Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 am

Halloween? I wanted it for the office.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:25 am
People watching each other's backs is what a forum should really be about. Thanks.
Yo, as a budding superstar comedian (comedienne, in Canada?), you have to listen to Bill Burr's latest appearance on the Rogan podcast. It's awesome front start to finish, but they talk a lot about advice for young comedians.
Will do. I liked him in Breaking Bad. Hopefully he'll have some insightful advice.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:10 am

Hah, Rogan's latest podcast features..... Peter Schiff!

IT'S LIKE THEY'RE LISTENING TO US
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:10 am
Hah, Rogan's latest podcast features..... Peter Schiff!

IT'S LIKE THEY'RE LISTENING TO US
I was so pumped for it that I kept refreshing the Joe Rogan YouTube page yesterday. I started watching it something like 6 minutes after it was posted.

What a disappointment. Easily his worst interview on JRE. Don't get me wrong, he had great insights as always. He just never bloody took a breath. He just kept going and going and kept bulldozing Rogan every time he wanted to ask a question or change the pace of conversation. It wasn't a podcast, it was just a rant.

On Schiff's Twitter he recognized how poor his interview performance was and he apologized. He says his frenetic pace was due to the fact that the interview was being done online. Apparently his brain kicked into "CNBC mode" where he felt like he needed to get as much in as quickly as possible. Understandable... I guess?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm
What a disappointment. Easily [Schiff's] worst interview on JRE. Don't get me wrong, he had great insights as always. He just never bloody took a breath. He just kept going and going and kept bulldozing Rogan every time he wanted to ask a question or change the pace of conversation. It wasn't a podcast, it was just a rant.
Funny you should mention this, because I listened to the first 15 minutes of that interview last night and had the exact same impression. I eventually just lost interest and stopped listening.

For what it's worth, Schiff always seems that way in his interviews: Talks loudly (half-shouting), runs his mouth non-stop, and hardly lets the host get a word in edgewise or ask questions. It generally rubs me the wrong way. When I listened to a lot more of his interviews back in 2007/2008 during the Ron Paul Revolution, he was the same way.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Funny you should mention this, because I listened to the first 15 minutes of that interview last night and had the exact same impression. I eventually just lost interest and stopped listening.

For what it's worth, Schiff always seems that way in his interviews: Talks loudly (half-shouting), runs his mouth non-stop, and hardly lets the host get a word in edgewise or ask questions. It generally rubs me the wrong way. When I listened to a lot more of his interviews back in 2007/2008 during the Ron Paul Revolution, he was the same way.
Yeah, he does frequently seem like that. I think part of it is just the fact that he's a natural salesman (and I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way). He is quite talented at the sermonizing and preaching game.

His earlier JRE interviews were much more deliberate and thoughtful. I think sitting in front of Rogan live really made the difference where they could have a genuine conversation and see each other's social cues.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:10 am

They mentioned a “J(ay) Hogue” on CNBC this morning. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:13 am

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm
What a disappointment. Easily [Schiff's] worst interview on JRE. Don't get me wrong, he had great insights as always. He just never bloody took a breath. He just kept going and going and kept bulldozing Rogan every time he wanted to ask a question or change the pace of conversation. It wasn't a podcast, it was just a rant.

Interesting. A lot more often, at least in my experience, is that things go the other direction. A terrible (or great?) example of what I'm talking about was an interview that Maria Baritromo did with Ray Dalio a while back. She was constantly interrupting, asking long-winded non-question questions like a Senator at a hearing, and generally making the whole thing about herself, her thoughts, her opinions. I just wanted her to shut up and let Dalio speak.

Maybe there's a happy medium, and maybe that medium depends on the interviewee.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:13 am

Interesting. A lot more often, at least in my experience, is that things go the other direction. A terrible (or great?) example of what I'm talking about was an interview that Maria Baritromo did with Ray Dalio a while back. She was constantly interrupting, asking long-winded non-question questions like a Senator at a hearing, and generally making the whole thing about herself, her thoughts, her opinions. I just wanted her to shut up and let Dalio speak.

Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about. Dalio likes to expound on topics in a thoughtful and deliberate way. Interviewers on CNBC just love to interrupt him just as he starts to get going. Dalio ends up finishing half a point before he gets pulled into another thread of discussion and the cycle repeats. His non-CNBC stuff is much better.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:30 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:13 am

Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about. Dalio likes to expound on topics in a thoughtful and deliberate way. Interviewers on CNBC just love to interrupt him just as he starts to get going. Dalio ends up finishing half a point before he gets pulled into another thread of discussion and the cycle repeats. His non-CNBC stuff is much better.
This one was in front of an audience, not even on CNBC! I'll see if I can find it.

hah, it's been talked about here before:
viewtopic.php?t=3132
viewtopic.php?t=6877
viewtopic.php?t=7681#p129804
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7921&start=48#p135622
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9609#p169234
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:47 pm

hah, it's been talked about here before:
viewtopic.php?t=3132
That post from stone is gold! :D (@1:14pm, at least on my screen). Leads to the Ali G interview of Kenneth Galbraith.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 pm

I did a thing today! ;D

bitcoin.png
bitcoin.png (933.91 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Smith...

Did you buy a bunch of bitcoin to send to Elon Musk so he would send you double back?
We need to talk :)

Mark
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 pm
Smith...

Did you buy a bunch of bitcoin to send to Elon Musk so he would send you double back?
We need to talk :)

Mark
No, I sent them to Obama because he said he'd give me double back!

I ain't no fool!!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:00 pm

You can't tell me this isn't legit.

obama.jpg
obama.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:15 pm

You have a keen eye!

I admit, when I saw the similar tweet from Elon, it made me pause for a half second. At first glance, it seemed like just the sort of crazy thing he might do.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 pm

I would have guessed you went for Bill Gates, Smithers. So much to learn, so much to learn.
Yes, the last I read was that hackers may have paid an inside man at Twitter.
Maybe next time they’ll dox* all the conservative posters on that site who have aliases. What a shitshow.

*For those who don’t know, and Vinny I know you’re getting ready to ask: doxing is publishing someone’s name, address and/or other private info online without permission. The etymology is dox, slang for documents.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 pm
I would have guessed you went for Bill Gates, Smithers. So much to learn, so much to learn.
Yes, the last I read was that hackers may have paid an inside man at Twitter.
Maybe next time they’ll dox* all the conservative posters on that site who have aliases. What a shitshow.

*For those who don’t know, and Vinny I know you’re getting ready to ask: doxing is publishing someone’s name, address and/or other private info online without permission. The etymology is dox, slang for documents.
The Babylon Bee has weighed in on this event too: https://babylonbee.com/news/hackers-sus ... on-twitter
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Yeah, if it had just been the Elon tweet in isolation I'd be inclined to believe it was legit too. Like, it just seems like such an Elon thing to say. I would've thought to myself "Yeah, I've seen him tweet less weird things."

Dualstow, as for Bill Gates he still hasn't given me the money he promised me when I was 13 years old. I forwarded that email he sent me to 10 other people as instructed and still haven't seen a cheque... I ain't trusting that swindler again.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm

The Babylon Bee has weighed in on this event too: https://babylonbee.com/news/hackers-sus ... on-twitter
LMFAO. HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHAA.

For those who didn't click the link.

biden.png
biden.png (164.78 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 pm

O0 You guys are cracking me up. Or, I don’t know, with all the gold coin avatars, you’re all the same guy!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:55 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm

LMFAO. HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHAA.

For those who didn't click the link.

biden.png
Solid

8)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:06 am

Looks like pmward has not posted in July.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Leftovers.
I left too much on the bone, but they gave me a crappy knife.

leftovers.jpeg
leftovers.jpeg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 pm

I’ve been on a bit of a pizza kick lately. So naturally I’ve been looking up recipes and such.

Problem is that I don’t see pizza in these pictures anymore.... all I see is 4 asset classes.

Someone help me plz.

EA94365F-0D4D-4B77-A42E-67EDDD47FA8F.jpeg
EA94365F-0D4D-4B77-A42E-67EDDD47FA8F.jpeg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 4876 times