When the “hell” of unremitting toil was over, the human beings settled in with their cows and pigs. They lowered their metabolic rate to prevent hunger from exhausting supplies. If someone died during the seven months of winter, the corpse was stored on the roof under a blanket of snow until spring thawed the ground, allowing a grave to be dug and a priest to reach the village.
Apartment building roofs may get a bit crowded, but this is good stuff. They will have to procure some farm animals.

Think it's only a solution in places that get cold?' YOU ARE SO WRONG
In Burgundy, after the wine harvest, the workers burned the vine stocks, repaired their tools and left the land to the wolves. A civil servant who investigated the region’s economic activity in 1844 found that he was almost the only living presence in the landscape: “These vigorous men will now spend their days in bed, packing their bodies tightly together in order to stay warm and to eat less food. They weaken themselves deliberately.”
government officials complained that farmers were “abandoning themselves to dumb idleness,” instead of undertaking “some peaceful and sedentary industry.” Income acted only as a deterrent. The people of Beaucaire on the Rhône made enough money at their summer fair to spend the rest of the year “smoking, playing cards, hunting and sleeping.”
Original EREsters.
no one is proposing a return to the five-month year. But perhaps there are lessons to be learned from those hibernating ancestors who shared their homes with heat-producing herbivores.

In September, at the General Assembly of the United Nations, President Sarkozy proposed “un New Deal écologique et économique,” but without explaining how economic growth can be reconciled with conservation. If he is serious about saving the planet, and if he wants to reassure the unions that workers will still have time with their families, he should consider introducing tax incentives for hibernation. The long-term benefits of reduced energy consumption would counterbalance the economic loss. There has never been a better time to stay in bed. link
This article was ahead of its time.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:18 am
A peasant custom from a couple hundred years ago is the secret to defeating the Wuhan.
Economists and bureaucrats who ventured out into the countryside after the [French] Revolution were horrified to find that the work force disappeared between fall and spring. The fields were deserted from Flanders to Provence. Villages and even small towns were silent, with barely a column of smoke to reveal a human presence. As soon as the weather turned cold, people all over France shut themselves away and practiced the forgotten art of doing nothing at all for months on end.
In the mountains, the tradition of seasonal sloth was ancient and pervasive. “Seven months of winter, five months of hell,” they said in the Alps. When the “hell” of unremitting toil was over, the human beings settled in with their cows and pigs. They lowered their metabolic rate to prevent hunger from exhausting supplies. If someone died during the seven months of winter, the corpse was stored on the roof under a blanket of snow until spring thawed the ground, allowing a grave to be dug and a priest to reach the village.
Apartment building roofs may get a bit crowded, but this is good stuff. They will have to procure some farm animals.

Think it's only a solution in places that get cold?' YOU ARE SO WRONG
In Burgundy, after the wine harvest, the workers burned the vine stocks, repaired their tools and left the land to the wolves. A civil servant who investigated the region’s economic activity in 1844 found that he was almost the only living presence in the landscape: “These vigorous men will now spend their days in bed, packing their bodies tightly together in order to stay warm and to eat less food. They weaken themselves deliberately.”
government officials complained that farmers were “abandoning themselves to dumb idleness,” instead of undertaking “some peaceful and sedentary industry.” Income acted only as a deterrent. The people of Beaucaire on the Rhône made enough money at their summer fair to spend the rest of the year “smoking, playing cards, hunting and sleeping.”
Original EREsters.
no one is proposing a return to the five-month year. But perhaps there are lessons to be learned from those hibernating ancestors who shared their homes with heat-producing herbivores.

In September, at the General Assembly of the United Nations, President Sarkozy proposed “un New Deal écologique et économique,” but without explaining how economic growth can be reconciled with conservation. If he is serious about saving the planet, and if he wants to reassure the unions that workers will still have time with their families, he should consider introducing tax incentives for hibernation. The long-term benefits of reduced energy consumption would counterbalance the economic loss. There has never been a better time to stay in bed. link
This article was ahead of its time.

