Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 13, 2020 2:37 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:21 pm
And why the F are all the government employees still getting paid?
Because the government defined most government employees as "essential." Funny how that works, isn't it? :)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:07 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 pm

^ I hate that I can always smell cigars through my mask. What he’s exhaling, I’m breathing. Oh well. i still think it helps block water droplets coming from me, like when I’m talking to a vendor.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:50 pm
^ I hate that I can always smell cigars through my mask. What he’s exhaling, I’m breathing. Oh well. i still think it helps block water droplets coming from me, like when I’m talking to a vendor.
If I go to the store and my mask saves me from directly inhaling the coronavirus where is the virus now? Did it fall to the ground or get stuck in my mask? I leave my mask in the car after I use it thinking that the Florida heat which has to get well over 100 degrees in the car this time of year will kill it but I don't know that for sure.

I read some kind of study they did with re-usable grocery bags in the transmission of the Norovirus and they found that those bags were complicit in spreading the virus. So why wouldn't it be the same or worse with masks if you don't use them properly?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 pm
dualstow wrote:
If I go to the store and my mask saves me from directly inhaling the coronavirus where is the virus now? Did it fall to the ground or get stuck in my mask? I leave my mask in the car after I use it thinking that the Florida heat which has to get well over 100 degrees in the car this time of year will kill it but I don't know that for sure.

I read some kind of study they did with re-usable grocery bags in the transmission of the Norovirus and they found that those bags were complicit in spreading the virus. So why wouldn't it be the same or worse with masks if you don't use them properly?
That goes counter to what I'd heard the doctor say.....that there has not been one documented case of anyone catching virus via a surface, which I assume a bag would be considered being?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm
pp4me wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 pm
dualstow wrote:

That goes counter to what I'd heard the doctor say.....that there has not been one documented case of anyone catching virus via a surface, which I assume a bag would be considered being?

Vinny
How do they know with any degree of accuracy where someone caught the virus? With all the statistics being assembled on "cases", do they even ask questions about where they might have gotten it? Haven't been tested myself but I'm guessing not.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm

If the virus generally isn’t transmitted via surfaces, that would seem to imply that the amount of virus in saliva droplets from a person’s mouth is negligible. But that would invalidate the main premise of wearing masks to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2.

What a confusing world we currently live in. <shrug>
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm
If the virus generally isn’t transmitted via surfaces, that would seem to imply that the amount of virus in saliva droplets from a person’s mouth is negligible.
why?
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
If the virus generally isn’t transmitted via surfaces, that would seem to imply that the amount of virus in saliva droplets from a person’s mouth is negligible. But that would invalidate the main premise of wearing masks to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2.

What a confusing world we currently live in. <shrug>
Is that what it is implying?

The doctor also stated that the main determinants are the amount of dosage you are exposed to and for how long.

Therefore there is going to be negligible exposure from a surface. But if you have it and you are speaking loudly to me, constantly spewing droplets out of your mouth, the closer I am to you and the longer I am near you is going to be my ultimate cumulative exposure.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm
Tortoise wrote:
If the virus generally isn’t transmitted via surfaces, that would seem to imply that the amount of virus in saliva droplets from a person’s mouth is negligible.
why?
Because if saliva droplets contained a significant amount of the virus, then presumably they could land on doorknobs and other objects that many people touch, and end up in someone’s mouth, nose, or eyes, right?

Yet the doctor that Vinnie talked to said that there are no documented cases of SARS-CoV-2 transmission via surfaces.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
why?
Because if saliva droplets contained a significant amount of the virus, then presumably they could land on doorknobs and other objects that many people touch, and end up in someone’s mouth, nose, or eyes, right?

Yet the doctor that Vinnie talked to said that there are no documented cases of SARS-CoV-2 transmission via surfaces.
Aren't we looking at odds?

What are the odds of significant amount of virus landing on a surface? Then surviving? Then someone picking up an appreciable amount of virus from the surface?

Compare that to my scenario where I am 3 feet away from you, you are speaking loudly, spewing droplets all over the place, and I'm in your presence for 15 minutes. Seems like those odds are infinitesimally greater of virus being transmitted to me than via a surface?

And, I did not talk to any doctor. The doctor I was referring to was the podcast I'd (on Saturday) put in a forum post and then followed up with extensive notes from it.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Not a bad explanation, Vinny. So transmission via surfaces may be rare because the viral load tends to be much lower than when fluids travel directly from face to face.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm
Not a bad explanation, Vinny. So transmission via surfaces may be rare because the viral load tends to be much lower than when fluids travel directly from face to face.
That was my (accountant's) translation of putting together all I heard him say. I'd have more faith in your interpretation an an engineer than mine.

I regularly tell everyone that I'm good when it comes to what can be done while sitting in front of a computer. I'm not so good in figuring in things out that are in the physical world.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 am

i ignored the parens at first and thought, Vinny has an accountant? O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:11 am

I had to flip back a page, I thought this was the thread where we were talking about the parens and frens that were partying next to Corto.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:02 pm

I will wear a mask if I am forced. And then, only with objection.

I don't belong to a cult. I don't believe in superstition, nor pseudoscience.I don't want to further cult-like behavior and superstitious action, nor any other form of groupthink or virtue signaling.

I will not consent to voluntarily contributing to the orchestrated panic occurring within the country at the moment.

if I fall ill with the Wuhan cough, I will voluntarily self quarantine.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I broke out the shemagh today. Weather’s not as hot as last week and it’s getting easier to breathe. i could wear the shemagh in public for the rest of my life.

#ShowerThought: are the dogs of the world getting used to masked men?
RIP Marcello Gandini
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:46 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
why?

Aren't we looking at odds?

What are the odds of significant amount of virus landing on a surface? Then surviving? Then someone picking up an appreciable amount of virus from the surface?

Compare that to my scenario where I am 3 feet away from you, you are speaking loudly, spewing droplets all over the place, and I'm in your presence for 15 minutes. Seems like those odds are infinitesimally greater of virus being transmitted to me than via a surface?

And, I did not talk to any doctor. The doctor I was referring to was the podcast I'd (on Saturday) put in a forum post and then followed up with extensive notes from it.

Vinny
So the cashier at my local gas station who hand sanitizes after touching every credit card is overdoing it?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Someone is catching this virus somehow. From the majority of the forum, one would think it’s nearly impossible. And yet, the numbers continue to climb.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:36 pm
Just the horses (showing my age ;) )
Attachments
Masked Man.png
Masked Man.png (449.12 KiB) Viewed 5930 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Hal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:21 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:36 pm
Just the horses (showing my age ;) )
It’s funny you posted that. My roofer did some work and took off abruptly for the next job. I was telling someone, “I didn’t even get a chance to thank that masked man” O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 pm

It’s funny you posted that. My roofer did some work and took off abruptly for the next job. I was telling someone, “I didn’t even get a chance to thank that masked man” O0
I do like your humour. You're a sick man, dualstow.
Mark
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:04 pm
Someone is catching this virus somehow. From the majority of the forum, one would think it’s nearly impossible. And yet, the numbers continue to climb.
I don't know about the other thoughtcriminals, but I don't dispute that people are getting it. IMO we've figured out that this isn't the Black Death and shouldn't be so tolerant of draconian countermeasures.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 pm

There are people doing work up on roofs in the middle of the summer wearing masks??
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:48 am

iu.jpeg
iu.jpeg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.