Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:51 am

Lifted from the Favorite Charity thread:
Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:17 am
Smithers,

Perhaps you could get your Canadian friends to turn off the smoke a bit. ;) Really bad here today. Hope the fire fighters stay safe and get things under control soon. They have a nasty, dangerous job that we should all be thankful for their efforts.

Over 400 fires. 😱 Feeling it in Maryland right now.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:51 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Smithers,

Perhaps you could get your Canadian friends to turn off the smoke a bit. ;) Really bad here today. Hope the fire fighters stay safe and get things under control soon. They have a nasty, dangerous job that we should all be thankful for their efforts.

We have firefighters from other communities that have recently landed in Edmonton to help!
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:56 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am

dualstow wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

Smithers,

We have firefighters from other communities that have recently landed in Edmonton to help!

So none of the below is true?

Vinny

From a Canadian firefighter who knows what’s going on:
#canada #wildfire #smoke
(Worth the read)
“I know you may know, but people need to know and understand that most Canadian wildfire management agencies have fire “zonation” policies similar to Alaska.
This means in large areas of their jurisdictions, especially in the northern part of the country, wildfires are left to run there natural course w little or no direct action or suppression. We’ll protect values at risk, ie. infrastructure, communities, critical habitat or culturally significant features on the landscape, we’ll map them and maybe try to burn them to natural barrier, fight one flank and let the rest roll (limited action) but we are not putting them out.
On many of the fires we don’t even try. A number of these fires are huge boreal gobblers (I am currently assigned to a 250,000 ha fire, well over 600,000 acres and you could fit the org. chart on one side of a beer can).
The only thing that is going to put out this fire out and many across the country is winter, 5 months from now. It’s going to be a long, smoky summer for everyone. You have a wide reach, it would be great if you can help people understand these dynamics in the Canadian wildfire scene when they’re bitching about the smoke.
Cheers 🍻 and thanks.”
Pretty decent picture of what’s going on. Thanks for the insight.
In the industry we call this letting a fire “Do its thing”. It’s especially common in these vast boreal forests. Siberia does the same thing. Identify hazards and values at risk, mitigate, let it go.
Cheers.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:12 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:56 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am
dualstow wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Smithers,

So none of the below is true?

Vinny

From a Canadian firefighter who knows what’s going on:
#canada #wildfire #smoke
(Worth the read)
“I know you may know, but people need to know and understand that most Canadian wildfire management agencies have fire “zonation” policies similar to Alaska.
This means in large areas of their jurisdictions, especially in the northern part of the country, wildfires are left to run there natural course w little or no direct action or suppression. We’ll protect values at risk, ie. infrastructure, communities, critical habitat or culturally significant features on the landscape, we’ll map them and maybe try to burn them to natural barrier, fight one flank and let the rest roll (limited action) but we are not putting them out.
On many of the fires we don’t even try. A number of these fires are huge boreal gobblers (I am currently assigned to a 250,000 ha fire, well over 600,000 acres and you could fit the org. chart on one side of a beer can).
The only thing that is going to put out this fire out and many across the country is winter, 5 months from now. It’s going to be a long, smoky summer for everyone. You have a wide reach, it would be great if you can help people understand these dynamics in the Canadian wildfire scene when they’re bitching about the smoke.
Cheers 🍻 and thanks.”
Pretty decent picture of what’s going on. Thanks for the insight.
In the industry we call this letting a fire “Do its thing”. It’s especially common in these vast boreal forests. Siberia does the same thing. Identify hazards and values at risk, mitigate, let it go.
Cheers.
I think this is accurate, Vinny. We pick our fights and focus on the fires that actually threaten infrastructure. If it's a fire that's way out in the middle of nowhere we are far more likely to ignore it. I'm no expert though. I may have to ask my friend Tim, who's a firefighter out here.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:27 pm

Just picked this new PC for gaming. Anyone here play Warcraft 3 or StarCraft 2? O0

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00124140
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:00 pm

I need to know Kriegs’ thoughts on the fantasized physical bout between Musk and Zuckerberg.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:00 pm
I need to know Kriegs’ thoughts on the fantasized physical bout between Musk and Zuckerberg.
Given that Zuckerberg is a robot he'd definitely win.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 pm

My attention has really been captured by that missing submersible exploring the Titanic the past couple days. Apparently they found the debris and that a hull implosion was likely what happened. These craft were experimental and it seems that cyclical fatigue finally made the submersible bite the dust. Crazy way to go out.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:52 pm

Better than slowly suffocating, eh? Still, very sad.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:54 pm

This is from the Logitech game controller webpage on Amazon.

