Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm

I think we've talked about this before, but I can't help but mention it again that I find pickleball to be much more enjoyable than golf, but of course it's not for everybody. For me, the problem with golf is that I'm a perfectionist and so in order to play a decent round of golf I would need to practice several hours a week in order to keep the long game, mid game, short game, and putting game all in decent shape. Whereas, with pickleball I can play at a relatively high level with little practice. Golf does have an advantage in that you can practice by yourself, whereas in pickleball you need a partner generally to get a good practice session in.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:32 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm
I think we've talked about this before, but I can't help but mention it again that I find pickleball to be much more enjoyable than golf, but of course it's not for everybody. For me, the problem with golf is that I'm a perfectionist and so in order to play a decent round of golf I would need to practice several hours a week in order to keep the long game, mid game, short game, and putting game all in decent shape. Whereas, with pickleball I can play at a relatively high level with little practice. Golf does have an advantage in that you can practice by yourself, whereas in pickleball you need a partner generally to get a good practice session in.
I generally gravitate towards team sports like softball and basketball where you have both teammates and opponents. But, for now, while neither of those are yet permissible, I can see how I'll enjoy learning how to drive a golf ball.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:38 am

Pickleball is generally played as a team sport of two players against two other players.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:50 am

+1 for pickleball. Although I do play golf, I find it extremely frustrating. Making improvements is not easy, which is ironic when you consider that you are hitting a stationary ball into a football field sized area, vs tennis or pickleball where you have to hit a moving ball into a relatively small target area. :o
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Never heard of pickleball - what is it?

Ultimate Frisbee is the outdoor team game of choice here, but you have to make sure there are no snitches around if you want to play it in a public park these days. Sticking to my yoga mat, kettlebell and pull-up bar instead. At least there are no lines to wait on!
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Ultimate Frisbee is the outdoor team game of choice here, but you have to make sure there are no snitches around if you want to play it in a public park these days. Sticking to my yoga mat, kettlebell and pull-up bar instead. At least there are no lines to wait on!
I had never heard of it either until we visited Sun City Texas.
But here it is: https://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm

My dad got a hole in one today. I had one of my best 18 holes ever, which is still very bad but... you know. Golf.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm
sophie wrote:

I had never heard of it either until we visited Sun City Texas.
But here it is: https://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/
Oh I see. Sort of like tennis but with a paddle instead of a racquet.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 pm

sophie wrote:
It is mentioned so often here, if you search you would think it’s the fifth asset. O0
The new Freakonomics: Why Are Cities (Still) So Expensive? (Ep. 435)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:14 pm
My dad got a hole in one today. I had one of my best 18 holes ever, which is still very bad but... you know. Golf.
I ordered golf balls, tees, and a net from Amazon.

All arrived two days ago.

Set it up.

Am I a terrible golfer!

Miss the ball entirely! Hit only the tee and it goes flying but the ball is still on the ground. This is way more difficult than I thought it was going to be!

Did more yesterday? About the same. No real improvement. I did pull out my two sets of (old) golf clubs which I'd never used and never prior had even taken any of clubs outside of their bags. I organized all the clubs by brand and number to see what I had.

Today I went at it again. Still not much improvement. After all the continued ineptitude I decided I'd needed to see some form of success so I went to get the bat, batting tee, and softballs. First swing I'm right on it with a line drive right up the middle. As were 80% of my other swings.

So going forward that is what I am going to have to do. Follow up each round of ineptitude of attempting to hit golf balls (with a driver) by successfully attacking and hitting softballs.

When I was in my late 40s I was able to successfully hit baseballs in a batting cage going 80 MPH. How can I not hit that little ball just sitting there!!

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

The best way to learn golf is to probably start with your pitching wedge and get good with that first. Then move to 9 iron, 8 iron, up to say 5 iron or 4 iron, then fairway woods and finally driver. Starting with the driver is sort of like learning to sail by trying to cross the Pacific on your first outing.

I assume you've watched some instructional videos? There are a lot of moving parts to the golf swing. One important thought is to start with your weight evenly balanced on both feet or maybe heavier on the forward foot, shift weight smoothly to back foot on backswing, then move weight to front foot as you start the downswing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm
The best way to learn golf is to probably start with your pitching wedge and get good with that first. Then move to 9 iron, 8 iron, up to say 5 iron or 4 iron, then fairway woods and finally driver. Starting with the driver is sort of like learning to sail by trying to cross the Pacific on your first outing.

I assume you've watched some instructional videos? There are a lot of moving parts to the golf swing. One important thought is to start with your weight evenly balanced on both feet or maybe heavier on the forward foot, shift weight smoothly to back foot on backswing, then move weight to front foot as you start the downswing.
I've watching nothing! I quickly read one article I found online. And, ordered 3 books on Amazon that are on their way.

The above you told me just exponentially increased my golf knowledge!

I know I have 9's all the way down to 2's plus a 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2? And, the pitching wedge must be the one that said "PW" and which I had no idea what it meant?

My golf swing stance felt natural. Would it really be that much different from what I'm trying to do with hitting a softball off a tee? I think I had that part down. The part I obviously did NOT have down was having the head of the club actually make contact with the ball. Tonight I was trying to concentrate on that by drastically reducing the length of my swing so as gain success with at least hitting the ball, leaving how far it goes to a later time.

Vinny