Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:59 am

It's 12am and I'm about to have a cup of coffee.

BRTky.jpg
BRTky.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:22 am

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:01 am
Thanks, DS,

Always fun to take off on a fun topic.

Seeing the Donald Sutherland version motivated me to read the book.
The original DS O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 am

A Good Friday to you.

church-window-796376_1280.jpg
church-window-796376_1280.jpg (265.06 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:17 am

Here’s Good Friday, Jack.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 am
IDK if you ever stated this before, but what exactly does Dualstow mean? I think Pugchief, Mountaineer, Vinny, Cortopassi, WiseOne, etc are all obvious.
I hate the name and would love to change it. It started out as an attempt to make an anagram from the four PP assets:

au - gold
lt - long treasuries
s - short term (cash) Originally a c.
dow - stocks

But I also wanted it to sound like a real word or a name. After some tinkering, I just settled on the most recent permutation on my notepad. I didn’t think I’d be around for ten years.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:12 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 am
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 am
IDK if you ever stated this before, but what exactly does Dualstow mean? I think Pugchief, Mountaineer, Vinny, Cortopassi, WiseOne, etc are all obvious.
I hate the name and would love to change it. It started out as an attempt to make an anagram from the four PP assets:

au - gold
lt - long treasuries
s - short term (cash) Originally a c.
dow - stocks

But I also wanted it to sound like a real word or a name. After some tinkering, I just settled on the most recent permutation on my notepad. I didn’t think I’d be around for ten years.
same with my handle, it started out as a throwaway lurker account at BH and got reused when i signed up for craig and texs new forum ^-^
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:17 am
Here’s Good Friday, Jack.
Goodness on Friday, you busted my personal picture. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am

I'm watching Joker tonight. It just feels like one of those days. O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Good Passover.
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 6.39.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 6.39.18 PM.png (88.35 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
We're actually having pizza for dinner, but I like the image.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:17 am

Good morning, my friends!

I am making pancakes today and no virus is going to stop me. I've also got enough maple syrup to give half the people in Vancouver diabetes.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:34 am

Good morning ladies and gents, boys and girls, homebound and running free, coffee drinkers and tea sippers. Some humor for the day from the master:

https://www.thefarside.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:50 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:34 am
Good morning ladies and gents, boys and girls, homebound and running free, coffee drinkers and tea sippers. Some humor for the day from the master:

https://www.thefarside.com
oh my gosh, he’s finally online! Thank you for posting that. He had resisted for so long, and unfortunately I got rid of my Far Side books during the great pre-renovation purge.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:34 pm

Not sure which thread to put this in. General Corona?

Los Angeles without smog. Amazing.
https://twitter.com/Bill_Gross/status/1 ... 04/photo/1
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:34 pm
Not sure which thread to put this in. General Corona?

Los Angeles without smog. Amazing.
https://twitter.com/Bill_Gross/status/1 ... 04/photo/1
I saw earlier today the Northeast has 30% less pollution.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm

From another thread:
Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:05 pm
All my cash is with a single bank.
For very practical reasons my working cash is split between four different banks/brokerages. I can't tell you how often my debit card will get jammed up by some overactive "fraud avoidance algorithm" while I'm traveling. And I usually don't have time or access to a phone to get it cleared up immediately. Thus... pull out a different card, hope that one passes the sniff test and wait until I get back to my lodging to sort it out.

