Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by drumminj »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm
dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 pm I like a nice aviation cocktail. Sadly, there is no alcohol in the house this week.
That's an emergency!!!! Gotta do something about that right now!
This is where us wine snobs come out ahead. We continually hoard, but it's called "collecting" or "aging wine".

Our household is good for a year at a bottle a day, give or take, without replenishing supplies O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I can’t hoard wine because I find it easy to keep drinking once I start. I begin with the best of intentions and before I know it my brain is saying, “Who is that stupid guy who was going to stop here? More!”
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 pm I can’t hoard wine because I find it easy to keep drinking once I start.
I get "lucky" in that anything above 2 glasses and I have a bad hangover, so I've learned the hard way to stop myself. It means that my g/f and I will mildy hurt if we finish a bottle together, but never go beyond that (and usually stop short).

In your case, maybe buy half bottles, assuming a single container is your unit of measure? I agree though that it's easy to keep drinking...
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm Asian so I basically just can't drink. 8)
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Tried Chocolate wine, Not bad reminded me of Chocolate milk and Irish Creme.

Cheers
Attachments
photo-1471421298428-1513ab720a8e.jpeg
photo-1471421298428-1513ab720a8e.jpeg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 29573 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

My forerunners were Viking. They gave me the genetic gift of getting wasted as fuck.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 pmI can’t hoard wine because I find it easy to keep drinking once I start. I begin with the best of intentions and before I know it my brain is saying, “Who is that stupid guy who was going to stop here? More!”
I can relate to your first comment. But I'd be lying if I said that I ever started with "the best of intentions." My wife and I have occasionally obstained altogether for several days/weeks. But when I do make a cocktail or pour a glass of wine, I fully know there will be more to follow that evening.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Interesting how a "checking in" thread turned into a "checking out (via alcohol)" thread. ;D

Good morning Vietnam! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf2iFHG44M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Not even a Guinness?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am We were at an all inclusive in Mexico right before this started. I started around noon each day with a steady stream of Gin & Sodas. Never got past a nice persistent buzz, but when I got home I had zero interest in alcohol. Haven't had a single drink since I returned on 3/15. Weird.
That’s because you can drink the water now.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

My wife bought me some St. Arnold's stout, it's 26 proof! It's like wine!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am Not even a Guinness?
Not even.

I prefer IPA's to stouts anyway.
In Ireland, I remember seeing a century-old advertisement for Guinness. Its main point was that Guinness had "more carbohydrates than milk." Guinness gives you strength!

What would the old advertising for IPAs look like? "It'll last. Just like embalming fluid."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am Not even a Guinness?
Not even.

I prefer IPA's to stouts anyway.
Pug,
You have great taste! Have you tried Elysian "Space Dust", or Dogfish Head "The Perfect Disguise"? Great IPAs with a touch of citrus for your vitamin C. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I’ve had Elysian, it’s good. My favorite though is “Weird and Gilly”. A bit pricey, so I just have one once in a while.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Day 14 here.....and for the record....I last had any alcohol in December 1974 (45 years ago) and, also, no other recreational drugs since.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

That's going to get fixed in a hurry, the longer the EtOH subthread lasts. Smith1776: have you tried taking cimetidine for the alcohol intolerance?

Checking in for the day! No news worth reporting here. I'm still working from home. Time to venture outside for a bit and then break out the tequila, ha.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Well-deserved, WiseOne.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not much new here, just watching the grass grow and reading a lot. No riots, no civil disobedience, no Wuhan symptoms for my wife and I - and plenty of quiet outside except for the birds and friendly neighbors' kids playing in the street, duly s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d of course. We have been checking in with friends and family frequently via phone, email and text to have some semblance of staying connected. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. 8)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 am Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not much new here, just watching the grass grow and reading a lot. No riots, no civil disobedience, no Wuhan symptoms for my wife and I - and plenty of quiet outside except for the birds and friendly neighbors' kids playing in the street, duly s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d of course. We have been checking in with friends and family frequently via phone, email and text to have some semblance of staying connected. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. 8)
Day 15 here for me. Only one day in the last fifteen (a week ago Tuesday) have I even seen a live human being! Yesterday I heard the kids playing but because of the fence did not see them. I have to revise my prior statement. For about a second yesterday I did see two people on bicycles riding by my house.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:10 am
Mountaineer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 am Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Not much new here, just watching the grass grow and reading a lot. No riots, no civil disobedience, no Wuhan symptoms for my wife and I - and plenty of quiet outside except for the birds and friendly neighbors' kids playing in the street, duly s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d of course. We have been checking in with friends and family frequently via phone, email and text to have some semblance of staying connected. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. 8)
Day 15 here for me. Only one day in the last fifteen (a week ago Tuesday) have I even seen a live human being! Yesterday I heard the kids playing but because of the fence did not see them. I have to revise my prior statement. For about a second yesterday I did see two people on bicycles riding by my house.

Vinny
I've seen a couple of delivery people through my window: USPS and UPS. I don't go outside while they are on the property.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

Vinny
I've seen a couple of delivery people through my window: USPS and UPS. I don't go outside while they are on the property.
Being rural, I don't see when either the newspaper or mail is dropped off in the boxes across the street from my driveway.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am

Vinny
Being rural, I don't see when either the newspaper or mail is dropped off in the boxes across the street from my driveway.

Vinny
Same here except when there are packages that won't fit in our mailbox, which they bring to our door.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am

Vinny

Vinny
Same here except when there are packages that won't fit in our mailbox, which they bring to our door.
You are also seeing your wife on a daily basis?

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am

Vinny

Vinny
You are also seeing your wife on a daily basis?

Vinny
Yes, of course. I was talking about interactions with others.
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

I didn't comment previously on the subject of beer. I used to enjoy many varieties of beer, but later moved on to be more of a wine-drinker, and then later to add cocktails to my routine (Manhattan, Vesper, others). So I only rarely have a beer these days. I still enjoy them, but I'm usually feeling pretty "full" after just one.

Anyway, for anyone who likes darker beers, I strongly recommend Ayinger Celebrator:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131/

It's categorized as a German Doppelbock. Doppel means "double" but Bock means "goat"? OK, now I had to Google more and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

Notable quote:
The style known now as bock was a dark, malty, lightly hopped ale first brewed in the 14th century by German brewers in the Hanseatic town of Einbeck.[2] The style from Einbeck was later adopted by Munich brewers in the 17th century and adapted to the new lager style of brewing. Due to their Bavarian accent, citizens of Munich pronounced "Einbeck" as "ein Bock" ("a billy goat"), and thus the beer became known as "bock". As a visual pun, a goat often appears on bock labels.
Neat. And, indeed, Ayinger Celebrator actually hangs a little white plastic goat trinket on every bottle (usually sold as a 4-pack).

Anyway, the beer has a very strong malty flavor, which I love. It's not a style that's been particularly popular in the USA (or probably too many other places) in quite a while. But if you like it, another fun fact is that any beer ending with the suffix "ator" is typically of this same style. That's something I *did* already know. Another notable quote from that Wikipedia page:
The monks who originally brewed doppelbock named their beer "Salvator" (literally "Savior", but actually a malapropism for "Sankt Vater", "St. Father", originally brewed for the feast of St. Francis of Paola on 2 April which often falls into Lent), which today is trademarked by Paulaner. Brewers of modern doppelbocks often add "-ator" to their beer's name as a signpost of the style; there are 200 "-ator" doppelbock names registered with the German patent office. The following are representative examples of the style: Paulaner Salvator, Ayinger Celebrator, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel, Spaten Optimator, Augustiner Maximator, Tucher Bajuvator, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock, Capital Autumnal Fire, EKU 28, Eggenberg Urbock 23º, Bell's Consecrator, Moretti La Rossa, Samuel Adams Double Bock, Tröegs Tröegenator Double Bock, Wasatch Brewery Devastator, Great Lakes Doppelrock, Abita Andygator, Wolverine State Brewing Company Predator, Burly Brewing's Burlynator, and Christian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock.