New paper from GB basically confirming what Denninger said

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New paper from GB basically confirming what Denninger said

Post by Tortoise »

I quickly skimmed the paper but didn't get a good sense of the practical differences between mitigation and suppression. It sounds like they both involve social distancing and quarantining infected people and their families.

Do you happen to have a TL;DR for the difference between mitigation and suppression?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Two fundamental strategies are possible: (a) mitigation, which focuses on slowing but not necessarily
stopping epidemic spread – reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of
severe disease from infection, and (b) suppression, which aims to reverse epidemic growth, reducing
case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely. Each policy has major
challenges. We find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases,
home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the
elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and
deaths by half. However, the resulting mitigated epidemic would still likely result in hundreds of
thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many
times over. For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option.
We show that in the UK and US context, suppression will minimally require a combination of social
distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family
members. This may need to be supplemented by school and university closures, ....
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

So what I read is that mitigation is the basic common sense stuff, and suppression adds the mass closings and prohibitions of gatherings.

And that said strategy will have to be done until a vaccine is available. Widely quoted to be at least 18 months.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

So my question is, given all of the mitigation and suppression in place and going forward, shouldn't we soon have a decent handle on counting the cases and quarantining them? Like in a week or two from now?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Even in that passage you quoted, “minimal suppression” sounds exactly the same as mitigation.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm So my question is, given all of the mitigation and suppression in place and going forward, shouldn't we soon have a decent handle on counting the cases and quarantining them? Like in a week or two from now?
From everything I can tell, in a week the health care system in the US will be overwhelmed.
Don't get sick or injured.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm So my question is, given all of the mitigation and suppression in place and going forward, shouldn't we soon have a decent handle on counting the cases and quarantining them? Like in a week or two from now?
From everything I can tell, in a week the health care system in the US will be overwhelmed.
I’d take the opposite bet. Namely that a week from now, the system will be coping well with it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:57 pm
I’d take the opposite bet. Namely that a week from now, the system will be coping well with it.
I certainly hope you are right. I just don't see how that's possible.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

You were the first person who came to mind when a few hours ago I was working outside barefoot in my garden and I stepped on something that hurt the bottom of my foot.

As soon as I felt the pain, I said to myself, "Now what did Libertarian666 tell you??!!"

Luckily it was nothing serious and pain went away fairly quickly.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:55 pm Even in that passage you quoted, “minimal suppression” sounds exactly the same as mitigation.
Second.

Both of these articles are your basic fear-mongering. For starters, it won't be "hundreds of thousands" of deaths. Figuring based on the number of deaths in China vs. their population, this is going to be something on the order of 2x the deaths from a normal flu year. Yes, that will be a big stress test for hospitals. But, hospitals are preparing for what they know is coming, and I can't see things getting that out of control.

It is true that if you have a non-serious medical issue in the next several months, you're going to have to wait. And "non-serious" means from the medical standpoint, not necessarily yours. It'll actually be interesting to see how many procedures and tests ordered for defensive, money-making, or please-the-customer reasons will go right out the window, with likely no negative effects. Maybe even positive effects, because procedures and tests always carry risk.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm
You were the first person who came to mind when a few hours ago I was working outside barefoot in my garden and I stepped on something that hurt the bottom of my foot.

As soon as I felt the pain, I said to myself, "Now what did Libertarian666 tell you??!!"

Vinny
DON'T GO OUTSIDE BAREFOOT!!!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:14 pm
Tortoise wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:55 pm Even in that passage you quoted, “minimal suppression” sounds exactly the same as mitigation.
Second.

Both of these articles are your basic fear-mongering. For starters, it won't be "hundreds of thousands" of deaths. Figuring based on the number of deaths in China vs. their population, this is going to be something on the order of 2x the deaths from a normal flu year. Yes, that will be a big stress test for hospitals. But, hospitals are preparing for what they know is coming, and I can't see things getting that out of control.

It is true that if you have a non-serious medical issue in the next several months, you're going to have to wait. And "non-serious" means from the medical standpoint, not necessarily yours. It'll actually be interesting to see how many procedures and tests ordered for defensive, money-making, or please-the-customer reasons will go right out the window, with likely no negative effects. Maybe even positive effects, because procedures and tests always carry risk.
Of course I would be very happy to be wrong: as happy as if I had won the lottery.
And I believe it has about the same likelihood, unfortunately.
Which considering I don't buy lottery tickets, is not very high.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:20 pm DON'T GO OUTSIDE BAREFOOT!!!
Paging Mark Leavy...
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Going barefoot is a really good way to get a hookworm infection.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm Different view:

https://www.hoover.org/research/coronav ... t-pandemic
Thank you for posting that. It's good to see a sober and non-hyperbolic analysis to contrast with the clickbait.

One of the dangers of people spreading a bunch of scary contagion models is that most people don't understand that a model is only as good as the assumptions and inputs. Just because something looks scientific does not mean that it accurately models the real world, and I can guarantee that many of the stuff getting press is full of crap inputs and assumptions. Not because these people are dumb. But simply because even the experts are still learning new things every day and modeling things with so many variables is really freaking hard.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:39 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 pm
WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:14 pm
Second.

Of course I would be very happy to be wrong: as happy as if I had won the lottery.
And I believe it has about the same likelihood, unfortunately.
Which considering I don't buy lottery tickets, is not very high.
Says the guy who was certain Y2K was going to be TEOTWAWKI. :D
I wasn't certain. I just couldn't tell how bad it was likely to be, so I prepared the best I could for an unknown outcome.

Interestingly enough, those preparations, notably being in a house that can be independent of utilities, finally seem to be worthwhile.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Tyler wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm Different view:

https://www.hoover.org/research/coronav ... t-pandemic
Thank you for posting that. It's good to see a sober and non-hyperbolic analysis to contrast with the clickbait.

One of the dangers of people spreading a bunch of scary contagion models is that most people don't understand that a model is only as good as the assumptions and inputs. Just because something looks scientific does not mean that it accurately models the real world, and I can guarantee that many of the stuff getting press is full of crap inputs and assumptions. Not because these people are dumb. But simply because even the experts are still learning new things every day and modeling things with so many variables is really freaking hard.
When someone looks at data that shows a fairly smooth exponential growth and predicts that the incidence will grow exponentially, that's not really a big stretch.

Of course I hope you and Epstein are right.

I just don't see it in the data.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:20 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Vinny
DON'T GO OUTSIDE BAREFOOT!!!
I MAY wear my sandals just for you! Of course, really for my ultimate benefit.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 pm
Paging Mark Leavy...
Yea. I'm definitely staying away from shoes now. The only time I ever trip or stumble is if I have some damn thing on my foot. I was in an all day board meeting today (video conference). On the patio outside my hotel room - barefoot and with a nice suit. I love video conferencing. I did wear pants though.

Safety first.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pm
Paging Mark Leavy...
Yea. I'm definitely staying away from shoes now. The only time I ever trip or stumble is if I have some damn thing on my foot. I was in an all day board meeting today (video conference). On the patio outside my hotel room - barefoot and with a nice suit. I love video conferencing. I did wear pants though.

Safety first.
About the longest time that I'm wearing shoes is for softball or basketball. When home, whether inside or outside, it's usually nothing on my feet. And, when in the office, shoes or sandals are the first thing to come off when I get there.

Vinny
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 am
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Paging Mark Leavy...

Safety first.
About the longest time that I'm wearing shoes is for softball or basketball. When home, whether inside or outside, it's usually nothing on my feet. And, when in the office, shoes or sandals are the first thing to come off when I get there.

Vinny
That is me, as well. My GF is always asking if I'm cold. No, but if I have shoes on, I'm hot. And uncomfortable.
now that's just weird... i am the same, never wear socks unless in winter boots, and bare foot every minute i am not required to wear shoes...
i wonder if there is something about the permanent portfolio that attracts bare foot investors??
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:58 pm When someone looks at data that shows a fairly smooth exponential growth and predicts that the incidence will grow exponentially, that's not really a big stretch.

Of course I hope you and Epstein are right.

I just don't see it in the data.
Exponential growth that doesn't account for active countermeasures is just a math exercise and not a realistic model.

The endgame is the emerging news that testing is ramping up and several existing drugs appear highly effective in treating the virus. So sooner or later anyone sick will get tested and receive immediate treatment that (fingers crossed) appears to eliminate the virus in a matter of days. That will drastically improve things and allow life to start to resume while buying time for the vaccine to be developed to manage it long-term.

Of course I could be wrong and we could be looking at a very different scenario. But my point is that possibilities like this aren't in the model. ;)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

l82start wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:49 am
MangoMan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:45 am
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:52 pm
Paging Mark Leavy...

Safety first.

Vinny
That is me, as well. My GF is always asking if I'm cold. No, but if I have shoes on, I'm hot. And uncomfortable.
now that's just weird... i am the same, never wear socks unless in winter boots, and bare foot every minute i am not required to wear shoes...
i wonder if there is something about the permanent portfolio that attracts bare foot investors??
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny