Forum Members with COVID-19

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum Members with COVID-19

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 pm

People get fooled because they read that advantage plans have to cover what govt medicare does ...but that is only true in a broad sense not specific case ....

When course of treatment is challenged by your for profit gate keeper , ultimately they have the say ...you can’t prove what medicare would have allowed or done in your case since you don’t have medicare
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 pm
Most of healthcare in the US works off monopolistic practice and market leverage, whether we're talking pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, insurers, dialysis providers, large lab providers. I know the government sucks in every respect, but the alternative, which in the US is the private for-profit healthcare system, is a complete blood sport.
Isn't it the government that contributes to it being that way?
How so?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:40 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 pm
Most of healthcare in the US works off monopolistic practice and market leverage, whether we're talking pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, insurers, dialysis providers, large lab providers. I know the government sucks in every respect, but the alternative, which in the US is the private for-profit healthcare system, is a complete blood sport.
Isn't it the government that contributes to it being that way?
How so?
The government creates the framework of laws and regulations that allows these companies to operate the way they do. It doesn’t just happen organically.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 am

It is actually lack of proper laws and regulations that creates a lot of the situation
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 am
It is actually lack of proper laws and regulations that creates a lot of the situation
Whether it's the existence of laws you don't like or the absence of laws you do, the constant is that our government doesn't always serve the interests of its people.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:01 am

Politicians serve themselves .... no party serves us anymore
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:24 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Whether it's the existence of laws you don't like or the absence of laws you do, the constant is that our government doesn't always serve the interests of its people.

Well neither do the large corporations whose duty is to themselves and their stockholders, not the patients. Perhaps to some neither is worse than the other in the context of the health care industry, just two alternate forms of poison from which to pick. Even if you happen to hate one option more, it doesn't necessarily make the other option "good".
Do you agree?
Last edited by glennds on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:01 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:24 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am
mathjak107 wrote:

Well neither do the large corporations whose duty is to themselves and their stockholders, not the patients. Perhaps to some neither is worse than the other in the context of the health care industry, just two alternate forms of poison from which to pick. Even if you happen to hate one option more, it doesn't necessarily make the other option "good".
Do you agree?
I agree with the basic statement, but it’s a false dichotomy. The situation is typically positioned as government vs corporations, when in reality it’s government + corporations that have gotten us to where we are today. Together they often stifle innovation and competition to preserve the status quo. Given the nature of our government, applying more of it doesn’t seem like a solution.

I don’t claim to have the answer, which I realize is unusual behavior in an Internet forum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:53 am

Feel better soon, KBG
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:29 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:53 am
Feel better soon, KBG
Dualstow, that is the best avatar this forum has ever seen.

And damn it, now I’m hungry!!!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:34 am

Really? Not a lot of thought went into it. O0
I tend to use a lot of cheeeseburger and pizza avatars. They’ll be back, taking your mind off of more complicated things.

I’m digging the TaliPug these days.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:39 pm

I just got my results.

IgG Covid19 Antibody
Your Value
Positive

It won't be COVID-19 that kills me.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:45 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:39 pm
I just got my results.

IgG Covid19 Antibody
Your Value
Positive

They didn't give you a number? My wife works in a medical testing lab and they did antibody testing after the required vaccinations. Everybody got a number. Hers was 6, a friend was over 100, but most people were zero. No idea what it means but I assume zero would translate to negative.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:11 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:39 pm
I just got my results.

IgG Covid19 Antibody
Your Value
Positive

For what it's worth, my brother got a positive result on a Covid antibody test last year around April/May (I think the test was just +/- and didn't report a number), so he chose not to get vaxxed since he assumed he was naturally immune. Then, a few weeks ago, he got Covid and felt so sick that he went to the hospital (wasn't admitted; was just sent home with Tylenol).

I suspect either (a) his positive antibody test result from last year was borderline, so his immunity wasn't very strong, or (b) he got sick because a new variant (delta?) made it past whatever Covid immunity he may have had.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Mine was a rapid so no number.

I already knew answer due to known consistent exposure and some symptoms.

I just wanted for my records really.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:56 pm

I did second quantitative test. I did have vaccine shot 5 months ago. I had two negative pcr test after week of knowing exposed. Symptoms I assume related were mild.

SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quant Total Ab
>2500.0

Antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein receptor binding
domain (RBD) were detected. It is yet undetermined what level of
antibody to SARS-CoV-2 spike protein correlates to immunity against
developing symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 disease. Studies are underway to
measure the quantitative levels of specific SARS-CoV-2 antibodies
following vaccination. Such studies will provide valuable insights
into the correlation between protection from vaccination and
antibody levels.

SARS-CoV-2 Spike Ab Interp
Positive
Roche Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm

Thank you, Whatchamacallit.

How are you feeling?
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm
Thank you, Whatchamacallit.

How are you feeling?
I guess feeling blessed for having whole household exposed with minimal effect. Some people are obviously not so lucky.

Symptoms wise, completely well.

I would recommend at least a dose of the vaccine if you are over 30 and haven't already had the virus.

Personal experience. No way young kids need vaccine.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:24 am

Last week I worked a full week and have been on pretty strenuous mountain bike rides the past two Fridays...so I think I'm at 98% pre-covid. I'd say 100% but I have this weird continuing mild cough and random energy crashes. Hopefully they will also pass with some more time.

I'm hoping to make this one of my last covid posts because it is a topic I'm thoroughly sick of...but for the record; I think even if you are healthy but over say 40-45, you're nuts if you don't get vaccinated. There have been not a few people where I live in their 40s who have died from it with no pre-existing conditions other than non-vaccinated. We even had two Apple News headlines...two mothers in their 40s each with several children died. With the delta variant it seems to be a total roll of the genetic dice. Why take the risk of dying over something like this?

My wife and I are both in our 50s and both vaxxed. She's had zero covid anything. Lucky me got what I described earlier. I will say there were a couple of nice side benefits. I'm down 15lbs and broke a serious Diet Coke addiction.

Peace, out.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:22 am

Kbg wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:24 am

Last week I worked a full week and have been on pretty strenuous mountain bike rides the past two Fridays...so I think I'm at 98% pre-covid. I'd say 100% but I have this weird continuing mild cough and random energy crashes. Hopefully they will also pass with some more time.

I'm hoping to make this one of my last covid posts because it is a topic I'm thoroughly sick of...but for the record; I think even if you are healthy but over say 40-45, you're nuts if you don't get vaccinated. There have been not a few people where I live in their 40s who have died from it with no pre-existing conditions other than non-vaccinated. We even had two Apple News headlines...two mothers in their 40s each with several children died. With the delta variant it seems to be a total roll of the genetic dice. Why take the risk of dying over something like this?

My wife and I are both in our 50s and both vaxxed. She's had zero covid anything. Lucky me got what I described earlier. I will say there were a couple of nice side benefits. I'm down 15lbs and broke a serious Diet Coke addiction.

Peace, out.

Keep us informed if you maintain that weight loss or whether it comes back slowly or quickly....
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:08 am

10 from not eating during Covid, 5 more since. Being as sick as I was was a health wake up call. I’ve got the typical 50s man gut, otherwise no other health issues. Mainly just doing calorie/portion control.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 pm

This from Dr Zelenko's website. He's an anti-vaxxer but still sees the great danger from Covid. According to him, anyone contracting Covid over the age of 45 has a 5-10% mortality rate!

"High Risk Patients: Patients are considered high risk if they are over the age of 45, or if they are younger than 45 but they have comorbidities, that is, they have other health conditions that put them at risk. These patients have between a 5 to 10% mortality rate if they are infected with Covid-19."

https://covid19.onedaymd.com/2021/03/qu ... t.html?m=1
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Don wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 pm
This from Dr Zelenko's website. He's an anti-vaxxer but still sees the great danger from Covid. According to him, anyone contracting Covid over the age of 45 has a 5-10% mortality rate!

"High Risk Patients: Patients are considered high risk if they are over the age of 45, or if they are younger than 45 but they have comorbidities, that is, they have other health conditions that put them at risk. These patients have between a 5 to 10% mortality rate if they are infected with Covid-19."

Aren't the official numbers something like 10-15% mortality even for 80+ year olds? Does he think that number is massively underestimated? Based on what?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm
Don wrote:

Aren't the official numbers something like 10-15% mortality even for 80+ year olds? Does he think that number is massively underestimated? Based on what?
Age is a proxy for bad health. The numbers would be more useful if the % mortality were referenced to BMI or VO2max.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:20 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 pm
Xan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm
Don wrote:

Age is a proxy for bad health. The numbers would be more useful if the % mortality were referenced to BMI or VO2max.
Isn't the mortality rate for an 85 year old already 10% without covid?