Anyone Else Prepping?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Anyone Else Prepping?

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm It's funny that I'm more worried about people panicking and hoarding than I am about catching the virus itself.
I assume you’re not really talking about hoarding but about people getting grabby in the aisles.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm I’d have to buy one of those portable bidets then.
So glad I just put one in! Although I haven't seen any shortages of toilet paper around here. I suppose I should go check later.

I got an Amazon basics one (nonelectric), installed it myself a couple Saturdays ago, and it works great. As long as you don't mind cold water, of course. If you're interested in getting one, PM me first.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am
Tortoise wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm It's funny that I'm more worried about people panicking and hoarding than I am about catching the virus itself.
I assume you’re not really talking about hoarding but about people getting grabby in the aisles.
My wife tells me my butt is pretty nice, so if people get grabby in the aisles, I can't really blame them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am
dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm I’d have to buy one of those portable bidets then.
So glad I just put one in! Although I haven't seen any shortages of toilet paper around here. I suppose I should go check later.

I got an Amazon basics one (nonelectric), installed it myself a couple Saturdays ago, and it works great. As long as you don't mind cold water, of course. If you're interested in getting one, PM me first.
Thanks. A good friend has one and recommended it. Unfortunately, we have a tank that’s hidden in the wall. Looks cool, but there are no pipes where we could install one. It would have to be one of those portable refillable wands. I’m glad yours is working out!

Ha, Tortoise! O0
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 am So glad I just put one in! Although I haven't seen any shortages of toilet paper around here. I suppose I should go check later.

Okay, I'll ask the question nobody else will ask: Is there soap involved? And in the case of females, what prevents that spray from spreading cooties from one orifice to another?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am
dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 am
WiseOne wrote:So glad I just put one in! Although I haven't seen any shortages of toilet paper around here. I suppose I should go check later]

Okay, I'll ask the question nobody else will ask: Is there soap involved? And in the case of females, what prevents that spray from spreading cooties from one orifice to another?
I always imagined I’d fill my wand with Dr Bronners eucalyptus or rose.
WiseOne?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am
dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 am So glad I just put one in! Although I haven't seen any shortages of toilet paper around here. I suppose I should go check later.

We have a fancy bidet bought at Costco (https://www.costco.com/brondell-swash-c ... 91056.html).
It doesn't use soap. As for the spray, you can select where you want it to go.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

flyingpylon wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:26 am For anyone willing to give auto racing a shot, the IndyCar Grand Prix of St Petersburg will take place (without spectators) on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm Eastern.
Oops, nevermind... canceled. :'(
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Would be interesting indeed if my coop had Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus soap running from the pipes, but nope, it's just good old city water.

Maddy: think about cleaning your fence or patio with a pressure hose and you'll get the idea. Cross contamination is actually less of an issue than it is using good ol' t.p.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am We have a fancy bidet bought at Costco (https://www.costco.com/brondell-swash-c ... 91056.html).
It doesn't use soap. As for the spray, you can select where you want it to go.
That *is* fancy! That’s like the Ferrari of bidets.
Now I feel left out that I will just have one of those wands that people with RVs use. But... I can put soap in it.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 am One of the things I did many years ago was to begin printing out "how to" articles from the internet on various self-sufficiency topics. My library of articles, at this point, consumes two full shelves of 3-inch binders, each organized by subject. They address everything from how to snare small game to tapping a spring, safely composting toilet waste, filtering and purifying water, preserving food, building a rocket stove, rigging up emergency power and lighting, etc. If the internet goes down, I'll have a resource to go to. Think about it: If the internet went dark and the municipal water supply stopped, would you remember how much bleach to add to a gallon of roof water before it is safe to drink?

Two of my three-inch binders are labeled "NBC," meaning "nuclear," "biological," and "chemical." To me, this is one of the most important prep items people ought to think about having.
Maddy, you bring back memories - remember the "On the Beach" movie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSkbNq3XCFg
https://2015.acmi.net.au/acmi-channel/2 ... the-beach/
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 am Maddy: think about cleaning your fence or patio with a pressure hose.
Yikes. . .I think I'll pass. . . :o
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Decided on my lunch break to go do some additional stocking on food. Holy crap the grocery store was a mad house. Not only completely sold out of TP, tissues, napkins, etc but getting pretty close to sold out on most popular packaged and frozen foods as well as meats. Lines were like 20 people deep. It was pretty crazy. But I now have about a months worth of food and supplies (aside from Kleenex, which I'm just going to get on Amazon) so I'm ready to hunker down and lay low for a few weeks.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, not only is it kind of late, but everyone’s home from the office and free to shop. O0
We tried to go to Trader Joe’s this morning and the line was outside. Not as bad as Xmas, but i’m not going to stand there while someone coughs on my neck. We left.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Yeah and scratch the Kleenex on Amazon thing. I checked just this morning and they still had some reasonably priced tissues available, so I figures, "oh I can see if the store has some and if not this can be my backup." Well it turned out all the Kleenex on amazon has been arbitraged. They are all listed for like 5x the regular price now, just a couple short hours later. And... here in Phoenix allergy season is starting to really pick up...
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 am Maddy: think about cleaning your fence or patio with a pressure hose.
Yikes. . .I think I'll pass. . . :o
No, it's actually very nice. I'm sure the "pressure hose" terminology was for dramatic effect.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

pmward wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:27 pm Yeah and scratch the Kleenex on Amazon thing. I checked just this morning and they still had some reasonably priced tissues available, so I figures, "oh I can see if the store has some and if not this can be my backup." Well it turned out all the Kleenex on amazon has been arbitraged. They are all listed for like 5x the regular price now, just a couple short hours later. And... here in Phoenix allergy season is starting to really pick up...
How about this? https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Dirt-Bamboo-F ... 92&sr=8-13
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm No, it's actually very nice. I'm sure the "pressure hose" terminology was for dramatic effect.
I dunno, I'm picturing water all over the bathroom, then having to don a hazmat suit and rubber gloves to clean up the mess. I think I'd rather go outside and use a garden hose. If it came to that. With soap. Lots of soap.
Last edited by Maddy on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