Kriegs, Is this fact or fake news, truth or just a spiel? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:01 am

The guy is a French literature critic; I think we can safely take him at his word and not question anything he says.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:52 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 am
That sounds like a commentary more on confiscatory tax rates than a hibernation cycle of sloth. Of course, in those days, you had no Netflix to pass the time so there wasn't much else to do but lay in bed.
And wait 9 months for the harvest. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:01 am
The guy is a French literature critic; I think we can safely take him at his word and not question anything he says.
I was waiting for you to comment on the first and last words of my reply. Are you into the sauce already? Or focusing on spacist astroholes? ;D ;D ;D ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 am

MangoMan wrote:
Of course, in those days, you had no Netflix to pass the time so there wasn't much else to do but lay in bed.
Netfleas.
Not as much fun.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 am
MangoMan wrote:
Of course, in those days, you had no Netflix to pass the time so there wasn't much else to do but lay in bed.
Netfleas.
Not as much fun.
;D That scratches today’s itch for a good joke.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 am

Strange trend in NYC case reporting...

Yesterday, both the state and the mayor's office reported over 5,000 new cases, and this morning they reported 3100 new cases. Sounds horrific, BUT:

The total case numbers do not add up. These were: March 26 (2 days ago) - 21,873, March 27 (yesterday) 25,573, and today it's 26,697. If you do the math, the actual # new cases is 3700 for yesterday, and 1124 this AM (presumably since sometime last night). I thought initially it was due to variations in the specific 24 hour period used to count daily cases, but two days in a row like this? Getting weird.

These are big numbers, but if MY figures are correct, the downward trend I've noticed since March 22 is continuing. In other words, NYC is already past its peak. This is consistent with my hospital's broadcast this AM reporting that the number of COVID cases in house has decreased, i.e. they discharged more people with COVID than were admitted. (didn't give numbers though.)

We will see if the trend continues! although it's possible that the case incidence won't show a single peak, because there may be multiple waves. Of course, many other places in the US are now in the explosive-increase phase, so US numbers overall will probably not peak for some time yet.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:16 am

Yeah there is some discrepancy I've noticed here in the AZ numbers as well. From what I can gather it's that some sources (like the AZDHS) are only reporting the CDC test positives, and others are reporting both CDC and private testing facility positives. I'm not sure if something like that is going on in NY as well?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:59 am

If it weren't for this crisis, I wouldn't have learned so many interesting things about the W.H.O. For example, they are China's b*tch and they hate Israel. Just two of the many amazing facts out there.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am

Yesterday marked a turning point for me, at which time I am now >50% inclined to believe that this is a contrived crisis. The revelation that enormous caches of PPE supplies have been held back (not by ordinary citizens, but by "stakeholders," so to speak), was just the latest in a parade of paradoxes and nonsequiturs that can no longer be rationally explained by incompetence.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15 am

Maddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am
Yesterday marked a turning point for me, at which time I am now >50% inclined to believe that this is a contrived crisis. The revelation that enormous caches of PPE supplies have been held back (not by ordinary citizens, but by "stakeholders," so to speak), was just the latest in a parade of paradoxes and nonsequiturs that can no longer be rationally explained by incompetence.
Sorry, Maddy, but it's not contrived. I can believe that companies might have either forgotten about their PPE caches, or just not have been willing to hand them over until recently. FWIW, a friend of mine is saying the same thing, about this being all a political construct aimed at manipulating elections.

Here's an email I got just this morning from a former student of mine who is an anesthesiology resident in the city. Details redacted to protect anonymity.
Currently, [the] hospital = a big COVID cave. On Thursday they moved all pediatric patients to [another hospital]. All pediatric wards have been converted into COVID units. NICU, however, can not move because OB is still active, so ... premature babies live next to COVID patients (I just hope babies do not have ACE so they would be somehow immune ...). There are almost no non-COVID patients in the hospital anymore ...

