Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:20 pm
Many things in the world would have been different if not for the American Revolution. Top of the list is the relationship between Britain and her colonies. I don't think we can reliably play "what if" in that regard.

Don't know if you read the column but here is one of its paragraphs:

"Many Americans believe that liberty was gained through our national independence, and, without it, ours would not be a free nation at all. Of course, this is faulty thinking. At the time in 1776, Europe was rife with the idea of the Enlightenment and egalitarian yearnings for change. With the teachings of Rousseau, Locke and many other philosophers who advocated universal liberty and equality, the American colonies would have eventually become constitutional-liberal nations, pretty much like Canada today. Our untamed pursuit of individual freedom and its everyman-for-himself savagery of life would not have become the very millstone that is drowning us today. Very certainly, there would be no Trumpism."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Xan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:20 pm Many things in the world would have been different if not for the American Revolution. Top of the list is the relationship between Britain and her colonies. I don't think we can reliably play "what if" in that regard.
We can reliably predict that National Treasure would have had a different plot. O0
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Riiight the canadian gov that used the War Measures act against the middle class freedom convoy when they got tired of house arrest and forced vaccination

But we learned things, like despite Australia having good systems like ranked choice voting, they still went authoritarian. And Japan didnt force masking. . .because they didnt need to, everyone conformed. Culture matters

Should I feel bad, for smirking a lil while r/canada squeals every day about inflation caused by the lockdowns they begged for

edit1: its interesting that Leftist twitter users have ukraine flags in their profiles, and Rightists have American flags.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Chicken McNuggets dipped in honey are straight fire.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I’ve decided to write my own book on investing. More details to come soon!
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Checking in.
So…I bought a new monitor to go with a new mac mini that I was going to buy in fall.
It arrived today and — sign o’ the times — the box was open, tape melted, and the delivery guy knocked and ran. That’s actually a step up: he bothered to knock!

I’d like to test it before 30 days are up of course, but I can’t get it to connect to anything in the house.
Tried wife’s Windows laptop. Nope.
DVD player. Nope. Different physical plug.
Current Mac mini (2012) Nope.

In each case, either it won’t plug in at all, or it says “USB-C” not detected. My computers don’t recognize it, and it recognizes nothing. It does turn on.

The thing has HDMI, but everything in the house is an older HDMI except perhaps the new TV.

USB-C to USB-C: not detected
USB-C to generic/old USB: not detected

Should I just bite the bullet and get a new Mac mini this month? And let it get melty during the ride in the hot UPS truck?
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:57 pm I’ve decided to write my own book on investing. More details to come soon!
Cool! Make sure to put in a sprinkling of jokes. (I know you will).
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Maybe the monitor has a problem. Return it. Buy Mac mini and monitor from Costco (if they have them) or Apple at same time. Good service is worth every cent.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:50 pm Maybe the monitor has a problem. Return it. Buy Mac mini and monitor from Costco (if they have them) or Apple at same time. Good service is worth every cent.
Since the monitor turns on, I’m willing to try more testing. I’m going through the documentation.
Mountaineer, don’t you miss the old days? You put the needle on the record and it plays.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:55 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:50 pm Maybe the monitor has a problem. Return it. Buy Mac mini and monitor from Costco (if they have them) or Apple at same time. Good service is worth every cent.
Since the monitor turns on, I’m willing to try more testing. I’m going through the documentation.
Mountaineer, don’t you miss the old days? You put the needle on the record and it plays.
🤣🤣🤣. Yes! PS You meant gramophone with the big trumpet right? 😉
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:52 pm Checking in.
So…I bought a new monitor to go with a new mac mini that I was going to buy in fall.
It arrived today and — sign o’ the times — the box was open, tape melted, and the delivery guy knocked and ran. That’s actually a step up: he bothered to knock!

I’d like to test it before 30 days are up of course, but I can’t get it to connect to anything in the house.

In each case, either it won’t plug in at all, or it says “USB-C” not detected. My computers don’t recognize it, and it recognizes nothing. It does turn on.

The thing has HDMI, but everything in the house is an older HDMI except perhaps the new TV.

Should I just bite the bullet and get a new Mac mini this month? And let it get melty during the ride in the hot UPS truck?
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:57 pm I’ve decided to write my own book on investing. More details to come soon!
The Mac Mini with Apple silicon is a great value!

The one thing I thought was a shame is that only the high-end model is capable of outputting to 3 monitors simultaneously.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Chrome wont update on Windows 7 anymore and they are throttling some websites like twitter on my old version. Forced to get a new laptop. I bought my current Gateway NV5929U with 4GB RAM for $600 in 2010 from TigerDirect. So many small files have accumulated over the years that the HDD struggles.

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdet ... 690a1cb826

$600
-60 10% off email list coupon
-40 Amex dell merchant offer
-17 Chase 5% dell merchant offer

~$483

I have a couple more 10% coupons if anyone wants. Beware 10 day delivery from Dell. Most credit cards have the Dell merchant offer.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:55 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:50 pm
Maybe the monitor has a problem. Return it. Buy Mac mini and monitor from Costco (if they have them) or Apple at same time. Good service is worth every cent.

Quiet! Biden thinks we are STILL in those days!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:00 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:52 pm
Checking in.

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:57 pm
I’ve decided to write my own book on investing. More details to come soon!

The one thing I thought was a shame is that only the high-end model is capable of outputting to 3 monitors simultaneously.

You guys are doing a great job of keeping me from dying without ever having owned an Apple computer.

Way over priced and poor value compared to a Windows computer.

My used Windows computers bought for $500 or less have capabilities of running four monitors at once. Been using this one that cost $500 for the last six years. Right now I am only running four monitors off it mainly because one monitor is 23" and the other two 27". There is only so much room on this table plus a limit as to how far away I can read from a monitor not close to me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

boglerdude wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:04 pm
Chrome wont update on Windows 7 anymore and they are throttling some websites like twitter on my old version. Forced to get a new laptop. I bought my current Gateway NV5929U with 4GB RAM for $600 in 2010 from TigerDirect. So many small files have accumulated over the years that the HDD struggles.

$600

~$483

I have a couple more 10% coupons if anyone wants. Beware 10 day delivery from Dell. Most credit cards have the Dell merchant offer.

Of course I'm always buying a desktop over a laptop. But you add to my case of the better value of WIndows based computers.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

boglerdude wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:04 pm Chrome wont update on Windows 7 anymore and they are throttling some websites like twitter on my old version. Forced to get a new laptop. I bought my current Gateway NV5929U with 4GB RAM for $600 in 2010 from TigerDirect.
My monitor mentioned above is also a Dell. I would probably buy their computers if i hadn’t moved to Mac.
I’m trying to figure out whether to spring for 16GB RAM or 24GB this time. (Mac solders the RAM into Mac minis so I can’t upgrade later)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:23 pm
boglerdude wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:04 pm
Chrome wont update on Windows 7 anymore and they are throttling some websites like twitter on my old version. Forced to get a new laptop. I bought my current Gateway NV5929U with 4GB RAM for $600 in 2010 from TigerDirect.

My monitor mentioned above is also a Dell. I would probably buy their computers if i hadn’t moved to Mac.
I’m trying to figure out whether to spring for 16GB RAM or 24GB this time. (Mac solders the RAM into Mac minis so I can’t upgrade later)

I'd always go for the more RAM to prolong the useful life of the computer. I recently had one custom built for me (which I have not yet started using) and I went with 32 GB RAM. The one I am using now has 16 GB RAM but as I stated I bought it used 6 years ago. Probably have reduced performance from "only" having that much given how browsers these days are such RAM hogs.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 pm While we are on the topic is surprises me that we don't have more members of this forum that are gamers, given that it seems like we are mostly male. Is it a generational thing?
Used to do a bit -- Table Top RPGs (Basic and AD&D, Star Frontiers) and a bit of Wargaming (Panzer Leader, Dawn Patrol), and a bit of computer gaming, especially in college (Planets, Rogue, ...), and post college games such as Steel Panthers and Neverwinter Nights.

Found I isolated myself too much

Now I spend that time dancing (and alas, adulting)
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 pm While we are on the topic is surprises me that we don't have more members of this forum that are gamers, given that it seems like we are mostly male. Is it a generational thing?
Heh, Heh, More like a historical thing :)

Games available when I was a teenager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiAxCBjSZUM
and yes, Colour TV arrived in Australia in 1976 !!!

But the resolution on modern games still has me impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKgH1rty2gM
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:40 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:00 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:52 pm Checking in.

You guys are doing a great job of keeping me from dying without ever having owned an Apple computer.

Way over priced and poor value compared to a Windows computer.

My used Windows computers bought for $500 or less have capabilities of running four monitors at once. Been using this one that cost $500 for the last six years. Right now I am only running four monitors off it mainly because one monitor is 23" and the other two 27". There is only so much room on this table plus a limit as to how far away I can read from a monitor not close to me.
Vinny, Apple products are like sex with your wife. Until you’ve had it you don’t know what you’re missing and how good it is. YMMV
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:43 pm
boglerdude wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:04 pm Chrome wont update on Windows 7 anymore and they are throttling some websites like twitter on my old version. Forced to get a new laptop. I bought my current Gateway NV5929U with 4GB RAM for $600 in 2010 from TigerDirect. So many small files have accumulated over the years that the HDD struggles.

$600

~$483

Of course I'm always buying a desktop over a laptop. But you add to my case of the better value of WIndows based computers.
With light weight SSD there's minimal advantage to a desktop for my type of use: just adding 1 external monitor. I elevate for cooling. Just saw these with fans, might be good idea, shift cooling burden off internal fan https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+cooling+stand

Used to resent Macs for tying your hands and over-simplifying (one-button only mice) but as I disintegrate with age I'm increasingly willing to pay more so tech products "just work"

Any critical tips for Windows 11. Eg disabling things it does in background when the AI decides you "arent busy." defrag, shadowcopy etc
Attachments
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 13783 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:55 am Used to resent Macs for tying your hands and over-simplifying (one-button only mice) but as I disintegrate with age I'm increasingly willing to pay more so tech products "just work"
Exactly my sentiment. Even Neal Stephenson updated his Linux-praising “In the Beginning There Was the Command Line” with — I’m paraphrasing — I like Macs now. I’m sure this was when they overhauled their OS and based it on Unix/BSD.
I liked Windows XP even when I made the switch but the Mac hardware and software has been rock solid for decades.

This is why I ignore people who congratulate themselves on how smart they are for saving money by buying PCs. No offense, Vinny. O0 Mountaineer said it best, above. (Btw, my Android phone, my one non-Apple holdout, is rapidly becoming just as locked down as an iPhone).

No printer drivers, everything is plug and play. Now if I just had something to plug my new Dell monitor into, I’m sure it would just work. :-)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:55 am
With light weight SSD there's minimal advantage to a desktop for my type of use: just adding 1 external monitor. I elevate for cooling. Just saw these with fans, might be good idea, shift cooling burden off internal fan https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+cooling+stand

Used to resent Macs for tying your hands and over-simplifying (one-button only mice) but as I disintegrate with age I'm increasingly willing to pay more so tech products "just work"

Any critical tips for Windows 11. Eg disabling things it does in background when the AI decides you "arent busy." defrag, shadowcopy etc

A few days ago I was at a soon to be 77 years old friend's house trying to review an investment product someone had put him into.

He has a brand new Apple laptop or portable (or whatever they are called).

We wasted so much time trying to achieve the simplest tasks. Like making the document go full screen. Never determined how to do it.

I wanted to review the investment document page-by-page. I look down on this keyboard and see the ever helpful "Page Up", "Page Down". No such keys on an Apple keyboard?

We had to hold two finders on the keypad, press down hard while we had the cursor on something to slide down. That after we got down to the next page we had to repeat the process?

Extremely inefficient?

I'd many times heard how using Apple computers were so intuitive. My experience has been the complete opposite! Totally unitutive?

I've said many times I have no problems with Apple products in general. I may now own 20-25 of them - iPhones, iPad, mini-iPads, iPods, iTouchs, AirPods: all of various generations. But I think I need to get a restraining order to keep their computers away from me.

Way too overpriced, poor value, and difficult to use!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... #xj4y7vzkg

BusinessweekFeature
iQuit: My Hellish Attempt to Leave Apple’s Walled Garden
If you want to transfer a decade of photos and texts out of Apple’s ecosystem, get ready for pain.
ByAustin Carr
July 11, 2023 at 5:00 AM EDT
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

(Getting sucked in here) Ok, ok. So you hate Apple, especially their desktops. I’ve had cloud and transfer problems with Google and Nordlocker, too. But I ran my first Mac for 10 years with very few restarts and I’m on the 9th year of my second one. (with overlap)“Poor value” my ass. And I know how to PgDn.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

IMHO Vinny is right about the Mac keyboards. They're pretty much useless. I make very heavy use of insert, home, end, page up, page down, and delete. (Note that "delete" on a real keyboard is quite different from what's labeled "delete" on an Apple keyboard, which is really "backspace".)

To be fair, though, most laptops place these keys terribly and are also largely useless to me, but Apple is by far the worst since they're completely missing.