I have 24 rolls of Costco toilet paper I am looking to swap for a 3 bedroom house
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm No, it's actually very nice. I'm sure the "pressure hose" terminology was for dramatic effect.
I dunno, I'm picturing water all over the bathroom, then having to don a hazmat suit and rubber gloves to clean up the mess. I think I'd rather go outside and use a garden hose. If it came to that. With soap. Lots of soap.
No, it's really very civilized. I can tell you if it were the way you are imagining it, my wife wouldn't like it at all.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

With basic supplies dwindling, I'm hearing about people beginning to make their own hand sanitizer, a product that has become especially sought-after and especially difficult to find. I thought of this while searching the stores in town this morning for isopropyl alcohol, the main ingredient in hand sanitizer. There simply wasn't any. Anywhere. So I headed on over to the hardware store and found a one-quart can of "denatured alcohol." I couldn't quite remember what denatured alcohol was, and lacking my reading glasses, I bought a can on the advice of the clerk who informed me that it was "pretty much" the same as drugstore alcohol. I was feeling pretty smug that I had outsmarted the Walmart schlubs who had cleaned out the first aid aisle. After returning home, I proceeded to look it up on the internet and found that denatured alcohol is industrial-grade ethyl alcohol spiked with any one of several poisons (usually 10%) intended to prevent people from drinking it. The concern, it seems, is that would-be consumers might--gasp--escape the payment of liquor taxes. In its infinite wisdom, the government has decided that making people go blind should serve this deterrent purpose. Well, it seems that even putting the stuff on your skin can cause big problems, which made me recall the headline earlier this week about some children being burned by a homemade hand sanitizer. (I don't know if denatured alcohol was the culprit in that case, but it's very possible.) So considering that denatured alcohol is all that's left on the shelves, and that people are resorting to DIY hand sanitizer recipes, it seems likely that we're going to see some tragic mishaps. But, hey, at least the tax man will get his due.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm With basic supplies dwindling, I'm hearing about people beginning to make their own hand sanitizer, a product that has become especially sought-after and especially difficult to find. I thought of this while searching the stores in town this morning for isopropyl alcohol, the main ingredient in hand sanitizer. There simply wasn't any. Anywhere. So I headed on over to the hardware store and found a one-quart can of "denatured alcohol." I couldn't quite remember what denatured alcohol was, and lacking my reading glasses, I bought a can on the advice of the clerk who informed me that it was "pretty much" the same as drugstore alcohol. I was feeling pretty smug that I had outsmarted the Walmart schlubs who had cleaned out the first aid aisle. After returning home, I proceeded to look it up on the internet and found that denatured alcohol is industrial-grade ethyl alcohol spiked with any one of several poisons (usually 10%) intended to prevent people from drinking it. The concern, it seems, is that would-be consumers might--gasp--escape the payment of liquor taxes. In its infinite wisdom, the government has decided that making people go blind should serve this deterrent purpose. Well, it seems that even putting the stuff on your skin can cause big problems, which made me recall the headline earlier this week about some children being burned by a homemade hand sanitizer. (I don't know if denatured alcohol was the culprit in that case, but it's very possible.) So considering that denatured alcohol is all that's left on the shelves, and that people are resorting to DIY hand sanitizer recipes, it seems likely that we're going to see some tragic mishaps. But, hey, at least the tax man will get his due.
Taxation is theft... and murder.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

mathjak107 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 pm I have 24 rolls of Costco toilet paper I am looking to swap for a 3 bedroom house
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Maddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm With basic supplies dwindling, I'm hearing about people beginning to make their own hand sanitizer, a product that has become especially sought-after and especially difficult to find. I thought of this while searching the stores in town this morning for isopropyl alcohol, the main ingredient in hand sanitizer. There simply wasn't any. Anywhere. So I headed on over to the hardware store and found a one-quart can of "denatured alcohol." I couldn't quite remember what denatured alcohol was, and lacking my reading glasses, I bought a can on the advice of the clerk who informed me that it was "pretty much" the same as drugstore alcohol. I was feeling pretty smug that I had outsmarted the Walmart schlubs who had cleaned out the first aid aisle. After returning home, I proceeded to look it up on the internet and found that denatured alcohol is industrial-grade ethyl alcohol spiked with any one of several poisons (usually 10%) intended to prevent people from drinking it. The concern, it seems, is that would-be consumers might--gasp--escape the payment of liquor taxes. In its infinite wisdom, the government has decided that making people go blind should serve this deterrent purpose. Well, it seems that even putting the stuff on your skin can cause big problems, which made me recall the headline earlier this week about some children being burned by a homemade hand sanitizer. (I don't know if denatured alcohol was the culprit in that case, but it's very possible.) So considering that denatured alcohol is all that's left on the shelves, and that people are resorting to DIY hand sanitizer recipes, it seems likely that we're going to see some tragic mishaps. But, hey, at least the tax man will get his due.
Here are some "safe" products to use: https://news.yahoo.com/common-household ... 49369.html

These Common Household Products Can Destroy the Novel Coronavirus

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I have a weird question: what happens to viruses when you wash your hands? Not with sanitizer. I mean if you mechanically remove them by scrubbing with soap and water.

It goes down the drain and then...deactivates because it can’t find a host? Disintegrates in the treatment plant?