Stay safe ~~ and I really wish you won't be reassigned anywhere ... especially to Queens ... my colleagues who are reassigned there said it is like hell there ... patients dying on the hallway ...
I'm REALLY glad if the daily new cases continue to trend down like I've been seeing, but I expect hospitals may still see increases in COVID cases for a while. It sounds like it would be hard to accommodate more. There are 2000 more beds that are supposed to come online by Monday (field hospitals plus the ship) but I understand those are only for non-COVID cases.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:59 am
If it weren't for this crisis, I wouldn't have learned so many interesting things about the W.H.O. For example, they are China's b*tch and they hate Israel. Just two of the many amazing facts out there.
Why would they hate Israel? Some of the best med-tech and pharma-tech comes out of there.
I know, and I'm sure that drives them nuts.

btw: 'Trump Is Right About the Coronavirus. The WHO Is Wrong,' Says Israeli Expert
Dr. Dan Yamin has developed models for predicting the spread of infectious diseases, and helped curb the Ebola epidemic. He says the coronavirus could take some 13,000 lives in Israel – but there's cause for optimism
“The actual number of people who are sick with the virus in South Korea is at least double what’s being reported, so the chance of dying is at least twice as low, standing at about 0.45 percent – very far from the World Health Organization’s [global mortality] figure of 3.4 percent. And that’s already a reason for cautious optimism.”
Granted this is from 7 days ago.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.pr ... -1.8691031
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15 am
Maddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am
Sorry, Maddy, but it's not contrived. I can believe that companies might have either forgotten about their PPE caches, or just not have been willing to hand them over until recently. FWIW, a friend of mine is saying the same thing, about this being all a political construct aimed at manipulating elections.
In retrospect, "contrived" was a poor choice of words. I don't deny that hospitals are overwhelmed, but I do question what brought us to this point and what interests were being advanced by having a nation on lock-down and the world economy at a virtual standstill. So perhaps the term "engineered crisis" would have been better.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 pm

What or who would this being engineered help out?

I apparently have swallowed the blue pill, because again, I have intelligent colleagues who are saying this is all some kind of cover to round up all the pedophiles in the world without having riots. Some group of patriot generals are running this. I’ve heard for the first time words like adrenochrome. Some satanic pedophile cult, that even the pope is part of. The mercy ships going to NY and CA will be the method to round these people up and bring them to Guantanamo.

And you can’t believe any of the news sources or people who debunk this stuff because they are controlled by this pedophile group. So you either believe or you are wrong.

And when none of this happens, they’ll just change the date to sometime in the future and try again.

The human mind is so open to conspiracies, it is amazing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 pm
I apparently have swallowed the blue pill, because again, I have intelligent colleagues who are saying this is all some kind of cover to round up all the pedophiles in the world without having riots.
I still have the t-shirt from my last pro-pedophile riot.

:P
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

I apparently have swallowed the blue pill, because again, I have intelligent colleagues who are saying this is all some kind of cover to round up all the pedophiles in the world without having riots. Some group of patriot generals are running this. I’ve heard for the first time words like adrenochrome. Some satanic pedophile cult, that even the pope is part of. The mercy ships going to NY and CA will be the method to round these people up and bring them to Guantanamo.

And you can’t believe any of the news sources or people who debunk this stuff because they are controlled by this pedophile group. So you either believe or you are wrong.

And when none of this happens, they’ll just change the date to sometime in the future and try again.

J U S T .... WOW!
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

Q Followers..
This is a coup to bring the Treasonous individuals to justice who tried to overthrow a Duly Elected President.

Also I am hearing that it was cover for the Treasury to nationalize the Central Bank (Fed).

But just think, the Conspiracies may be cover for something else entirely.
Red pill and Blue pill your choice.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