Another reason to have multiple cash accounts:
I never access the account with my main cash cache via debit cards, internet purchases, ATM or any other way except to electronically transfer / top off one of my other three "working" accounts. Thus if I ever do have an account that is legitimately compromised, that account never has more than a few thousand in it. That has happened a couple of times in some dodgy places, but fortunately I was able to catch it after only a few hundred dollars.
I keep meaning to ask you, Mark: has this virus put a big dent in your lifestyle? Seemed like you were something of a citizen of the world until the outbreak. I guess you're limited to the States for now. Does it feel strange?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm
I keep meaning to ask you, Mark: has this virus put a big dent in your lifestyle? Seemed like you were something of a citizen of the world until the outbreak. I guess you're limited to the States for now. Does it feel strange?
Thanks dualstow. Yes, it has definitely put a kink in my plans. When it looked like everything was about to go downhill, I rented a car out of LAX, checked in on friends and relatives and then have just been road tripping through small town USA. My gal is in Sonoma county, CA under lockdown - so we had to cancel a couple of trips together (Europe and Hawaii). I imagine I'll keep the road trip going until things loosen up a bit. I'm in Utah now, but I've got a pretty cool adobe lined up in New Mexico for tomorrow and the next couple of weeks. Fascinating to see the different perceptions and responses in different parts of the country.

On the plus side, I've been able to hole up with my spreadsheets and plan out my next greatest go broke quick scheme. And work on weird diet experiments that aren't really possible in polite company.

So there's that.

Overall, while unexpected, I think some good things may come of this time of isolation and introspection and experimentation.

Here's wishing the best to everyone, in any and all circumstances. Except Frugal. (just kidding. Sort of)
Mark
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm
Thanks dualstow. Yes, it has definitely put a kink in my plans. When it looked like everything was about to go downhill, I rented a car out of LAX, checked in on friends and relatives and then have just been road tripping through small town USA. My gal is in Sonoma county, CA under lockdown - so we had to cancel a couple of trips together (Europe and Hawaii). I imagine I'll keep the road trip going until things loosen up a bit. I'm in Utah now, but I've got a pretty cool adobe lined up in New Mexico for tomorrow and the next couple of weeks. Fascinating to see the different perceptions and responses in different parts of the country.

On the plus side, I've been able to hole up with my spreadsheets and plan out my next greatest go broke quick scheme. And work on weird diet experiments that aren't really possible in polite company.

So there's that.

Overall, while unexpected, I think some good things may come of this time of isolation and introspection and experimentation.

Here's wishing the best to everyone, in any and all circumstances. Except Frugal. (just kidding. Sort of)
Mark
Not to nitpick or be pedantic but do you mean abode? Unless of course the place you plan on staying is indeed actually built of sun-dried mud/clay bricks (which being New Mexico wouldn't be out of the question)....in which case I guess that would make it an adobe abode. :D
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:06 pm

D1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Not to nitpick or be pedantic but do you mean abode? Unless of course the place you plan on staying is indeed actually built of sun-dried mud/clay bricks (which being New Mexico wouldn't be out of the question)....in which case I guess that would make it an adobe abode. :D
This one. They are fairly liberal with the definition of "adobe" in New Mexico.
adobeabode.jpg
adobeabode.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:06 pm
D1984 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 pm

This one. They are fairly liberal with the definition of "adobe" in New Mexico.
adobeabode.jpg
$85 per night??!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:09 pm

$85 per night??!!!

Vinny
With the discounts subtracted and the fees and taxes added, it came out to $75 per night.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:09 pm

$85 per night??!!!

Vinny
With the discounts subtracted and the fees and taxes added, it came out to $75 per night.
I'm comparing that to the one room (low class place) I'd stay in Yonkers when I was going to Yankees games at Yankee Stadium. It is 10 miles north of Yankee Stadium. 15 years ago the price was already at $100 a night.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Cool, we used to have a fake-adobe fireplace just like that when I was a kid in NY. Coincidentally, my dad is from NM.
You’ve got an interesting life Mark.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:13 am

Good morning all. A joyous Resurection Sunday to you.

He is risen, He is risen indeed!

Alleluia!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:19 am

Happy Easter, buddy.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Happy Easter everyone!!!!!!

The weather here in New York is beautiful today - again. The air so clear and clean, it is an absolute pleasure to go outside. The visibility is staggering...the Manhattan skyline is crystal clear, and I can see a landmark that per Google maps is 22 miles away. Never once have I seen it from this location.

I would love it if a 1 or 2 week shutdown could happen every year, for this one reason alone.