The Internet never ceases to amaze me…

1AAD10C8-255B-4906-9C3B-EEB166615FEA.jpeg
1AAD10C8-255B-4906-9C3B-EEB166615FEA.jpeg (343.53 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
FEE7FE3A-F8DE-4DD6-8049-6F29DEC47DDF.jpeg
FEE7FE3A-F8DE-4DD6-8049-6F29DEC47DDF.jpeg (384.13 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:36 pm

While we are on the topic is surprises me that we don't have more members of this forum that are gamers, given that it seems like we are mostly male. Is it a generational thing?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:03 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:54 pm

This is from the Logitech game controller webpage on Amazon.

The Internet never ceases to amaze me…

1AAD10C8-255B-4906-9C3B-EEB166615FEA.jpegFEE7FE3A-F8DE-4DD6-8049-6F29DEC47DDF.jpeg

I read the criticism of using this device. The response was that it was widely used and proven technology.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:06 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:11 pm

My attention has really been captured by that missing submersible exploring the Titanic the past couple days. Apparently they found the debris and that a hull implosion was likely what happened. These craft were experimental and it seems that cyclical fatigue finally made the submersible bite the dust. Crazy way to go out.

At no age would I have even gone in it.

In 1981 I went to some museum in Chicago and they had a captured German submarine on its front lawn, which you could walk through which I did.

This was a beautiful summer day, as stated it was just sitting on the ground, yet in the few minutes I spent walking through it I was in total panic being in such a confined space.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:06 am
Smith1776 wrote:

In 1981 I went to some museum in Chicago and they had a captured German submarine on its front lawn, which you could walk through which I did.

This was a beautiful summer day, as stated it was just sitting on the ground, yet in the few minutes I spent walking through it I was in total panic being in such a confined space.

That's the Museum of Science and Industry, which is a really cool place even apart from their captured German submarine showpiece. It now has a building around it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:50 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:36 am

vnatale wrote:

Smith1776 wrote:

That's the Museum of Science and Industry, which is a really cool place even apart from their captured German submarine showpiece. It now has a building around it.

So 42 years later obviously still there! As I was writing the above I was wondering about the international laws regarding keeping another country's property after a war ends.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:30 pm

vnatale wrote:

It's a serious tragedy... but shame on the CEO for cutting corners on certification and safety. The irony that he would perish as a result of his own hubris.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Also, as an aside, it is the mark of a great investment forum that we hardly even talk about investing.. because we have all achieved equanimity through "gyroscopic" strategies. O0

...Unlike a certain other knuckleheaded forum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:33 pm
Also, as an aside, it is the mark of a great investment forum that we hardly even talk about investing.. because we have all achieved equanimity through "gyroscopic" strategies. O0

Unlike a submersible, a gyroscopic gyroscope abides.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Unlike a submersible, a gyroscopic abides.
A gyroscopic portfolio doesn't have a Logitech controller in it... it contains Logitech the company. 8)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:45 am

:D
I corrected my mistake above. I meant to write gyroscope and I was struggling to find the right ending- stays upright, like stays afloat. No wonder I ended up absentmindedly writing “gyroscopic.”
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm

Pre-thoughts and prayers to the many drunk fools who will be blowing off their fingers this week by mishandling fireworks.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:20 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm

Pre-thoughts and prayers to the many drunk fools who will be blowing off their fingers this week by mishandling fireworks.

I assume that is not a thing in Canada? I was only a part of that culture many, many, many decades ago when I was a pre-teen and teenager.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:20 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm
…fireworks.
I assume that is not a thing in Canada?
They remained loyal to the Crown. j/k O0
A more serious answer-
from a few days ago:
Canada Day fireworks cancelled over air quality fears
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66061193
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:05 pm

To Smith1776!

Columnist in my local newspaper says we might have become a better country if we had not had a revolution but, instead, became independent the way Canada did.

Do you agree with all the positives of Canada that he cites?

https://www.recorder.com/Col-Huer-(for7 ... e-51457612

As I See It: What if we hadn’t won independence?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:20 pm

Many things in the world would have been different if not for the American Revolution. Top of the list is the relationship between Britain and her colonies. I don't think we can reliably play "what if" in that regard.