More Apocalyptic Films and Shows

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

More Apocalyptic Films and Shows

Post by dualstow »

I would like to add Children of Men. I love that movie. Tried the book out and and was different, and often boring.

From the Corona megathread:
Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm
dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:27 pm My apocalypse movies and shows so far (either watched or on the list):

- I am Legend
- Contagion
- Quarantine
- Breaking Bad
- V for Vendetta
- Joker
- Pandemic
- World War Z
For me the big one was Stephen King's The Stand (the book). Also Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain.
Neither is great literature, but very relevant.
I read Station 11 on the recommendation of Tyler Cowen years ago. I didn't think it was good.

The book version of I Am Legend is better than the movie.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: More Apocalyptic Films and Shows

Post by Tortoise »

28 Days Later - Violent and disturbing, but innovative and very well made.

Zombieland - Violent, but very witty and fun. Basically an R-rated dark comedy that’s also kind of a “feel-good movie.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I meant to add, I've given up recommending shows to friends because most of them are saying, "I don't want to watch anything depressing."
Yes you do! :-)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I forgot to add War of the Worlds to my list. It popped into my head the other day as a perfect disaster/apocalypse type of movie.

Ended up watching it with the girl I mentioned who lives down the street from me. Great date movie... although yes it means I just confessed to breaking the social distancing mandate. :o
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I think you previously stated that the two of you are not practicing social distancing with each other. O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:07 pm I think you previously stated that the two of you are not practicing social distancing with each other. O0
We definitely aren't. 8)

In my defense, she is the one person I am not practicing social distancing with, and vice versa. I haven't seen any friends in person in like 2 weeks. And you know what? It's kind of nice.

Oh, also, I want to add Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012.

EDIT: Also, perhaps the greatest movie of the 90s... INDEPENDENCE DAY
DITM
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm I forgot to add War of the Worlds to my list. It popped into my head the other day as a perfect disaster/apocalypse type of movie.

Ended up watching it with the girl I mentioned who lives down the street from me. Great date movie... although yes it means I just confessed to breaking the social distancing mandate. :o
The 1950's version? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll_tCp_p9ow

For another disaster movie ::) try the 1950's "On the Beach"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/

*spoiler alert* https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... ch/5130484
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Hal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:44 pm
Tom Cruise version. ;D

I should also re-watch The Time Machine, another great H.G. Wells story. Though it is a sad one to me.

I remember when I first watched The Time Machine (the remake), and it was just after a horrid breakup I was dealing with. In the story, the protagonist does everything he can to bring back his deceased lover. But everything he does gets thwarted through some application of chronology protection, and the woman keeps dying no matter what. Causality has to be protected after all.

All I could think of was "So even if I invent a time machine, Elizabeth and I will never get back together?" I teared up a little, but I never let it on to anyone.
DITM
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Tom Cruise version. ;D

I should also re-watch The Time Machine, another great H.G. Wells story. Though it is a sad one to me.

I remember when I first watched The Time Machine (the remake), and it was just after a horrid breakup I was dealing with. In the story, the protagonist does everything he can to bring back his deceased lover. But everything he does gets thwarted through some application of chronology protection, and the woman keeps dying no matter what. Causality has to be protected after all.

All I could think of was "So even if I invent a time machine, Elizabeth and I will never get back together?" I teared up a little, but I never let it on to anyone.
Never did watch the Time Machine remake - might put that on my to-do list. Sounds like a romantic tragedy as per "Farewell to Arms"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gnY_yr3aY

We used to go to a restored theatre to watch the old movies.
https://www.astortheatre.net.au
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Hal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Tom Cruise version. ;D

Never did watch the Time Machine remake - might put that on my to-do list. Sounds like a romantic tragedy as per "Farewell to Arms"

I am old enough to remember seeing the original Time Machine! When it cost 35 cents for a kid to go to the movies. Did not like when I had to pay the adult price of 50 cents once I turned 12 years old.

I had no idea way back then even what an accountant was let alone want to be one but I guess there were inklings when I said as a 12 year old that "11 years old is the perfect age because some things (like going to a movie) are less expensive!"

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Hal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I always feel like I've scored when I find a good movie in full on YouTube. 8)
DITM
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Apocalypto was good.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.